M&P Pistol: why S&W won't improve trigger

Reptile

NES Member
I used a stock trigger on a M&P. It was painful just to shoot 10 rounds. Why won't S&W fix their triggers?

What about free states? Do you still need to do a trigger job?

If S&W has not fixed this by now, they should be ashamed of themselves.

What is taking so long?

Burwell has instructions on his site as a large PDF. The link is on his webpage.

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm

Pretty much been discussed to death here. Free-State guns come with a considerably better trigger. It's not a matter of S&W "fixing" the guns...they had to "break" them in the first place to be sold here. Many people upgrade to free-state parts or have a gunsmith take care of it.

I used a stock trigger on a M&P. It was painful just to shoot 10 rounds. Why won't S&W fix their triggers?

What about free states? Do you still need to do a trigger job?

If S&W has not fixed this by now, they should be ashamed of themselves.

What is taking so long?

Burwell has instructions on his site as a large PDF. The link is on his webpage.

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm

If you think that's bad try the Walther PPS.
every time I pick one up to dry fire I think there's an external safety engaged.

My M&P Pro trigger was nice but it's S&W's Pro Sear which makes a pretty big difference.

If you use Burwell's instructions you'll end up with a nice trigger. Some companies are already producing aftermarket sears for $30 which takes care of a bunch of the smithing for you.

Another huge thumbs up for Greg Derr. We brought my wife's M&P 9 to him right after her first time at the range with it. Very quick turnaround, and he had a couple of other M&Ps there he had worked on so I could feel some of the different pulls he's able to give.

I'm guessing you haven't heard of something called the AG's consumer protection handgun sales regulations?

I'm guessing you haven't heard of something called the AG's consumer protection handgun sales regulations?

Well yes, I have. It seems that there is more to "fixing" this gun than simply adjusting the trigger weight. On the instructional pdf there is much that goes into this.

LenS agrees.

http://www.derrprecision.com/SERVICES_SW_MP.html

Sweet. Greg Derr can do the job professionally for $75.

Maybe I will buy one of these M&P's. I really love Glocks though. At least there is a cheap alternative.

I bought a use M&P 9c that had a Derr trigger job. Very nice to shoot, at least I think so. I used to have a Glock 23, but I like the feel of the M&P much more.

Virtually any off the shelf hand gun can benefit from a little action clean-up. It's just more obvious with the MA version of the M&P. You just need to factor this cost into your total cost of ownership. My old and perfectly good SIG was a new gun after a visit to Bruce Gray.

The free state trigger is fine. I have no problems with mine. I'm going to have it worked on but only because it's my USPSA gun.

My M&P9c with a Derr trigger job is MUCH better than stock. However, my M&P9 (full size) with a LaroccaLaRocca is even better. Everyone who's fired them back to back agrees.

OK, Thank You. I was going to start a thread as to which gunsmith was better.

I was going to bring my MASS S&W M&P FS 40 to LaRocca to have him do his magic to it. I even stopped by his shop one day when I was in Worchester with the wife at a doctors apointment and I really liked the way he treated us. It is also easyer for me to go there, it's only a little over an hour were Derr is two too two 1/2 hours for me to get to him.

(singing) Too LaRocca I will go, too LaRocca I will go (OK that was bad [smile] ) But my mind is made up, I'm droping a few guns off to LaRocca's so he can work his magic for me.

OK, Thank You. I was going to start a thread as to which gunsmith was better.

Both Mike and Greg are great guys and do great work. Greg's price is cheaper than Mikes and his turn around is usually faster. Mike's price is higher but he is closer to me. Both of my guns are MUCH better than stock and perfectly acceptable to for carry. It's like the difference between very good and great. It's just noticeable when you shoot them back to back. Anyone who wants to try either one @ Westford Sportsmens club send me a PM and we can work something out.

Fiber optic, collect light and glow during the day. no help at night

416w2ptbO9L._SS500_.jpg

Night sights, they glow in the dark, but dont help during the day

550877.jpg

Last edited:
A night sight has a chemical compound that glows in the dark.But during daylight, to me did not show up as well as a standard white dot sight.
A fiber optic sight has a colored filament that attracts the sunlight and is a very good sight in the day.
to me with sights,as with everything, there are pros and cons to each.
I have a slightly used set of Tricon night sights 4 sale if interested [wink]

My Sig came with night sights that work great. However, I am having a really hard time finding night sights for my Walther P99c. I'm more interested in being able to sight at night for my CCW guns. Maybe a fiber optic might be nice if I do competition down the road.

I did a trigger job on my M&P 40C i did it from burrwells instructions I took it down as much as I could its down to about 4lbs. Now i realize S&W probably doesnt like this but i just figure why pay someone to do something I am perfectly capable of for free and learn something in the process

You can't knock S&W for coming out with a MA compliant gun even though the trigger is horrible.....

What you should be shitting on is the MA AG for coming out with stupid regs.....

Back
Top Bottom