Locked door? Locked container? Locked WTF?!

The problem with this argument is that it empowers "creep" of restrictions.

To go along with your drinkng and drivng analogy: Not too long ago, .10 was the "legal limit" ....now it's .08. Why? Because if a little restriction is good, more is better. It's all for the public good. I'm sure you've seen the PSA-style commercials where the message is "Buzzed driving is drunk drivng". So....while it has not become "law" yet, the new "rule" is that .06, or .04, or whatever "buzzed" is, is now essentially the same as .09 or more. I"ll bet that within a few years, it will .05.

For many people, 2 beers in one hour will give one an "over the limit" BAC. For everyone, it's 3 (see this chart: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...blAUKntOaf40gHI3ICIDA&ved=0CDsQ9QEwBQ&dur=176 )

By your reasoning, this is an excellent plan. Because the potential of a drink driver is so great a threat that (currently) legal behavior should criminalized. So, the natural extention is that more restrictions are good.

If you not the topline on the chart....the only safe BAC is 0.00

The "just over the legal limit" is not the problem that caused the stop - it was the not stopping at the stop sign (as you say many do here in NE). So. The dangerous activity it what is engaged in by many - the stop sign violation. If he were over the limit, and stopped; waited three seconds and proceeded; there would be no issue, as he was not stopped for OUI, but for running the stop sign . Now, the fact that he's had a few may or may not have caused him to violate the law - but honestly, I see more people with cell phones doing it than drunks.

I occasionally use the cell in the car ( though I do try to limit it). Would you ban all cellhone use (as whether it's hands-free or not makes little difference in impairment) because of the potential for an accident? I've never had an accident caused by my cell-phone use - why should my essential liberties be constrainned by your perception of potential problems?

And, to delve into ancient history, this thread was about "proper" storage. Your version is "secured" in a certain way; you seem to think that your way is the only way. There is a continuum of risk.

This weekend I'll be at a place where there will be over 100 firearms, just standing around, in racks, with no locks. There will be people of all ages from 13 to 80 wandering about. Almost all of them will have ammo on their persons that will fit most of these guns. Is this an unsafe condition? I know that there will be at least one 13 yo (a child) because he's my kid; when he takes his gun to the line I will pay him no more attention than any other shooter (likely less, as I know his level of safety).

I anticipate no problems. But......is it possible that someone will take a gun without premission and use it? Yes.* Am I worried? No.

Would you be?

By the way, it's an ATA Trap shoot. I'm not worried about my guns being stolen, as there are much nicer ones left unattended - but those owners are not worried, either.

*Actually this happend to my son - an a-hole picked up his gun at a club we were vsiting, without permission, and took a few shots with it. My kid went out to say, "Excuse me....WTF?" (though politley, he's a gentleman) and the adult that took the gun said, "Is this your gun? You need to clean it," and walked off.

I agree with your assessment of the drinking/driving situation. Fortunately for me, I pretty much don't drink/drive at all anymore. What I was saying is that is how people are feeling about people drinking and driving, they think it is not something people NEED to do, and the deaths that result are needless. Other people feel that they MUST drink at a party, and then drive home. I am from Wisconsin, wanna make any guesses as to how I stand on having a few beers? But then there are those morons that have a few and then drive like lunatics.....

Cellphone Issue: You darn rootin tootin they should ban all cellphone use in a car, especially big butt trucks! Female drivers using a cell phone should get 2X the sentence in county jail. Female drivers under the age of 25 should get 3X the jail sentence! A FEDERAL law should be passed forcing automobile makers to put a device in cars that turns the cell phone off as soon as the ignition is turned on. Except my phone, I like my cell phone, I have hands free and rarely use it, never place a call, only answer incoming.

About the ATA event:

Nope, I would not be worried. I am a believer in the old saying "An armed society is a polite society." I would take a close look at the guns in the racks, I shoot a fairly pricey O&U, if there were other guns in the racks of similar value I would be comfortable, if there were a bunch of Montgomery Wards stuff in the racks, I think I would keep an eye on mine. Just because we all own guns doesn't mean some of us are not criminals.

About the guy that shot your son's gun: Truly an AHOLE! I shoot on Wednesday nights, most of us are happy to let someone shoot our guns if someone wants to try it out, all they need to do is ask. This usually happens when someone starts shopping for a new gun, nothing like being to actually try one before buying on a real range with real clays. After 25 birds, you got a good feel for the gun.

Your question:

My answer:

"A responsible adult" in general terms is not you specifically.

I did not realize you were just spouting off into the wind.

I did call you a sheep for buying into the Brady group "all guns are for killing" (and therefore we need special laws for them) bullshit, but you were the one who wrote it so I'll stand by that.

Well, let's see, I do not use my guns for picking my toenails, pounding nails, scraping paint, digging in the garden, smashing annoying flies.

[please wait while I dig through my gun magazines]

Ok, I am back. Here is what I learned: Nowhere do they recommend that you do anything other than put ammunition in a gun, aim it carefully and then pull the trigger. They did not tell me that I could use it to stir soup, aerate my garden with the bullets or anything like that. I did see pictures of guns aimed at deer, antelope and nasty looking aggressive men (I think the idea behind that was to shoot them?)

Oh, I saw a Swiss Army Knife ad too! They showed that I could use it as a knife, scissors, pliers, screwdriver, toothpick, all sorts of cool tools. I think if I could do more than shoot and kill stuff with a gun, those clever marketing people would be quick to point that out, no?

If YOU buy into any bologna that says guns are built for anything other than killing, DO NOT test that theory out by sticking a target gun up your butt, reciting "target guns are not built for killing" while squeezing the trigger. Oh, and that target gun does not work very well at pounding nails either.

I don't like the Brady Bunch either, but keep in mind, even an idiot says something intelligent every now and then.

Cellphone Issue: You darn rootin tootin they should ban all cellphone use in a car, especially big butt trucks! Female drivers using a cell phone should get 2X the sentence in county jail. Female drivers under the age of 25 should get 3X the jail sentence! A FEDERAL law should be passed forcing automobile makers to put a device in cars that turns the cell phone off as soon as the ignition is turned on. Except my phone, I like my cell phone, I have hands free and rarely use it, never place a call, only answer incoming.

Agreed, why should we trust anyone to use their own discretion and then be responsible for any and all outcomes?

"It's for the children!"

"There should be a law!"

"The constitution is a living document, that needs to be re-interpreted by the courts to reflect our modern society!"

[sad2]

I hope you enjoy your shooting, and please keep your politics in MA, as most of the states don't actually need a government to micro manage everyday behavior.

I used to think like you did, before I actually challenged myself on the actual nature of individual rights, and the monopoly of force that the government is. I came to the realization that if you don't violate the rights of the individual, society as a whole benefits. But if you use the monopoly of violence if the state to "protect" society from the individual, all of society actually loses.

Government is nothing more than a group of a few individuals that happen to have the guns. Government, just like the firearm, holds no mystical powers. One is nothing more than a tool, and the other is nothing more than a group of individuals that maintain a monopoly on the initiation of force.

Without government, we would all still be individually liable for our actions and natural laws or "common law" would still exist. We just wouldn't have a small group that steals and then tells us that "theft is wrong".

The idea of the state is so ingrained in our society that I liken it to the religious communes and their religion. No individual could even see beyond their own nose to challenge the legitimacy of it, as it was what they always knew, and they did not know what they didn't know.

But if they challenged EVERY last concept and "rule" down to first principles, they would find that 99% of it couldn't survive logic and a scientific analysis.

I'm sure folks see me as blasphemous, but I put no faith in a church made by man nor a government made by man. The only ruler I have is myself and my first principles, and that is also how I raise my children.

If we were to all do this, the world would be a much better and polite place, rules by intellectual honesty and not bad dogma or doctrine.

Please read through the many threads here and open yourself to the ideas that may challenge what you think you know so very well. You may find that you discover a whole new level of interaction with your neighbor than you ever knew.

ETA: Guns are force multiplier, nothing more. If I wish to use force against a deer or an assailant, I am limited by my physical ability to produce force. Now if I have a tool, such as a bow, or spear, sword, or a gun, my level of force is not as limited. This is a very efficient tool in achieving this work. But at no time does this tool have any more ability to kill, than the will of the user.

Last edited:
[
I agree with your assessment of the drinking/driving situation. Fortunately for me, I pretty much don't drink/drive at all anymore. What I was saying is that is how people are feeling about people drinking and driving, they think it is not something people NEED to do, and the deaths that result are needless. Other people feel that they MUST drink at a party, and then drive home. I am from Wisconsin, wanna make any guesses as to how I stand on having a few beers? But then there are those morons that have a few and then drive like lunatics.....

I'm glad that you no longer drink and drive. I have about 1 drink a month. That's not the issue. The issue is that some person or group (MADD, for instance) does an excellent job of pounding spoons on high chairs, and because person A made a bad personal decision, a large segment of the population is negatively impacted. "How" negatively impacted? By having to endure restrictions on their behavior that has been a) not an issue (If .10 was ok, why did it have to be lowered? and b) was not their screw-up. If there are morons that have a few beers and then drive like lunatics....pull their license on the first offense, permanently. Why is this not done? Because people see driving as a right, and a necessity. Though it's not a "right"....it's just more common thn firearms ownership, so it's harder to oppress.

I hope you're being facetious WRT the progressive penalties? And as for the "hands free" and "only answer incoming" - that's irrelevant - the "mindwith" used by any cell conversation is the same. The reason that non-hands-free cell use is illegal in some places, while hands-free is permitted is simply because the cop can see the phone in your hand. With the other situation, you may be on a call, singing along to a song, or conversinng with the Voices. If you're so against cell use (note your suggeston of a FRDERAL law)....why not have a breathalyzer interlock on all vehicles. Makes sense. And, lets; add a speed governor, and brakes that actuate when a sensor thinks you're too close. It woudl be a reasonable restriction.

About the ATA event:

Nope, I would not be worried. I am a believer in the old saying "An armed society is a polite society." I would take a close look at the guns in the racks, I shoot a fairly pricey O&U, if there were other guns in the racks of similar value I would be comfortable, if there were a bunch of Montgomery Wards stuff in the racks, I think I would keep an eye on mine. Just because we all own guns doesn't mean some of us are not criminals.

But...I thought that unless you were in direct control of it, it had to be "secured" lest a child (0-18) should encounter it? Can you please explain why it's ok in this venue (with essentially unlimited public access) and having the same shottie in a closet in your home is an issue (I'm talking about the risk to/from the children - protection from theft is a separate issue, and is NOT addressed or required under Mass Laws)?

About the guy that shot your son's gun: Truly an AHOLE! I shoot on Wednesday nights, most of us are happy to let someone shoot our guns if someone wants to try it out, all they need to do is ask. This usually happens when someone starts shopping for a new gun, nothing like being to actually try one before buying on a real range with real clays. After 25 birds, you got a good feel for the gun.

The reason that I put that in there was to show that your use of the term "Children (0-18)" is a not the real issue (though there are some that scream "It's for the children!" without irony). It's lack of respect for other's property. My son has fired more differet types of guns than many adults, from .17hmr to M-79 grenade launcher; from single-shot .410s to MP-5 in FA.; From $100 beater shotties to $8k+ trap guns. But never without permission.And the guy was not "shopping - the gun in question is a "Monkey Ward" (actually from Service Merchandise) old field-grade Winchester.

What I read is that you have strong opinions, and convictions, on a variety of issues. That's cool. Most of us do. Some of yours seem a bit self-contradictory ( e.g. the levels of "secure storage' in different venues), but that's often the case in a nuanced argument. What's NOT cool to at least a few here is that you seem to think that YOUR opinion carries more weight than others. You think that your firearm is stored in a prudent manner, and that others that do not make the same decisions are imprudent.

"Prudent" is a non-definable term. If I were to climb Mt. Everest, that would be imprudnet. I'd die. If Joe Mountaineer tries it, and dies, he may not be imprudent, even though he comes down as a climbersicle.

Unless and until there it established black letter law, there's no "right" answer, though there may be wrong ones - The guy in Lowell had a storage area more secure than what you describe, and was jammed up when he was robbed. Yes, I know that's not the current charge(s) he's faced with, but that was the reason his LTC was pulled.

You should continue to do what you belive to be right. Please let the other adults, here and elsewhere, do the same.

Last edited:
*snipped*

I used to think like you did, before I actually challenged myself on the actual nature of individual rights, and the monopoly of force that the government is. I came to the realization that if you don't violate the rights of the individual, society as a whole benefits. But if you use the monopoly of violence if the state to "protect" society from the individual, all of society actually loses.

The government does not have a "monopoly of force" as you suggest. We are or can be armed if we so choose. We do not have the military marching in our streets, no checkpoints.

You mention the "individual" several times in this passage. Individuals come in several varieties, good and bad. I would like to use the violence of the state to protect us from the bad "individuals". This is a case where society wins, not loses.

When do "individual" rights begin to interfere with the rights of another "individual"? Obviously the legislature in MA thinks it is when an "individual" fails to properly secure a gun he is not in control of. However, your "individual" right to defend yourself is not diminished by that law. It IS diminished by the RIDICULOUS wording of the law that gives PC's the power to determine the "suitableness" when granting a license and some other issues that need changing.

Government is nothing more than a group of a few individuals that happen to have the guns. Government, just like the firearm, holds no mystical powers. One is nothing more than a tool, and the other is nothing more than a group of individuals that maintain a monopoly on the initiation of force.

As I said before, the government is not the only one that has guns. The FBI estimate there are 200 million privately owned guns in the US. I think we have them outgunned. We certainly have them outnumbered. They definitely do not have a monopoly on the initation of force or we would not be allowed to defend ourselves no matter what. I agree that MA is a pain with the lack of a Castle Doctrine law on the books.

You also conveniently left out that "government" is the people that are ELECTED to office, not those who took office by force.

Without government, we would all still be individually liable for our actions and natural laws or "common law" would still exist. We just wouldn't have a small group that steals and then tells us that "theft is wrong".

And some people tend to be more "liable" for their actions that others, the ones that aren't we call criminals. As for "natural laws", do we all have our own set of "natural laws"? What if mine don't agree with yours? Example, I go to sleep at sundown, so NATURALLY, you need to turn your stereo off at sundown. Do I get to shoot you if you don't? Or is that defined by "common law" set down by what government? since you do not recognize any government made by man, as you state below?

"Without government" Hmmm, even American Indians had forms of government. Tribal leaders, councils, met with other tribes to make treaties, etc. You might be missing a strand in your DNA somewhere????

By "stealing" I am going to assume (which may be a mistake) that you mean taxes or other fees the government collects from individuals. If so, evidently you own a horse or walk everywhere. If you do and are not paying any taxes, then STAY OFF THE ROADS the rest of us paid for, since we paid for them as INDIVIDUALS, you have no INDIVIDUAL right to use them, FREELOADER. Or do you have some weird idea that you should only pay as much tax as you can afford ala the communist idea of "from each according to his ability to each according to his need."

The idea of the state is so ingrained in our society that I liken it to the religious communes and their religion. No individual could even see beyond their own nose to challenge the legitimacy of it, as it was what they always knew, and they did not know what they didn't know.

Yup, you are pretty much right about this, we have had governments since the earliest days of man, even before the Egyptians. I wonder why that it is? Could it be that we all get along better that way? The American Indians sure got along better with their form of government. The Aztecs and Mayans too, even the Anastazi and Pueblo. The Chinese had government 6000 years ago. I am thinking you are missing a whole gene, not just a strand of DNA.

But if they challenged EVERY last concept and "rule" down to first principles, they would find that 99% of it couldn't survive logic and a scientific analysis.

Not your logic anyhow, since your logic consists of "individual rights" and those rights are an individual being able to do whatever he wants as long as it harms no one else. Sort of like one of those communes in the 60's, which don't exist anymore, cause they didn't work either.

But here is the rub, I think one of my "rights" is to not have you walking across my property (go with this, cause in your world, there would be no property, cause there would be no government office to file my deed at, I would just have to declare it verbally or something), but since you feel that just walking across my property does me or my property no harm, you should be able to do it. But I still don't like it, cause I do not like you (I know you actually want to make eyes at my daughter). So, do I get to shoot you, or what? IT IS MY INDIVIDUAL RIGHT TO NOT HAVE YOU WALK ACROSS MY PROPERTY.

I'm sure folks see me as blasphemous, but I put no faith in a church made by man nor a government made by man. The only ruler I have is myself and my first principles, and that is also how I raise my children.

You should have been born in the 1800's, seriously, you would have been happy out there in the Rockies with Jim Bridger, trapping and hunting, living off the land, fighting indians who were annoyed that you were violating THEIR individual rights, who by the way had LAWS that controlled their societies, go figure.

My First Principles: 1st figure out what planet you are on, 2nd, figure out what country, 3rd get copy of rule book, 4th follow rules, 5th read rule book again if unhappy and figure out how to change rules without winding up in jail or executed.

If we were to all do this, the world would be a much better and polite place, rules by intellectual honesty and not bad dogma or doctrine.

I think I am going to break out in a chorus of Kumbaya any minute now, anyone want to join hands? Honestly, ALL of us never seem to want to do what is right.

Please read through the many threads here and open yourself to the ideas that may challenge what you think you know so very well. You may find that you discover a whole new level of interaction with your neighbor than you ever knew.

Please read a bit more history, and you will find that this government was formed the way it was for a lot of really good reasons.

ETA: Guns are force multiplier, nothing more. If I wish to use force against a deer or an assailant, I am limited by my physical ability to produce force. Now if I have a tool, such as a bow, or spear, sword, or a gun, my level of force is not as limited. This is a very efficient tool in achieving this work. But at no time does this tool have any more ability to kill, than the will of the user.
[/quote]

My comments:

It never ceases to amaze me! Someone comes along, gets annoyed because at this moment in time a few of their rights are being trampled on a bit (prohibition did a lot of trampling for 13 years, but it finally got fixed, yes, our system actually works) but they whine, cry, claim the government is worthless, ad nauseam. But the fact is, if you compared their brain power to that of Jefferson/ Franklin/Madison/Washington or Adams, it would be similar to a BB rolling down an 8 line highway.

We have a system of government that allows it to get messed up, but then it can be corrected.

We have some very powerful tools at our disposal, the first one is the 1st ammendment. Any of these malcontents been putting it to good use?

The government does not have a "monopoly of force" as you suggest. We are or can be armed if we so choose. We do not have the military marching in our streets, no checkpoints.

You mention the "individual" several times in this passage. Individuals come in several varieties, good and bad. I would like to use the violence of the state to protect us from the bad "individuals". This is a case where society wins, not loses.

When do "individual" rights begin to interfere with the rights of another "individual"? Obviously the legislature in MA thinks it is when an "individual" fails to properly secure a gun he is not in control of. However, your "individual" right to defend yourself is not diminished by that law. It IS diminished by the RIDICULOUS wording of the law that gives PC's the power to determine the "suitableness" when granting a license and some other issues that need changing.

As I said before, the government is not the only one that has guns. The FBI estimate there are 200 million privately owned guns in the US. I think we have them outgunned. We certainly have them outnumbered. They definitely do not have a monopoly on the initation of force or we would not be allowed to defend ourselves no matter what. I agree that MA is a pain with the lack of a Castle Doctrine law on the books.

You also conveniently left out that "government" is the people that are ELECTED to office, not those who took office by force.

And some people tend to be more "liable" for their actions that others, the ones that aren't we call criminals. As for "natural laws", do we all have our own set of "natural laws"? What if mine don't agree with yours? Example, I go to sleep at sundown, so NATURALLY, you need to turn your stereo off at sundown. Do I get to shoot you if you don't? Or is that defined by "common law" set down by what government? since you do not recognize any government made by man, as you state below?

"Without government" Hmmm, even American Indians had forms of government. Tribal leaders, councils, met with other tribes to make treaties, etc. You might be missing a strand in your DNA somewhere????

By "stealing" I am going to assume (which may be a mistake) that you mean taxes or other fees the government collects from individuals. If so, evidently you own a horse or walk everywhere. If you do and are not paying any taxes, then STAY OFF THE ROADS the rest of us paid for, since we paid for them as INDIVIDUALS, you have no INDIVIDUAL right to use them, FREELOADER. Or do you have some weird idea that you should only pay as much tax as you can afford ala the communist idea of "from each according to his ability to each according to his need."

