• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a 4.25" Barrel 45

The 3" S&W Pro and the Sig Ultra Carry (3") are available in MA.

The point with the compacts are that you don't use them as hi round count range guns.

None of my carry guns have a high round count.

Short 1911s are also lacking in relaibility, as M1911 indicates. I had a couple officers model lightweights (colts) and while mine worked fine, if you fed them the wrong ammo you would get punished for it... and you can forget about running those guns dirty. Not to mention the recoil springs get the piss pounded out of them and need to be replaced pretty quickly. The stock guns also kinda beat the shit out of you unless you do things like change the beavertail, etc. I'd rather just have a G30 and get half the abuse and 10 times the reliability. (and the recoil spring lasts a lot longer).
-Mike
those short 3" 1911's, at least when i got mine, were designed for run of the mill 230 gr. ball. boutique designer ammo was not as mainstream as it is now. winchester silver tips come to mind as one of the few hp defense rounds available at the time and the little p12 didn't like those at all. even today it chokes on hp's but will run all day on ball. but...it does, like most short 1911's, hiccup every now and then. don't want to give the impression it's flawless.

and the pounding the slide took due to the spring, i always attributed the galling at the slide stop to it. neither my p14 or 16 exhibit this peening in that location. i had read on the 1911 forum sometime ago that the galling at the slide stop was due to improper heat treating of some slides. don't know how to comment on that....there's a decent short article in the feb 2012 issue of shooting times "short barrel 1911's: what makes 'em tick" by the now disgraced dick metcalf. if i get ambitious i'll scan it and put it up for those interested.

I have several Kimbers from 3" to 5". Never had a failure to feed or eject. With night sights and lazer grips, they make a fine protection gun. I have some Glocks for capacity, but I don't particularly care for them.

3" models are the worst. Horrid reliability.

I'll have to disagree with this. I bought a Colt Defender specifically to carry and while she doesn't have a high round count I haven't had any problems running 230gr JHPs out of her. I have no concerns at this point that she will do what's needed when I pull the trigger.

Now I've also shot a Warthog a few years back as I was thinking of getting one. That thing jammed on me many times just going through one box of ammo. Definitely passed on that gun.

They have this place called New Hampshire, where you can buy any pistol you want, and then per Federal law, transfer it down to a dealer in Mass and take it home, as long as the pistol doesn't violate the Mass AWB, etc.

Sorry, we're obligated to point this out once we get out licenses up in NH. We sign a deal with the Department of Tourism, Economic Development and Toll Booths. [wink]

Honestly, don't let the stupid AG or compliance list stop you from getting the gun you want. If the short barrel kimber is it, go for it. I believe all those bullsh*t lists only effect dealers so just get creative and the gun is yours legally.

When I first got my para ordnance 1911's, there was an out of the box feeding issue with the double stack mags on the full sized 14 & 16. Para ordnance Canada had me ship them to the us warranty contractor in my area. I lived in colorado so they went to cylinder and slide, in Idaho ?? I think. The mags that went up were modified and still have their "proof marks" visible. They also tuned the pistols for gratis as a peace offering I guess. Since c & s was gaining a decent rep in ipsc, I didn't object. I forgot this detail, just found the work order in one of the boxes.

No issues with my P14 purchased in 1995. Put over 5k rounds through it in about 18 months of IPSC shoots while living in FL.

If I was looking for a single stack, I'd take a serious look at what Magnum Research offers.

I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II, and a Kimber Solo. Never had a malfunction in either.

How'd you get them!?

Honestly, don't let the stupid AG or compliance list stop you from getting the gun you want. If the short barrel kimber is it, go for it. I believe all those bullsh*t lists only effect dealers so just get creative and the gun is yours legally.

Well if I could find a dealer in mass that wanted to sell me one!

those short 3" 1911's, at least when i got mine, were designed for run of the mill 230 gr. ball. boutique designer ammo was not as mainstream as it is now. winchester silver tips come to mind as one of the few hp defense rounds available at the time and the little p12 didn't like those at all. even today it chokes on hp's but will run all day on ball. but...it does, like most short 1911's, hiccup every now and then. don't want to give the impression it's flawless.

