M1 Garand Megathread

I’ve also found an original factory proof mark on the pistol grip…a “P” in a circle. So I’m guessing the stock is original and the rifle went thru some rework at Rock Island at some point? Serial number appears to make it built in April 1944.
I did some basic cleaning of the stock. Soft rag and simple green. God it was filthy. Looks better and feels better. I still have tape residue that I need to remove. Someone put tape around the rear of the stock and butt plate.
There is a large gouge in the top of the rear hand guard. It looks like a bored soldier tried to carve something in it. Kind of deep. That will need some filler. everything else is fairly minor. All in all, I think I got a good one.

I’ve also found an original factory proof mark on the pistol grip…a “P” in a circle. So I’m guessing the stock is original and the rifle went thru some rework at Rock Island at some point? Serial number appears to make it built in April 1944.
I did some basic cleaning of the stock. Soft rag and simple green. God it was filthy. Looks better and feels better. I still have tape residue that I need to remove. Someone put tape around the rear of the stock and butt plate.
There is a large gouge in the top of the rear hand guard. It looks like a bored soldier tried to carve something in it. Kind of deep. That will need some filler. everything else is fairly minor. All in all, I think I got a good one.
that stock could have been on any rifle any time between 1947 and 1958 when RIA was over hauling rifles.
looks good clean it up and shoot it.
If you want nice looking wood buy a new stock, other than that clean it up and shoot it.

Personally, I wouldn't want a new stock, as it takes away the authenticity and historical value. Yeah, they're pretty and all, but not for me.
I have both, I shot my latest CMP rifle today at a match and was doing well until I screwed up and did not see a round sitting proud in my clip and got it all jammed up during rapids
A new stock that fits well helps alot with accuracy.

I just got the call for my new credit card #, after having had the original # get jacked. The lovely lady then informed me that my order is now off to shipping, with a 1-2 week arrival time! YES!

Not aiming this at anyone specific, but for all the new Garand owners you really owe yourself to take advantage of attending a clinic and match at Old Colony in Pembroke, MA. You will learn the in's and out's of shooting the Garand including proper technique from prone and offhand positions. Also bring your (shooting condition) rifle- if there's a minor issue someone will see it and guide you how to correct it, if not correct it on the spot.

I know some of us are [horse] a little, but trust me it's worth the time and effort invested to do it.

Not aiming this at anyone specific, but for all the new Garand owners you really owe yourself to take advantage of attending a clinic and match at Old Colony in Pembroke, MA. You will learn the in's and out's of shooting the Garand including proper technique from prone and offhand positions. Also bring your (shooting condition) rifle- if there's a minor issue someone will see it and guide you how to correct it, if not correct it on the spot.

I know some of us are [horse] a little, but trust me it's worth the time and effort invested to do it.
And info here for OCSA M1 match/clinic

Received my service grade Springfield today. Packet sent around 4/1, email received 6/28, CC charged and shipped on 7/13, received today! Serial puts it around August 1944. Looking forward to a proper tear down to learn more about it.

Attachments

• 20210816_185157.jpg
    20210816_185157.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210817_071611.jpg
    20210817_071611.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210817_071452.jpg
    20210817_071452.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210817_071352.jpg
    20210817_071352.jpg
    931.7 KB · Views: 18
Received my service grade Springfield today. Packet sent around 4/1, email received 6/28, CC charged and shipped on 7/13, received today! Serial puts it around August 1944. Looking forward to a proper tear down to learn more about it.
Looks great. Is that a new CMP stock? They are very good and thankfully CMP only does walnut stocks now. I had a Field Grade deliver with a hackberry stock, which I may dye pink for my wife and also to drive the traditionalists nuts. Also I might just paint it snow camo style (white) like the WWII 10th Mountain M1's.

2 at the muzzle and 2+ at the throat should be a good shooter. Our resident guru at Old Colony says that many of the brand new USGI barrels would gauge a 1 right out of the factory, so a 2 is still very good. Maybe that was mentioned above already- CRS on my part. With a good barrel and a solid new stock, it should be a shooter.

Thanks for the info. I'm aiming (haha) to get there in Oct or Nov, if at all possible. I'm sure that I could benefit from it.

Looks great. Is that a new CMP stock? They are very good and thankfully CMP only does walnut stocks now. I had a Field Grade deliver with a hackberry stock, which I may dye pink for my wife and also to drive the traditionalists nuts. Also I might just paint it snow camo style (white) like the WWII 10th Mountain M1's.

2 at the muzzle and 2+ at the throat should be a good shooter. Our resident guru at Old Colony says that many of the brand new USGI barrels would gauge a 1 right out of the factory, so a 2 is still very good. Maybe that was mentioned above already- CRS on my part. With a good barrel and a solid new stock, it should be a shooter.
It is a new stock. Unfortunately there appears there appears to be a few small chips near the trigger guard, perhaps from assembly. But all in all I am happy. Cosmetics are great and all but if I plan to shoot it and use it, I'm sure it will get a few things and dents along the way.

My club (Cape Ann Sportsman’s Club in Gloucester) is having a clinic on Sunday. Open to non members
930FA83B-4E5C-4A4A-ADFE-75375BA74BB0.jpeg

Anyone receive an email lately? I think around 8/10 they were working on 4/5, wasn't sure if they made some progress or not...I'm end of April or very beginning of May so I'm sure I'm still a few weeks out from an email

Anyone receive an email lately? I think around 8/10 they were working on 4/5, wasn't sure if they made some progress or not...I'm end of April or very beginning of May so I'm sure I'm still a few weeks out from an email
Have 2 friends mid april orders just got DBUs for SA/HRA service grade
6-8 week more

I was the 4/5 order and last Tuesday I got notified I needed to send a new 2A form in even though I was told in early July I was good to go. I dropped a new form in the mail that day and emailed a copy at the same time. It’s been crickets ever since with no movement.

A very nice fedex guy delivered this to me this morning, rain be damned! It seems to be in great condition, although it has a certain aroma, kind of like what my 1918 Colt 1911 smells like. Perhaps it's a certain kind of grease. Whatever, I'm happy and grateful!

Attachments

• garand.jpg
    garand.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 31
  • g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 32
  • g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 32
  • g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 31
  • g4.jpg
    g4.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 30
A very nice fedex guy delivered this to me this morning, rain be damned! It seems to be in great condition, although it has a certain aroma, kind of like what my 1918 Colt 1911 smells like. Perhaps it's a certain kind of grease. Whatever, I'm happy and grateful!
Looks like a nice fresh barrel 1&2 !

That should be a great shooter. If not, a few minor stock tweaks should do it. Looks like a perfect Service Grade, definitely on the upper end of what CMP will ship.

Back
Top Bottom