[MA] Applying for a LTC, But Not Sure What an Interview Consists Of

Interesting. I thought only politically connected/rich people get unrestricted licenses (well you certainly could be [laugh] I don't know...). I have a friend/client that lives in Cambridge and is looking to get her LTC. She doesn't care if its restricted (lame I know) as she doesn't plan on carrying outside her house....

I just figured if there was an easy way to get her an unrestricted LTC then why not go for it.

If I was rich/connected I wouldn't have been shitting bricks during the 7 week wait!! [laugh]

I got two separate follow up calls for "clarification" on my application. The asked me which restriction I was applying for.

The only answer is "unrestricted" unless you want a restriction. During the second call asked if a restriction would make it more likely to get a permit, and the answer was no however the officer did say that the more concrete reasons/purposes I provided would make the application stronger. The officer did mention that some of these reasons were "if I were female and/ or had been the victim of a crime" as if gender or having been previously targeted by criminals is a legitimate reason for having 2nd amendment rights provided or infringed [rolleyes].
I was also asked again if I needed it for work, and if so I would need a letter from my employer. I said I was not applying for "work use" (because this is also a restriction) and that I was self employed and a business owner.
The officer suggested that I submit my incorporation documents as a supplement to my app and I did.

I think the main thing is to present a picture that is a responsible, productive, well-adjusted person that they don't have to worry about.

But they are clearly looking for ways to place restrictions because they have pressure to place restrictions. My feeling is that most people either cave or put things in their application that are justifications for restrictions.
I need it for work= working restriction
I like to shoot at the range= employment restriction
I want to compete= sporting restriction
I hunt = hunting restriction

The only purpose should be all lawful purposes.

I made clear my purpose extensively in my application letter which began:
"I am applying for a Class A License to Carry permit for all lawful purposes. I am applying to for this permit to ensure the security and protection of myself, my family and my personal property should the need arise. I believe that responsible gun ownership is necessary to prevent injury to my person and property in any or all situations, especially those that are unpredictable or extraordinary."

In the rest of my letter I spoke about my personal/professional history, my interest in guns, my experience/training, and my respect for life, law, and liberty.

I am really happy it all worked out for me, and I hope it works out for your friend/client. However the fact that one can apply, satisfy 100% of the requirements, pay the fees, take the classes and STILL be denied or restricted based on the whim of a licensing officer is deeply wrong and problematic.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom