Looking for opinion on new carry gun

Maybe have mom try holding slide immobile with support hand, and pushing gun forward with strong hand. Keep close to body for max force. I've got arthritis in both thumb basal joints...this works. Practice makes muscle memory.

Thanks, I had her try it on many different trips to the range. She never got comfortable with that option and would just get frustrated, mainly because she is sentimental about the Shield because I got it for her as a Mothers Day present and it was her first firearm. I believe she feels that I'm disappointed in her inability to use it effectively even though she had owned it for a good amount of time and initially didn't have a problem with it. No matter how many times I tell her otherwise I know it still sits there in the back of her mind.
Have mom give the m&p 380 ez a try. Hands down won the most liked pistol by an all woman field in a recent comparison I saw. Not tiny and easy to rack.
That's been the plan ever since I saw that it existed, only thing is she'll get super pissed if I buy her one and yell at me to stop spending my money on her. She yammers on enough about plenty of things that are mainly background noise whenever we talk, I don't need for her to focus her energies on me. So much so I made her her own personal ring tone from the Ralphie May Silence bit.

From the 29sec mark to the 31sec mark.

Shield 45
I shoot it better than my 9
Shield M&P .45 is an excellent option.

I know that the OP specified 9mm but...........I agree.

FWIW:
I bought a used one with a ”free state” trigger. I was surprised at how soft shooting it is for a .45.

It is less snappy than my dads 9mm shield and the trigger is better than his which has the Apex trigger kit.

Bob

I guess definitions are hard.
SUBcompact
p365
g43
g43x
shield
I disagree with that. The Glock 43 is similar in size to the Kahr PM9 - your pinky wont fit on the grip.

The 43x has a significantly longer grip and a 10 round magazine. All your fingers will fit on the grip. It handles much more like a Kahr K9, but with a 10 round magazine instead of a 7 round magazine.

Shoot a bunch of guns and then buy the one that you like the best. If you network enough here there are some fine members that you can bring decent
ammo to shoot their guns with. It's too bad smith wasn't still open I'd offer to drive out with several glocks and let you try them out. I think there's some
other pay range out there but I'm not familiar with it. I have friends out that way I could visit after and turn it into a day thing. There are likely some folks
that have a more diverse selection of carry-type guns than I do. Years ago I covered like 4 brands pretty well but I'm a 90% Glock owner now, the rest are
mostly full size guns from Sig, CZ, and Dan Wesson.

I realize trying to do this is sometimes logistically painful, but it's not nearly as bad as settling for the wrong gun, which ends up being a lose-lose proposition, because
say you buy something like Shield and you hate it, you're never getting your money back, maybe 60% of it if you're lucky once you factor in the transactional cost of
dumping it and getting something to replace it, etc. The used market is pretty soft these days.

Another idea... find someone halfway competent that does handgun instruction that owns a bunch of different, newer guns. Then on top of getting to try all of his or
her guns you get some instruction out of the deal, too. Win-Win. They can also help you isolate issues that are shooter related vs gun related, although ergonomic
failures of guns show pretty well even in a side by side comparison.

-Mike

I disagree with that. The Glock 43 is similar in size to the Kahr PM9 - your pinky wont fit on the grip.

The 43x has a significantly longer grip and a 10 round magazine. All your fingers will fit on the grip. It handles much more like a Kahr K9, but with a 10 round magazine instead of a 7 round magazine.
The 43x and 48 and p365 and p365xl are all sitting on the line. They don’t fit clearly within the old subcompact/compact dichotomy. I chose to draw the line with the 43x and p365 on the subcompact side and the 48 and xl on the compact side. I think it is consistent with how they market and truly with how they stack up. Arguably they are all in a new category of pre-compact (like pre-teen) or something.

The rest of the compacts I listed are true double stacks typically 15rd and 4” barrel. The xl and 48 meet this except for having pseudo double stacks for12/10 rd capacity. The 43x and p365 are 10rd and shorter barrels so really not in the same class.

I also guess that girl hands might fully fit those grips but my paws still have the pinky falling off. Even the glock 19 is uncomfortable for my pinky.

