M1 Garand Megathread

"DAS" stamp = Defense Acceptance stamp. Denotes "Post-War" ^^^
DOD started in 1947 and changed to these stamps in late 1952/early 1953. (Department Of Defense replaced "Department Of War")

In both cases.

1630073582471.png 1630073602025.png

Last edited:
image #2 shows the missing loop behind the trigger guard, like mac1911's. it's nice and tight
The "loop" was for the installation of the Garand's "Winter Trigger" device.

LibertyTreeCollectors has these U.S.G.I. parts in stock for $15 +ship
M1 Garand Winter Trigger

1630089127459.png 1630089147224.png
1630089163164.png

This offering is for 1 of our vintage US Military M1 Garand Winter Triggers. Like the ones pictured, all are in good condition and are straight from the long term storage package. This mounts to any M1 that has the winter trigger guard with the installation hole present. Installs without tools to allow shooting with gloved hands.

Good accessory with several available.

Last edited:
Do you think the loop was specific to the winter trigger or they utilized the loop later for the winter trigger?
That's a good question. I've seen Gas Traps with them so they go way back. Not sure if they were used in the manufacturing process to hold the trigger assy when milling or exclusively designed for the winter trigger. I will research and get back...

They made an adapter for stamped trigger guards too.

Last edited:
That's a good question. I've seen Gas Traps with them so they go way back. Not sure if they were used in the manufacturing process to hold the trigger assy when milling or exclusively designed for the winter trigger. I will research and get back...
See MTC29’s post number 3 in the CMP Forum's Trigger Guard Differences Thread:

Yep that's it! Thanks Cat!

Courtesy of MTC29 post:

1630093201193.png 1630093217441.png

The guard with the hole, commonly called a milled guard because it was machined, was the primary type used during WWII. This was an expensive little part and took time and money to produce so the guard with no hole, commonly called stamped because of the way it was manufactured, was developed later in the war. The stamped guard cut cost and manufacturing time by more than 50% and was the only type in production at the close of WWII. The hole was to aid in disassembly and the very early variations had concentric rings milled around the hole for a better grip. If you look very closely at the inner surface of the hole in a milled guard you will see that it has a bevel which will allow you to use the neck of a .30-06 Ball cartridge to open the guard. Milled guards were never slated for automatic replacement and if in good shape they were used on many post war rebuilds. As SK said, the winter trigger was an after thought and not the primary purpose of the hole.

By the way, I wish that the guys copying my photos and then reposting them will credit me with the photo.

And by the way, The CMP recommends you never leave them on your rifle:

We personally believe that these devices are not at all safe to leave mounted on a weapon as they are completely exposed and can be accidentally tripped pretty easily.

Still it is an interesting item to have just to say you have one.

IIRC the winter trigger did not come about until after WWII more so Korean war time frame?
Yeah, that's what I'm coming up with too. I Imagine it might have come in handy at The Bulge.
Korea looks right though. Oddly, it's like it (the loop) was designed for the Winter trigger out of the gate.

Next up: "The Winter Safety"... [rofl]

1630097012911.png 1630097046890.png

Yeah, that's what I'm coming up with too. I Imagine it might have come in handy at The Bulge.
Korea looks right though. Oddly, it's like it (the loop) was designed for the Winter trigger out of the gate.

Next up: "The Winter Safety"... [rofl]

View attachment 516774View attachment 516775

Post WW2 attachment? I haven't seen the 'winter trigger' in any 10th Mtn photos.

Yeah looks like it was introduced during Korea. Maybe for the Frozen Chosin...

View attachment 516781

So far I can confirm the M1 shoots fine in minus 7 degree weather- no goofy trigger doo-dad necessary. Wind chill (if that even matters LOL) was minus 25, going by the NOAA chart. I'll test colder if it gets colder. Do you think they would let me conduct tests from the Mt. Washington summit in February?

Maybe that winter trigger is for after your fingers snap off?

