M1 Garand Megathread

... the Mantis can detect much finer muzzle movements (at least on a pistol) than you can see by eye. It also will try and interpret the movement for you and give you hints on how to correct it.
12b0c96e-343c-4776-a854-6dec64717e7a-jpeg.292992

Took the O-66 USMC rebuild to the range to test my usual CMP-legal "careful fitting" tune up job. 200 yards in gusty conditions. Other rifle is my match prepped M1 with the Krieger barrel.

1657154220307.png

My shooting could have been better but the O-66 was AOK for accuracy despite the wind.

1657154636773.png

LOL damn my phone posts huge images. Came back and resized from the desktop. Also I think it's time to retire that Shoot-n-See target.

Last edited:
Just taking a minute to follow up and crow about this latest acquisition from CMP. Won the Old Colony match with it yesterday, score 270-9X. Guy pulling the target said I hit the spotter 6 times, which is as much or more than I recall happening with an M1. 95-4X in slow prone and 98-5X in rapid. I did swap in an early SA trigger group and put the IHC group from this rifle in my IHC, but otherwise all the parts are simply the ones shipped by CMP.

GaqRExp.jpg

Kinda screwed the pooch in offhand, so need to get back to practicing that. Actually the top 3 scores were all 270 points, with X-count deciding how we placed. Silver was 270-5X and bronze 270-4X. Overall very good shooting from the group, with many scores close to 270.

The CMP Expert grades for sale right now with new Criterion barrels and new wood are capable of winning any match with only some minor fitting if even that.

Last edited:
Just taking a minute to follow up and crow about this latest acquisition from CMP. Won the Old Colony match with it yesterday, score 270-9X. Guy pulling the target said I hit the spotter 6 times, which is as much or more than I recall happening with an M1. 95-4X in slow prone and 98-5X in rapid. I did swap in an early SA trigger group and put the IHC group from this rifle in my IHC, but otherwise all the parts are simply the ones shipped by CMP.

GaqRExp.jpg

Kinda screwed the pooch in offhand, so need to get back to practicing that. Actually the top 3 scores were all 270 points, with X-count deciding how we places. Silver was 270-5X and bronze 270-4X. Overall very good shooting from the group, with many scores close to 270.

The CMP Expert grades for sale right now with new Criterion barrels and new wood are capable of winning any match with only some minor fitting if even that.
Was Franco silver or bronze? How'd he feel about a rifle straight from CMP doing so well?

Was Franco silver or bronze? How'd he feel about a rifle straight from CMP doing so well?
He may have been outside fabulous prizes yesterday- his eyesight was giving him some trouble. He and Rich graciously only shot one stage each to keep it down to 3 relays. I think 18 M1 shooters?

Funny story about this rifle, I'll PM...

He may have been outside fabulous prizes yesterday- his eyesight was giving him some trouble. He and Rich graciously only shot one stage each to keep it down to 3 relays. I think 18 M1 shooters?

Funny story about this rifle, I'll PM...
That's a lot of shooters. Wow. Great to hear, though.

August is a very weak maybe, for me. Sept to Nov should be OK.

9X, though? I'll have to make time for some practice before then, so when I'm bringing up the rear I'm at least visible from where y'all are sitting. Maybe I'll get myself a better sling before then, too.

9X, though? I'll have to make time for some practice before then, so when I'm bringing up the rear I'm at least visible from where y'all are sitting. Maybe I'll get myself a better sling before then, too.
You definitely need a good sling, though a web sling can be great if rigged correctly. For leather slings I highly recommend Ron Brown.

To Franco's credit, some of this latest M1's accuracy is due to some checks and tweaks he taught me. I got lucky with a stock that did not interfere mechanically, so that was a good start. Though a later year stock for a rebuild, it hasn't been reworked since made so I would not have touched it and swapped stocks for shooting.

You definitely need a good sling, though a web sling can be great if rigged correctly. For leather slings I highly recommend Ron Brown.

To Franco's credit, some of this latest M1's accuracy is due to some checks and tweaks he taught me. I got lucky with a stock that did not interfere mechanically, so that was a good start. Though a later year stock for a rebuild, it hasn't been reworked since made so I would not have touched it and swapped stocks for shooting.
I like the web slings, and have several. Right now, my M1 is wearing a cheap leather sling off Amazon. I keep meaning to get something better.

When you say Ron Brown, do you mean this one:

[edit - typos]

Last edited:

That week 'maybe' looking stronger for getting to the next match? I missed this month but plan to be there 9/11. A bunch of us will be getting in our final tune up before Camp Ethan Allen in VT.

Last edited:
That weak 'maybe' looking stronger for getting to the next match? I missed this month but plan to be there 9/11. A bunch of us will be getting in our final tune up before Camp Ethan Allen in VT.
I bought a Turner biothane sling. I put September through November in my calendar. September should be a yes. I'll probably go practice this weekend, even.

I bought a Turner biothane sling. I put September through November in my calendar. September should be a yes. I'll probably go practice this weekend, even.
[thumbsup]
The biothane slings are rock solid. My only bitch with them is getting out of them is a bit of a chore. I have not been shooting high power much lately but when I do, I use the biothane sling with my heavy AR service rifle.

Do some dry fire practicing offhand, a little every evening or so. I'll stick on the wall one of the little black repair dots from a shoot-n-see target. Whatever distance you have available inside, the dot should look like similar width as your front sight when aiming at it. I bought one of those M1A pellet rifles which weighs about the same as a M1A or M1 and has a wood stock just like a fat M1A stock or M1 stock.

[thumbsup]
The biothane slings are rock solid. My only bitch with them is getting out of them is a bit of a chore. I have not been shooting high power much lately but when I do, I use the biothane sling with my heavy AR service rifle.

Do some dry fire practicing offhand, a little every evening or so. I'll stick on the wall one of the little black repair dots from a shoot-n-see target. Whatever distance you have available inside, the dot should look like similar width as your front sight when aiming at it. I bought one of those M1A pellet rifles which weighs about the same as a M1A or M1 and has a wood stock just like a fat M1A stock or M1 stock.
Will do.
No sling when standing, right?

Rules say a sling must be attached in standing.

Doesn't have to be the one you shoot in position with.

Like, I see some shooters attach a web sling "for show" in standing, then move to a leather sling for sitting and prone.
That seems like needless effort. I was just going to tighten it up.

Thanks for the quick answer!

ETA - I suppose it would have been clearer if I'd said "no sling support" though that wouldn't have earned me that bit of trivia. Are they using the web sling in standing because it's less bulky?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom