• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA compliant "ambidextrous" firearms

cb1

i will applying for my LTC this fall. i'm left handed and shoot left handed. the only firearms i'm aware of that are "ambidextrous" are glocks, and a couple HKs. since neither of these are on the AG's secret list, does anyone have any suggestions as to what i could get NEW here in MA that is lefty-friendly? I know that a revolver would probably be the way to go but i'm also curious as to what else might be available to me.

i'd appreciate any info/input. thanks.

The S&W M&P is ambidextrous. The slide stop lever and mag release are lefty friendly. It's on the list and is a nice gun once you get the horrible MA trigger fixed.

Last edited:
Beretta Cx4 Storm can be swapped easily. Not sure if it is MA compliant... but have seen some people with possession of them in MA.

S&W M&Ps. The slide lock is ambidextrous and the mag release can be flipped to the other side with nothing more than a screwdriver. The release itself does not need to be changed for a lefty part.

The 9mm and .40 are MA compliant.

To bring the trigger up to speed, I recommend you hire Greg Derr, a famous local gunsmith, to do the work. He's a dealer member here, and his web site is www.derrprecision.com.

I'll add another post in favor of the M&P. I actually replaced my mag catch yesterday, took me less than a minute.

Note: As a lefty you can learn to easily adapt to righty guns. I have lefty bolt action rifles as well as lefty shotguns and Ambi handguns. But I have no problems operating ANY righty gun including bolt action rifles. I just need to adapt slightly. Also, as an instructor I always demonstrate righty.

--Mike

Mike, do you have the mag release flipped on your M&P, or do you just use your trigger finger?

I do have them flipped. On other guns I use the middle finger on my left hand to do the mag release and the trigger finger to do the slide lock.

+1 for the M&Ps or 1911s. I'm a lefty and have the mag release flipped on both my compact and full size M&P. They work great. The 1911's mag release is only for righties but with an ambi safety its semi left friendly.

Note: As a lefty you can learn to easily adapt to righty guns. I have lefty bolt action rifles as well as lefty shotguns and Ambi handguns. But I have no problems operating ANY righty gun including bolt action rifles. I just need to adapt slightly. Also, as an instructor I always demonstrate righty.

--Mike

But then I have a lefty son so I started to buy lefty guns. I have Benelli Super Black Eagle, left hand ejection.

--Mike

+1

I'm a lefty and shoot pistol lefty, but I own too many guns that are righty only, so I adapt. The ones that I do own that will switch over, I leave them set up righty. The last thing I want is to be wondering where the controls are on the gun I just grabbed. Leave them all righty and learn to deal with it.

and yes ........... the M&P is a natural choice, unless you want to go "old school" then just get a really sweet revolver [smile]

S&W M&Ps. The slide lock is ambidextrous and the mag release can be flipped to the other side with nothing more than a screwdriver. The release itself does not need to be changed for a lefty part.

The 9mm and .40 are MA compliant.

To bring the trigger up to speed, I recommend you hire Greg Derr, a famous local gunsmith, to do the work. He's a dealer member here, and his web site is www.derrprecision.com.

i've been looking at the M&Ps and i have a question on the trigger. as a newbie to the wonderful world of firearms i'm a bit confused by the "hammerless"/striker fired pistols. is the M&P DA/SA? only SA? it would seem problematic to have to unholster a weapon and pull back the slide before firing when in a self-defense type situation.

edit: I've tried doing some research on this myself and I've found some people calling the M&P a SA only pistol and others claiming it is DAO. Just trying to get some clarification.

and thanks to everyone for their responses.

Last edited:
Walther P99 series also has true ambidextrous magazine release. They advertised a reversible/ambidextrous slide lock lever, but I have never seen one on a gun in person.

i've been looking at the M&Ps and i have a question on the trigger. as a newbie to the wonderful world of firearms i'm a bit confused by the "hammerless"/striker fired pistols. is the M&P DA/SA? only SA? it would seem problematic to have to unholster a weapon and pull back the slide before firing when in a self-defense type situation.

edit: I've tried doing some research on this myself and I've found some people calling the M&P a SA only pistol and others claiming it is DAO. Just trying to get some clarification.

and thanks to everyone for their responses.

It's a DAO but not a true DAO because you still need to move the slide at least 3/8" before it lets you click it again. Think of it more like a safe action sear like a glock.

Back
Top Bottom