• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Megathread

Green Side Out, Brown Side Out, Run In Circles, Scream and Shout.

A saying made up by a Marine expressing the frustration of having to make up a pack with blanket roll (camouflaged, with one side predominately green, the other brown). Having followed instructions, he made up his pack with "green side out" only to have the word changed, resulting in having to do it all over again, "brown side out."

Do you know if it's good quality?
Edited post to read "Danish". I had Elke Sommers on the brain... 🤪

Yes, very good rep. Made for military use. Can't see the manufacture date. Most likely late 80's ~ early 90's.
Never handled or shot it though.

Rare...

She looked really good - way back when I was a kid.

Some women really flame out hard when they get older

elkesommer-76thacademyawards-1.jpg

Holy Crap ............ $1300 per 1K? That's some crazy prices. I'm glad I stocked up when the CMP had the Greek stuff many years back.
Sure is crazy. Last time I bought the PPU stuff from TSUSA, it was like 60 or 70 cpr shipped. And my reloads are like 40ish cpr lol.
Definitely an expensive beast to feed nowadays

Is $1 a round a good price in these crazy post-COVID, pre-Biden Recession days?

(Asking for a friend.)
Good for the buyer or seller?

Buyer? Yes, unless it is surplus Korean, Turkish, or anything corrosive. IMHO, despite the opinions that some Korean lots are OK- NFW would I touch any of it. Details matter.

Good for the buyer or seller?

Buyer? Yes, unless it is surplus Korean, Turkish, or anything corrosive. IMHO, despite the opinions that some Korean lots are OK- NFW would I touch any of it. Details matter.

Danish. IIRC.

Danish in a BROWN box.

Last edited:
Danish. IIRC.

Danish in a BROWN box.
Very good ammo. Keep in mind that it's a one-and-done deal, however. As far as I know, that stuff is Berdan primed which is very difficult to reload and Berdan primers are unobtanium. $1 per round is a good deal if you are not a reloader. So-so deal if you reload.

Had a Creedmoor Sports gift certificate so I just ordered one of these to see how it works:

Last edited:
Had a Creedmoor Sports gift certificate so I just ordered one of these to see how it works:

Why on gods good earth would tou need a mantis on a M1 and why would you mount it to the gas cylinder.
To each there own and man can creedmore really come up with stuff to separate people from their money.

Forget all that I was thinking Mantis Bipod.

Would be good for off hand practice if it can work with dryfire?

Why on gods good earth would tou need a mantis on a M1 and why would you mount it to the gas cylinder.
To each there own and man can creedmore really come up with stuff to separate people from their money.

The Mantis training system does work for dry practice.

Maybe someone's hoping to run their M1 in a 3-gun match with their 1911 and Ithaca 37? If nothing else, it sounds like a fun time

I’m a notorious flincher. I’ve used the Mantis X2 on my handguns to help with dry fire practice (the X2 is dry fire only, the X3 will work for both dry fire and live fire). It does a good job of telling you when you’ve done a proper trigger squeeze and when you’ve jerked the trigger. Otherwise, with dry fire all you can do is try and watch your muzzle, which is hard to do if you are trying to hold on a target. With the Mantis, you can see if your muzzle is moving off target as you pull the trigger. It helps with any dry fire.

ETA And the Mantis can detect much finer muzzle movements (at least on a pistol) than you can see by eye. It also will try and interpret the movement for you and give you hints on how to correct it.

Last edited:
I’m a notorious flincher. I’ve used the Mantis X2 on my handguns to help with dry fire practice (the X2 is dry fire only, the X3 will work for both dry fire and live fire). It does a good job of telling you when you’ve done a proper trigger squeeze and when you’ve jerked the trigger. Otherwise, with dry fire all you can do is try and watch your muzzle, which is hard to do if you are trying to hold on a target. With the Mantis, you can see if your muzzle is moving off target as you pull the trigger. It helps with any dry fire.

ETA And the Mantis can detect much finer muzzle movements (at least on a pistol) than you can see by eye. It also will try and interpret the movement for you and give you hints on how to correct it.
Cathouse1, I have a flinch problem also, mainly because my ear muffs don't seal well. What helps me is using ear plugs with your muffs. Plus nothing wrong with extra hearing protection.

Cathouse1, I have a flinch problem also, mainly because my ear muffs don't seal well. What helps me is using ear plugs with your muffs. Plus nothing wrong with extra hearing protection.
I usually double up on hearing pro and also wear eye pro. My problem is I learned to flinch when I was young by using guns that were way beyond my experience level and not using ear pro (back in the 60’s and early 70’s very few people did). I’ve been working on “unlearning” that flinch ever since.

Back
Top Bottom