• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Losing faith šŸ‘Ž

I gave up on GM cars in the early 2000's. I had a Chevy Trailblazer, top of the line. First snowstorm, the electronic 4 wheel drive didn't work. Brought it to the dealer, reset the module started working again. Next snowstorm did it again. A foot of snow with no 4 wheel drive. Take it to the dealer, resets the module, tweaks the codes says I'm all set. Won't happen again. Wrong. Next snowstorm, no 4 wheel drive. Bring it back to the dealer, replaces the computer module, at that time a $1000 part, luckily still under warranty. Didn't wait for the next snowstorm. Next really cold morning, about 15 degrees, tried to engage the 4 wheel drive. Nope. Traded it in.

Prior to that I had an 1988 Chevy s10 Blazer with I believe was a 4 cyl 2 liter engine, that was notorious for seizing/ crapping out. Mine did. It was so bad that Chevy was replacing the entire engine for free if it was still under warranty. Mine wasn't under warranty so they gave me a brand new $2500 engine for $1000. Sold it right after that.

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I got fooled twice. Never again.

Chevy trucks look really nice. More than once I had my eyes on a z71 short bed extended pickup. But I'm not going to make a $50000 mistake. I learned my lesson...

My Ford F250 is 13 years old and still mechanically fine, the body is just rotting away. Of course, for 13 years it's been parked outdoors. Ford never took bailout money, and the F250 is made in Kentucky,

F GM

There are six GM trucks at work 2015 to 2021 the only issue was the AFM which we all have the Range Disabler now.
All Iā€™ve had the updated transmission fluid instead of using dex six from GM they were told to use the mobile one, One 2014 has 137,001 2015 has 146,000 I have 70,000 (2015) no transmission issues and love the truck & ride.
My last Tahoe had 314,000 and was mint šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

I feel your pain...

yeah, I'm frustrated also but with ford. I have a 7 yo superduty with 30k on the clock. just stopped running and no one can repair it. intermittent problem, will sit in the drive for a week and won't start and one day it will and run for a day or two and quit again. of course it never does it when its at a mechanic. dealer has no clue, several decent mechanics have no clue. I just got it back from another shop 90 miles from the house yesterday. we'll see if it starts this morning. he kept it for a few additional days and it was working. I'm in for 3500 bucks so far. so I feel your pain.

I had a dodge that would do that, and the issue could not be identified for a long time.

The issue ended up being a very small (almost non-visible) crack in a housing related to the electronic system that keeps the truck running (moisture could get in).

Then I had another problem with the same truck. It would stall out and not turn over. It ended up being a computer board that would warp when the temps in the engine compartment went up to a certain level.

(^ That same truck ^ went thru 2 motors and 3 transmissions). Talk about a lemon ....

The only thing keeping me away from getting a new Ram is the dial shifter, but maybe I could get used to that

The dial shift definitely takes some getting used to. However, I have 112k on my Ram and have only bought gas, oil, and brake pads, for it. Definitely getting another when this one goes.

Dave

My Ford F250 is 13 years old and still mechanically fine, the body is just rotting away. Of course, for 13 years it's been parked outdoors. Ford never took bailout money, and the F250 is made in Kentucky,

F GM
How many miles on it? "Years" really don't mean that much if you don't drive it. I have an uncle that's has the mental illness of being a Chevy fan......"I get 15 years out if every Chevy truck I buy". He sells em with 70k on em cuz he never drives em. šŸ™„

The dial shift definitely takes some getting used to. However, I have 112k on my Ram and have only bought gas, oil, and brake pads, for it. Definitely getting another when this one goes.

Dave
I've had good luck with my last 2 Rams. The current one has the dial shifter, took a couple of weeks to get used to it. Funny, now if I drive something with a regular shifter it feels odd.

How many miles on it? "Years" really don't mean that much if you don't drive it. I have an uncle that's has the mental illness of being a Chevy fan......"I get 15 years out if every Chevy truck I buy". He sells em with 70k on em cuz he never drives em. šŸ™„

120000 mi

There are six GM trucks at work 2015 to 2021 the only issue was the AFM which we all have the Range Disabler now.
All Iā€™ve had the updated transmission fluid instead of using dex six from GM they were told to use the mobile one, One 2014 has 137,001 2015 has 146,000 I have 70,000 (2015) no transmission issues and love the truck & ride.
My last Tahoe had 314,000 and was mint šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
Here's the problem......your a "conditioned" Chevy fan. šŸ¤£

Your quoting 137k, 146k and 70k like thats high mileage and good reliability. Toyota truck owners are routinely getting 200k plus before any problems so 147k is EXPECTED......not considered a benchmark of quality.

314k on a Tahoe.....no repairs?

I routinely quote 110k on my Tacoma but I'm EXPECTING 200k before anything major breaks. I'm very comfortable that I'll get that out of it. If I was driving a Chevy I would certainly not be that comfortable of seeing 200k before a major issue. The sooner american truck owners start expecting 200k out of their vehicles the sooner gm and Ford will start building better shit. They're are car and truck manufacturers besides the big three that 200k is the norm not the exception.

Last edited:
I've posted this before, but 2011 Honda Pilot bought new in 2010 with 160k miles on it now. Other than fluid/brakes/tires, the only repair we had to make was a power steering pump at 150k. Second Honda Pilot we've owned and never had a problem. I'm with others, I keep looking at American SUV's like the Bronco, and Tahoe thinking maybe... then I remember the two Ford Exploders we owned back in the late 90's/early 2000's and the Jeep Grand Cherokee I drove a few years ago and remember all the times those vehicles were in the shop and see all the stories of people getting screwed on repairs and come back to my senses.

Of course, my daily driver is an Audi, but that's different [rofl]

All my fords (250s) have gone near 200,000 with very few problems. Just picked up a new one yesterday. A 17 year old took out my last one two weeks ago at 180,000. The reading service body had rot issues but the ford part was still running like a champ, hated to let her go.
ats what this last mechanic said and pursued. so let's hope this is it. the only thing to try next is the fuel pump which I had in the back of my mind for a while.

I had a 2011 F350 with the 6.2. At around 30k miles at the time the truck just died, fuel pump sensor issue. Had it fixed and was the only problem I ever had with the truck.

I had a 2011 F350 with the 6.2. At around 30k miles at the time the truck just died, fuel pump sensor issue. Had it fixed and was the only problem I ever had with the truck.
How many miles did you have on it when you got rid of it?

My son had the same problem recently, was a short in a section of wiring harness

We had an intermittent problem with an 03 E350, turned out to be a cracked computer board. New main computer, all better.

first thing that was replaced back in march.

Let's talk about Toyotas

2003 Tundra 4.7L V8, 4x4, TRD Off Road. Pretty much a loaded truck. Never off roaded but used to tow a 20' boat and other assorted small trailers.
72k front brake calipers. 80k gas tank filler tube because the cap wouldn't seal and it kept tossing codes. 95k steering rack and pinion, 112k catalytic convertors and 2 of 4 O2 sensors. Of course to top it off my frame rusted to pieces so at 138k the frame was junk. Rather than having the frame replaced I dealt with Toyota corporate and got them to "buy it back". Basically they gave high retail on trade for any new Toyota so I ended up with a 2014 Tundra.

2014 Tundra 5.7L V8, 4x4, TRD Off Road. Pretty much loaded. Once again no off road but used to tow a boat.
6k brakes lock up and leave me stuck on the side of the road. Dealer replaced the master cylinder/ABS unit. Get it back and 2 days later does the same thing. This time they replace one of the switches on the brake pedal.
38k Michelin AT2 tires shot. Literally chunks of rubber falling off two of the tires. Many phone calls and neither Toyota nor Michelin will stand behind the tires that supposedly have a 60k tread life. I end up replacing them on my dime.
45k brakes lock up again. Switch on the brake pedal is bad again. Replace the switch and the bracket. Tell me the brakes are shot from the calipers dragging from the bad switch. I end up paying for a front brake job, rotors and pads.
56k Bushings on driver's door hinges go bad and hinge is cracked. They claim I jammed the door and broke it. No body work or accidents ever. I show them no dented or bent metal and no paint cracks on the door or hinge. Finally convince them to replace the door hinges under warranty.
95k on it now and no further problems. Hopefully it will keep this way.

I have been a life long General Motors customer but now Iā€™m bailing. Last nite the transmission in my truck let go. Ordinarily I wouldnā€™t be to upset but this is the third truck in a row to have this happen to me. I paid 45,000 for this truck and itā€™s only a couple years old ! The last few trucks have all crapped out at approximately 100,000 miles. Iā€™m beginning to think that the computer or brain in the truck is programmed to do this !! ( job security at dealership repair shops). I donā€™t go 4 wheeling or beat this truck AT ALL ! It is my life blood and itā€™s all hi way miles !! Itā€™s led an easy life. Reading on line about it , people are saying the life expectancy is about a 100,000 miles ! WTF ! Arenā€™t we putting these trannys in the abrams tanks ?? I hate to give my money to dodge or ford but Iā€™m out of the gm family now. I still owe 20,000 on this truck! God bless our armored mechanics !šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø
Long story but in 2015 I stuck a fork in GM, Ford, and Dodge ! all junk. And for what it's worth steel brake lines should and need to be banned....yes, I said it BANNED !

Scotty Kilmer says GM is absolute shit for transmissions.
I have a 2008 Honda thatā€™s at 206k and still running strong (manual trans).
Donā€™t feel bad about buying foreign. A lot of companies have plants in the US (I know Toyota assembles in TN)

Over the last 25-30 years I have seen many automatic transmission failures. Some personally like my 700R4 failed multiple times, 3 IIRC, and other family members and friends. GM, Ford, Honda, Toyota. More GMā€™s but not brand specific.