All great suggestions. But why does the Walther get zero recommendations? No love for the Walther. I dont own one but shot one once and it seemed nice.

The 43x and 48 and p365 and p365xl are all sitting on the line. They don’t fit clearly within the old subcompact/compact dichotomy. I chose to draw the line with the 43x and p365 on the subcompact side and the 48 and xl on the compact side. I think it is consistent with how they market and truly with how they stack up. Arguably they are all in a new category of pre-compact (like pre-teen) or something.

The rest of the compacts I listed are true double stacks typically 15rd and 4” barrel. The xl and 48 meet this except for having pseudo double stacks for12/10 rd capacity. The 43x and p365 are 10rd and shorter barrels so really not in the same class.

I also guess that girl hands might fully fit those grips but my paws still have the pinky falling off. Even the glock 19 is uncomfortable for my pinky.
You must have very large hands. I wear large size gloves. My hand fully fits on a Glock 19, Glock 43x, Kahr K9. My hand doesn’t fully fit on a Glock 43, Kahr PM9, Glock 26.

That is how I draw the line between subcompact (grip too small for all fingers) and compact (all fingers fit).

Yeah I get that and I also feel kind of weird going into a gun shop and asking to handle all of the pistols and then not finding something I like after chewing up the sales persons time. Most of the times I have been in a gun shop they are doing a brisk business and honestly I feel like I'm being a tire kicker.

I wonder if there are any rental places out here in say the Springfield area?

Vettegirl, Hot Brass in W Spfld has a range where you can rent guns (I think). I'm also local in the Springfield area and coincidentally need to get a range trip in soon. You could try out my G19 and G43 if you'd like. I also have a shield .40. Those are my only guns that kind of fit in the area you are looking for. I'm happy to let you try them out if it will help make a decision easier.

For what it's worth I carry a G43 late spring-early fall and the G19 the rest of the year. I used to carry my shield until I got the G43.

PM me if interested. I also have a bunch of different holsters for those that you can try out. Good luck

I guess definitions are hard.
SUBcompact
p365
g43
g43x
shield
lc9s

which I think are all smaller than the OP asked for when saying no pocket guns.

I think the space being looked at is compacts so generally ~4" barrel and natural capacity of ~15rds
glock 19
tp9sf elite
cz p10c
styer m9-a1
hk vp9
beretta apx
S&W M&P9c
etc

and the new breed
glock 48
p365 XL

Interesting. I would never think of my P365 as a pocket gun. My P238 - absolutely, but not the 365. At least for my height/weight/build.

I've been testing out a relatively new P80 compact build (G19 size) for the past few weeks. Last Sunday I went to the range and brought my Shield 9mm and P365. Haven't touch those in over a month. I was astounded how snappy they felt after shooting the P80 compact for a while. I was also pleasantly surprised by how concealable the P80 is for CCW. This time of year helps tremendously on that end, but it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be to conceal a compact pistol. Still might fall back on the Shield/P365 in the summer during T shirt weather, but I think I'm going to carry compact size pistols from now on as much as I can in other situations. They shoot softer than subcompacts, which equals steadier/faster target acquisition between shots and just a more enjoyable shooting experience. Just my 2 cents, but I'd say a G19 or similar size is the way to go for CCW.

I agree, try as many as you can before you decide. If you find yourself close to Cape Cod you can shoot my 365, 43, Shield, PM9 to compare. Or larger guns like the G19 or M&P 2.0C - I don't have any subcompacts like the 26 or VP9sk as that size gun doesn't serve any purpose for me.

Shoot a bunch of guns and then buy the one that you like the best. If you network enough here there are some fine members that you can bring decent
ammo to shoot their guns with. It's too bad smith wasn't still open I'd offer to drive out with several glocks and let you try them out. I think there's some
other pay range out there but I'm not familiar with it. I have friends out that way I could visit after and turn it into a day thing. There are likely some folks
that have a more diverse selection of carry-type guns than I do. Years ago I covered like 4 brands pretty well but I'm a 90% Glock owner now, the rest are
mostly full size guns from Sig, CZ, and Dan Wesson.

I realize trying to do this is sometimes logistically painful, but it's not nearly as bad as settling for the wrong gun, which ends up being a lose-lose proposition, because
say you buy something like Shield and you hate it, you're never getting your money back, maybe 60% of it if you're lucky once you factor in the transactional cost of
dumping it and getting something to replace it, etc. The used market is pretty soft these days.

Another idea... find someone halfway competent that does handgun instruction that owns a bunch of different, newer guns. Then on top of getting to try all of his or
her guns you get some instruction out of the deal, too. Win-Win. They can also help you isolate issues that are shooter related vs gun related, although ergonomic
failures of guns show pretty well even in a side by side comparison.

-Mike

Another gun HK needs to remake, it would be a huge hit, but they'd have to ditch the expensive, complicated squeeze cocker, or design a cheaper one.

This is my favorite criticism of the P7:
The P7 has a gas chamber, even if HK was smart enough to call it a gas cylinder. Nothing German after 1945 should have a gas chamber.

CZ P-10S is a solid one to consider. 12 rounder to me is a midsize sort of compact. So 13 rounds on board and the P-10 line has unbelievable ergos and a wonderful trigger right out of the box (with the S trigger evenna tad smoother and crisp than the C or F). Certainly just as reliable as your Glocks and you may find it juuuust a bit more "shootable"; especially if you're someone that finds the Glock grip a tad "blocky" and trigger just "okay".

All great suggestions. But why does the Walther get zero recommendations? No love for the Walther. I dont own one but shot one once and it seemed nice.

I think a pps is a great possibility. It does not get enough respect.

you will need to “try on“ a bunch of options (holsters and positions) and see what fits you. A lot of these suggestions will probably end up being far too large And or wide depending on how/ where you intend to carry. Also if you will want different placement based on wardrobe.

the last thing you want is to have people asking if you have cancer and an ostomy bag or pregnant. And explaining “that bulge”.

Another gun HK needs to remake, it would be a huge hit, but they'd have to ditch the expensive, complicated squeeze cocker, or design a cheaper one.

This is my favorite criticism of the P7:
I love my p7m8 and would never sell it.

but.. it is just too heavy and too expensive for a carry piece at this point. And the choices of holsters are very slim. And expensive.

I love my p7m8 and would never sell it.

but.. it is just too heavy and too expensive for a carry piece at this point. And the choices of holsters are very slim. And expensive.

Yeah if you take away the squeeze cock mechanism which makes it heavy and expensive, it's just a single stack VP9. But that would be a big seller. An HK G43X would be a big hit.

I've carried 1911's, Walther P99's, S&W 442 J frame and now a Sig P365 and all of them were comfortable & fine standing but when sitting with the 1911's and P99's not as much. The J frame I've only carried pocket or ankle but always comfortable and the Sig P365 I've carried IWB and pocket and very comfortable. The 1911's and the P 99 are bigger than you are looking for and the Sig is probably smaller than you want but I could meet you at Granby and you could try it or any of the others.

My mother loves hers and was super bummed when she finally admitted to herself she was unable to rack the slide due to her arthritis.
On the outside chance she's not aware of it, have her look at the M&P Shield 380 EZ. They made it just for her.
WRT "but .380", the stats I've read show there's almost no difference with 9mm in shots to end the threat. Placement trumps muzzle energy.

ETA: I'm a LC9s fanboy. No one makes a trigger kit for it because it doesn't need one. I added a Hogue Handall grip sleeve for my larger hands.

45 full size, large cap, 2, 14 round extra mags, vertical shoulder holster, 2 extra mags on the off side. Go big or go home, we should carry as much as the police as well as additional mags.

Semi off topic but related question. Anyone know if or when the P365XL will be available in the Commiewealth?

Semi off topic but related question. Anyone know if or when the P365XL will be available in the Commiewealth?

I wouldn't get excited about it just yet. Half of the reviews on Sigs website are complaining about reliability and failure to go into battery issues.

Back
Top Bottom