M1 Garand Megathread

I reported last week that my special grade had arrived. Mostly SA and 2.8 mil S/N.
I’m not sure how much of a problem I have, but the stock seems loose. If I hold the pistol grip and the barrel/gas tube, I get some movement between the stock and metal work (Front to back). Same if I hold the stock and the trigger group. I get movement.
Does this sound like a sock issue?

I reported last week that my special grade had arrived. Mostly SA and 2.8 mil S/N.
I’m not sure how much of a problem I have, but the stock seems loose. If I hold the pistol grip and the barrel/gas tube, I get some movement between the stock and metal work (Front to back). Same if I hold the stock and the trigger group. I get movement.
Should be very little movement with a new wood stock placing action in the stock and no noticable movemet after you lock it down.

Is your trigger guard snapped all the way in?

Went to the range with it. I don’t know which “first time” was better….but shooting the Garand was pretty awesome! Only had reloads to test as I couldn’t get hands on factory ammo. Will need to adjust the sights some but functioned great. Need to choose my recipe so I can sight it in and really test it out.

Should be very little movement with a new wood stock placing action in the stock and no noticable movemet after you lock it down.
The stock is not new. Some age to it. Has RIA/EB stamped on it.
I have noticed that under the plate at the bottom of the magazine well, the wood appears to match the lip of the plate profile.
maybe a problem with old wood?
maybe a shim? I think I’ll try a small strip of plastic I have and see if it fixes it.

Went to the range with it. I don’t know which “first time” was better….but shooting the Garand was pretty awesome! Only had reloads to test as I couldn’t get hands on factory ammo. Will need to adjust the sights some but functioned great. Need to choose my recipe so I can sight it in and really test it out.
“Most” garands are not to picky.
I find using good bullets to make a big difference.
im also not loading “fullhouse” loads.

I have noticed that under the plate at the bottom of the magazine well, the wood appears to match the lip of the plate profile.
maybe a shim? I think I’ll try a small strip of plastic I have and see if it fixes it.
Shimming the trigger guard is a easy way to tighten up the action some , if its moving front to rear that can be a bit more of a problem

my camera skills are worse than my shooting skills

View: https://youtu.be/nQcKaF2iEeY

Last edited:
Seems that the wood is compressed quite a bit if that bottom plate has sunk down level with the wood. The receiver should not be moving around in the stock. A good tight fit makes the trigger guard difficult to close. A couple M1's I shoot in matches are easier to latch with a rubber mallet- that kind of force. Your idea to try shims is worth checking out.

Well.

I guess my membership package was received and approved. My CC was just charged for my ammo purchase. Wonder how long it will take to ship?
When did you submit your order? I ordered from the CMP E-store 200 rounds of Creedmoor 308 (Lapua components) on 3/17 and it shipped 7/23. I'm thinking it doesn't hit the credit card until they are ready to ship.

I think they are were catching up a bit. Reason I say 'were' is that F-head in Chief will now have sent another shockwave into the ammo and components supply chain with his handlers' latest edict on Russian ammo and firearms. CMP used to be a little more immune to that but eventually more folks caught on- water takes the least path of resistance and all that. CMP customers were able to order match ammo from CMP throughout the Oblabla upsets. Mostly I reload, but when I get low on match worthy brass I will buy ammo from CMP.

CMP has some pretty good ammo when it's available, and anyone buying it who doesn't reload should save the brass to swap or sell.

I sent my membership paperwork and ammo in on August 12th. I ordered two boxes of the Creedmore .30-06. I have a "fair" amount of surplus but wanted some new ammo to check our our rifles. If I remember correctly, the Creedmore ammo showed up on the website about 4-6 weeks ago.

I now need to order some small items, (op rod springs, etc.) to make sure that I have up-to-spec items in place.

I sent my membership paperwork and ammo in on August 12th. I ordered two boxes of the Creedmore .30-06. I have a "fair" amount of surplus but wanted some new ammo to check our our rifles. If I remember correctly, the Creedmore ammo showed up on the website about 4-6 weeks ago.

I now need to order some small items, (op rod springs, etc.) to make sure that I have up-to-spec items in place.
They had a ton of the Creedmoor 30-06 at Camp Perry. I was going to pick up a box or two, but Mrs. Mountain came along for the trip and was keeping a close eye on me. She said don't be stupid, stock up. So I did. LOL still recovering from the budget trauma of getting two through college via savings and cash.

They had a ton of the Creedmoor 30-06 at Camp Perry. I was going to pick up a box or two, but Mrs. Mountain came along for the trip and was keeping a close eye on me. She said don't be stupid, stock up. So I did. LOL still recovering from the budget trauma of getting two through college via savings and cash.
Im surprised they still have that 54r ?
I must have just missed the restock on 06 as I put a mail order in with the Dane.
Im tempted to order some more for the brass.

Im surprised they still have that 54r ?
I must have just missed the restock on 06 as I put a mail order in with the Dane.
Im tempted to order some more for the brass.
Creedmoor 30-06? It-sa pretty good-a ammo...

mm4QJV0.jpg

Took the HRA recently bought from a friend to the range today to sort it out for upcoming matches. First group from cold looked pretty good, ~2.3" group of 4 at 100 yards. Sun came out so I could see better but POI was different for 2nd group, ~.6". Only a group of 3 and will never be that tight for 5 or 10 shots, but I'll take it. Made a couple clicks adjustment and shot the 3rd group, also ~.6". Two flukes in a row? Off the bench of course and fyi folks the POI is high on purpose so that I'm close to center when slinged up and shooting 200 yards.

