[MA] Applying for a LTC, But Not Sure What an Interview Consists Of

Hey, guys. As the title indicates, I've since gone ahead and applied for a LTC here in Arlington, MA, which is thankfully a green town. However, I'm not sure what to expect from their version of the interviewing process other than fingerprinting. Of course, I plan to dress professionally and answer questions as to why I'm applying for such a license. Can anyone from the town provide some insight on this? I'm just making sure I'm prepared.

With that said, this might seem like an awfully ridiculous question to ask, but on one of the required forms an applicant from Middlesex County must sign, which happens to be the "Acknowledgement of Limits on the Use of Deadly Force" form, it vaguely mentions to write down a "witness." I have to provide my own signature on this form, of course, but it's unclear as to what "witness" means. Do I print my own name on this line, or does someone else I know have to print their name on the "witness" line to prove to law enforcement that I've acknowledged said form? The vagueness is killing me.

Thank you for your help in advance, guys!

Last edited:
Interview for me consisted of fingerprints and picture taking. They take your application and firearm safety certificate. That was it. That was years ago, but from what I understand, this is still the case. I know some towns actually "interview" you, as in asking why you want the license, what you do for work, yadda yadda. No idea if that is the case in your town. There is a whole thread in under the mass laws forum that you could look at.

thread from last year.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/280362-Arlington-MA

looks like it's easy.

Last edited:
I wouldn't even bother dressing up, but maybe that's just me. I showed up to my Brookline interview in shorts and a hoodie. I'm not interviewing for a job I'm interviewing to exercise a right damn it! But I digress. As teaser said, a lot of the questions are gonna be of the basic "Why do you want it" and "What do you do" variety if they even ask you anything at all

I wouldn't even bother dressing up, but maybe that's just me. I showed up to my Brookline interview in shorts and a hoodie. I'm not interviewing for a job I'm interviewing to exercise a right damn it

Agreed. I dropped my application off on a Saturday, LO called me that next Monday morning at 8am for an interview. Asked me to come down immediately for an interview. I'm a mechanic, so paint yourself a picture as to what i may of looked like. I get to the Police department and the first thing out of my mouth was, "sorry i'm not dressed properly, i wasn't expecting a call this quick".... he says... "i don't give a shit about your clothing". lol

As far as the interview goes, it was really laid back for me. I think it all really comes down to being able to justify having an unrestricted LTC. Damn "may issue" state we live in! I applied as a business owner, so i had no difficulty. But my advice would be to really take your time applying. Maybe take some live fire classes and maybe write a nice letter explaining why you would like your LTC to be unrestricted. I wouldn't take the 4 hr safety course on a Saturday, then go and apply on a Monday. Perhaps take some private lessons to show him that you are trying to better understand guns and gun safety. Good luck!

Unfortunately, a lot of this BS still varies from town to town. Things such as the "Acknowledgement" are not required by statue. As for a "witness" that is someone who watches you sign to verify it is your signature. The "interview" should be no more than asking you to produce the required safety certificate and verifying the information asked for on the application form. That is all it is in many towns including my own.

Good luck.

BTW, if "The vagueness is killing" you now, just wait. The more you learn about the ins and outs of MA firearms law, the more you will question.

When I read and signed the "Acknowledgement of Limits on the Use of Deadly Force" nonsense the licensing officer was the witness.

Witness actually means that the person signing that is attesting to the fact that he/she witnessed you sign the form. Nobody really does that but if it is signed there it would be the officer/clerk you hand the form to.

Does Arlington really require this form?? My town has used it >25 years, I know that some others do as well in various counties.

Don't sweat it in Arlington, likely you sit down with someone they ask you question or read your answers from the form and type it into the MIRCS system, take a picture, a set of prints, you REVIEW it (CAREFULLY as any errors are "under pains and penalties of perjury") before signing it and go home and wait.

Personal Comment:
- I NEVER dress "professionally" for such things. I dress "business casual" neatly but nothing special. A suit/tuxedo/evening gown is not going to change the outcome of your application even in the worst of towns.

I am not in Arlington, but know people from there. They don't put you thru any BS.

I've had my LTC for 40 years, thru 2 chiefs that didn't want to issue them to anyone and liked to throw BS stuff at applicants and survived unrestricted. Similarly my Wife has had hers almost as long.

Good luck and don't worry. Just be honest.

