Looking for opinion on new carry gun

There are just so many options these days, you really need to think about what specifically you are looking for in a carry gun. The pros and cons and what matters most to you.

As others have mentioned, "mid-sized" has a ton of actual size variations depending on what each person thinks it means. With so many options even from the same manufacturer in the same line of pistols. Take glock for example. You have the 17, 19, 19x/45, 26, 43x, 43. What's midsized, anything smaller than the 17? Even the G43 is bigger than some other companies subcompacts.

And the small carry pistols like the Sig 365 and Springfield Hellcat, etc, that companies are making today are way better than the comparable sized pistols of just 5 years ago. So if you try some out, you may find you are interested in a smaller pistol then you previously thought.

It's a tough decision with so many options. I agree with the others, give some a try first. My sole recommendation is that whatever you get, make sure it's something you WILL carry. It's no good if you leave it at home. It's no good even if it's something you occasionally think, well, not today, it's too inconvenient. So unless you have another gun you WILL carry in a situation where size (or lack of) is important, don't get something too big.

Yeah if you take away the squeeze cock mechanism which makes it heavy and expensive, it's just a single stack VP9. But that would be a big seller. An HK G43X would be a big hit.

it is a lot more than that. Excellent trigger. Great sites. Awesome grip, natural pointer. And very low bore axis. It is just one of those guns that they really did right and all comes together. It is greater than the sum of the features.

Semi off topic but related question. Anyone know if or when the P365XL will be available in the Commiewealth?

Yes, eventually, but we need to get an AG with some common sense first.

Damnit - I guess that means no then.

Lol. Not laughing at you per se... just the idea that anyone is shooting a pistol to its mechanical limit of accuracy in any situation. Any modern production pistol from big manufacturers is fine accuracy wise.

Read her post again. Nothing was said about a firearms mechanical limit of accuracy. Nothing. She was clearly talking about practical accuracy, which is entirely different and valid.

I can, as I'm sure you can as well, shoot pretty much any pistol with acceptable accuracy under controlled range shooting. Indeed the guns mechanical accuracy is almost certainly beyond my own ability to reach. And while thank god I've never been in a real self defense shooting situation, so the closest I have to gauge my abilities is more dynamic or competition shooting, the results have a noticeable difference on my accuracy depending on the guns used in those situations, despite the minute differences under stationary controlled shooting. I don’t shoot one gun better than another because one gun is mechanically capable of such better accuracy.

Yes, every single modern and even pretty much every non modern firearm is fine from a mechanical accuracy standpoint. That isn't what we're talking about and means NOTHING if YOU, as a shooter, cannot shoot it accurately for ANY reason. Which is clearly why she was asking.

Where did VetteGirlMA go?

I'm right here. I've been thinking about what everyone has said to me. I received some very good information and now I think I need to go try some different handguns to find out what works for me. I'm going to take a drive over to Hot Brass in West Springfield because they have rentals and this way I can figure out what I like.

Anecdotal for the most part but I do have some data to back it up through qual scores:

Compact pistols from reputable manufacturers are just as accurate as the full size for most ranges. We shoot the HnK P2k and the SK for the same qualification shooting. The scores between the two guns with the same shooter are within the normal swing of scores for the person. The oddity is the scores generally go up a bit for the SK, but I attribute that to shooting it second and having a 'warm up' session.

I've never personally shot the SK and have certainly not played at extreme ranges like I have with the USP/P2K. But protection shooting is at conversational distances not howitzering in a 40 at 200 yards to hit steel. Inside 25 yards, which would be a long shot for 'protection' in my opinion for most cases, I'd carry a compact all day.

That said; if you want a midsize for whatever reason, go for it. Hell, go full sized, but don't think you are getting any real inherent advantage with the longer barrel AT CCW DISTANCES (caps because some gun nerd is going to imply the accuracy advantage of the longer barrel). A subcompact probably outshoots the skill of the person shooting it. You do generally gain ammo capacity with the larger gun, again, the chances of needing 15 rounds in a CCW event is rare.

Find a gun that fits you. First and foremost it has to be comfortable and assists with YOUR natural point of aim.

I was trying to trade away my M&P 9c 2.0 recently until I took it to the range for the second time. With the Apex trigger installed and a talon rubber overlay to offset the overly pokey grip texture, I found it was my new favorite carry pistol. About the size of a G19 but fits my hand better. I was frankly amazed at how accurate and easy it was to shoot. Also, the shield in 9mm has gotten me through a couple of classes with complete reliability. I trust it with my life.

If you can get to a decent gun show, touch all the guns, even if you don't think you'd like it.

Or the next best thing, go to some gun shops and absolutely ask to touch all the guns there too. Don't feel bad. It's like buying clothes in a store... you'd likely try it on before you buy, right? At least, put it up against your body and look at it in a mirror real quick?

Or get to place that has rentals like Mass Firearms School and Manchester Firing Line... both of which I have no experience with but I have heard of people going there, that's all I know about it lol

Personally, I've gone with the Glock 43; it's been over 3 years that I've been carrying it daily. I had the Shield 9mm before and my very first was the Sig P238. I can't do a double stacked gun (like the G26) because my hands are just too small to wrap around it properly / trigger finger too short to reach the trigger evenly, etc. Even if a bigger gun would fit into my hands, it wouldn't conceal well against my body (unless I wore super baggy clothes, I'm sure).

If you ever find yourself in Harrisburg, PA in early February, every year, they have a thing called "The Great American Outdoor Show"... you can't buy the guns there as it's not a gun show but many manufacturers come show off their guns there and you are highly encouraged to touch every gun you see and ask all the questions you want.

How so?

I know that they heat up very quickly, so using them for an extended range session is an issue, but I’ve never fired one myself.
The P7M8 had disproportionate recoil and you must maintain constant pressure on the grip frame. More pressure than would normally be required.

Wow P365s on sale for $399 at Cabelas/Basspro. Starting Black Friday for a few days. Didn’t take long.

m&p shield is pretty much the gold standard, just put the factory free state trigger parts in it.
They are really built well and can handle full time range use.
They are also fairly cheap now, $50 rebate I think too.

P365 is awesome too.

Can never go wrong with a Glock either, g26 was it for me for years. G19 is like the Ford F150 of handguns, if you can conceal it.

m&p shield is pretty much the gold standard
No disrespect, but I am not sure many people would agree with that.
I would suggest that when it comes to midsized/compact handguns, every gun is always compared to the G19, and truth be told, if you like the feel, and can shoot it well, it really does check all the boxes. It is the most reliable semi auto platform ever produced, pre-bans are abundant, and it is as accurate as you are.
When carrying IWB, overall thickness and barrel length are the two biggest factors for me, followed by weight. If the barrel is too long, it can dig into your side, if the gun is too wide, you need bigger pants. Too heavy and you have to pull your belt so tight it is uncomfortable. All of the suggestions so far have merit, but I would suggest , based on your criteria, that you try two guns that not many have suggested. I recommend you try the Sig 320 compact. It is bigger than the 365 and handles very well, but being a polymer frame, it is pretty light. I think you might also be surprised by a commander size 1911 in 9mm. They are very pleasant to shoot, and because they are single stacks and thin, they are very concealable.
My current EDC is the 365 because it is easy to shoot and you forget it's there because it carries so well. In warmer months, I used to carry a PM9 because it was so easily concealed, but you really have to hold onto that little sucker when shooting it. The 365 feels better (for me) in the hand, and handles like a bigger gun.