So far I can confirm the M1 shoots fine in minus 7 degree weather- no goofy trigger doo-dad necessary. Wind chill (if that even matters LOL) was minus 25, going by the NOAA chart. I'll test colder if it gets colder. Do you think they would let me conduct tests from the Mt. Washington summit in February?

Maybe that winter trigger is for after your fingers snap off?
Lol. I'm thinking it would work great for a clip-dump. Might get banned by the ATF though... shhhh

It's possible to bump fire a M1 with a padded shooting jacket and a somewhat loose grip. Or so I've heard...
A few vids over on youTube. Pretty cool considering 30-06...

Gets to the <PING> real fast.

Brrrrrrt PING!

My understanding was that the winter trigger was introduced as a result of the winter fighting in North Korea. Using the low temp winter gloves of the time it was almost impossible to get your gloved finger into the M1 trigger guard without accidentally firing the rifle. With the winter trigger you can just use the tip of your thumb to take off the safety and then use the winter trigger to fire the gun, even with large bulky gloves on.

ETA I think North Korea was the first time we used the M1 in very cold (-25 degrees Fahrenheit) weather. In WWII we hardly ever fought in temps below 0, so it wasn’t as important to always have a heavy glove on, lighter leather gloves worked just fine. At minus 25, your finger could freeze onto the trigger in short order if it wasn’t protected by your glove and your glove was way more bulky than the old leather ones.

Last edited:
In Robert Leckie’s book on the Korean war's Chosin Reservoir battle, he describes how sometimes, even with the lightest grease, the M1’s of soldiers new to the battle would freeze up due to the intense cold. He goes on to say how, when they asked the old hands what to do about it, they were told to “piss on it” and were surprised at how well it worked when they followed that crude but sage advice.

I have also read that they began to run them dry without any lube at all and that improved functioning. Talk about being in a sucky situation.
God Bless our U.S. Marines, Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen.

Guns of the Chosin article in American Rifleman, extreme cold and grease - CMP Forums
Good thing JCG had in mind to design the M1 ro operate with out lube. I forget where I read it but SA stopped funding JCG no lube testing and sighted it as a “waste of ammo” ?
Lube and oil should be used

Does anyone here have a muzzle gauge for an M1?

My son did the field expedient test to the barrel on his rifle (using a loaded round) and he said that the bullet went all the way in to the case.

He wants to order a new barrel like right now but I'd rather do a little more testing before we jump into that solution.

Does anyone here have a muzzle gauge for an M1?

My son did the field expedient test to the barrel on his rifle (using a loaded round) and he said that the bullet went all the way in to the case.

He wants to order a new barrel like right now but I'd rather do a little more testing before we jump into that solution.
I do where are you located?
As for bullet test? Its only a rough gauge. It can also depending on what bullet style/ogive even "150gn M2 ball bullet" can differ in ogive enough to give you false readings. The gauges can be a little off also depending on manufacture. I have 2 one from cmp and one from brownells. I never bothered comparing the two.
. It can and most likely will shoot ok.
Depending on what you expect will dictate what direction you go in.
If you plan on trying to get Xs on the SR and use good ammo then proceed to the new barrel and new stock. Then go from there

Last edited:
I do where are you located?
As for bullet test? Its only a rough gauge. It can also depending on what bullet style/ogive even "150gn M2 ball bullet" can differ in ogive enough to give you false readings. The gauges can be a little off also depending on manufacture. I have 2 one from cmp and one from brownells. I never bothered comparing the two.
. It can and most likely will shoot ok.
Depending on what you expect will dictate what direction you go in.
If you plan on trying to get Xs on the SR and use good ammo then proceed to the new barrel and new stock. Then go from there

I am in Western Mass a little above Springfield.

This won't be a match rifle, but I think he is a little disappointed from our first outing. He was all over an IPSC target from 50 yards, offhand.

Hopefully we'll get out later today. This time we will fire from a rest.

Back
Top Bottom