My interview consisted of a little information chit chat, fingerprints and pictures. Was in and out in less than an hour and it was my wife and I at the same time.

MA LTC Interview

+ Fingerprinted like a criminal sex offender
+ Picture taken (again like a sex offender)
+ Asked questions on the LTC application form while some dude making $20+/hr fills out the form on his computer
+ Sign some crap
+ Give them money

Then wait 6 months...

Remember you are dealing with cops...answer only the questions they ask..."Do you know what time it is?"....correct answer = "Yes"

MA LTC Interview

+ Fingerprinted like a criminal sex offender
+ Picture taken (again like a sex offender)
+ Asked questions on the LTC application form while some dude making $20+/hr fills out the form on his computer
+ Sign some crap
+ Give them money

Then wait 6 months...

Remember you are dealing with cops...answer only the questions they ask..."Do you know what time it is?"....correct answer = "Yes"

Pretty much mirrors my experience in a VERY green town.
Reason for application "All lawful purposes"
Chat with the licensing officer while he transcribed the form into two or three different systems, told him had I known I'd have brought the PDF in copy-paste'able format.
I pointed out that I intentionally left "build" blank and asked "Whats' the legal description for 'Tall and Fat?'" - He laughed and said "We'll just go with 'large!'"
I then chastised him for changing my hair color from my self-described "brown" to "gray or partially gray." [smile]

Letters of reference were not reviewed, those persons were not called.
Licensing officer was visibly pleased that I took an extra class at MFS on Mass laws (given by Glidden, at the time.)
There was also no question that that class and my cert for the mass-mandatory class was over a year old.

My wait was just over three months, IIRC.

OP, I just got my 1st LTC in Arlington earlier this year. The process was straightforward. Don't let people scare you with their jaded take on the "generic" MA process.

Here are the Arlington specific instructions and the application in one PDF: http://www.arlingtonma.gov/home/showdocument?id=19643

The process was just as noted in the PDF, except that when I brought in my application, they immediately scheduled my interview (for just 1 week later). Not sure if that always happens, but it was a pleasant surprise.

The entire process took less than 2 months. Almost all of that was taken up by the State level background checks, etc, which is completely out of the Arlington Police's hands. The employees I interacted with were all very professional. They basically asked no questions other than verifying a few bits of info on the application. What you wear does not matter at all, but I'd suggest at least dressing "neat" (jeans, decent shoes, a clean shirt).

Good luck!

Interview processes can vary greatly from town to town. Some people have reported that the LO was "another gun guy" and the "interview" consisted of mutually geeking out about guns. In other towns people have reported that the process was highly adversarial, especially if someone was trying to get an unrestricted LTC in a town not noted for issuing them to just any qualified applicant. Your mileage will almost certainly vary. Arlington is widely reported to be "green" so your interview will very likely tend towards the "easy" end of the scale.

Dress? Business casual. Don't look like a vagrant. Don't wear a suit, either, unless you normally wear professional dress at work and you're going straight to the PD after work.

My own experience in a "green" town was that it was fairly low-key: why do you want an LTC, how much experience do you have, that kind of thing. It was friendly but I definitely got the sense that the interviewer (not sure he was a police officer) was trying to read my body language and the tone of my responses. I also got asked some of the same questions that are asked on the written application. If you get questions like that, make sure your verbal answers are consistent with what you've written on the application form.

Always be aware that as friendly as things might get, you're being evaluated on what you say and how you say it. Honestly, though, don't let that scare you. As long as you're honest, treat the process with the proper gravitas, and don't come off like either someone who's overly fearful of violent crime or as some kind of tacti-tard vigilante cop wanna-bee, you'll likely be fine, and will do as well as your town's process will allow anyone to do.

I must have done it right because I got an unrestricted LTC.

I am in Grafton. When I applied, I went to the PD with all my paperwork and my license. A very nice lady came out from behind the glass, took my paperwork and went in the back for about 5 mintues and then came back out and brought me into a room where I was photographed. Then she and I went into another room, where we were met by I believe the Sergeant on duty. She logged into a computer and they digitally fingerprinted me while he and I joked around about me looking like a criminal (I do not look like a criminal or shady at all and was dressed in a nice polo) and then he transmitted my application as soon as we were done and told me I should get a call from them in about 4 weeks when my LTC came back from the state. In just shy of 4 weeks, the nice lady called and told me to come pick up my LTC any time. Very easy process in my very green town.

