• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M&P Shield , anyone get one yet?

Channel is too wide, replacement sight slides right through. It's funny because I took all kinds of measurements with a caliper, took pictures of the factory/replacement sights side-by-side, etc. thinking S&W/Ameriglo might want extra info. Got on the phone with S&W customer service and before I could finish the first sentence he interrupted me with "Yup, send it back." Ok! Looks like they'll handle the troubleshooting end of things. [laugh]

What's wrong with it..

Ameriglow is awesome to deal with, I woud contact them. When my work put Ameriglow sights on a bunch of our guns we had a bunch that did not fit correctly. A call to Ameriglow revealed they had been off on the size of the front sight ,not S&W. They replaced all within a few days with units that were correct. We have had zero issues since.

Last edited:
I'm almost ashamed to say it, but the ma trigger on mine has broken in very nicely. It's maybe a hair heavier than I'd like but it breaks cleanly and after the initial take up the trigger pull is very short. With use and dry firing it takes much less effort. I'm not even sure I'll have it worked on. Find the regular m&p's to be unshootable with the ma trigger.

I'm almost ashamed to say it, but the ma trigger on mine has broken in very nicely. It's maybe a hair heavier than I'd like but it breaks cleanly and after the initial take up the trigger pull is very short. With use and dry firing it takes much less effort. I'm not even sure I'll have it worked on. Find the regular m&p's to be unshootable with the ma trigger.

That's all that counts. If it works for you all the better. I wish I could say the same. I only shot 100 rounds with the MA trigger. Maybe I could have tried more but I just didn't like it so out it came.

I installed the Apex trigger the other day and its like night and day to the stock Ma trigger. Had a hard time taking off the rear sight had to heat it up to remove it.

I'll have to shoot one that has been worked on. I was really spot on with this gun last weekend at the range.

Ameriglo has been great to deal with, they offered to make a sight with a wider base. I'm sending the slide back with the new sights and Smith can have the first crack at it.

Ameriglow is awesome to deal with, I woud contact them. When my work put Ameriglow sights on a bunch of our guns we had a bunch that did not fit correctly. A call to Ameriglow revealed they had been off on the size of the front sight ,not S&W. They replaced all within a few days with units that were correct. We have had zero issues since.

I installed the Apex trigger the other day and its like night and day to the stock Ma trigger. Had a hard time taking off the rear sight had to heat it up to remove it.

Exactly my experience was the same. The rear sight removal was a brutal force [smile] of a hammer and a flattened chisel ... and it moved without much markings.

I will look into the Ameriglo sights next. Thanks for the info !! DSCN0943.jpg

Last edited:
How does the slide weight on this compare to that of the mk9? My fiance is really interested in one. Thanks.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

All stainless pm9. How about compared to an sr9c?

Mike

My SR9c has been flawless through 2000 rds. I love it and will order a Crossbreed this weekend. If your fiance doesn't mind a 23oz subcompact gun, I would definitely recommend it. If you're ever out this way you're welcome to give it a try.

My SR9c has been flawless through 2000 rds. I love it and will order a Crossbreed this weekend. If your fiance doesn't mind a 23oz subcompact gun, I would definitely recommend it. If you're ever out this way you're welcome to give it a try.

I did like my SR9c, but it was the gun I traded in for my Shield. still trying to see if it was the right move.

I was referring to slide wejght. My roomate has one and likes it. Heck, for that matter how does the slide compare to an m&p9c?

Mike

Mike,

Although I got to hold a Shield in a shop, I haven't shot one yet.

One major issue (especially for women due to upper arm strength issues) is racking the slides on these smaller guns.

I own the SR9c, M&P 9c (with trigger job by Greg Derr) and PM9 and both you and your fiancée are more than welcome to try all of them out at Mansfield F&G if you are ever out this way.

I look at the PM9 as a great pocket gun and the other two as great "on the belt" guns.

Mike,

Although I got to hold a Shield in a shop, I haven't shot one yet.

One major issue (especially for women due to upper arm strength issues) is racking the slides on these smaller guns.

I own the SR9c, M&P 9c (with trigger job by Greg Derr) and PM9 and both you and your fiancée are more than welcome to try all of them out at Mansfield F&G if you are ever out this way.

I look at the PM9 as a great pocket gun and the other two as great "on the belt" guns.

I had the PM9 and now the Shield. IMHO the Shield is a pleasure to shoot. I hated shooting the PM9 and sold it - hard to rack, too much flip etc. The Shield (mine has a trigger job by Lou/BEC) has very little felt recoil and very easy to operate. I am a member at HSC and Andover so if you want to try it out just PM me...

Also I carry it in a remora in my normal pant pocket. It seems to be fine of course YMMV...

My PM9 has the Hogue slip-on grip on it. Makes a world of difference in perceived comfort/recoil while shooting and also in accuracy. It's a great $10 solution!

We had the mk9 which is the all stainless pm9. It wasn't bad to shoot, it just had a heavy slide. I'd love to take you guys up on the offers I'm just usually out in western Mass. This gun will be for her so at the least I'll want to get to a shop so she can get a feel for the slide. I don't know what holster route were going with but probably a kydex owb (girls dont have room for IWBs I guess).

Mike

Having owned both I think the pm9 slide is more difficult to rack. The ruger lc9 slide is easier to operate if this is a key consideration.

