MA AG backs DA on gun law challenge new info in OP.

The decision noted that Massachusetts law mandating lock boxes or trigger locks that render the gun inoperable to use for self-defense would frustrate the owner's ability to immediately access an operable weapon. But Leone argues, Massachusetts law does not ban the possession of functional firearms, only improper storage

I guess I don't consider a firearm in a safe or with a trigger lock functional. In the "OMG SOMEBODY IS BREAKING INTO MY HOUSE" sense of the word.

My prediction is that the MA supreme judicial court will rule that the MA storage law is consistent with the SCOTUS decision in Heller. The MA storage law is significantly different from the DC law.

My prediction is that the MA supreme judicial court will rule that the MA storage law is consistent with the SCOTUS decision in Heller. The MA storage law is significantly different from the DC law.

Agreed. The SJC will rule that the storage laws are "reasonable restrictions" instead of the outright ban that existed in DC.

Has anyone ever set up the scenario in court with an airsoft gun or something. have it in a safe, have a guy bust thru a mock door and see how long the AG lasts trying to get that gun out of the safe. it'd be a great proof of concept for showing how functional that weapon would be.

Agreed. The SJC will rule that the storage laws are "reasonable restrictions" instead of the outright ban that existed in DC.

Most likely the SJC will overturn the lower courts decision... but not because of the differences or "reasonable restrictions" in D.C/MA "safe storage" laws, but because until the SCOTUS rules that the Heller decision applies to the states,
MA has the right to enact any gun control law it pleases.

Has anyone ever set up the scenario in court with an airsoft gun or something. have it in a safe, have a guy bust thru a mock door and see how long the AG lasts trying to get that gun out of the safe. it'd be a great proof of concept for showing how functional that weapon would be.

You mean Ms. "we discourage self-help"? [rofl] [thinking]

As stated above, as long as you are awake and possess ANY class LTC with ANY restrictions, you can carry locked 'n loaded in your home. So the court will determine that Heller and MGL are not in conflict.

Is GOAL or NRA doing anything. This is where a civil defense fund would be useful.

I guess that you haven't been reading anything put out by GOAL, right?
[thinking]

As stated above, as long as you are awake and possess ANY class LTC with ANY restrictions, you can carry locked 'n loaded in your home. So the court will determine that Heller and MGL are not in conflict.
/QUOTE]

Not when you are sleeping in the 'dead of night' when a BG breaks in...

Not when you are sleeping in the 'dead of night' when a BG breaks in...

To date (and TTBOMK) this is purely conjecture on the part of everyone. Don't think there has been any case adjudicated in MA against someone leaving a loaded gun beside their bed as they slept.

A few times I've raised the serious question about this and it gets ignored completely like a "third rail".

Back in my early days working for the PD it was a well acknowledged fact that a few (I'm being generous) officers on Mids would pull in somewhere and doze off for a bit. My question (untouched) was that if the law says you are NOT in "direct control" if you doze off, what about officers who do this in uniform, while armed? Serious question to point out that I personally don't believe that one should be charged/prosecuted in either case (civilian sleeping with bedside gun or officer in my example).

Agreed. The essence of what DC denied Dick Heller was the ability to sit in front of his TV with a revolver on his belt. For all of its other shortcomings, the PRM does not deny us that right.

The best argument for a conflict beween the Massachusetts statutes and Heller involves the nightstand pistol (presuming, which has never been clear to me, that Massachusetts considers a nightstand pistol to be "stored").

Agreed. The essence of what DC denied Dick Heller was the ability to sit in front of his TV with a revolver on his belt. For all of its other shortcomings, the PRM does not deny us that right.

The best argument for a conflict beween the Massachusetts statutes and Heller involves the nightstand pistol (presuming, which has never been clear to me, that Massachusetts considers a nightstand pistol to be "stored").

Correct....... Heller is not really relevant to Ma. Apples to Oranges.

It will be interesting to see if they use this case to expand their ruling to cover other storage issues. Much like they did in the recent GPS case. Since the facts of this case are nothing like Heller (homeowner was not home).

I'm curious why the Commonwealth and the AG didn't address this in an earlier case, specifically Mass V. Bolduc. For crying out loud, Bolduc's kid pointed this officer's service weapon at a little girl and pulled the trigger. The judge there came to the same conclusion as to what is being discussed in this case, but the Commonwealth let that adverse decision stand. Why?

I guess I don't consider a firearm in a safe or with a trigger lock functional. In the "OMG SOMEBODY IS BREAKING INTO MY HOUSE" sense of the word.

No kidding...

Hey you dirty (murder, rapist, burglar) you better get the *#&% out of here! I've got a gun!!!! In my safe, disassembled, with a trigger lock.

So, I've wondered this before, but mostly in a theoretical sense. Why isn't my bedroom with the door locked a secure container? I just happen to be in the storage container with the gun. As long as I put it away in a safe, or put a trigger lock on it, or put it in a holster before I unlock the door, it seems like it should be a loophole.

I'm curious why the Commonwealth and the AG didn't address this in an earlier case, specifically Mass V. Bolduc. For crying out loud, Bolduc's kid pointed this officer's service weapon at a little girl and pulled the trigger. The judge there came to the same conclusion as to what is being discussed in this case, but the Commonwealth let that adverse decision stand. Why?

Perhaps some are more equal than others? MSP Trooper rather than a member of the unwashed masses.

Because DA O'Keefe did not want to fund an appeal on a case that he knew was being appealed by Leone.

So, I've wondered this before, but mostly in a theoretical sense. Why isn't my bedroom with the door locked a secure container? I just happen to be in the storage container with the gun. As long as I put it away in a safe, or put a trigger lock on it, or put it in a holster before I unlock the door, it seems like it should be a loophole.

Commonwealth v. Parzick, 64 Mass.App.Ct. 846 (2005)
Appeals Court of Massachusetts,
Berkshire.
Decided Oct. 26, 2005.
Background: Defendant was convicted by jury in the Superior Court Department, Berkshire County, Daniel A. Ford, J., of improper
storage of a firearm and possession of a firearm without a valid firearm identification (FID) card. Defendant appealed.
Holdings: The Appeals Court, Duffly, J., held that:
(1) defendant's bedroom was not a "securely locked container," for purposes of statute criminalizing improper storage of a firearm;
DUFFLY, J.
A jury found the defendant, Stephen Parzick, guilty of improper storage of a firearm in violation of G.L. c. 140, § 131L, and possession of
a firearm without a valid firearm identification (FID) card, in violation of G.L. c. 269, § 10(h ). In his appeal, the defendant contends that guns
stored in an unlocked bedroom closet within a locked bedroom are "secured in a locked container," as required by G.L. c. 140, § 131L. He also
claims that (1) the licensing authority’s failure to notify him of the denial of his license renewal application entitled him to assume that his
expired license remained valid; (2) G.L. c. 140, § 129B(12), provides an affirmative defense when an otherwise valid license has expired; and
(3) the trial judge erred in failing to give a requested instruction that the law requires an applicant for an FID card to be notified in writing of
the denial of his application. We affirm.
[1] Summary of facts and proceedings. At trial, the defendant filed motions for required findings of not guilty both at the close of the
Commonwealth's case and at the close of all of the evidence. In our review of the denial of his motions for required findings of not guilty, we
determine whether the evidence, viewed "together with permissible inferences from that evidence [and] in the light most favorable to the
Commonwealth," was sufficient to satisfy the jury that all of the essential elements of the crime existed beyond a reasonable doubt. >
Commonwealth v. Platt, 440 Mass. 396, 400, 798 N.E.2d 1005 (2003). "The relevant question is whether the evidence would permit a jury
to find guilt, not whether the evidence requires such a finding." Commonwealth v. Lydon, 413 Mass. 309, 312, 597 N.E.2d 36 (1992), quoting
from Commonwealth v. Brown, 401 Mass. 745, 747, 519 N.E.2d 1291 (1988).
The defendant was friends with Debra Mayernik and her husband, both of whom worked for him in exchange for lodging in his home.
Mayernik's son, seventeen year old Stephen Fish, also came to live in the house. The defendant did not permit Fish, who had his own
bedroom, to be alone in the house or to have access to any bedroom other than his own. The defendant was home on August 19, 2001, when
he discovered that several rifles he owned (as well as other items of value) were missing from his bedroom closet where he stored them,
leaning against the wall in the corner behind his clothes. The closet was not equipped with a lock. When he was not at home, the defendant
barricaded the closet door with boxes and other items and locked his bedroom door. That door was fitted with a knob lock that could be locked
from inside the room. Mayernik had an identical lock on her bedroom door, which she opened from the outside by inserting a bobby pin into
the hole in the knob.
The defendant told Fish's mother of the theft, and she immediately called the police. One of the responding officers accompanied the
defendant into his bedroom to determine how many guns were stolen. Upon observing where the guns were kept, the officer informed the
defendant that his firearms were improperly stored as they did not have trigger locks and were not stored in a "gun-securing cabinet" or in a
properly secured room. Fish returned home during the investigation and admitted to the theft of the guns.
Asked by the officers whether he had an FID card, the defendant said he did, but had not picked it up from the police station. Because his
FID card had expired, the defendant had applied for a new card on January 5, 2000, some nineteen months before the date he discovered that
his guns were stolen. There was testimony from the officer in charge of processing firearms license applications that the defendant's application
had been denied at some point, but written notice of the denial had not been sent to the defendant. There was no evidence of the date of
the denial, but as of August 19, 2001, the date of the offense, the defendant had not received notice of denial and had not inquired about the
status of his application.
Discussion. 1. Improper storage of a firearm. The defendant argues that his bedroom was a container within the meaning of > G.L. c. 140,
§ 131L, and that he was not in violation of the statute because the bedroom door was locked. The defendant's interpretation of the statute
ignores the requirement that a container must not only be "locked" but also "secure." > Section 131L, inserted by St.1998, c. 180, § 47,
provides in relevant part as follows:
"(a ) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm ... in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with
a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than
the owner ..." (emphasis added). > (FN1)

[2] [3] The phrase "secured in a locked container" is not defined by the statute. > (FN2) "When a statute does not define its words we give
them their usual and accepted meanings, as long as these meanings are consistent with the statutory purpose." Commonwealth v. Zone Book,
Inc., 372 Mass. 366, 369, 361 N.E.2d 1239 (1977). The Legislature's intent may be ascertained "from all [the statute's] words construed by
the ordinary and approved usage of the language, considered in connection with the cause of its enactment, the mischief or imperfection to be
remedied and the main object to be accomplished."
[4] Read in its entirety, the statutory scheme governing gun control evinces a legislative purpose "to prevent the temptation and the ability
to use firearms to inflict harm, be it negligently or intentionally, on another or on oneself." > Commonwealth v. Lee, 10 Mass.App.Ct. 518,
523, 409 N.E.2d 1311 (1980). As we have had occasion to observe, "[t]he goal of firearms control legislation in Massachusetts is to limit
access to deadly weapons by irresponsible persons" and the Legislature has adopted a wide range of methods "to accomplish this goal,
including ... the imposition of serious penalties for infractions of the firearms control laws." > Ruggiero v. Police Commr. of Boston, 18
Mass.App.Ct. 256, 258, 464 N.E.2d 104 (1984). We note as well that > G.L. c. 140, § 123, inserted by St.1998, c. 180, § 19, requires firearms
dealers to give written warning to gun purchasers and to "conspicuously post at each purchase counter ... in bold type not less than one inch
in height [the following]: 'IT IS UNLAWFUL TO STORE OR KEEP A FIREARM, RIFLE, SHOTGUN OR MACHINE GUN IN ANY
PLACE UNLESS THAT WEAPON IS EQUIPPED WITH A TAMPER-RESISTANT SAFETY DEVICE OR IS STORED OR KEPT IN A
SECURELY LOCKED CONTAINER ' " (emphasis added).
The use of the word "secured" in > G.L. c. 140, § 131L, comports with its use in > G.L. c. 140, § 123, and indicates that the container must
not merely be locked, but securely locked. See > Commonwealth v. Lee, 10 Mass.App.Ct. at 522, 409 N.E.2d 1311, quoting from > Libby v.
New York, N.H. & H.R.R., 273 Mass. 522, 525-526, 174 N.E. 171 (1930) (statute is to be interpreted so that "no clause, sentence or word
shall prove superfluous, void or insignificant if by any other construction it may be made useful and pertinent"). The Connecticut Supreme
Court, in > State v. Wilchinski, 242 Conn. 211, 700 A.2d 1 (1997), interpreting a similar statute, > (FN3) defined the word "secure" to mean
"to 'hold fast,' to 'tie down,' to 'put beyond hazard of losing,' or 'inviolable,' " as well as "to relieve from exposure to danger." > Id. at 224-225,
700 A.2d 1, quoting from Webster's Third New Intl. Dictionary 2053 (1963). That court concluded that the only logical definition of "secure"
in the context of the statute was "one that focuses both on preventing minors from gaining access to guns and on preventing them from being
able to misuse the weapon." > Id. at 225, 700 A.2d 1.
[5] We likewise conclude that > G.L. c. 140, § 131L, requires guns to be maintained in locked containers in a way that will deter all but the
most persistent from gaining access. Even a door locked with a key is not secure if the key is hanging next to the lock. Assuming the
defendant's bedroom to be a container, and further that it was locked at the time of the theft, > (FN4) the defendant was in violation of > G.L.
c. 140, § 131L, because the lock was easily defeated by anyone with access to a bobby pin and did not prevent ready access by anyone other
than the lawful owner. Because the evidence supports a finding that the room was not a securely locked container, denial of the defendant's
motions for a required finding of not guilty was proper.
Judgments affirmed.
(FN1.) None of the defendant's guns was so equipped.
(FN2.) Although our courts have not interpreted the phrase "secured in a locked container," we have said that the "usual and natural
meaning" of "a container is 'a receptacle (as a box or jar) or a formed or flexible covering for the packing or shipment of articles, goods
or commodities' ... ; and a receptacle is 'one that receives and contains something.' " > Commonwealth v. Lee, 10 Mass.App.Ct. 518,
523 n. 3, 409 N.E.2d 1311 (1980), quoting from Webster's Third New Intl. Dictionary 491, 1894 (1971). We assume, without deciding,
that a bedroom may constitute a container for purposes of the statute.
(FN3.) > Connecticut Gen.Stat. § 29-37i (2003) provides in pertinent part as follows: "No person shall store or keep any loaded firearm
on any premises under his control if he knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to the firearm ... unless
such person (1) keeps the firearm in a securely locked box or other container or in a location which a reasonable person would believe
to be secure...."
(FN4.) We think the jury might have inferred from the evidence that the defendant, who testified that he locked the bedroom door when
he was not at home, was at home when Fish took the guns. The defendant also testified that he had informed his insurance company that
he did not see any sign of forced entry and that he assumed that Fish had simply walked into the bedroom to steal the guns. The
conviction might have been upheld on the ground that the room was not locked. Because it was not argued, we do not base our decision
on this view of the facts.