FWIW:
When I look back on it there was always a common denominator. Nobody serviced them. Nobody changed the fluid and filter in accordance with the maintenance schedule. Mine get serviced and it seems to make a difference. Even my manual transmissions got fluid changes. Fluids wear out. Filters need to be changed. Pans need to be cleaned out.

I had my 2013 GMC Sierra serviced at 50k. Complete fluid change to Amsoil and a new filter. The pan was very clean.

Bob

I lost faith in GM when I had to bring my 2012 Silverado back 8 times in 8 months.....Oh and after my wife's brand new 2013 Traverse that we ordered blew the tranny at 3200 miles and 3 months old.

Just a fact. Ford and GM got together back in 2010 - 2011. Their R&D designed the 6 Spd trans together but built them separately. The problem GM had was the wave plate. They first put it in the Saturn Outlook and they had over 700 complaints. Two years later still having the same problem. You think they would've went to Ford and asked why they didn't have the wave plate problem. And yes it is the same 6 Spd trans they are still using.

Yeah but does it have enough plastic chrome and a huge grill? Consumer pick up trucks are a joke. Give it a few years and they will be extinct.

Why?? Consumers keep buying trucks. Are you saying that consumers are going to demand a higher-grade grill and are willing to pay the price or that consumers will stop buying trucks? And for what reason??? I see no change in vehicle-buying trends short of .gov FORCING everyone into an electric car a la Woody Allen's Sleeper.

Buy a Toyota tundra if you need a full size truck. A friend of mine has one with 312,000 no major repairs still runs fine.

I have a 2015 Tacoma woth 110k and its never had a problem just oil changes and a set of brakes. Runs great

That 312K Tundra probably isn't the same as today's. Probably a pre-08 with that mileage. THOSE things are tanks. Just check the frame for rot and let it run until it dies. Oh, and replace the timing belt AND THE WATER PUMP every 100K like clockwork. Don't forget!

I'm not a fan of today's Tundra. Or that stupid wide-flat American truck. I forget if it's the new F150 or some GM thing. All of them are just TOO big. The old school Tundra's were great. Same size, practically, of today's Tacoma. Hard to find a "mini" truck anymore. Ford Ranger is bigger than the old Ranger. GM has that Colorado or whatever. I think there is demand and no supply. Or maybe I'm all wet. LOL

But I hate those new full-size trucks and their stupid mega-grills. They just look silly.

I had really good luck with my 05 Silverado. I was always a GM guy. The trim levels on the GM trucks is far above Toyota imo. What soured me to GM was the Cruze I bought my daughter. It was riddled with oil leaks and had a foul oil smell in the cabin. They couldn't fix the leaks. It had 50,000 miles on it and basically mint condition so I traded it for my wifeā€™s new Mazda CX5. We gave to my daughter, and I traded my Silverado for a 16 Accord. My daughter has since bought a CX5, way cheaper than a RAV4 and a much better vehicle. If I get another truck it will be a Ridgeline. Some will say the Ridgeline isnā€™t really a truck because it has unibody construction. For what I need a truck for I donā€™t need one with a heavy duty frame. Honda and Mazda are level if not surpassing GM in the trim levels. Honda and Mazda rule.

Why?? Consumers keep buying trucks. Are you saying that consumers are going to demand a higher-grade grill and are willing to pay the price or that consumers will stop buying trucks? And for what reason??? I see no change in vehicle-buying trends short of .gov FORCING everyone into an electric car a la Woody Allen's Sleeper.
Full size plastic chromed noncommercial trucks are a boomer thing and the boomer's are buying their last vehicles. A 'few years' is too short a timeline let's call it ten years. I've owned a bunch of trucks, I don't hate them, but Joehomeowner can do the same thing with any car and a cheap utility trailer. The utility trailer probably does a better job and you don't have to worry about scratching the paint.

I had really good luck with my 05 Silverado. I was always a GM guy. The trim levels on the GM trucks is far above Toyota imo. What soured me to GM was the Cruze I bought my daughter. It was riddled with oil leaks and had a foul oil smell in the cabin. They couldn't fix the leaks. It had 50,000 miles on it and basically mint condition so I traded it for my wifeā€™s new Mazda CX5. We gave to my daughter, and I traded my Silverado for a 16 Accord. My daughter has since bought a CX5, way cheaper than a RAV4 and a much better vehicle. If I get another truck it will be a Ridgeline. Some will say the Ridgeline isnā€™t really a truck because it has unibody construction. For what I need a truck for I donā€™t need one with a heavy duty frame. Honda and Mazda are level if not surpassing GM in the trim levels. Honda and Mazda rule.
I have never considered "trim levels" in any cross shop of vehicles. I consider what it can do...... and how long it may last. I don't care about "information centers" and touch screens or any of that stuff.

I have never considered "trim levels" in any cross shop of vehicles. I consider what it can do...... and how long it may last. I don't care about "information centers" and touch screens or any of that stuff.
If Iā€™m spending half my time in a vehicle I want to at least get the feeling that I got what I paid for. Not necessarily touch screens and infotainment but quality over plastic.

Back
Top Bottom