Well being on vacation this week gave me time to try out a bunch of different handguns. In the end I settled on the S&W shield 2.0 in 9mm. I really really love this handgun. It was just exactly what I was looking for. My second choice would have been the Sig P365 but the Smith was the better choice as far as I'm concerned especially for my hand grip. The Smith has not just the right feel for a hand grip but the ergonomics for carry as well. I didn't want to add more to this thread until I had a chance to take it to the range and give it a whirl. It being new to me, it's obviously going to take some practice to get a good grouping. I was all over the place but the thing is, I feel that this is exactly what I need for a CC weapon. Many profound thanks to the input from so many here! I appreciate the help and opportunity I received from members.

On the outside chance she's not aware of it, have her look at the M&P Shield 380 EZ. They made it just for her.
WRT "but .380", the stats I've read show there's almost no difference with 9mm in shots to end the threat. Placement trumps muzzle energy.

I was just about to post this. But with 380, use FMJ or Lehigh extreme penetrator/defender rounds. JHPs are just too unreliable from a penetration standpoint.

I know the S&W Shield is not the pistol for many shooters.
I have to say it's the grip and the short distance of your index finger to the trigger that makes it liked by others.
You don't have to adjust your grip to reach for the trigger and it has a very natural feel to it.

The down sides are an unusable MA mandated trigger, a slide that can be hard to rack for some and limited ammo capacity compared to some other pistols.
The trigger is an easy but some what costly issue to remedy.

It is a tried and true pistol that is incredibly reliable and shoots very softly like a larger handgun.
The 2.0 model does come with an improved grip texturing and a slightly better trigger.
Magazines for it are easy to find and very inexpensive as is the pistol itself.
It's cost to quality are very good. They didn't skimp on quality for such a reasonably priced pistol.
Finally you are buying a product made right here in MA by a company with a great warranty and history in making firearms.

Last edited:
I just switched ccw from a Sig 938 to a Glock 26 Gen 5. 938 developed reliability issues with mag drop. Problem fixed but the trust is gone. I was never a big glock fan but that has changed. I have a 21, 19 and now 26. To make them comfortable I have Talon grips, and TFX sights.

I much prefer my shield over my G43. But the stock MA trigger version has to go. Dump the trigger and replace it and you’re good to go.

I have to pick up some Black Friday ammo tomorrow and hopefully I can get more rounds down the barrel. I honestly didn't find the trigger that hard, but having done other triggers on other guns, I totally agree with making it easier to pull.

If you don't mind what trigger replacement do you recommend for it?

So many choices, Canik, Glock, Sig, Ruger, S&W, CZ, Kahr, Springfield, HK, KelTec, NAA, etc.; and so many choices of "mini" 1911's.

I am starting to reconsider smaller/lighter, like the NAA Guardian, Kahr 380, or KelTec P3AT.

It's cost to quality are very good. They didn't skimp on quality for such a reasonably priced pistol.
Fit and finish of the Shields I have fired were an unexpected surprise. If it fit my hand better, I would own one.
I much prefer my shield over my G43. But the stock MA trigger version has to go. Dump the trigger and replace it and you’re good to go.

Apex drop in trigger FTW. I suspect those groups will tighten right up.

I have to pick up some Black Friday ammo tomorrow and hopefully I can get more rounds down the barrel. I honestly didn't find the trigger that hard, but having done other triggers on other guns, I totally agree with making it easier to pull.

I have an Apex in mine.

If yours isn’t too bad, then maybe you have a free state version? The MA one is truly terrible.
When I got mine, I had first fired a friends with an Apex trigger. I had also fired a friends in a free state. I liked it and found a great deal on a used/new stock MA shield. I took it to the range once and sold it because the trigger was terrible. I ended up getting another with the Apex kit already installed.

Kahr PM9. I have carried it in my pants pocket in a pocket holster daily for years. Very smooth trigger pull, albeit a bit long. But for pocket carry I prefer a longer trigger pull for safety reasons.

Very comfortable to hold and shoot. Accurate too with great build quality.

Get a non-Massachusetts version without the safety IMHO.

Great little handgun.

Back
Top Bottom