I bet it would run Rem Golden Sabre 230s just fine. That's what I always told people to run in pissy 1911s for defense ammo, because the way the nose profile is, its very similar to ball ammo and it doesn't have a sharp edge to get hung up on ramps, etc. Basically if a .45 won't run GS230s I don't want it in my inventory. [laugh]

-Mike

point is the OP wants the BBQ 1911 that's blinged out. I hope you find it and enjoy it, heck its still a gun. I don't know if the EMP is MA compliant but those are pretty trick short barrel 1911's but not 45ACP.
I found my Springfield GI for $300. Had it completely rebuilt and its the best shooter I own. It was at a gun show, had to haggle the guy. On the last day of the show it was still on his table and I said I had $300 cash and he took it.

Last edited:
20160206_130747_zpsztzpj1bl.jpg

20160211_122209_zpsjgr8qgar.jpg

Hard chromed.Much like yourself, I am fatuated with high polish steel or nickel guns. I always wanted a Hi luster nickel Colt 1911 but this was as close I could get.

Next will be to get a set of Punisher grips. LOLZ!

Last edited:
Like others said I'd go with the Ruger 1911 cmdr. Great for the price. A friend has one and loves it. Almost bought it myself but got a S&W. S&W makes them in two tone but not all stainless/silver color if the OP wants that.

Para Ordnance has the worst customer service I've ever experienced. Have you looked at commander length 1911s by anyone else? Do Sig and Remington make a commander length 1911? Does it have to be a 1911? I own a couple of 1911s and like them but I also own a Sig P220 and a Glock 21. They all shoot well but the Sig was the most accurate out of the box

Para Ordnance has the worst customer service I've ever experienced.
never needed them but.....I called once recently to get the manufacturing dates of my guns, you could hear the scowl over the phone. really, no joke. the guy put me on hold and I swear he went to lunch. i'll play the game so after a few, I put the phone on speaker and go about my business, watch tv, whatever. 35-40 minutes he comes back with my info. I think he was taken aback when I came back to him.

I've got a kimber compact stainless that I stumbled across in an estate sale. Nice looking solid shooter. Occasionally will eject a case off my forehead though. Keep looking around, you'll find something.

Last edited:
Paras are ****ing junk. Ruger is better hands down.

Some people live their Paras.

Well known problems include a rather porous casting, and a "power extractor" that accomplishes nothing except assuring that you cannot replace a broken Para extractor with a standard part.

Belatedly...

Personally, I've never particularly understood the desire for a Commander length 1911. The hard part of concealing a 1911 is not the slide length but rather the grip. And the full size 1911 has the same grip as the Commander.

Yahbut a Commander length SR1911 fits in the RH pocket of 5.11 Tactical Pants. (Using a pocket holster).

A 5" 1911 isn't going to fit better in those pants. And if I ever have to defend myself, I suspect it'll be inside Tueller distances; so ¾" more sight radius buys me nada.

How can I buy it all I want, they aren't legal to be sold in mass. If I found a mint Taurus 1911 like I posted with the grips and gold accents, It'd buy it. What are you a cop or a fed or something? I'm not sure how else you'd get one.
They have this place called New Hampshire, where you can buy any pistol you want, and then per Federal law, transfer it down to a dealer in Mass and take it home, as long as the pistol doesn't violate the Mass AWB, etc.

So the same Mass. dealer that won't risk their license for the profit of selling an off-list gun, will gladly risk their license for a $25 service fee to E-file a transfer of the same off-list gun?

Doubtless some FFL out there will do it, but you'd think it'd be easier to find a private party in-state who wants to sell that off-list gun FTF.

Yahbut a Commander length SR1911 fits in the RH pocket of 5.11 Tactical Pants. (Using a pocket holster).

A 5" 1911 isn't going to fit better in those pants. And if I ever have to defend myself, I suspect it'll be inside Tueller distances; so ¾" more sight radius buys me nada.

So the same Mass. dealer that won't risk their license for the profit of selling an off-list gun, will gladly risk their license for a $25 service fee to E-file a transfer of the same off-list gun?

Doubtless some FFL out there will do it, but you'd think it'd be easier to find a private party in-state who wants to sell that off-list gun FTF.

There are plenty of ways... walter sobchak knows.

i have been really pleased w the Sig 1911. their commander models look nice too.

Smith & Wesson did have a highly polished 1911 from the Performance Center but I don't know if it's still offered. Also it was full size.

I really like the Magnum Research (Desert Eagle) 1911C I picked up not that long ago.... 8 round mag's are standard for it. Shoots real nice. 4.33" bull barrel is also real nice.

Back
Top Bottom