• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M&P Shield , anyone get one yet?

Got a 9mm shield. First range outing had some jams, was a little frustrated. Opened the slide and let the recoil spring compress overnight. Ever since, eats anything.

The MA trigger isn't the worst I've seen. At least it has a short pull and it breaks ok, albeit too heavy.

overall, for the money it's a good concealed carry piece.

Very stout recoil spring but I guess it has to be to operate a small gun.

Yes, I think the spring is tight. Seems to have needed a little breaking in.

The roll pin near the slide release almost worked its way out last night at the range. I pushed it back in and applied a little loctite. I hope that works.

Very stout recoil spring but I guess it has to be to operate a small gun.

No it does not. I have a Sig 238 and it is a sweet gun to shoot. The same caliber P232 is a ... not nice :)
I tried Shield .40 and 9 mm. Both are very unpleasant to shoot. The trigger is just .. not a Sig :). I already ordered an Apex kit.

Hmm maybe its me but gzt from all the reviews ive read , and handling the 9mm version the shield is not that of a harsh recoiler. If you can handle any regular subcompact 9 it isnt that much different.

The .40 on the other hand is.

I put 125 rounds through my new to me Shield .40 without any issues, apex trigger is great recoil is the same as the G27... Trijicon HD sights are fantastic, much better than the standard Trijicon night sites and the stock M&P sights

The recoil on the 9 is light considering the size. It is not as light in weight as some (ie. kahr) and has the dual recoil spring. Both help reduce felt recoil.

Hey DBLOCKO2O,

I also have my name on the FS Shield List for 9mm, was written up as a cash price of $ 389.95. But what I'm hearing is they are not honoring the price they had posted on their web page, and are getting $ 429.95. Just a heads up!! I bought mine at Bob's Range in Salisbury Mass. Rather deal with Honest people with purchase, than get jerked around. Good Luck.

Just finished the stippling on my Shield, a lot better grip with it now!
View attachment 43225View attachment 43226

- - - Updated - - -

That's some clean work right there. Cleaner than some of the "pro" work I see displayed here on NES.

What size tip did you use for the soldering gun?

I just met up with Tony and saw his stippling job in person. WOW!! It's similar in feel to fine sandpaper, like Talon Grips, and he's an artist. He agreed to let me hire him to do my Shield. I'll post pics when I get it back. He really does an amazing job.

Apples to oranges comparing a single action .380 to a dao 9mm or .40

No, its not the case. I tried to make a bit different point.
I compared P232 and P238 , both .380 cal. One is very nice to shoot the other is not. I think a combination of the slide weight, travel and recoil spring decide if its a nice shooting gun or not. For a specific caliber.

The Shield is very "stiff" to recoil spring. It feels like two glocks recoiling together [grin]. However the most of my complain is based on the trigger pool. It was just painful to shoot, but this was already established here.

My Apex kit showed up today, so now its time to install it and try again. [smile]

No, its not the case. I tried to make a bit different point.
I compared P232 and P238 , both .380 cal. One is very nice to shoot the other is not. I think a combination of the slide weight, travel and recoil spring decide if its a nice shooting gun or not. For a specific caliber.

The Shield is very "stiff" to recoil spring. It feels like two glocks recoiling together [grin]. However the most of my complain is based on the trigger pool. It was just painful to shoot, but this was already established here.

My Apex kit showed up today, so now its time to install it and try again. [smile]

I ordered mine yesterday w/o me having the shield yet lol and from the youtube videos looks pretty much easy to install it.

I ordered mine yesterday w/o me having the shield yet lol and from the youtube videos looks pretty much easy to install it.

Just like I ordered the holster (Phantom Modular Holster ) from Raven Weeks ago. Just got a status change : Final Finishing [smile] . New trigger job and holster may be in a good sync [wink]

My roll pin is still walking after loctite application so I've got to either take it to a gunsmith or send it back to S&W.

i am finding it to be crazy accurate for its size. Even with the MA trigger I was shooting as good or better groups than my glock 19 today at the range. I can't really explain why, something about it suits my eye.

My roll pin is still walking after loctite application so I've got to either take it to a gunsmith or send it back to S&W.

i am finding it to be crazy accurate for its size. Even with the MA trigger I was shooting as good or better groups than my glock 19 today at the range. I can't really explain why, something about it suits my eye.

Send it to S&W, they have the best warranty service... I have never paid a dime for any issues I have ever had, new or used purchase. Now why I have used the service so often is a different discussion, but they have always made it perfect with some effort on both our parts.

I just got back from the range. The new Apex trigger on my .40 cal Shield is NICE. Sweet shooting, nothing like first experience with MA trigger. Its smooth and light. First shot was a bulls-eye. Fast shooting was groupped pretty well, something I could not do with an original trigger. Shield is the gun I want to carry with me all the time.

I just got back from the range. The new Apex trigger on my .40 cal Shield is NICE. Sweet shooting, nothing like first experience with MA trigger. Its smooth and light. First shot was a bulls-eye. Fast shooting was groupped pretty well, something I could not do with an original trigger. Shield is the gun I want to carry with me all the time.

That's good to hear, APEX has a nice combo for the M&P's.. I did a lot of dry firing with my Ma triggers in the beginning with my first M&P 40fs and shot very well, but the whole experience with the lighter trigger is a nice addition. I have various combinations of APEX parts in 5 of my 7 M&P's now.

That's good to hear, APEX has a nice combo for the M&P's.. I did a lot of dry firing with my Ma triggers in the beginning with my first M&P 40fs and shot very well, but the whole experience with the lighter trigger is a nice addition. I have various combinations of APEX parts in 5 of my 7 M&P's now.

I was excited with the Shield but after shooting with an original trigger, my excitement faded away very quickly. After reading here about APEX trigger I quickly purchased and installed it. Now I really like this S&W gun. I was so surprised with the first shot I can even describe it [smile]. It was a very very nice experience.
Next step will be a night sight installation [smile]

I'll call them tomorrow, no doubt they'll take care of it. I'll probably be without the gun for a while, though, which sucks.

Traded out of my LC9 for a better ccw, a bit chunkierband heavier but waaaayyyy better shooter, haven't hsd the trigger done yet, but even so the hard break compared to rugers crappy slop on the MA compliant LC9 is night and day, barely throw any shots at 20yards never mind 21 feet. Happy customer, made iut of me at undercover arms in hudson too. There's was priced about $25 too heavy but showed me good money for my trade.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom