• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig M400 Tread MA Compliant

Alright folks here it is again the usual how to build an AR15 that is MA compliant chat .... welcome to the grind.

I'm going to put this down as all assumptions for the time being but let me outline a few assumptions first that I want to get off my chest. Let's assume I was to purchase the following which is of course all legal to do in MA ...

1) Sig M400 Tread "Assembly Kit" meaning upper and lower receiver
2) Purchased from a reputable FFL who sold it as an assembly kit and it was derated as such
3) A nice 30 round magazine that is manufactured prior to the ban as evidenced by the same reputable FFL

How do I make it MA compliant because as soon as I hypothetically put the lower and the upper together and insert that magazine I have 1 week to register it with the state and in that hypothetical state it would be illegal therefore making me a terrifying felon!

The reason that it is illegal is the fact that this particular model would have a threaded barrel with a flash hider, a pistol grip and a telescopic stock and is capable of removing the magazine. Truly terrifying stuff if you ask me!

Now the main question, it's my understanding that there are 2 options which I have outlined below and I want to check if I'm correct in this;

1) PIN the magazine (10 rounds) which would automatically make it compliant and negate the need to remove anything else?

2) Keep the detachable magazine meaning I can use a 30 round mag however remove the flash hider and install a muzzle break that is pinned and/or welded, also pin the stock in position so it cannot be moved thus meaning the weapon now passes the test of the two features?

Follow up question to this is what would you do and why?

TL : DR Remove the flash suppressor, pin and weld a comp (or target crown the barrel). Pin the adjustable stock and use only pre-ban or >10 round mags.

Or don't. There are no absolutes in MA; big boy rules.
So main question then is why do that, which I'm assuming would be a bit more expensive, as opposed to pinning the magazine and just using the 10 rounder that came with it and using a side loader?

So main question then is why do that, which I'm assuming would be a bit more expensive, as opposed to pinning the magazine and just using the 10 rounder that came with it and using a side loader?
Because pinned 10 round magazines are less useful than pinned muzzle devices and stocks

NB: You cannot pin a LCFD in a new firearm without making an illegal LC firearm.

Because pinned 10 round magazines are less useful than pinned muzzle devices and stocks

NB: You cannot pin a LCFD in a new firearm without making an illegal LC firearm.
I'm assuming LCFD means large capacity feeding device and if that's the case it would be the 10 round magazine which when pinned would circumvent the issue of it being an assault weapon ... no?

$50 Pin and Weld a comp
$50-$100 for the comp itself
$50 to pin the stock
(No bayonet lug on these if I remember correctly so no need to remove)

Total: $150-$250 depending on the gunsmith used and comp chosen

Not having a "California-style" side loading AR that your friends will should tease you about? Priceless.

Re: my comment about big boy rule - not just being obtuse. The laws in this state really don't have any guarantees of compliance. Any state (such as MA) with a clear penchant for "process being the punishment"will require you to judge your risk tolerance

Stop with the permanently affixed magazine stuff. That’s the last option to make a complaint MA rifle. It sucks to load. It sucks to clear stoppages. It sucks to practice any kind of function drills on. It sucks.

Before you assemble anything, have a shop pin and weld a comp or brake on. Depending on the FFL, they may be able to do it for you. You should be able to pin the stock yourself.

Alright back with another additional question. I'm just thinking all the laws written are relevant to the purchase of a new firearm.... I didn't however buy a firearm. I bought the parts individually to make it a firearm. As such if I were to just assemble the kit and leave it as is then it would still be legal as it was never a transferred firearm in the first place or am I just applying way to much common sense there.

Alright back with another additional question. I'm just thinking all the laws written are relevant to the purchase of a new firearm.... I didn't however buy a firearm. I bought the parts individually to make it a firearm. As such if I were to just assemble the kit and leave it as is then it would still be legal as it was never a transferred firearm in the first place or am I just applying way to much common sense there.
Just to clarify this, the law applies to the PURCHASE of a firearm not the OWNERSHIP of the said firearm. If I never purchased it as a firearm then registering it as is should make no difference is the point I'm trying to certain.

If you pin your 10 round mag you effectively remove 2 illegal features so now you can use a flash hider and adjustable stock!!!

/sarc

Just to clarify this, the law applies to the PURCHASE of a firearm not the OWNERSHIP of the said firearm. If I never purchased it as a firearm then registering it as is should make no difference is the point I'm trying to certain.
Read the assault weapons language again. Possession of an assault weapon is illegal, not just buying one. MA gun laws don’t have a loophole where you can build a non-compliant gun.

Read the assault weapons language again. Possession of an assault weapon is illegal, not just buying one. MA gun laws don’t have a loophole where you can build a non-compliant gun.
What he said.

Possession of so-called Assault Weapons is a crime in MA

Back
Top Bottom