No need to dress up. I went in a sweatshirt and jeans. If I were to do it again, I'd wear my XXL t-shirt with saggin' jeans like i wore back in high school when I was a homie.

Interview processes can vary greatly from town to town. Some people have reported that the LO was "another gun guy" and the "interview" consisted of mutually geeking out about guns. In other towns people have reported that the process was highly adversarial, especially if someone was trying to get an unrestricted LTC in a town not noted for issuing them to just any qualified applicant. Your mileage will almost certainly vary. Arlington is widely reported to be "green" so your interview will very likely tend towards the "easy" end of the scale.

Dress? Business casual. Don't look like a vagrant. Don't wear a suit, either, unless you normally wear professional dress at work and you're going straight to the PD after work.

My own experience in a "green" town was that it was fairly low-key: why do you want an LTC, how much experience do you have, that kind of thing. It was friendly but I definitely got the sense that the interviewer (not sure he was a police officer) was trying to read my body language and the tone of my responses. I also got asked some of the same questions that are asked on the written application. If you get questions like that, make sure your verbal answers are consistent with what you've written on the application form.

Always be aware that as friendly as things might get, you're being evaluated on what you say and how you say it. Honestly, though, don't let that scare you. As long as you're honest, treat the process with the proper gravitas, and don't come off like either someone who's overly fearful of violent crime or as some kind of tacti-tard vigilante cop wanna-bee, you'll likely be fine, and will do as well as your town's process will allow anyone to do.

I must have done it right because I got an unrestricted LTC.

Most Green towns aren't even at that level, the licensing interview is mostly administrative and not any kind of a test, as long as the person doesn't appear outwardly ****ed up it's not much different from obtaining a drivers license or similar. Having your paperwork in order is usually the most important thing.

Last edited:
Wow - so glad my town isn't as obnoxious as some mentioned.

Small town - knew the LEO ahead of time. He typed in the answers from my written app.- did the finger print card. Asked about my wife and kids, told me the license will be unrestricted and that they were real backed up and would give me a call when it came in.

My process in Dedham was pretty smooth
dropped off app and cert (which was a mistake because no one told me I had to schedule and appointment) so I lost a month there.
Called the chiefs "assistant" scheduled an appointment.
Went in got fingerprinted, photo'd reviewed application, was told "what happens now" (IE: background check mental health check etc)
got a call a week later with a time to meet with the chief, when I got there he told me I had something on my background stating I had
appeared in front of a judge (I said no on my app)
turned out o be some petty traffic violation (no Inspection sticker from 1982 that I appeared in front of a Newton judge , paid a fine ...done)
No problem, we talked for a bit (small talk really, how long had I lived in Dedham , any kids etc. I know the#2 cop in Dedham through soccer (kids), ) then he reviewed my app.
At this point I was joining Massapoag and two of my references were cops (guys I went to college with)
so apparently he liked that. He then just asked if I was clear on laws about places to carry/not carry and how I was going to store any weapons in my home.
I answered him, and also informed him that my wife had just taken the class and she would be in shortly.
Wrapped up told me I'd get a call within 14 days, says thanks, looks me in the eye and says............... "be smart and be safe"
I thanked him and the following Friday I got the call , went down and picked it up...done
Much easier and less adversarial than expected.

Last edited:
My process in Dedham was pretty smooth
dropped off app and cert (which was a mistake because no one told me I had to schedule and appointment) so I lost a month there.
Called the chiefs "assistant" scheduled an appointment.
Went in got fingerprinted, photo'd reviewed application, was told "what happens now" (IE: background check mental health check etc)
got a call a week later with a time to meet with the chief, when I got there he told me I had something on my background stating I had
appeared in front of a judge (I said no on my app)
turned out o be some petty traffic violation (no Inspection sticker from 1982 that I appeared in front of a Newton judge , paid a fine ...done)
No problem, we talked for a bit (small talk really, how long had I lived in Dedham , any kids etc. I know the#2 cop in Dedham through soccer (kids), ) then he reviewed my app.
At this point I was joining Massapoag and two of my references were cops (guys I went to college with)
so apparently he liked that. He then just asked if I was clear on laws about places to carry/not carry and how I was going to store any weapons in my home.
I answered him, and also informed him that my wife had just taken the class and she would be in shortly.
Wrapped up told me I'd get a call within 14 days, says thanks, looks me in the eye and says............... "be smart and be safe"
I thanked him and the following Friday I got the call , went down and picked it up...done
Much easier and less adversarial than expected.

my niece is dropping her app in Dedham today. She did have to make an appointment to get to this point. I think she waited about 4 weeks. They'll process this and then she'll have to schedule another appt. to interview with the chief. I will pass your interview info. on to her. Thanks for posting your experience.

