• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Megathread

Right, my order should have been received right around May 1st (+/- a few days), based on that we are at about 16 weeks right now, once I get the email I will definitely report back here
My Feb order took 16 weeks total , seems cmp has added 4 more weeks for each passing month since then.

Where are you located, I have a little HXP I could let go so you can at least do s function check
Ditto @tgs679 - What part of MA? Same for me if you are in the Wachusett Mtn area.

Sent my order in for the FG via USPS Express. Should be in Anniston sometime tomorrow. Remembered to add a 'sticky' this time. Requested USGI wood and low #'s barrel. Also thanked them for the interesting pick (WW2 SA) last time and that I shot it for a bronze at the Nationals. Doesn't matter if SA or HRA, will be fun to see which one.

If I get new wood, I'll set aside that stock and use the hackberry stock for some sort of uber-obnoxious color scheme. I was thinking hot pink dye but could go another direction. The armorers who check the rifles are big time Bama fans, so maybe yellow and purple LSU Tiger stripes? Nobody really wants the hackberry stocks, so having some fun with it will be excused.

Last edited:
Just arrived. 32xxxxxxx SA receiver, SA Barrel with IHC trigger groupView attachment 518693Now I just need to track down a bit of 30 06 to try this thing out.
Nice!
If you're willing to drive to Gloucester I might be able to get you a 30 cal can of HXP ammo (200 rounds) for $180. I hooked up rosco61 and ridleyman with some HXP earlier this year.

Where are you located, I have a little HXP I could let go so you can at least do s function check
I'm up on the north shore but if andrew1220 can get ahold of a can i'l be set. I really appreciate the offer though, thanks.
Nice!
If you're willing to drive to Gloucester I might be able to get you a 30 cal can of HXP ammo (200 rounds) for $180. I hooked up rosco61 and ridleyman with some HXP earlier this year.
That would be great if possible. I could definitely make it up there.

I'm up on the north shore but if andrew1220 can get ahold of a can i'l be set. I really appreciate the offer though, thanks.

That would be great if possible. I could definitely make it up there.
Get that ammo and head down to OCSA on the 12th

Get that ammo and head down to OCSA on the 12th
I definitely will if I can.
Ditto @tgs679 - What part of MA? Same for me if you are in the Wachusett Mtn area.

Sent my order in for the FG via USPS Express. Should be in Anniston sometime tomorrow. Remembered to add a 'sticky' this time. Requested USGI wood and low #'s barrel. Also thanked them for the interesting pick (WW2 SA) last time and that I shot it for a bronze at the Nationals. Doesn't matter if SA or HRA, will be fun to see which one.

If I get new wood, I'll set aside that stock and use the hackberry stock for some sort of uber-obnoxious color scheme. I was thinking hot pink dye but could go another direction. The armorers who check the rifles are big time Bama fans, so maybe yellow and purple LSU Tiger stripes? Nobody really wants the hackberry stocks, so having some fun with it will be excused.
I really appreciate the offer but I think I may be all set now. The generosity across the board here on NES is real nice to see.

I definitely will if I can.

I really appreciate the offer but I think I may be all set now. The generosity across the board here on NES is real nice to see.

Welcome! At its heart, this is a community that takes care of its own. As Mac says there is some shitposting and other extraneous BS to wade through on the forum, but there's a core group who actually shoot their guns more than their mouths LOL and help each other source ammo and reloading components and/or hang out and compete together.

Pack and Postal in Lancaster had Korean .30-06 on Weds. Perhaps they still do.
WARNING! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Korean 30-06 must be checked very carefully against an extensive list of lots known to go BOOM! No guarantee that it's safe if not from a known bad lot.

Seriously, I was in a match last winter and next to a guy who had that happen. Luckily it was a 1903 which are pretty stout and had the Hatcher hole.

Pack and Postal in Lancaster had Korean .30-06 on Weds. Perhaps they still do.
See anything else cool at Pack and Postal? I have not been in there for a while. Their hours / days open are kinda random.

So my IHC Service Grade order finally hit the E-Store today, showing ASAP as the ship date. I'm assuming ASAP relative to a snail's pace. Who knows- maybe they'll break into a cache of IHC's in some crate and will ship a bunch out. You never know. What's a big coincidence is that my Field Grade impulse order delivered around the same time today per USPS tracking. Doubtful they have anything to do with each other- I hear the orders get filed in order as they come in and are not opened for a while. So now it will definitely be interesting to see which one wins the race to my gun safe.

There's an interesting rumor being discussed on the CMP forum. As the story goes, 400 M1 Garands were discovered at the Cheyenne Mountain NORAD facility:

There is a unconfirmed report that a cache of some 400 M1 Garand rifles were discovered in the Arms Room of NORAD's Cheyenne Mountain during the recent reopening of the base as a crisis center. The rifles were reported to have been transferred to the CMP and were sold as Service Garade Garands. Can anyone else on the forum confirm this report? I for one am highly skeptical of this report as I would think a find like this would have been routinely reported and publicized.

They have a couple Ruger Vaqueros in .45LC, one of which I almost bought. They also have many Lugers, and a couple Mauser broomhandles. They also have about 400 other guns. The owner told me that they also are processing another 300 guns over the next several weeks. That place is awesome.

There's an interesting rumor being discussed on the CMP forum. As the story goes, 400 M1 Garands were discovered at the Cheyenne Mountain NORAD facility:

There is a unconfirmed report that a cache of some 400 M1 Garand rifles were discovered in the Arms Room of NORAD's Cheyenne Mountain during the recent reopening of the base as a crisis center. The rifles were reported to have been transferred to the CMP and were sold as Service Garade Garands. Can anyone else on the forum confirm this report? I for one am highly skeptical of this report as I would think a find like this would have been routinely reported and publicized.
If true, they were most likely stored in something they did not recognize as an arms storage container...
Like 40 of these:
1630765736522.png

If true, they were most likely stored in something they did not recognize as an arms storage container...
Like 40 of these:
View attachment 519265

Part of the rumor was that they were in exceptionally good condition, so if true- that could be the way they were stored. Thinking of the mission for such a site, makes sense that they would have been stored for long term.

If there is any reason to have 3 M1s it is to stack them!
like this:
Stacked M1s.jpeg
And if you don’t know how to use the stacking swivel, the indefatigable Ian McCollum of Forgotten Weapons has a short on stacking rods and stacking swivels where he shows the correct way to use them. It’s a short video but if you just want to see how to use the stacking swivel on your M1, jump to the 3 minute mark.

After a few days of cleaning and removing all of the copper I made it out to the range. I don’t have a ton of ammo and I was out with the kids so we only shot two clip each. This is the first target with the first clip from the M1 with the new wood. I shot three rounds at the banking to try to get an idea where I was at.

C27A9F92-8594-4677-AB62-81FFE9758630.jpeg
I was estimating the center of the target but for me from the 100 with irons that a great target. I couldn’t be more happy and that target makes the wait so much more worth it. Now to load up so more rounds.

Deep and stupid!
After a few days of cleaning and removing all of the copper I made it out to the range. I don’t have a ton of ammo and I was out with the kids so we only shot two clip each. This is the first target with the first clip from the M1 with the new wood. I shot three rounds at the banking to try to get an idea where I was at.

View attachment 519970
I was estimating the center of the target but for me from the 100 with irons that a great target. I couldn’t be more happy and that target makes the wait so much more worth it. Now to load up so more rounds.
Nice! Clark we have a shooter!

Back
Top Bottom