• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LPVO or 1x20 Red Dot

I just picked up brownells 1-6. I’ll be shooting it in a few days. But installed, and looking through it, I really like it so far.

Mine is a 16” very light weight build
72203597529__5A4A911A-FDD8-4C9D-8838-6D5AD68637A7.jpeg
72203615923__00FD3983-0105-4FCD-9110-356787F4B831.jpeg

mostly 100 yards but occasionally 200, if I could find a range at 300 but those are not the norm in New England. eyes are getting onld too.

ETA, had a pinty but it died and it wasn't bad I have an old 1-4 on my 16" and it is nice too.
Go LPVO.

But if shooting mostly at 100, look at 2 or 2.5 as min magnification. The 2 or 2.5 also work great for 30 yard shots.

I have been impressed with Athlon. I shot a Midas BTR side by side with a Razor last week and damn, it was so clear.

Op whatever you get you'll get the opposite in like 4 months and switch back lol

My advice shoot a bunch of both and different brands

If you have friends that have both and figure out what you like

Getting into optics is like getting into guns all over again lol

I personally did a quality dot and magnifier combo.
Because I can't afford an elcan

I used this video to help with my decision.

View: https://youtu.be/ndRt4RwIZv4?si=WD3SKTo6Owp9sLDo

In my head, you are either going to be at 1x or your max adjustment rarely in between.
And as pointed out in the video, dot and magnifier are faster at that.

Right now, I'm debating on trying a unity setup

Also, personally I enjoy the square lenses more so than round.

Last edited:
I have three setups, LPVO, RDS with magnifier and a 3x prism with 45 degree offset sights. I think the fastest and most intuitive is the one with the prism and offset sights. You just tilt the rifle over to use the offset sights (you don't have to move your hands and it's all gross motor movement), acquire target, tilt back to prism and you have the target just about in the center of the scope. The prism I have is he Swampfox Trihawk, I have been super impressed with it, glass is great and nice reticle. It is kinda heavy and takes CR123A but has shake-awake.

The RDS is a holosun AEMS CORE with primary army magnifier (AEMS is the bees knees for use with head-mount night vision) and the LPVO is a 1-4x vortex crossfire on my 22 bolt action.

You could also get a fixed 3x like the primary arms microprism. Cheap, and extremely light. And that magnification is good from 50-300.

If not then either a dot with magnifier (the magnifier is key for shooting beyond 100 yards. Really for me it’s more than 50) or an LPVO will do fine. It’s just going to be matter of preference. I guess if it is purely a range toy I’d do red dot and magnifier. For end of the world apocalypse I’d do LPVO for the greater magnification. But it’s a toss up.

I have three setups, LPVO, RDS with magnifier and a 3x prism with 45 degree offset sights. I think the fastest and most intuitive is the one with the prism and offset sights.

At what distances do you feel you’re wanting to transition to the offset sights instead of the 3X? I find it just faster and easier to use the 3X just about all the way in.

For NE you can’t beat an rds and a quality magnifier. Get a Holosun HS510C with a HM3X.
Depends on the use.

I am a huge fan of a min 2x or 2.5x.

I took shots at 50 yards with it and 180 yards in heavy wooded areas with nice shooting lanes.

The 2X / 2.5x is perfect. You get everything you can get with an LPVO and red dot and more.
You get a larger lense, usually at 44 or 50, compared to an LPVO.
You get more magnification.
You get a scope that is usable at 20 yards or +200 yards.
However, this comes at the expense of added weight. But in a well balanced rifle with a proper sling, this is not a concern.

If running around, competing, shooting a lot of targets fast, then I would say Red Dot. Red dot will be the best option in this scenario.

In the end, it depends what the OP wants to do with it. From his post, it doesn't seem like running around and engaging multiple targets is going to be his thing.

Depends on the use.

I took shots at 50 yards with it and 180 yards in heavy wooded areas with nice shooting lanes.

The 2X / 2.5x is perfect. You get everything you can get with an LPVO and red dot and more.
However, this comes at the expense of added weight. But in a well balanced rifle with a proper sling, this is not a concern.

If running around, competing, shooting a lot of targets fast, then I would say Red Dot. Red dot will be the best option in this scenario.

In the end, it depends what the OP wants to do with it. From his post, it doesn't seem like running around and engaging multiple targets is going to be his thing.
He said range toy so runnin/gunnin doesn’t seem to be best use. Good points.

I personally did a quality dot and magnifier combo.
Because I can't afford an elcan

I used this video to help with my decision.

View: https://youtu.be/ndRt4RwIZv4?si=WD3SKTo6Owp9sLDo

In my head, you are either going to be at 1x or your max adjustment rarely in between.
And as pointed out in the video, dot and magnifier are faster at that.

Right now, I'm debating on trying a unity setup

Also, personally I enjoy the square lenses more so than round.

I agree with @DarkJoker33. I have several LPVO and I do tend to use them either at 1x or their max magnification (even with the couple of 1x-10x). I just acquire the target at 1x and either use it as a red dot or crank it up to max if I need the magnification. I hardly ever stop in the middle. That being the case for me, I also have some dot/magnifier combos that work quite well. I found this one to be very cost effective and lets me (barely with my skills) shoot out to 300 yards.

sig-sauer-romeo5-xdr-gen-ii-and-juliet5-micro-combo-kit-sorj5x201

The combination of a 2 MOA dot with a (user selectable) 65 MOA circle along with the 5x magnifier covers a broad range of situations. For $300 for the combo it is a good deal, even though the ROMEO5XDR has been discontinued by Sig. Two minor issues is that, since the ROMEO5XDR uses a AAA battery that sits under the sight, it can only be mounted absolute cowitness and the JULIET5 has a screw mount rather than a quick detach, so it's not easy to take it off and use it as a separate mini spotting scope (which I sometimes do with my Eotech magnifiers).

Depends on the use.

Also depends upon the age/eyesight of the user.

I have a couple of ARs with red dots, decent, not great dots from Primary Arms. I'm good with them at 50 yards, and can hit a torso at 100. But, 180 yards with a dot? Not doing it.

BUT - I'm older than @Broc , (better looking, smarter, but still older), have astigmatisms and wear progressive bi-focals all the time.

So, I have a couple of ARs with LVPOs.

I have a Vortex Strikeforce 1-6 that I can do 6" groups at 100 yards, (again - the limitation is my eyesight), and I just picked up a Sig 1-10 on a Black Friday Sale at (hold your breath) - Palmetto State Armory.

Took both of them to the range today; going to post this from my laptop, and immediately edit it with pics from my iphone... IMG_4472.jpeg IMG_4471.jpeg IMG_4470.jpeg IMG_4467.jpeg IMG_4464.jpeg
All groups shot in sets of 5, all fairly quickly, I'd guess about 2.5 seconds per group. I'm not going for bullseye/precision, I'm going for alphas in minimal time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom