• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC change of address

Lone Wolf McQuade

NES Member
This afternoon I called the MA Firearms Records Bureau to change my residential/ mailing address. Stayed in the same town but moved to a different village. So a change is required.

Phone was answered on the first ring and the process took not even 2 minutes to complete. Pretty darn easy I must say. Will also mail change of address from to my CLEO.

This afternoon I called the MA Firearms Records Bureau to change my residential/ mailing address. Stayed in the same town but moved to a different village. So a change is required.

Phone was answered on the first ring and the process took not even 2 minutes to complete. Pretty darn easy I must say. Will also mail change of address from to my CLEO.

Certified Mail

Certified Mail

This.

If your call record gets “misplaced” your lack of documentation can be used against you at renewal. Per the stupid RULES, 3 certified letters are needed: old LE, new LE, and MA bureau. In your case 2 letters, since old and new LE are the same. I did this last year and may be over thinking it, but don’t let them screw you on a technicality.

In MA , gun owners have to notify the police of a change of address just like a convicted sex offender.

This is something I will never understand. It’s terrible to be the only other group who has to do this crap. It’s more bureaucracy that we don’t need.

I recently moved in-town and I sent the form to the records bureau via certified mail and dropped off the form at my local police dept in person.

This.

If your call record gets “misplaced” your lack of documentation can be used against you at renewal. Per the stupid RULES, 3 certified letters are needed: old LE, new LE, and MA bureau. In your case 2 letters, since old and new LE are the same. I did this last year and may be over thinking it, but don’t let them screw you on a technicality.
Very true, certified mail only to be MGL compliant. No other methods legally meet the law.
I recently moved in-town and I sent the form to the records bureau via certified mail and dropped off the form at my local police dept in person.
See above, dropoffs aren't compliant with MGL.

Very true, certified mail only to be MGL compliant. No other methods legally meet the law.

See above, dropoffs aren't compliant with MGL.

From the Firearms Bureau web site.
  1. In lieu of notifying the FRB/DCJIS via certified mail, you may call 617.660.4722 to report your change of address. The following information is required: name, date of birth, active firearms license number, and driver s license number for identity verification. Notifications to the police departments must still be made in writing via certified mail.

From the Firearms Bureau web site.
  1. In lieu of notifying the FRB/DCJIS via certified mail, you may call 617.660.4722 to report your change of address. The following information is required: name, date of birth, active firearms license number, and driver s license number for identity verification. Notifications to the police departments must still be made in writing via certified mail.
And you think that the info on their website supersedes MGL (which has not changed)? I know that Michaela is trying to be extra nice to folks (true, not sarcasm) but the law is the law. Let's say some years down the line she leaves that role and the person that takes over is a "law and order" person, they could screw those that took advantage of Michaela's largess. When I leave MA in a few months, I'll spend the extra few bucks and do it per MGL. YMMV

Let's say some years down the line she leaves that role and the person that takes over is a "law and order" person, they could screw those that took advantage of Michaela's largess.
Read up on the "entrapment by estoppel" defense.

I am aware of at least one case where the subject was charged with legal behavior - the charging officer simply asserted said behavior was a crime.

Be aware that there are recent changes to NICS, before we can continue with the check the following question has to be answered:

"Do the name, date of birth, and place of residence in Section A on the ATF Form 4473 exactly match the valid government-issued photo identification (to include supplemental) document(s) provided to you AND do questions 11b through 11i and 12b and 12c have a “No” response?"

There is, of course, no guidance as far as whether a sticker with the address change on the ID is valid.

Read up on the "entrapment by estoppel" defense.

I am aware of at least one case where the subject was charged with legal behavior - the charging officer simply asserted said behavior was a crime.

Who needs the cost and aggravation of a court case even if you win, vs. spending $7ish up-front?

Be aware that there are recent changes to NICS, before we can continue with the check the following question has to be answered:

"Do the name, date of birth, and place of residence in Section A on the ATF Form 4473 exactly match the valid government-issued photo identification (to include supplemental) document(s) provided to you AND do questions 11b through 11i and 12b and 12c have a “No” response?"

There is, of course, no guidance as far as whether a sticker with the address change on the ID is valid.
A sticker you create is all you'll get for a DL or LTC. I believe you can pay to get a new DL issued, but it's not free. LTC policy is no re-issuance for name changes or address changes - proper info shows up in MIRCS. That info I received direct from Michaela some time ago.

Back
Top Bottom