My town PD had me drop my application for an LTC off a few weeks in advance. Then I got a call from the licensing officer to schedule the interview portion. When I got the the station he took my picture and had me sign some papers (apparently they had my fingerprints on file from when I applied for my FID card two years ago). I was told everything was set and I'd be able to pick it up in 3 weeks or so

I pulled a CORI report and brought it with me to the interview, I had had a couple of (non-disqualifying) things in the early '90s, and I wanted everything to be on the table from the start. The sergeant who entered the information for the application appreciated that, and I think it maybe made for a smoother process. I got a no-restrictions lTC in Salem, which was considered a red city last I checked. Turnaround was 6 weeks.

In 2012 i dropped my app off and the ladies took my fingerprints and photo. They took my money and 16 weeks later i had my ltc a no restrictions. No interview.

I just got my LTC-A without restriction in Cambridge (Red) last week. The application/interview process took about an hour. It went like this:

-It started by having a nice staff member entering in the application info into the computer.

-Then getting a bad photo and good fingerprints (from a cute girl).

-Then the two licensing officers came in and the person who was entering in the information asked me the application questions in person. The licensing officers were there to confirm that I understood the questions and to answer any questions that I had. I learned that a maiden name is an "alias"

- Then I handed over a check and went to go get a sandwich.

I was pleasantly surprised to find everyone in the records dept to be friendly and helpful. I got the impression that they were focused on making sure that the application was filled out accurately and that there was no confusion about the background information. It was not a hostile environment.
I wore a button down shirt, jeans and sneakers. Nothing special.
The turn around was almost 7 weeks when I was mailed a notification to pick up the license. Exactly 8 weeks later today, I bought my first gun (a Sig P229).

Good Luck!

I just got my LTC-A without restriction in Cambridge (Red) last week. The application/interview process took about an hour. It went like this:

-It started by having a nice staff member entering in the application info into the computer.

-Then getting a bad photo and good fingerprints (from a cute girl).

-Then the two licensing officers came in and the person who was entering in the information asked me the application questions in person. The licensing officers were there to confirm that I understood the questions and to answer any questions that I had. I learned that a maiden name is an "alias"

- Then I handed over a check and went to go get a sandwich.

I was pleasantly surprised to find everyone in the records dept to be friendly and helpful. I got the impression that they were focused on making sure that the application was filled out accurately and that there was no confusion about the background information. It was not a hostile environment.
I wore a button down shirt, jeans and sneakers. Nothing special.
The turn around was almost 7 weeks when I was mailed a notification to pick up the license. Exactly 8 weeks later today, I bought my first gun (a Sig P229).

Good Luck!

Interesting. I thought only politically connected/rich people get unrestricted licenses (well you certainly could be [laugh] I don't know...). I have a friend/client that lives in Cambridge and is looking to get her LTC. She doesn't care if its restricted (lame I know) as she doesn't plan on carrying outside her house....

I just figured if there was an easy way to get her an unrestricted LTC then why not go for it.

Interesting. I thought only politically connected/rich people get unrestricted licenses (well you certainly could be [laugh] I don't know...). I have a friend/client that lives in Cambridge and is looking to get her LTC. She doesn't care if its restricted (lame I know) as she doesn't plan on carrying outside her house....

I just figured if there was an easy way to get her an unrestricted LTC then why not go for it.

If she asks for and makes a case for an unrestricted LTC, what's the worst that can happen?

Answer: She gets a restricted LTC.

If she asks for a restricted LTC, she's guaranteed to get one!!

Most Green towns aren't even at that level, the licensing interview is mostly administrative and not any kind of a test, as long as the person doesn't appear outwardly ****ed up it's not much different from obtaining a drivers license or similar. Having your paperwork in order is usually the most important thing.

Just did my renewal and me and the LO spent more time talking about our hair getting gray. I did get to sign that new lovely affidavit however.

Back
Top Bottom