LTC Expired thanks to delays, now what?

Read the Constitution. It gives the federal government clear jurisdiction over commerce between the states. You can argue whether SCOTUS has over expanded that, but you can't argue that it doesn't exist. Well you can, but you won't have much luck with it. ATF has jurisdiction when arms or ammunition are moved across state lines. That's why there are some moves by states in the west to write laws regarding arms and ammunition made within their borders. What success they'll have is anyone's guess.

It gives them jurisdiction to REGULATE it. I.e. make regular and prevent states from tariffing each other.

At least that was the intent. Subsequent generations altered the meaning of the word regulate to mean restrict. It meant no such thing in 1791.

I put in for my renewal March 25th or so in a green town. I'm still waiting. My father put his in the week before me and he got his two weeks ago. Anyone up, I would go 5 or 6 months before expiration. Don't delay, it will get you.

It gives them jurisdiction to REGULATE it. I.e. make regular and prevent states from tariffing each other.

At least that was the intent. Subsequent generations altered the meaning of the word regulate to mean restrict. It meant no such thing in 1791.
There is so much in that beloved document that meant one thing when it was written, and has been twisted and reinterpreted to fit an agenda to mean another. I get sick thinking about it. There are so few people who care which makes me even more sick about it.

I was advised by the CoP in my town to submit my renewal now (my expiration date is in the fall). The licensing officer actually drove to my house to return my paperwork, telling me that the MIRC system will not accept my application at this time because it's >30 days before the expiration date.

I am not expecting that my renewal will come within 120 days (30 days prior to expiration plus 90 day grace period) given current situation. Not pleased to say the least.

Damn, I'm not sure where you're at, but I put my renewal in 10 months early with no problems. I simply explained why I was so early to the LO and she ran it through with no issues.

I went to my PD approx. 90 days out , was told to return with 45 days til expiration. Made it to the PD with less than the 45 and received the renewed license in less than 30 days. YMMV.

Just called for a status update on mine. State said that they have received nothing from the local PD so there is no renewal "in process". I just called my local PD and they said they've been waiting weeks for the state police to send over fingerprints to complete the background check and then submit my file to the state. Apparently the state police are holding up my renewal now.

Just called for a status update on mine. State said that they have received nothing from the local PD so there is no renewal "in process". I just called my local PD and they said they've been waiting weeks for the state police to send over fingerprints to complete the background check and then submit my file to the state. Apparently the state police are holding up my renewal now.
not-me-you.jpg

Go to the thread I linked and you will see towns are all over the place with renewals. My renewal in Wareham a green town was around 10 weeks, last year.

took me 4 months to renew mine here in Wareham.
another poster from Wareham told me 6 months for his renewal

Not to threadjack, but an MA LTC doesn't invalidate if you move out of state?

"A license to carry or possess firearms shall be valid, unless revoked or suspended, for a period of not more than 6 years from the date of issue and shall expire on the anniversary of the licensee’s date of birth occurring not less than 5 years but not more than 6 years from the date of issue, except that if the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, the license shall remain valid for a period of 90 days beyond the stated expiration date on the license, unless the application for renewal is denied."

Now, I'm getting worried. I submitted my renewal application on 4/4 and still don't have it. My LTC expires in one week. I don't have any plans to buy anything soon, but I am in on the group buy for the Hi-Points. IF they come in before my new license I guess I'm screwed if I can't buy on an expired (but valid) license.

"A license to carry or possess firearms shall be valid, unless revoked or suspended, for a period of not more than 6 years from the date of issue and shall expire on the anniversary of the licensee’s date of birth occurring not less than 5 years but not more than 6 years from the date of issue, except that if the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, the license shall remain valid for a period of 90 days beyond the stated expiration date on the license, unless the application for renewal is denied."

Your MA resident LTC becomes invalid, once you are not a resident.

It does not become invalid by operation of law, but rather is cancelled administratively upon receipt of the required change of address notification.

I did not include the 6 weeks to get an appointment. Wow when?

i started the process in 11/2012 i was waaay into the grace period before i recieved it.
the lady that handed it to me said she had over 200 applicatons she was working on.....

Last edited:
i started the process in 11/2012 i was waaay into the grace period before i recieved it.
the lady that handed it to me said she had over 200 applicatons she was working on.....

She is way over worked, said she only worked part time and should be full time.

Functionally, owning/possessing only and be aware that no PD (other than your own PD) will have a clue that you are in the grace period. MIRCS does NOT report that info out on a query.

Len,

MIRCS does not report what? Are you saying MIRCS does not report an expiration?
I guess then, it is up to the discretion of the dealer then?

Len,

MIRCS does not report what? Are you saying MIRCS does not report an expiration?
I guess then, it is up to the discretion of the dealer then?

MIRCS will merely report that the LTC has expired. It has no info on "in process of renewal". MA Dealers will NOT be able to proceed using the electronic system and they are forbidden from using paper.

I dont know if the eFA10 can accomodate an expired, bit this is another reason to keep some paper ones on had.

Nope it does a validation verification before continuing. Expired or bad info and it's "all stop" right there. That's why they want us to use eFA-10 and not paper. If anyone looks before they scan, the paper ones should bounce too, I'm just not sure that they do look or verify when they scan however.

Nope it does a validation verification before continuing. Expired or bad info and it's "all stop" right there. That's why they want us to use eFA-10 and not paper. If anyone looks before they scan, the paper ones should bounce too, I'm just not sure that they do look or verify when they scan however.

But by then, with paper, the gun is in your hand (or out of your hand, if you are a seller) and you have fully complied with the law.

Right?

I love it when they build systems that don't actually allow for all the possibilities allowed by the law.

If I remember right Jason Guida is involved in a similar suit with some green card holders (legal resident aliens) who were refused a LTC because "the system" couldn't accommodate their situation.

After reading the entirety of this thread i have come to the conclusion (yet again) that this state has completely lost it's marbles. I hope I'm out of here long before my LTC needs to be renewed... Madness.

Back
Top Bottom