Ma,ct,ma Transfers

E

emil02

I am moving to CT for about a year to my parents house so I can save up and then i am moving back to MA what are the proper legal steps and also what can I do with purchases.
EX: can I purchase a firearm in CT and legally transfer back to MASS.

Whatever you bring back with you from CT is fine as long as it doesn't fall afoul of the MA Assault Weapons Ban and it does NOT have post-ban magazines that hold over 10 rounds. Do NOT worry about the AG's list as that only applies to guns being transferred by an FFL. You do NOT need to file an FA10 on whatever guns you bought in CT when you move back to MA.

And you'll make a fortune if you buy several guns that are not available here in MA due to the AG's regs and bring them back and sell them. Third Gen Glocks, H&K's, Kimbers... can't get 'em here unless someone moves in with one and decides to sell it.

post ban mags ten rounds so pre ban from ct applies to MASS? or is that a federal law? im unsure of all the laws I try to read them as much as possible but they are confusing to me.

The laws are confusing deliberately because Massachusetts treats all firearms owners like criminals to begin with.

To be brief, high cap magazines made before 9/13/1994 are legal in Massachusetts. Any mags made after that date MUST be ten rounds or less otherwise possession of such (even when simply traveling through the state) is a felony.

vell, ONLY exceptions to your statement are:

- LEO, or
- FOPA traveling THRU but NO stops in MA for more than food/water/gas/bathroom breaks.

vell, ONLY exceptions to your statement are:

- LEO, or
- FOPA traveling THRU but NO stops in MA for more than food/water/gas/bathroom breaks.

One more exception as explained in Chapter 140-131G which may be found at http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131g.htm

Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.

Rob,

That is NOT an exception to the "new" hi-cap law.

They are allowed to bring their handguns in w/o LTC, but otherwise must comply with the AWB.

Check my info out with a call to Ron Glidden if you wish, BTDT.

That said, I'm sure many competitors come in with "MA-illegal" hi-caps and don't get in any trouble . . . but if they ever get jammed up, they will be screwed for life.

Well FOPA actually doesn't say anything about mags/ammo.

So it's a good guess on my part, but consult a lawyer (IANAL) if in doubt.

I am moving to CT for about a year to my parents house so I can save up and then i am moving back to MA what are the proper legal steps and also what can I do with purchases.

This is an example of how using incorrect terminology can lead to serious confusion that the correct terminology would have prevented. A "transfer" means a change in ownership, not simply relocating a firearm from one place to another. If you purchase a firearm while you're a CT resident, then a transfer has taken place there. If, however, you later move (or move back) to Massachusetts, no new transfer has occurred, so there's nothing to register. Assuming that the firearm that you purchased in CT isn't what MA likes to call an "assault weapon", then it's perfectly legal to bring it with you to MA, and absolutely no new paperwork needs to be filed. OTOH, if you move first and only later bring the firearm to MA, then MA law requires you to file an FA-10 as a "registration", not a transfer.

Ken

One more comment: All of the above applies assuming you officially change your residency. If you simply move, but don't change your drivers license, etc. then you can't buy handguns there at all and you will have to file FA-10's on long guns you buy there when you bring them back.

If you do officially move, then you give up your MA LTC and will have to reapply when you return, subject to whatever restrictions there may be at that time (given the local pd, etc.). However, you'll be able to bring back what ever you buy subject to the restrictions above.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom