Looking for opinion on new carry gun

I also like the LC9s. They can be gotten pretty inexpensively too. OP take a ride up 91 to Turners Falls and check out the Gun Rack. They don't rent but I don't think they'll mind if you want to handle a bunch of pistols. Pretty good selection too I think. (I'm not connected to them at all).

Glock 19 milled for an RMR (ateiguns.com, pro cut), couple preban 19 mags for carry, 17 mags for range/home. Five cases of ammo, one of which is HST (first thursday of every month is 50% off HST at targetsportsusa.com). Coursework from a reputable trainer (as an example Sig Academy HG 102, 103, 104, Low Light, CCW, CQ pistol, pick up in the progression wherever you think you are...skip 101 if you have touched a gun before). Dry fire a ton (manipulation, malfunction clearances, draw, transitions, reloads...almost everything you need to be safe, efficient with your new choice, and competent). Right around when you're buying a second 19 with RMR and running low on ammo you're putting your third RSA in your now-range gun (the spring counts dryfires as well as live fires), and you're getting super comfy with the platform. Feed the second one 300 rounds of the HST and now that's your carry gun. If it won't feed 147 HST step it down to 124 or 124+P (the 147 OAL is slightly longer). Get force on force training. Get medical training. Try out USPSA or IDPA, stow your ego because you are going to suck at first, but the communities are great and participation will lightspeed fast-track your mechanical skill, efficiency, and gun handling.

You're going to have to experiment with what fits you and your body/carry location, but the 19 is pretty universal for a good balance of being concealable and still having someplace to grab the damn thing. Little guns like the 43 or 365 are fine but they suck to shoot, relatively speaking, in my experience. They have their place but based on your post you aren't looking for one. If you can pull off a 17 or 34, go for it. In fact, a 19 in a 17 or 34 AIWB or IWB holster (counterintuitively) does real well, the longer holster provides good stability. If you can take the extra length on the back of the grip of a 17 or 34, go for one of those I guess. Some people can make those work but in my uninformed opinion the juice isn't worth the squeeze there. 48/43X an option as well but the dot market/WML performance isn't there yet and for me dot is life, WML is a must.

Any other reputable manufacturer's striker pistol is going to be suitable provided you test YOUR particular serial number with YOUR carry ammo, don't read reliability reports on the internet. VP9 (I own one, love it), PPQ, M&P 2.0, P320 are all reasonable options. Shot them all, they are all fine. Depending on how goofy you want to get with aftermarket, the availability of preban magazines, holster selection, simplicity of action all sort of favor the Glock and are why I chose what I chose.

I shoot 8" steel at 100y with the 19 with a dot, generally don't go 10/10 but from the size of benched groups at 25y I wouldn't expect to. That, to me, says this thing is as accurate as I need it to be.

I'm running a Glock 48 for that duty right now. It's a good pistol, but limited to 10 rounds. Replace the sights with some Dawson's and shoot the shit out of it until you are comfortable/confident to bet your life on it. I would call it a small - midsize pistol.

There's been some good suggestions here. I just want to throw this out there. The Glock grip angle. I hate it. Sure, it's just a training issue and can be overcome, but something to be aware of. Likewise, you may dislike the grip angle of a Sig if you learned on a Glock. It works both ways. Glock makes great pistols, but they're not for me.

Bottom line: this topic is very subjective. I'd definitely recommend trying out different pistols and finding one that works for YOU. Whether that's a Glock, Sig, S&W M&P, etc. There are a plethora of reliable CCW pistols these days.

As much as I love the light weight of my M&P340PD, I think the time has come to move into a semi-auto from a revolver. I want to go handgun shopping and I wanted to ask for some advice. Here are the requirements I have staked out:

1). This is going to be used as a CCW weapon. This is not a range or plinking toy.
2). Since it's a CCW weapon I am looking for reliability.
3). I have settled on 9mm for myself and believe that is good enough for me. Yes I've watched all the cop mag dump into the bad guys videos online.
4). I am looking for something in the mid range size. I do not want a compact pocket gun. I have the 340PD for that. I'm not sure I want full size either since I worry about conceal-ability (see below for more info).
5). I am looking for something that will fit comfortably in my hands and I can get up to speed with and can learn quickly with standard shooting, offhand, etc. So to me a mid size with a mag extender might be good.
6). I prefer striker fired but I am willing to entertain all possibilities if it fits nicely in my hands.

Are there mid size 9mm that are as accurate to use as a full sized 9mm? It seems like a lot of the companies are laser focused on CCW to the point where the pistols are so tiny I wonder if they will work under real life conditions.