I'm not going to argue that, but the slide is easier to rack. The Shield has noticeably less recoil, though, with the heavier spring and a couple more ounces of weight.

I took the opportunity of a having Veteran's Day off work to visit MFS and shoot the 9mm & .40 S&W Shields back to back.

My first impression probably doesn't need saying, but the MA Compliant Trigger SUCKS.
For one reason or another, MFS received a 9mm Shield with a Free State trigger and the 10+ pound trigger on the .40 S&W.
The .40 was the worst of both worlds - The combination of snappier .40S&W and the Super Heavy, Gritty 'Marsha' Trigger made it a bit of a handful. First hit was OK though I put several Down & to the Left by 2" @ about 7-8 yds (yes, shooting Right Handed), but a quick and accurate follow-up was pretty tough. I only shot about 30 rounds and had enough of the .40.

Trigger pull on the 9mm (Free State trigger) on the other hand was noticeably lighter and somewhat smoother/less gritty. High value first shot hits were easier and accurate follow-ups much faster and easier. I shot 40ish rounds and wasn't bothered by it at all.

I'd still like to shoot the .40 Shield 'Post Trigger Job' but unless it's lot's better than what I shot today, I don't think I'd enjoy shooting it much...
Since familiarity/practice with my EDC is a prerequisite, I guess i'm staying with what I have or waiting to find a 9mm Shield.

I took the opportunity of a having Veteran's Day off work to visit MFS and shoot the 9mm & .40 S&W Shields back to back.

My first impression probably doesn't need saying, but the MA Compliant Trigger SUCKS.
For one reason or another, MFS received a 9mm Shield with a Free State trigger and the 10+ pound trigger on the .40 S&W.
The .40 was the worst of both worlds - The combination of snappier .40S&W and the Super Heavy, Gritty 'Marsha' Trigger made it a bit of a handful. First hit was OK though I put several Down & to the Left by 2" @ about 7-8 yds (yes, shooting Right Handed), but a quick and accurate follow-up was pretty tough. I only shot about 30 rounds and had enough of the .40.

Trigger pull on the 9mm (Free State trigger) on the other hand was noticeably lighter and somewhat smoother/less gritty. High value first shot hits were easier and accurate follow-ups much faster and easier. I shot 40ish rounds and wasn't bothered by it at all.

I'd still like to shoot the .40 Shield 'Post Trigger Job' but unless it's lot's better than what I shot today, I don't think I'd enjoy shooting it much...
Since familiarity/practice with my EDC is a prerequisite, I guess i'm staying with what I have or waiting to find a 9mm Shield.

Your experience is what I felt with .40 cal. After I put APEX trigger it is a different story: Its as smooth as my SIG trigger with a very short reset. Really nice.

Thanks to some generous HSC members, I got the opportunity to shoot the Shield in both 9mm and .40. The 9mm had the Apex kit installed and the .40 was a free state trigger. I had a very similar experience as you did. The .40 was a little snappier, I have hands on the small side so the grip angle and shape fit really well for me. I really enjoyed shooting both, but for me the 9mm is the one I am waiting for.

Waiting for my Shield to come in is like having a kid. I already bought the Apex kit, Crossbreed super tuck and I am looking for a good kydex high ride holster and a nice leather holster. Of course a few spare mags. So I think by the time I actually get my Shield I'll have spent more on extras than I will spend on the gun.

I am a huge fan of the S&W M&P product line. Once I get the Shield I am looking for an M&P sport for my first AR and someday would really like to get an M&P Pro Series in 9mm for IDPA/USPSA. I currently have the 9mmfs and love it, but the Pro series is a nicer gun for competition IMHO.

So the list just keeps growing and growing.........for now I'll be happy just to get the Shield.

Also a huge M&P fan. I have an M&P full size 9mm, an M&P 15 ORC and a 9mm Shield. The trigger does stink on the shield. Maybe Santa will bring me an APEX trigger job!

Glad to hear you're back on the road.... I missed a Shield 40 last week at my LGS, saw it thurs, had a beautiful Colt Cobra on layaway so I figured I'd wait until I picked that up before the 40... stewed on it all weekend, went in Monday morn... the 40 was gone... oh well, I can wait for the next one in.. but at least the Colt was released from jail and is happily resting in my safe

S&w did send me another roll pin which I installed. So far so good, new one is not walking.

Glad to hear you're back on the road.... I missed a Shield 40 last week at my LGS, saw it thurs, had a beautiful Colt Cobra on layaway so I figured I'd wait until I picked that up before the 40... stewed on it all weekend, went in Monday morn... the 40 was gone... oh well, I can wait for the next one in.. but at least the Colt was released from jail and is happily resting in my safe

I may have the same problem with the pin moving out [frown] curious if its a result of me doing the assembly.
Congrats on the Colt.

You doing the assembly? Just have them send you a new pin, punch the old one out and punch in the new. So far its working for me. Hopefully it won't loosen up with more use.

You doing the assembly? Just have them send you a new pin, punch the old one out and punch in the new. So far its working for me. Hopefully it won't loosen up with more use.

Sounds like the ticket to me... on a side note... I stopped into my LGS this evening.. no 40 Shield in stock... but my other gun on my list was sitting there pretty as a picture... a new Governor... I fondled it for a minute or 2 before he threw me out cause it was time... he said he'd hang onto it till friday... looks like the Gov is next.. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom