MA Assault Weapons Ban "AWB" FAQ

I understand that on preban ar you can throw whatever you want on it. However with a post ban ar you need to have the comp/muzzle break pinned, welded, etc so that the "barrel" threads are covered. Is there anything saying that you can not have quick detach threads on the comp/break? Or once it is pinned/welded it is considered part of the barrel thus needing to be covered as well?

What do you mean by quick detach threads? If you're talking about lugs, like something resembling the HK-style 3 lug system, or the surefire lug system, those are not threads/threaded barrels. If it screws on on allows something to be screwed on (eg, threaded) then it counts as an evil feature.

-Mike

Yeah, I was referring to the 3 lug (didn't know the term). Ugh.. Looks like I am not going to find a cheap way around building my AR SBR suppressor host. Got to find a reasonably priced pre ban lower.

What do you mean by quick detach threads? If you're talking about lugs, like something resembling the HK-style 3 lug system, or the surefire lug system, those are not threads/threaded barrels. If it screws on on allows something to be screwed on (eg, threaded) then it counts as an evil feature.

-Mike

Someone, I think it was CNN said that having a muzzle break (they called it a flash hider) made the gun more lethal.

What am I missing? Does the muzzle break increase velocity, make the bullet penetrate better? If I get shot I want to get shot by a gun without a muzzle break, I guess it will hurt less.

Makes the shooter more lethal. They majored in news, not English. It's like saying a pen misspells more words if it has a ballpoint.

Someone, I think it was CNN said that having a muzzle break (they called it a flash hider) made the gun more lethal.

What am I missing? Does the muzzle break increase velocity, make the bullet penetrate better? If I get shot I want to get shot by a gun without a muzzle break, I guess it will hurt less.

There is a difference between a flash hider and a muzzle brake.... Neither make anything more deadly (except the YHM muzzle brake I use which is sharp and pointy)

Don't get your information from talking heads.....

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Yeah, I was referring to the 3 lug (didn't know the term). Ugh.. Looks like I am not going to find a cheap way around building my AR SBR suppressor host. Got to find a reasonably priced pre ban lower.

Well, if you use a lug system then you don't have to worry about evil features, that's my whole point. Just make sure the thing with the lugs on it is permanently attached to the threads.

Why would you care about a suppressor anyways unless you're a SOT? You're never getting one in MA legally anyways. If you're gonna run it out of state just keep the whole thing out of state and **** the ban.

-Mike

Ahh okay, guess I misunderstood.

Well, if you use a lug system then you don't have to worry about evil features, that's my whole point. Just make sure the thing with the lugs on it is permanently attached to the threads.

I know that I will never get the suppressors into the state. But I do not want to wait 2-5 years until I move back to Maine or possibly NH to start collecting them. I want to be able to run it in both states.

Why would you care about a suppressor anyways unless you're a SOT? You're never getting one in MA legally anyways. If you're gonna run it out of state just keep the whole thing out of state and **** the ban.

I was told today that it is now illegal to use a pre-ban hi cap mag in a post ban gun. Has something changed that I missed?

I was always going by what I read and you couldn't possess a new hi cap mag and you could be charged with out even having a gun or bullets to fit. The possession of the mag was enough to ruin your day. It was my feeling that the gun and magazine were separate issues. I had thought it was fine to use or possess with a class A unrestricted license pre ban mags in any gun.

I was told today that it is now illegal to use a pre-ban hi cap mag in a post ban gun. Has something changed that I missed?

I was always going by what I read and you couldn't possess a new hi cap mag and you could be charged with out even having a gun or bullets to fit. The possession of the mag was enough to ruin your day. It was my feeling that the gun and magazine were separate issues. I had thought it was fine to use or possess with a class A unrestricted license pre ban mags in any gun.

Whoever told you that is wrong - I have heard the same thing repeated in the past. You are correct that having a post-ban 11+ round mag is illegal, and you are also correct that you can use any pre-ban mags in any gun you want, whether it was made before 1994 or not. The advantage of a pre-ban gun is that you are allowed to have the "evil features" like a flash hider or collapsible stock.