Yup, you are pretty much right about this, we have had governments since the earliest days of man, even before the Egyptians. I wonder why that it is? Could it be that we all get along better that way? The American Indians sure got along better with their form of government. The Aztecs and Mayans too, even the Anastazi and Pueblo. The Chinese had government 6000 years ago. I am thinking you are missing a whole gene, not just a strand of DNA.

Not your logic anyhow, since your logic consists of "individual rights" and those rights are an individual being able to do whatever he wants as long as it harms no one else. Sort of like one of those communes in the 60's, which don't exist anymore, cause they didn't work either.

But here is the rub, I think one of my "rights" is to not have you walking across my property (go with this, cause in your world, there would be no property, cause there would be no government office to file my deed at, I would just have to declare it verbally or something), but since you feel that just walking across my property does me or my property no harm, you should be able to do it. But I still don't like it, cause I do not like you (I know you actually want to make eyes at my daughter). So, do I get to shoot you, or what? IT IS MY INDIVIDUAL RIGHT TO NOT HAVE YOU WALK ACROSS MY PROPERTY.

You should have been born in the 1800's, seriously, you would have been happy out there in the Rockies with Jim Bridger, trapping and hunting, living off the land, fighting indians who were annoyed that you were violating THEIR individual rights, who by the way had LAWS that controlled their societies, go figure.

My First Principles: 1st figure out what planet you are on, 2nd, figure out what country, 3rd get copy of rule book, 4th follow rules, 5th read rule book again if unhappy and figure out how to change rules without winding up in jail or executed.

I think I am going to break out in a chorus of Kumbaya any minute now, anyone want to join hands? Honestly, ALL of us never seem to want to do what is right.

Please read a bit more history, and you will find that this government was formed the way it was for a lot of really good reasons.

My comments:

It never ceases to amaze me! Someone comes along, gets annoyed because at this moment in time a few of their rights are being trampled on a bit (prohibition did a lot of trampling for 13 years, but it finally got fixed, yes, our system actually works) but they whine, cry, claim the government is worthless, ad nauseam. But the fact is, if you compared their brain power to that of Jefferson/ Franklin/Madison/Washington or Adams, it would be similar to a BB rolling down an 8 line highway.

We have a system of government that allows it to get messed up, but then it can be corrected.

We have some very powerful tools at our disposal, the first one is the 1st ammendment. Any of these malcontents been putting it to good use?

I guess many people need to have masters, and maybe as you suggest, I have evolved beyond that need.

I don't know.

Tell you what, you keep away from my rights and my property (including my body and my labor) and I will show you the same respect.

Most of what you just wrote is ad-hom hogwash, with some wild leaps and assumptions.. So at this point i just submit that you are a lost cause. Please elect your most benevolent master, and I hope he lets you keep some of your property and individual rights.

[

What I read is that you have strong opinions, and convictions, on a variety of issues. That's cool. Most of us do. Some of yours seem a bit self-contradictory ( e.g. the levels of "secure storage' in different venues), but that's often the case in a nuanced argument.
Interesting observation. As I read below, I was trying to imagine myself going to trap shoot and locking my gun up in a case between rounds and watching the other guys look at me as if I had lost my mind.

What's NOT cool to at least a few here is that you seem to think that YOUR opinion carries more weight than others. You think that your firearm is stored in a prudent manner, and that others that do not make the same decisions are imprudent.

Well, it seems to me that the "others" on here have a few foibles themselves, which range from strong personalities like myself, all the way to downright anarchy, with sidetrips to adolescent name calling, failure to read the printed word and a lack of a sense humor. Then there are the others, like yourself, who engage in meaningful conversation and those of us so inclined, end up learning something.

"Prudent" is a non-definable term. If I were to climb Mt. Everest, that would be imprudnet. I'd die. If Joe Mountaineer tries it, and dies, he may not be imprudent, even though he comes down as a climbersicle.
prudent [ˈpruːd[SUP]ə[/SUP]nt]adj1. discreet or cautious in managing one's activities;
circumspect
2. practical and careful in providing for the
future
3. exercising good judgment or common sense[from Latin prūdēns far-sighted, contraction of
prōvidens acting with foresight; see provident

Not to be a pain, but prudent is definable, I like #3. It also may explain why "secure storage" may differ depending on locale.

Unless and until there it established black letter law, there's no "right" answer, though there may be wrong ones - The guy in Lowell had a storage area more secure than what you describe, and was jammed up when he was robbed. Yes, I know that's not the current charge(s) he's faced with, but that was the reason his LTC was pulled.

You should continue to do what you belive to be right. Please let the other adults, here and elsewhere, do the same.

You hit the nail smack dab on the head with the "black letter law" statement. THAT is what I have been trying to get across from my first post in this thread. This example was terrible case law. IMHO the example is horrible (others posted the same thought), so this is no revelation on my part. Where the argument seems to start is that I do not have much patience for two types, the first being "We will never fix, so why try" and the second being the "We are going to have to go to war with the government rather than work to fix this through legislative and electoral means". This second type looks at any incident (such as this one) with a critical eye and immediately finds fault with any action whatsoever on the part of the police/government to further their own agenda of anarchy. They like the sound of tearing down a government, I wonder if they really understand would it would mean to live through it?

