• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC pin

"jjm1986, post: 6113136, member: 55934"] Call the records bureau in Chelsea they will give you your pin

Here's the contact info:
To find your PIN you should just call the (DCJIS) Firearms PIN and License Status Hotlineat (617) 660-4722.
M-F (8am-6pm). You may have to Hold awhile. Be ready to provide your:
  • Full legal name
  • Date of birth
  • Driver's license number

I guess I need to clarify. I was "ass-u-ming" (bad, bad) that the person was on the grace period (old one expired). At your birthday/expiration of old LTC, if you have your new one, the old one won't work. If you don't have it but the PD has the new one and has activated it, your old LTC/PIN won't work either. If the new one hasn't been activated yet, the old LTC/PIN will work.
Here's an edge case:

In the scenario where the issuing authority
hasn't logged a renewal application in to MIRCS
before the existing LTC's expiration date(*),
has the system actually been observed to reject the old card
immediately on/after its expiration date?

Yes, prompt expiration would be the law.
But one could program a system to either do a date check every time,
or to do garbage collection on expired records in a batch job that's run daily, nightly, weekly, ...

(*) It's immaterial to my question whether the licensee filed late,
or the IA blew off formal MIRCS data entry.

Someone contacted me and I spoke with Michaela about it. The PD sat on his renewal paperwork until AFTER his birthday. He was rejected when he tried to buy something. The way the computer program is setup depends on date of entry into MIRCS PLUS you need the MIRCS receipt.

Just got my renewed LTC, they give you a new pin. Really surprised they used my drivers license pic, which is 10 years old.

Just write it in sharpie on the back of the ltc

I did this. When I went to Wal-Mart to get ammo once, the clear at the ammo counter saw the number and tried to confiscate my LTC because I "broke the law" by writing my PIN number on the back of it.

Someone contacted me and I spoke with Michaela about it. The PD sat on his renewal paperwork until AFTER his birthday. He was rejected when he tried to buy something. The way the computer program is setup depends on date of entry into MIRCS PLUS you need the MIRCS receipt.

Sure (thanks). I'm just wondering how rapidly (instantly?) the expired LTC holder can experience a profound sense of rejection on/after his birthday.

When I went to Wal-Mart to get ammo once, the clear at the ammo counter saw the number and tried to confiscate my LTC because I "broke the law" by writing my PIN number on the back of it.
LOL.
Wonder if they have a collection of expired LTCs tacked up in the break room?

(For a fun time, check out the Wall of Shame behind the cash register
at Monaghan's Liquors on the south side of Rt. 37 in Toms River.
It's the biggest collection of fake ids we've ever seen).

Why not just write it on the back of your LTC with a sharpie and cover it with a piece of scotch tape. There's a freaking picture of you on the front. What purpose does the pin serve??

In theory its classic 2 factor authentication. Something you are (photo) and something you know (pin).

But the last I'd heard, nobody in MA had had plastic surgery to match a stolen LTC they had, so they could buy a gun.
Pins are required when selling a firearm. IMO writing the pin on the LTC is like writing ur social on your ID. If ur pin was on ur LTC and u had a friend that was not so much of a friend they could easily steal one of ur guns and transfer it to their name and there would legally be nothing you can do about it. (Of course under the right circumstances I.E. you step in the shower they look thru ur wallet snap a pic take ur gun transfer it to their name when they get home) example is far fetched but pin written on ur LTC def. makes it easier for some one to steal from u and get away with it.

Except that a PIN serves no legitimate purpose other than to make things more difficult for gun owners.

And yes, your example is ridiculously far fetched. Your friend still committed a crime and still possesses the gun illegally.
It would be a piece of cake (one request to ISP and mobile provider and 5 minutes of effort) for a computer forensics person to confirm that you did not do the transfer. So it serves no purpose. He transferred the gun and then stole it. That the transfer was fraudulent is a piece of cake to prove. Now in both cases we are left with a friend who stole a firearm.

With a photo on your license the PIN serves only to create friction in the free and legal buying and selling of firearms in the state.

Besides, every gun I own is either on my person or in a safe at all times.

Back
Top Bottom