Whoever told you that is wrong - I have heard the same thing repeated in the past. You are correct that having a post-ban 11+ round mag is illegal, and you are also correct that you can use any pre-ban mags in any gun you want, whether it was made before 1994 or not. The advantage of a pre-ban gun is that you are allowed to have the "evil features" like a flash hider or collapsible stock.

I agree with all above and was just really checking to see if there were some RECENT changes I missed.
Thanks

I agree with all above and was just really checking to see if there were some RECENT changes I missed.
Thanks

Heh, I think if something relating to the MA AWB had changed recently there would have been a veritable EXPLOSION of angry posts on NES.

Expect dealers and LEOs to "invent" new laws daily from now until the foreseeable future. It's all part of the knee jerk reactions to the CT tragedy as well as general ignorance of gun laws (in MA and many other states as well).

Expect dealers and LEOs to "invent" new laws daily from now until the foreseeable future. It's all part of the knee jerk reactions to the CT tragedy as well as general ignorance of gun laws (in MA and many other states as well).

So you agree that a pre-ban mag can still be used in any gun no matter when the gun was made?

Background:

How so called "Assault Weapons" are defined by the law:

Rifles:
(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

NOTE WELL: Given (B), this means that things like PUMP and BOLT ACTION rifles are EXEMPT from the AWB.

Oh my God why has nobody built a pump- or bolt-action rifle with rails for attaching lights, lasers, optics and made with every one of those other features, standard? i, ii, iii, iv, v. Must accept preban ar mags.

Listen to mlaboss.

- - - Updated - - -

So you agree that a pre-ban mag can still be used in any gun no matter when the gun was made?
I do.

Show us in the law where it says you can't.

Oh my God why has nobody built a pump- or bolt-action rifle with rails for attaching lights, lasers, optics and made with every one of those other features, standard? i, ii, iii, iv, v. Must accept preban ar mags.

Remington had a pump operated rifle that accepted AR-15 mags. It went over like a lead balloon, though, because the cost was such that one could buy an AR for a little more money.

-Mike

Remington had a pump operated rifle that accepted AR-15 mags. It went over like a lead balloon, though, because the cost was such that one could buy an AR for a little more money.

-Mike

Mossberg's got a .223 bolt gun out (the MVP) that takes AR mags. It's got a more reasonable price tag (<$600 last I checked)

Total Noob question, I know, but I read the entire forum and haven't seen anything definitive. Since there is almost never a S/N or date of manufacture stamped on a magazine, there is no way to prove whether it is pre- or post-ban. And Mass. law doesn't provide specific guidance that the burden of proof is on the state.

However, general legal principle is that the state has the burden of proof. Is anyone aware of a case where someone was prosecuted under the AWB for having a large-capacity magazine?

I have a new LTC and want to be very careful not to violate the law. I know avoiding LC mags altogether is the safest route, but if there are no likely legal issues with having a pre-ban magazine (even if you can't absolutely prove its date of manufacture), I'm willing to take the small chance.

Matty, welcome to NES.

Yes, there have been cases where people have been charged with possession of post-ban large cap mags. There is a thread or two here with specific info.

Total Noob question, I know, but I read the entire forum and haven't seen anything definitive. Since there is almost never a S/N or date of manufacture stamped on a magazine, there is no way to prove whether it is pre- or post-ban. And Mass. law doesn't provide specific guidance that the burden of proof is on the state.

However, general legal principle is that the state has the burden of proof. Is anyone aware of a case where someone was prosecuted under the AWB for having a large-capacity magazine?

I have a new LTC and want to be very careful not to violate the law. I know avoiding LC mags altogether is the safest route, but if there are no likely legal issues with having a pre-ban magazine (even if you can't absolutely prove its date of manufacture), I'm willing to take the small chance.

