• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Losing faith 👎

I have been a life long General Motors customer but now I’m bailing. Last nite the transmission in my truck let go. Ordinarily I wouldn’t be to upset but this is the third truck in a row to have this happen to me. I paid 45,000 for this truck and it’s only a couple years old ! The last few trucks have all crapped out at approximately 100,000 miles. I’m beginning to think that the computer or brain in the truck is programmed to do this !! ( job security at dealership repair shops). I don’t go 4 wheeling or beat this truck AT ALL ! It is my life blood and it’s all hi way miles !! It’s led an easy life. Reading on line about it , people are saying the life expectancy is about a 100,000 miles ! WTF ! Aren’t we putting these trannys in the abrams tanks ?? I hate to give my money to dodge or ford but I’m out of the gm family now. I still owe 20,000 on this truck! God bless our armored mechanics !🇺🇸

I am sorry to hear about your bad luck with this GM truck.

It is covered under warranty?

Sadly, I gave up on American cars decades ago. I buy Toyota and Honda now. I recently got rid of a 22 year old Toyota with 250,000 and have a 97 Honda that’s still going strong and closing in on 300,000. I have two 2017s Hondas also

Last edited:
yeah, I'm frustrated also but with ford. I have a 7 yo superduty with 30k on the clock. just stopped running and no one can repair it. intermittent problem, will sit in the drive for a week and won't start and one day it will and run for a day or two and quit again. of course it never does it when its at a mechanic. dealer has no clue, several decent mechanics have no clue. I just got it back from another shop 90 miles from the house yesterday. we'll see if it starts this morning. he kept it for a few additional days and it was working. I'm in for 3500 bucks so far. so I feel your pain.

yeah, I'm frustrated also but with ford. I have a 7 yo superduty with 30k on the clock. just stopped running and no one can repair it. intermittent problem, will sit in the drive for a week and won't start and one day it will and run for a day or two and quit again. of course it never does it when its at a mechanic. dealer has no clue, several decent mechanics have no clue. I just got it back from another shop 90 miles from the house yesterday. we'll see if it starts this morning. he kept it for a few additional days and it was working. I'm in for 3500 bucks so far. so I feel your pain.
Does the engine turn over when it doesn't start?

All my fords (250s) have gone near 200,000 with very few problems. Just picked up a new one yesterday. A 17 year old took out my last one two weeks ago at 180,000. The reading service body had rot issues but the ford part was still running like a champ, hated to let her go.

My son had the same problem recently, was a short in a section of wiring harness

It seems Chevy/GM trucks just get worse with every new redesign. Life long Chevy owner too but when the lease is up on my 2019 I'm moving on to something else.

My son had the same problem recently, was a short in a section of wiring harness
thats what this last mechanic said and pursued. so let's hope this is it. the only thing to try next is the fuel pump which I had in the back of my mind for a while.

I have been a life long General Motors customer but now I’m bailing. Last nite the transmission in my truck let go. Ordinarily I wouldn’t be to upset but this is the third truck in a row to have this happen to me. I paid 45,000 for this truck and it’s only a couple years old ! The last few trucks have all crapped out at approximately 100,000 miles. I’m beginning to think that the computer or brain in the truck is programmed to do this !! ( job security at dealership repair shops). I don’t go 4 wheeling or beat this truck AT ALL ! It is my life blood and it’s all hi way miles !! It’s led an easy life. Reading on line about it , people are saying the life expectancy is about a 100,000 miles ! WTF ! Aren’t we putting these trannys in the abrams tanks ?? I hate to give my money to dodge or ford but I’m out of the gm family now. I still owe 20,000 on this truck! God bless our armored mechanics !🇺🇸
What is it?

Buy a Toyota tundra if you need a full size truck. A friend of mine has one with 312,000 no major repairs still runs fine.

I have a 2015 Tacoma woth 110k and its never had a problem just oil changes and a set of brakes. Runs great

Last edited:

View: https://youtu.be/HF9o3qHtKvQ

Those 4l60e are tough units, but built weak.

New ones look about the same, but with tighter tcm and valve body. Crazy kit.

I miss my 1996 c1500. But otherwise, large pass on modern GM metal.
Long term plans include a to vehicle creation and a built transmission.

Fluid is everything.

Gave up on domestic cars/trucks yrs. ago. The last straw was a ‘95 Blazer that had tranny problems GM knew about and did nothing. Sounds like they never improved after all these yrs.

I had every intention of buying a C8 corvette this year and then covid happened and that went out the door. Now the waiting list is 1.5 years long to get a new vette and the dealers are getting greedy with the vette buyers and charging $10-20k over sticker. There's no way on this green earth I am paying even $.01 above sticker. I know that next year I want to trade in my Camaro for a truck because I miss not having a truck and the top of my list is Ram not Chevy.

If the last few trucks have crapped out at 100k , why did you keep buying them?
Hes said he's been a gm owner for years. Probably owned gm in the 80s and 90s when you were lucky to get 70k out of them and he thinks 100k is good. 🤣

Read the post.....says his last few he got 100k out of and he's only bitchin now because he has a blown tranny at 45k.🤣

When the hell are ford/chevy/dodge owners going to wake-up and realize Other truck manufacturers easily can get 200k out of a truck without a single repair.

I had every intention of buying a C8 corvette this year and then covid happened and that went out the door. Now the waiting list is 1.5 years long to get a new vette and the dealers are getting greedy with the vette buyers and charging $10-20k over sticker. There's no way on this green earth I am paying even $.01 above sticker. I know that next year I want to trade in my Camaro for a truck because I miss not having a truck and the top of my list is Ram not Chevy.

The only thing keeping me away from getting a new Ram is the dial shifter, but maybe I could get used to that

GM is garbage

Yes they are. They let the god damn unions suck the life blood (cash) out of that corp for years and then insist on paying massive bonuses to execs for a company to continue to produce absolute shit products even after a bailout. They are truly a shit cesspool of a corp.

I dumped GM in the 90s.
I'm on my 8th and 9th Hondas.
For a light duty (no off road/towing), my Ridgeline is the best vehicle I've ever had.
Does what I need. Good mileage. Very little outside of fluids/tires. I'm pushing 200K in it, it's got no rot, so outside of a major accident, I'm taking this one the distance.
A cousin has been strictly Toyotas for a long time and he's on his 4th or 5th Tacoma I think.
I would buy an old school square body Ford/GM/Dodge Truck in the 70s-90s vintage, because they are pretty tough, cheap (and easy) to fix, no electronics. Only issue with those is they are over priced, I'd have to go south to get one, and once you expose them to salt in the winter they turn to dust.

Hes said he's been a gm owner for years. Probably owned gm in the 80s and 90s when you were lucky to get 70k out of them and he thinks 100k is good. 🤣
Read the post.....says his last few he got 100k out of and he's only bitchin now because he has a blown tranny at 45k.🤣
When the hell are ford/chevy/dodge owners going to wake-up and realize Other truck manufacturers easily can get 200k out of a truck without a single repair.
When I had GMs... especially with the small blocks, I used to change the water pump at around 70K, cuz if I didn't, they would start to leak at 75 anyway.
Those old FWD GM cars.. 40K steering rack guaranteed.
Don't even get me started on those electronic carbs from the 80s.
As stated above, I'm pushing 200K in my Ridgeline, the only "repair" I've had to do was a radiator, which sprung a leak after taking a hit from rocks off the back of a dump truck on 495.
The only PITA on the Honda V6s is the timing belts, which I do myself, but you kind of go into those knowing about that anyway.

Last edited:
I had a 2016 GMC Acadia as a company car...100,000 miles, 3yrs, transmission went. Our inhouse mechanic went to his transmission guy.."this happens all the time with Acadia's...100k and the tranny goes"

they got me a 2020 Acadia Denali

Had a 2007 Tacoma for 12 years with zero mechanical issues. Had to trade it in because of frame rot; Toyota compensated me greatly for a 2018 Tacoma. Traded 2018 (no issues) for a 2020 Tundra in May. I realized that the Tacoma was too small, since my kids were getting bigger. My wife also drives a Toyota, Sienna. We have had 3 Siennas and never had any issues.

No. The lemon cost him $45k , he never mentioned how many miles are on it.

roofgunner - how many miles are on it ?

The only thing keeping me away from getting a new Ram is the dial shifter, but maybe I could get used to that

I was crazy enough to buy a Chrysler car that was supposed to the daily run the miles up on it and throw it away car so I don't care if it clunks out after a few years. When I first bought the car my number #1 complaint was that the dial shifter is actually right next to the climate control knob and they are both the same size. I found myself turning up the heat when I was trying to put the car into drive. Now that I'm a work from home employee I can finally dump that car even though all things considered it's been pretty darn reliable for me.

The last few trucks have all crapped out at approximately 100,000 miles.
as that probably coincides with the tranny extended warranty period - it makes sense, from business perspective. there is little profit in making an immortal product. it is designed to fail at certain timeframe, to make you get a new one. but, yeah, some companies overdo it a little bit.
like others said - toyota trannies i think are a bit better.

my long term fun project car is a 997 porsche carrera - simple base model, but i modified the hell out of it, including having now most competition grade RS and cup car components - car was made in 2006, got 140K miles on it, a good 45K at least miles are from track and racing events where it ran at 7800 rpm for hours. this thing is built like a tank. i wish they would be building trucks like that, but, again, a triple boosted racing grade reliability is not profitable for a mass produced product.

and as much as i love corvettes - they are not nearly there, lifespan wise. they beat the hell out of my car on a straight - but, do not last as long, at all, and, most of it is by design.

Back
Top Bottom