HRA is in the DuPage stock I won at Camp Ethan Allen. The receiver locks up VERY tightly. Thankfully the fit was pretty good, though I had to do a little of the usual match prep fitting to ensure no interference, proper tension & clearances etc.

What's a little counter-intuitive is that this barrel measures a 2 at the muzzle and a 1+ at the throat. Perhaps a few grunts ramming away with a steel cleaning rod? All (??? [laugh]) the experts say that muzzle wear higher than throat wear doesn't give good accuracy. Remains to be seen if it will stay consistently accurate but looks good now. I was able to get a 4 ME / 3 TE barrel to just barely hold the black with some tweaking to a really rough Philippine return Garand, so if CMP sends a barrel with numbers higher than you were wishing for, or with higher muzzle wear than throat wear- don't sweat it. Take it out and shoot it.

Creedmoor 30-06? It-sa pretty good-a ammo...

mm4QJV0.jpg

Took the HRA recently bought from a friend to the range today to sort it out for upcoming matches. First group from cold looked pretty good, ~2.3" group of 4 at 100 yards. Sun came out so I could see better but POI was different for 2nd group, ~.6". Only a group of 3 and will never be that tight for 5 or 10 shots, but I'll take it. Made a couple clicks adjustment and shot the 3rd group, also ~.6". Two flukes in a row? Off the bench of course and fyi folks the POI is high on purpose so that I'm close to center when slinged up and shooting 200 yards.

HRA is in the DuPage stock I won at Camp Ethan Allen. The receiver locks up VERY tightly. Thankfully the fit was pretty good, though I had to do a little of the usual match prep fitting to ensure no interference, proper tension & clearances etc.

What's a little counter-intuitive is that this barrel measures a 2 at the muzzle and a 1+ at the throat. Perhaps a few grunts ramming away with a steel cleaning rod? All (??? [laugh]) the experts say that muzzle wear higher than throat wear doesn't give good accuracy. Remains to be seen if it will stay consistently accurate but looks good now. I was able to get a 4 ME / 3 TE barrel to just barely hold the black with some tweaking to a really rough Philippine return Garand, so if CMP sends a barrel with numbers higher than you were wishing for, or with higher muzzle wear than throat wear- don't sweat it. Take it out and shoot it.
Eh, looks like it can shoot.
For SR 10 ring accuracy im going to say muzzle readings are minimal to the accuracy. As long as the crown is not damaged , I have 2 sets of gauges I will gauge up the dane. Tag said 2&3 IIRC

I shot my M114/22 today.
Need a taller front sight if I want to shoot inside 100 yards.

Attachments

• 72A3B9C3-F1F5-4DBE-B46D-F5DC758B1B3B.jpeg
    72A3B9C3-F1F5-4DBE-B46D-F5DC758B1B3B.jpeg
    377.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 4A1ACDB5-714A-4886-A6FD-BD2EE086FCAC.jpeg
    4A1ACDB5-714A-4886-A6FD-BD2EE086FCAC.jpeg
    512.5 KB · Views: 5
  • BF606966-0D3D-40FC-A1C9-7BC6EF71261E.jpeg
    BF606966-0D3D-40FC-A1C9-7BC6EF71261E.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 4
Just received notification that FedEx is making a delivery on Wednesday from Alabama. Funny thing is that it's two separate packages. Signature required.

image #1 is just the CMP logo, right?

image #2 shows the missing loop behind the trigger guard, like mac1911's. it's nice and tight

Attachments

• g6.jpg
    g6.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 12
  • g5.jpg
    g5.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 12
image #1 is just the CMP logo, right?

image #2 shows the missing loop behind the trigger guard, like mac1911's. it's nice and tight
I think yours is stamped, but I can't really determine from that angle. If it's a stamped trigger guard there is no 'loop' in the back, it just takes a bend outward. In below pic, top is a milled trigger guard, bottom is stamped.

milled.jpg

I think yours is stamped, but I can't really determine from that angle. If it's a stamped trigger guard there is no 'loop' in the back, it just takes a bend outward. In below pic, top is a milled trigger guard, bottom is stamped.

milled.jpg
Looks right. How do the stamped ones compare with the milled?

Looks right. How do the stamped ones compare with the milled?
Not much difference in function. The milled ones are stiffer and less forgiving to close if you have a tight new stock. I'm not a collector expert, I just like to shoot them, but IIRC any IHC or HRA Garand should have a stamped one and at a certain point in production the Springfield Armory switched to stamped. If yours is a later SA, it would be correct to be stamped.

I want to publicly thank you for such a wonderful karma. May you be blessed by someone surprising you in the same way some day.

I will be sure to send you some pictures of me enjoying this great gift.

;)
I had 2 rifles delivered one time. They even emailed a copy of my order which clearly showed 1 rifle, but I was charged for 2 …..o well not a bad extra charge

Back
Top Bottom