There are certain magazines (such as Magpul PMAGS) that were not manufactured prior to the 1994 ban, so those are definitively post-ban. Some magazines are date stamped, but otherwise you are right that it can be hard to tell for sure whether a mag is pre or post ban. I have a bunch of aluminum 30 rounders that were sold to me as pre-ban, and they have no date stamps. As far as I'm concerned that's good enough.

am in ma, have never seen a 30 rnd AR15 mag. So if i went to lgs in say NH, and just wanted to purchase a mag for my AR. What would i get. Would the mag have a date stamp on it? Are all post ban mags date stamped. I feel like the country boy who has never seen a city;-) What wonderous world exists outside of People republic of MA;-)?

am in ma, have never seen a 30 rnd AR15 mag. So if i went to lgs in say NH, and just wanted to purchase a mag for my AR. What would i get. Would the mag have a date stamp on it? Are all post ban mags date stamped. I feel like the country boy who has never seen a city;-) What wonderous world exists outside of People republic of MA;-)?

No, not all post-ban mags are date stamped. Some mags are date stamped, and in that case it's easy to tell pre-post ban status. If you're shopping in NH, they may not have any pre-ban mags since NH doesn't have an AWB. Unless they explicitly advertise the mags as pre-ban, assume anything you buy in NH is post-ban.

No, not all post-ban mags are date stamped. Some mags are date stamped, and in that case it's easy to tell pre-post ban status. If you're shopping in NH, they may not have any pre-ban mags since NH doesn't have an AWB. Unless they explicitly advertise the mags as pre-ban, assume anything you buy in NH is post-ban.

Thanks for the quick reply. Understand what you are saying, but if they are not stamped how would you know. Say I want to purchase pre bans. I find someone or lgs saying they are pre bans, but in fact, they are just not date stamped. They might have been made yesterday, but without a stamp, how would I or anyone know that. Is there some codes on the inside of mag somewhere from the manufacturer, lot codes, DOM codes, etc?

I ask out of concern becuase I have seen people offering pre ban mags especially with all the hype now going on. I am worried someone just went to VT, NH, ME, etc., got some non dated mags, and are offering as pre bans...

Thanks for the quick reply. Understand what you are saying, but if they are not stamped how would you know. Say I want to purchase pre bans. I find someone or lgs saying they are pre bans, but in fact, they are just not date stamped. They might have been made yesterday, but without a stamp, how would I or anyone know that. Is there some codes on the inside of mag somewhere from the manufacturer, lot codes, DOM codes, etc?

I ask out of concern becuase I have seen people offering pre ban mags especially with all the hype now going on. I am worried someone just went to VT, NH, ME, etc., got some non dated mags, and are offering as pre bans...

If there's no date stamp, then you can't really know with 100% confidence that the mags are pre-ban. It boils down to trust - if you trust that the seller is being truthful when they advertise their mags as pre-ban, then go ahead and buy them. You decide what an acceptable level of risk is for you, and buy accordingly.

As an aside, even mags with a pre-ban date stamp could conceivably be post-ban. Someone could stamp a brand-new mag with a pre-ban date.

At this point most people buying mags, regardless of location, probably don't care one way or another. It's on you to make your own value/risk judgement/assessment with regards to whatever offers you have in front of you.

-Mike

Ok so just going over what makes rifle acceptable. So could I potentially get rid of the pistol grip on an ar and be allowed to put a flash suppressor on it or maybe a grenade launcher? The requirement is at least two of the following.. It's not something I'd like to do but I'm curious if it is legal. Sounds it but ya never know

"Rifles:
(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher; "

...So could I potentially get rid of the pistol grip on an ar and be allowed to put a flash suppressor on it or maybe a grenade launcher?

Yes, you are allowed any one of the enumerated features.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the helpful info here on NES! I've been reading as many Q&As on here as I can but I've yet to find my question. With regard to the proposed MA legislation, is there reason to consider buying a pre '94 AR now? I thought I read something about an AW ban with the only exception for a MA resident being a pre ban rifle which was "otherwise lawfully possessed" prior to '94. Is there a chance that newer ARs/AKs would not be grandfathered, or in any way treated differently, than pre '94 rifles? Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom