Looking for opinion on new carry gun

If you are fairly competent in taking apart a polymer handgun frame you can just order a S&W Shield trigger return spring and sear spring to make it as delivered to all the free states.
I use the Apex sear (which you can buy all by itself) along with the above factory springs and you will end up with a decent trigger.
These parts will cost you about $55.00.
Midwest Gun Works has these parts.

The Apex AEK kit will require you to remove the rear sight which can be tough to remove if your not a gunsmith and have the tools.
But the installing the firing pin plunger and spring will smooth out the trigger even more.
These kits cost around $80.00.

Last edited:
If you are fairly competent in taking apart a polymer handgun frame you can just order a S&W Shield trigger return spring and sear spring to make it as delivered to all the free states.
I use the Apex sear (which you can buy all by itself) along with the above factory springs and you will end up with a decent trigger.
These parts will cost you about $55.00.
Midwest Gun Works has these parts.

The Apex AEK kit will require you to remove the rear sight which can be tough to remove if your not a gunsmith and have the tools.
But the installing the firing pin plunger and spring will smooth out the trigger even more.
These kits cost around $80.00.

I have familiarity with apex kits since I had one installed on a revolver. I'll probably go this route again.

American Firearms School in North Attleboro used to have Tuesday Nights set aside for ladies. Not sure if they still do.

They still have Tuesday ladies night but they’re not really a gun shop. You can rent the popular stuff and they will order stuff for you and be competitively priced.

I have familiarity with apex kits since I had one installed on a revolver. I'll probably go this route again.

As a heads up, the Shield kit required removing the rear sight to do replace a part in the slide, unlike the full size M&P kit. The rear sight on my 1.0 shield was a royal pain to take off. It took a lot of force and I ended up putting a little dent in the sight at one attempt.

Still, the apex kit is a must for Massachusetts triggers.

One downside of the Kahr PM9 is that it has a rather stiff recoil spring. My wife can’t operate the slide on mine. It is fine for me, but too stiff for folks with weaker hands.

Last edited:
As a heads up, the Shield kit required removing the rear sight to do replace a part in the slide, unlike the full size M&P kit. The rear sight on my 1.0 shield was a royal pain to take off. It took a lot of force and I ended up putting a little dent in the sight at one attempt.

Still, the apex kit is a must for Massachusetts triggers.

Is it better for the Apex to just buy the entire trigger kit? The Apex one is a flat faced trigger which I am assuming is much easier than the stock design in the 2.0? I was just looking at the pistol and it looks like the rear sight is held in place by a tiny set screw. My end goal is to make this a CCW weapon that has an easier trigger pull, so I'm assuming that the entire kit is the way to go. If I get one I will probably let a gun smith do the work for me since this is a self defense weapon for me.

Ok I had the 43x out for the first time, it was incredible. Okay I’m a def a Glock guy I own several of them and carried the 19 for a while. The 43x is the best carry gun in my opinion that and the 365. You ca t go wrong with either. I love how the 43x is slim with the long frame it’s like gripping a full size gun but the slide is under 4 inches. Functionality of the firearm was superb no malfunction and felt great would recommend to anyone. Sig 365 I had a chance to shoot and liked it but the Glock is way better in my opinion.

Lady Radtekk carries and likes the Springfield xD9 Mod.2 4". Nice, reliable, accurate, the range pack comes with like 5 mags. 10 rounds, double stack. Reliable, strips down in 15 seconds to 4 pieces, no tools or special "handling" required. We have several in 9 and 45. Different grip than a glock, she went from the g26 to the xD and is happier. YMMV.

The PPS (with paddle mag release) is not just a great reliable CCW, it brings out the Christmas spirit as well.

20131130_200300.jpg

Last edited:
For me the G26 is my carry choice. But I do like the Shield, G43 and the Springfield Mod2 4". The P365 might be a great choice for you also.
If you are near me, you can try out the Glocks at my clubs, West or North Brookfield.

For me the G26 is my carry choice. But I do like the Shield, G43 and the Springfield Mod2 4". The P365 might be a great choice for you also.
If you are near me, you can try out the Glocks at my clubs, West or North Brookfield.
Yeah, I normally make that offer also. But Tennessee might be a little far. Although Lady Radtekk and I would be happy to host.

If you can get to a decent gun show, touch all the guns, even if you don't think you'd like it.

Or the next best thing, go to some gun shops and absolutely ask to touch all the guns there too. Don't feel bad. It's like buying clothes in a store... you'd likely try it on before you buy, right? At least, put it up against your body and look at it in a mirror real quick?

Or get to place that has rentals like Mass Firearms School and Manchester Firing Line... both of which I have no experience with but I have heard of people going there, that's all I know about it lol

Personally, I've gone with the Glock 43; it's been over 3 years that I've been carrying it daily. I had the Shield 9mm before and my very first was the Sig P238. I can't do a double stacked gun (like the G26) because my hands are just too small to wrap around it properly / trigger finger too short to reach the trigger evenly, etc. Even if a bigger gun would fit into my hands, it wouldn't conceal well against my body (unless I wore super baggy clothes, I'm sure).

If you ever find yourself in Harrisburg, PA in early February, every year, they have a thing called "The Great American Outdoor Show"... you can't buy the guns there as it's not a gun show but many manufacturers come show off their guns there and you are highly encouraged to touch every gun you see and ask all the questions you want.

So many choices now.
Kahr PM9, as a baseline, and comparing to that:
Glock G43
Walther PPS M2
Sig 365

here:

Last edited:
Since this is continuing, I now have two more choices for you. The Mossberg MC1sc is a great carry gun. It has been reliable with a few hiccups that I believe was caused by the way I hold the gun and also while breaking it in. If capacity is what you want, then the Glock 43X is great. Slimmer than the G26 but a longer grip.

Since this is continuing, I now have two more choices for you. The Mossberg MC1sc is a great carry gun. It has been reliable with a few hiccups that I believe was caused by the way I hold the gun and also while breaking it in. If capacity is what you want, then the Glock 43X is great. Slimmer than the G26 but a longer grip.
I forgot about the mc1. I would add that to my list as well

Back
Top Bottom