I want to move away from the revolver not because I don't like it, but for these reasons:
1). I find the cylinder a bit of a distraction since it sticks out more and causes it to feel slightly uncomfortable when holstered.
2). 5 round capacity. After shooting it for a few years I have found those 5 rounds go quickly. I would prefer having a magazine versus a bianchi strip.
3). Still have difficulty keeping the pistol on target when using with .357 magnum.

I ordered a new holster for a S&W SD9VE and I wanted to test it this weekend to see how a full size felt using my usual right side, IWB, near the hips carry position. So I might change my mind I don't know. But I think that my future is in a mid sized version.

I welcome any opinions and if anyone has any questions then please ask. Thanks!
Take a look at either the VP9sk or my favorite the P30sk. The grip is the best I have ever felt and is customizable with back and side straps.

Yeah I get that and I also feel kind of weird going into a gun shop and asking to handle all of the pistols and then not finding something I like after chewing up the sales persons time. Most of the times I have been in a gun shop they are doing a brisk business and honestly I feel like I'm being a tire kicker.

I wonder if there are any rental places out here in say the Springfield area?
Hot brass in west springfield has a decent rental selection. I am a member and my membership includes free rentals. I would be willing to meet up and let you try anything I owe to try also.
I have
HK P30sk
Hk VP9
HK USP 9
Hk 45
Sig P938

Glock 19. But if you have a short list, post it up.

I have a lot of the popular mid, compact, and sub 9mms out. And I’d be happy to have you out to the range to try them out.

I’m sure there are a lot of others here who would do the same.

Yeah I get that and I also feel kind of weird going into a gun shop and asking to handle all of the pistols and then not finding something I like after chewing up the sales persons time. Most of the times I have been in a gun shop they are doing a brisk business and honestly I feel like I'm being a tire kicker.

What I don't get is that Gun Shops don't host "Ladies Nights" for the fastest growing segment of New Gun Owners. Women...

First Semi Auto PD issued. Feels like shooting a 22
P1020776a.jpg P1020773a.jpg

G36 Pocket print through
FA2a.png

Last edited:
My mother loves hers and was super bummed when she finally admitted to herself she was unable to rack the slide due to her arthritis.
Maybe have mom try holding slide immobile with support hand, and pushing gun forward with strong hand. Keep close to body for max force. I've got arthritis in both thumb basal joints...this works. Practice makes muscle memory.

I’m a big fan of the LC9S. I haven’t seen the EC9S. But it’s probably not much different. I know it’s only 7+1. I had a small problem with the 9 rnd mags I bought and Ruger replaced them no questions asked. My Stepson who is a glock fan was surprised at how well and accurate it shot. I was carrying a Ruger SP101 which I still do off and on. But I really do recommend the LC9S. I’ve been haunting them to come out with a 10 rnd version.
I also like the LC9s. They can be gotten pretty inexpensively too. OP take a ride up 91 to Turners Falls and check out the Gun Rack. They don't rent but I don't think they'll mind if you want to handle a bunch of pistols. Pretty good selection too I think. (I'm not connected to them at all).

another vote for the LC9S. I bought the hideous deWalt black/yellow version of it on an impulse buy, never intending to carry it, just a novelty.

after shooting it one time, i wish i had bought in all black. i carry a sig 938 but if i see a LC9S in black @ the right price i'll grab it.

nice trigger, nice shooter, may be too small for what you're looking for, but as MFSP101 said, 9 round mags are available adding a 1/2 inch to the grip

My mother loves hers and was super bummed when she finally admitted to herself she was unable to rack the slide due to her arthritis.
Have mom give the m&p 380 ez a try. Hands down won the most liked pistol by an all woman field in a recent comparison I saw. Not tiny and easy to rack.

Been carrying a 9mm PPS for around 7 years.

The Shield was a cheap attempt at making a better PPS. It had a ton of marketing behind it. That's about it

And now, because of the new PPS, they are very cheap.

A good fit for a concealed carry gun depends on your body habitus. If you are a petite lady, or a larger woman, the same hand fit gun won't matter. Chances are that you may never need to draw, but you will need to be confident, comfortable, and invisible concealed carrying.

I guess definitions are hard.
SUBcompact
p365
g43
g43x
shield
lc9s

which I think are all smaller than the OP asked for when saying no pocket guns.

I think the space being looked at is compacts so generally ~4" barrel and natural capacity of ~15rds
glock 19
tp9sf elite
cz p10c
styer m9-a1
hk vp9
beretta apx
S&W M&P9c
etc

and the new breed
glock 48
p365 XL

Back