This government is not perfect, that is because We the People ARE the government, I am tired of hearing THEY are doing this to us, THEY did that...ad nauseam. True, someday it may come to pass that the people might have to take up arms, but that day is a long way off, we have not even started using the means at our disposal to correct what is wrong with the laws in this state. Those who preach violence have no idea what they are preaching and hoping for. That is truly a last resort, it is not something anyone would want to see their children go through. Any Vietnam, Iraq or Afghan, et al Vet has seen countries that are torn apart. I doubt very many of them would want to see it here.

Definitely being facetious about the cell phone usage. Couldn't control my fingers, they just went off all by themselves.

As to your question about why I think it is ok to have a bunch of guns "unsecured" at an event like the ATA or any other trap shooting event for that matter. Had to do some thinking about that, the question really caught me off guard, which means it is a good question. All I can say is that there are a lot of adults present, the vast majority of them are very familiar with the handling of weapons, my experience around these events is that they do keep a close eye on the kids. But is it contradictory? Yup. I guess it is like saying "If you go to a race and you sit in the infield, you might want to think about the possibility that you could get hit by a car."

I guess many people need to have masters, and maybe as you suggest, I have evolved beyond that need.

I don't know.

Tell you what, you keep away from my rights and my property (including my body and my labor) and I will show you the same respect.

Most of what you just wrote is ad-hom hogwash, with some wild leaps and assumptions.. So at this point i just submit that you are a lost cause. Please elect your most benevolent master, and I hope he lets you keep some of your property and individual rights.

I am not going to touch your "I don't know" remark, it would be too easy.

Do all the "evolving" you like, you are still governed by the town, county, state and country you live in. The overwhelming majority of voters know you need it. What you want to avoid is an incident like Ruby Ridge.

We will be happy to leave you alone as long as you do not go all crazy with your idea of "individual rights" and "first principles" with the rest of us, because you live in OUR society, not YOURS.

I will try to elect suitable representatives that will keep your best interests and mine at the forefront of his/her efforts. (we don't elect Masters in this country, if we did, you would have been high on the Gulag List). We actually could use your vote to help fix the messy gun laws in this state, instead of burying your head in the sand along with your guns (in case of the BIG REBELLION).

I will try to elect suitable representatives that will keep your best interests and mine at the forefront of his/her efforts. (we don't elect Masters in this country, if we did, you would have been high on the Gulag List). We actually could use your vote to help fix the messy gun laws in this state, instead of burying your head in the sand along with your guns (in case of the BIG REBELLION).

In what way? Are you a member of GOAL? Have you donated to Comm2A? Have you gone on the stump for local or state pol that supports 2A or other appropriate causes?

Not trying to be a PITA, but you did bring it up.

Many of the posters have a history, here, or a "CV" of sorts in their sig lnes. What's yours?

Oh, as for fixing the messy gun laws.....we're outnumbered by Antis and apathetic Nons. Do you have a plan that we can get behind?

Thought I'd posted this, before: I know that there's a dictionary definition....my point is that it's not an acceptable "standard". If a person is transporting an AR15 in a locked hard-sided case, and the case is stolen, leaving said AR in the wrong hands, would you consider that to be "prudent"? It's in accordance with the law. Is that enough, in your estimation to meet the standard of common sesne?

Last edited:
You might be surprised. You may not face criminal charges, but some of those things that you mention, if you are careless with them and they result in the injury of a child could cause you to wind up in courtroom in a civil case.

People think guns are different for good reason, they are built for exactly one purpose: to kill.

gasoline is not made to kill
circular saws are not made to kill
kitchen knives are not made to kill
bleach is not made to kill

They all CAN kill, but it is not their specific purpose.

Are you really that stupid?

I wonder what your MOS was in Vietnam............[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

Last edited:
No military marching in the streets? I'm going to assume you missed that tank at Waco or the APCs being doled out like candy along with drones and FA M4s. Who needs the military when the police show up with the same weapons and vehicles?

If you think we aren't already outgunned and that an actual rebellion would not be met with cries of terrorism every single tool the military has at its desposal you are really living in some sort of fantasy world.

Socialists can join the army too, and they arent going to desert their posts. Their going to follow orders and fire on command.

Are you really that stupid?

No, are you?

I wonder what your MOS was in Vietnam............[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

I don't care what yours was, that was over 40 years ago and it is irrelevant to this discussion. So I don't wonder.

Or as a friend of mine used to say "You can wonder, wonder, wonder, till the crows build a nest in your butt, then you will wonder how the sticks got there." So keep on wondering and check for sticks in your butt from time to time.

Last edited:
No military marching in the streets? I'm going to assume you missed that tank at Waco or the APCs being doled out like candy along with drones and FA M4s. Who needs the military when the police show up with the same weapons and vehicles?
Holy C#$%!!!!! The Waco thing happened in 1993, I think the tank has left by now? That was almost 20 years ago and you are STILL talking about it and it is the BEST example you can find of (1) tank being used? That is PATHETIC.

The police show up with the same weapons as the military? Were you ever in the military? The police may have SOME of the weapons the military has, been I can tell you absolutely that civilian police do not have anywhere near the type of weaponry that the military have at their disposal. Seen any police departments with chain guns lately?

If you think we aren't already outgunned and that an actual rebellion would not be met with cries of terrorism every single tool the military has at its desposal you are really living in some sort of fantasy world.

Socialists can join the army too, and they arent going to desert their posts. Their going to follow orders and fire on command.

Ohhh boy, the socialists have now infiltrated the military and they are going to shoot the civilian population. I sincerely hope that this forum is the ONLY place you voice these opinions.

I think I am going to take someone else's advice and ignore you from now on......you are a bit too far over the edge.

Last edited:
This is all getting pretty hilarious. There are several responders who haven't bothered to stop and think this thread through. All they can see is someone's RIGHTS being violated. But they have not looked at the person they are defending very closely.

Stephen PARZICK is someone who could not get a FID. Most of us are pretty swift about these things and know that is a SHALL issue in this state. His application was denied, not just lost or misplaced. If you look at the reasons for denial, most of them are pretty serious:

has ever been convicted of a violent crime or a violation of any drug law; within the last five years has been convicted of, or released from confinement, probation or parole for: a felony, adjudicated a youthful offender, a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than two years (includes OUI after July 1994), or a violation of any gun law for which a sentence could be imposed;
has been confined to any hospital or institution for mental illness, or under treatment or confinement for drug addiction or habitual drunkenness, unless you submit an affidavit from a physician;
is the subject of an outstanding arrest warrant in any state or federal jurisdiction;
is an alien;
is under the age of 15 (or between 15 and 18 without written parental consent);
is not a resident of the Commonwealth; or
is the subject of a restraining order

He knew he had to have a FID, because he applied for one, so that means he knew about the laws of this state. We also know claiming that you don't know about the laws is not an excuse and never works. "Gee officer, I did not know the speed limit was 35." Then when the SHTF, Parzick did not call in the theft, the boy's mother did. I would lay dollars to donuts he did that to keep his name out of it because he KNEW something was wrong with his having guns and no FID card. How you betting when the police showed up and explained to boys Mom that if the guns belonged to HER, she had better have a FID, she quickly pointed to ol' Parzick?

All the rest of this is a dance Parzick did to try to convince the court that he really did lock up his guns when in fact, all he used was a bobby pin lock on a bedroom door. And IN FACT, a 17 year old DID steal them, and FACT, until the police showed up and turned the screws down a bit, the guns stayed missing.

But, some folks here view this as someone having their RIGHTS trampled all to pieces. BS, I would LOVE to know why this guy could not get a FID??? Had he been convicted of a felony? Was he under a restraining order? What was his deal anyhow? Having your rights trampled is when that 17 year old and his pals stick one of those guns in your face cause old stupid Parzick was a clown.

I am done arguing with anyone about how this is an example of a Nazi state trampling on poor ol' Parzick's natural God given right to own guns and keep them locked up in a bedroom that can be opened with a bobby pin (ya right) so a 17 year old boy can steal them. Of course the 17 y.o. is an exemplary model of modern youth having stolen the guns and only wanted them for his further study of firearms history in his advanced courses.

When you own guns, you have a responsibility to do your best to safeguard them.

Last edited:
troll-1.jpg

Maybe this will help you out xtry. Take someone who thinks like you, stops at the local bar, has a few, then gets behind the wheel and heads home. He is NOT blasted out of his mind, but then he is not exactly at peak performance either (just over the "legal limit"). Like a lot of folks do here in the NE, he does not stop completely at the corner stop sign. Cop stops him and smells the beer. It is DUI time. 1st or 2nd time here in MA is a misdemeanor, but after that it is a felony. This is guys 3rd time.

Now think about it, he has never hurt anyone with his drinking and driving. But he is about to become a felon. No more guns, no more LTC (he wasn't carrying btw, so no problem there). Why does the state want to do that? Turn him into a felon?

Cause most people are tired of drunk drivers injurying and killing other people with their stupidity! Why do the rest of the people have to wait for someone to hurt or kill someone else before something can be done about?

The trick here is to understand that "doing what you please" often has the potential to wreck someone else's right to "Tranquility" which the Founders also wrote about wanting us all to have. So, the middle ground is for us to have our guns, handle them responsibly, so we can all have our Tranquility and Benefits of Liberty too.

There are some responsibilities that go with all these rights and liberties. People are real fast to point out the Bill of Rights in the Constitution, they are real slow to talk about the actual Constitution which provides for the three branches of our government, which includes the Courts and Congress. The Bill of Rights is HUGE deal because it is supposed to protect us from the rest of the government and allow for adjustments to be made as needed. Sometimes they don't work, like Prohibition.

Just so you know a first offense OUI in Mass. carries a penalty of up to 2.5 years in jail which makes someone convicted of a first offense OUI a prohibited person. This makes your argument rather pointless (again).
You're welcome.

Just so you know a first offense OUI in Mass. carries a penalty of up to 2.5 years in jail which makes someone convicted of a first offense OUI a prohibited person. This makes your argument rather pointless (again).
You're welcome.