Because DA O'Keefe did not want to fund an appeal on a case that he knew was being appealed by Leone.

I found some interesting information that seems to intimate that the DA on the Cape may revisit this case if Leone is successful in his appeal. The full text can be found here:

http://www.dolanmedia.com/view.cfm?recID=466970

That day may come sooner rather than later thanks to Commonwealth v. Runyan, a 131L case out of Lowell District Court, in which Judge Geoffrey C. Packard, like Singer in Chelsea, granted a defense motion to dismiss on grounds that the Massachusetts statute passes constitutional muster.

Corey Welford, a spokesman for Middlesex County District Attorney Gerard T. Leone, confirmed that his office has filed a notice of appeal in Runyan but has not made any further decision on how to proceed with the case.

"I obviously have no problem with the Heller decision," says Cape and Islands DA O'Keefe. "But having said that, we will monitor the Middlesex case that addresses a similar issue, and if the SJC finds otherwise, then we'll reevaluate the matter here on the Cape."

When and if an appellate decision is made in Runyan, Christopher M. Markey of New Bedford predicts it likely will be decided in the defendant's favor.

"A Massachusetts statute can't restrict a U.S. citizen from what the U.S. Supreme Court says is a person's right to have a firearm in their home free of a locking device," he says. "The Massachusetts court can't take away a constitutional right the U.S. Supreme Court says you have."

What's the right answer?

But one state prosecutor familiar with Heller says the D.C. statute and 131L are distinguishable.

The prosecutor, who asks not to be identified, says that, unlike the provision analyzed in Heller, the Massachusetts law does not place any storage requirements on the owners of licensed firearms when they are home.

"But when the owner of the firearm or an authorized user of the firearm is not present in the house, then our statute says you have to lock it up and pocket the key," the prosecutor says. "That complies precisely with Heller's interpretation of the Second Amendment that the firearm be available for the purpose of immediate self-defense. If you're not home, and the gun is in your house, guess what it's not available for? Immediate self-defense."

The prosecutor, who asks not to be identified, says that, unlike the provision analyzed in Heller, the Massachusetts law does not place any storage requirements on the owners of licensed firearms when they are home.

Interesting. Is that a misquote on the part of the prosecutor? I thought the firearm had to be under your direct control or properly stored.

Commonwealth v. Parzick, 64 Mass.App.Ct. 846 (2005)

Am I interpreting this case correctly in that the issue was that the room was not a "secure container" because the "lock" was easily defeated, and if it had a lock that utilized a key, then it would likely meet the criteria of a "secure container"?

Back
Top Bottom