M&P40c not popular?

Hi guy, i'm in the market for a compact .40. I called numerous shops to see if they have a S&W M&P40c in stock and the three shops that i called said they don't have any because its not a very popular firearm. Just like to know if this is true and the reasons why it is not a desirable firearm, also does anybody know of a shop that has them in stock.

Mike

Don't listen to the 40 hatters.. I just picked one up for the wife at Plymouth bay outfitters In Plymouth MA. And I also picked up a vp40!yup that's right not a vp9 but vp40!!

Last edited:
Having worked full time at both large and small gun shops, attending SHOT Show, and some dealer shows across the country, .40 is almost universally considered dead. That being said, you can get great deals on 40 cal handguns, especially used, and the ammo is eventually going to be CHEAPER than 9mm based on what Ive seen coming through the pipeline.

Hi guy, i'm in the market for a compact .40. I called numerous shops to see if they have a S&W M&P40c in stock and the three shops that i called said they don't have any because its not a very popular firearm. Just like to know if this is true and the reasons why it is not a desirable firearm, also does anybody know of a shop that has them in stock.

Mike

It's gods way of telling you that buying a .40 is usually (but not always) a colossally dumb idea. Honestly if you really want a .40 buy a used one, you'll get a hell of a deal on it, probably.

- - - Updated - - -

Having worked full time at both large and small gun shops, attending SHOT Show, and some dealer shows across the country, .40 is almost universally considered dead. That being said, you can get great deals on 40 cal handguns, especially used, and the ammo is eventually going to be CHEAPER than 9mm based on what Ive seen coming through the pipeline.

I don't think that will ever happen due to sticky price, plus there are still a bunch of gun shop commando types that push the .40, etc. Now granted, the price differential may become less, but there's no way in hell a retailer is going to sell it for less than 9mm.

-Mike

It's gods way of telling you that buying a .40 is usually (but not always) a colossally dumb idea. Honestly if you really want a .40 buy a used one, you'll get a hell of a deal on it, probably.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think that will ever happen due to sticky price, plus there are still a bunch of gun shop commando types that push the .40, etc. Now granted, the price differential may become less, but there's no way in hell a retailer is going to sell it for less than 9mm.

-Mike

Was it basically a "police are using this round "it must be good thing ?

Was it basically a "police are using this round "it must be good thing ?

That's one of the things, but the gun shop commando thing is this generalized meme of a bunch of slack jawed, drooling idiot types who con their non friends into getting a .40 first before they buy anything else. "da kopsch are using da .40 cauze da nyne isn't powerful enuf!!!" "you stuck wiht 10 round mags anyways so buy da foartay" 'you can convert it to nyne if you have to (using a shitty, stupid ****ing conversion barrel, which I ****ing hate, dumbest idea ever). Oh and my favorite .40 gun shop commando utterance.... "dah millutary is moving to .40 or .45 cause the nyne isn't powarful enough!!!!!! (so you should too)" The braying of the gun shop commando has changed very little in the past decade or so. [laugh]

-Mike

did you check four Seasons in Woburn? or the Norwood Armory?. I know they both had them recently.
I have a full size .40 and after having Greg Derr do the trigger on it , love it. I had 2 offers from people I let shoot it at
Braintree last weekend to buy it off of me on the spot. Don't listen to the haters , See if MFS has any in stock and go shoot one.
the 9C will be easier to shoot though..............just saying

Try to get one chambered in .4p I read that it is an effective caliber.

As others have said, four seasons typically has them in stock. And try to find a use one here with an APEX trigger already installed.

did you check Four Seasons in Woburn? or the Norwood Armory?. I know they both had them recently.
I have a full size .40 and after having Greg Derr do the trigger on it , love it. I had 2 offers from people I let shoot it at
Braintree last weekend to buy it off of me on the spot. Don't listen to the haters , See if MFS has any in stock and go shoot one.
the 9C will be easier to shoot though..............just saying

Yes I called those shops, they said that they dont have any compacts in stock and dont know when they are coming in. Thank you for all the suggestions guys/gals. I guess I'll keep on trying. I really hate to do this, but I might go the online route if none are available locally.

Last edited:
Yes I called those shops, they said that they dont have any compacts in stock and dont know when they are coming in. Thank you for all the suggestions guys/gals. I guess I'll keep on trying. I really hate to do this, but I might go the online route if none are available locally.

Fine, my first price was too high - I'll take $350.

First compact I bought was a Kahr k40. Sold it for funds to buy a compact 45 I wanted or I'd still have it, and carry it. I liked it, it shot well, never jammed, always able to get ammo for it. Anyway...

As to availability, Shawsheen in Billerica had 3 or 4 last week, mostly Sigs, can't remember models. I was looking for a 22 revolver and browsing semis so I didn't pay a whole lot of attention beyond "Oh, cool.." call Vinny, he's a good guy:)

I carry a 40 Shield, own 3 of them along with my M&P40c..and FS and Glock 27... will most likely get some H&K's in 40 this year as well.. plenty of ammo, they all shoot great and I'll take 10 rds of 40tay anytime for my carry round. I chuckle at the guys that try to sound so smart about how it's a dead round, when I see the guns in all kinds of flavors and brands available.... When ya can't find em, it's usually because people are still buying them... You might try Guns and Gun Parts in WSpfld... they may have new ones 413-732-9938

I traded a s&w 4013 single stack .40 at the sportsman's den in Quincy not too long ago. Its in fantastic condition. They might still have..just an option.

Last edited:
I carry a 40 Shield, own 3 of them along with my M&P40c..and FS and Glock 27... will most likely get some H&K's in 40 this year as well.. plenty of ammo, they all shoot great and I'll take 10 rds of 40tay anytime for my carry round. I chuckle at the guys that try to sound so smart about how it's a dead round, when I see the guns in all kinds of flavors and brands available.... When ya can't find em, it's usually because people are still buying them... You might try Guns and Gun Parts in WSpfld... they may have new ones 413-732-9938
Apparently you didn't get the memo. .40 is dead. Lol
Not to mention that. 40 will be cheaper than 9mm because there will be less of it. Geeesh.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If browncoat is serious, take him up on it as that is about as cheap as you will find.

Ifi didn't already have one I would.

I'm serious. It's a great gun, I just could use the money more than it right now.

Heck... if you was close by... I'd buy the damn gun... just because... but I really need one in 357sig... I have barrels for my 40's... but need an original 357sig M&P..

The M&P40c was my first carry gun bought when first came out, since then have bought at least 5 more to replace it but nothing has stood out. They all have the pluses and minuses
if you need a "new" firearm and having to live with a 10 round capacity probably no better firearm for fire power.
I would buy a used one and not with a mass trigger if I could help it, which will cost another 100 to fix if you don't

The M&P40c was my first carry gun bought when first came out, since then have bought at least 5 more to replace it but nothing has stood out. They all have the pluses and minuses
if you need a "new" firearm and having to live with a 10 round capacity probably no better firearm for fire power.
I would buy a used one and not with a mass trigger if I could help it, which will cost another 100 to fix if you don't

For the record PM... you only need to spend $41 for the sear to get a very good, to excellent trigger

Back
Top Bottom