No, the point is still valid, people are tired of morons doing STUPID things that wind up injuring or killing someone, whether or not it is a first or third time. Drinking, then driving drunk is just plain STUPID. The vast majority of people have figured it out. Lots of people who live in states without the laws this state has, have also figured out it is a good idea to lock their guns up for all sorts of good reasons. Keep them out of the hands of kids. Possibly keep them out of the hands of criminals. (if the safe is good enough)

Why aren't you arguing that the government is violating your right to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" by not letting you get as drunk as you feel like and drive? Then, only AFTER you kill someone, should you be held responsible. You would sound like a fool.

Why aren't you arguing that the government is violating your right to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" by not letting you get as drunk as you feel like and drive?

Go right ahead, as long as you own the roads that you're driving on. If you want to build track on your land and drive drunk on it that's your business. If I want to store a gun without a trigger lock on it on my land that's my business.

Go right ahead, as long as you own the roads that you're driving on. If you want to build track on your land and drive drunk on it that's your business. If I want to store a gun without a trigger lock on it on my land that's my business.

Right, and if you want to store an M2 machine gun, a box of grenades, crates of dynamite, flame throwers, a mortar or two, etc; as long as it is on YOUR land, that is YOUR business and no one else's. It is all about YOUR rights. Even if your vast acreage consists of a 60 X 80 lot right in town. You, by God, NEED that mortar and dynamite, you have a RIGHT to bear arms, no matter WHAT! NO ONE has any business telling you what you can or cannot do on your sacred, holy property. Nevermind you could blow your neighborhood to kingdom come, they have no rights to speak of when compared to yours. Nevermind that someone else might haul off your box of grenades to do some evil crap with them, huh?

But I would agree, if you want to build a road on your land and go drunk driving on it, have a ball.

Posession of mass quantities of explosives is now equivalent to a .08 BAC?

Really?
[rolleyes]
The problem with your system, is that it's "pre-crime". If the potential for harm exists, then all posessing that potential are equally likely pre-guilty.

Since one of your litmus tests for societal wickedness is OUI....where is YOUR cutoff for irresponsible mixing of alcohol and gasoline?

Oh.....and since you believe that one's posessions are one's responsibility even if they are used without permission, and during trespass....you should not be in favor of drunk driving on one's own property, as there might be a trespasser walking about, and they might get hit.

Last edited:
No, the point is still valid, people are tired of morons doing STUPID things that wind up injuring or killing someone, whether or not it is a first or third time. Drinking, then driving drunk is just plain STUPID. The vast majority of people have figured it out. Lots of people who live in states without the laws this state has, have also figured out it is a good idea to lock their guns up for all sorts of good reasons. Keep them out of the hands of kids. Possibly keep them out of the hands of criminals. (if the safe is good enough)

Why aren't you arguing that the government is violating your right to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" by not letting you get as drunk as you feel like and drive? Then, only AFTER you kill someone, should you be held responsible. You would sound like a fool.

That's exactly what I am arguing for. I'm not a big fan of precrime or making what you view as dangerous or stupid law for everyone else to follow.

I love this thread because the more you post the more you take away all doubt what an embicile you are.

MisterHappy: My point is that legislatures are established by "We the people" to make the decision as to what is acceptable behavior and what is not, the results are laws. Your earlier point about having "slippery slopes" is certainly valid. Sometimes I think the slopes here in Mass have been flat out greased. However, to think the way Xtry51 does, that there should be no licensing of drivers, no limit to how much alchohol one can consume and then operate a vehicle on a PUBLIC way, etc is having the slopes greased on the opposite slope.

Xtry51 likes the sound of the word "precrime". If he points a loaded gun at me, do I have to wait for him to pull the trigger before I shoot back to prevent him from shooting me? It is the same with drinking and driving, does society have to wait for someone to get stupid drunk and kill someone BEFORE taking preventative measures?

That's exactly what I am arguing for. I'm not a big fan of precrime or making what you view as dangerous or stupid law for everyone else to follow.

I love this thread because the more you post the more you take away all doubt what an embicile you are.

Ah well, now I know you sat in the corner chewing the covers off your books when you were in school.

It is IMBECILE. If you are going to insult someone, at the very least spell it right.

BTW, a indication that you are losing an argument is when you have to resort to insults.

im·be·cile

   /ˈɪmbəsɪl, -səl or, especially Brit., -ˌsil/ Show Spelled[im-buh-sil, -suhl or, especially Brit., -seel] Show IPA
noun 1. Informal . a dunce; blockhead; dolt.

2. Psychology . (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of the second order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, above the level of idiocy, having a mental age of seven or eight years and an intelligence quotient of 25 to 50

MisterHappy: My point is that legislatures are established by "We the people" to make the decision as to what is acceptable behavior and what is not, the results are laws. Your earlier point about having "slippery slopes" is certainly valid. Sometimes I think the slopes here in Mass have been flat out greased. However, to think the way Xtry51 does, that there should be no licensing of drivers, no limit to how much alchohol one can consume and then operate a vehicle on a PUBLIC way, etc is having the slopes greased on the opposite slope.

Xtry51 likes the sound of the word "precrime". If he points a loaded gun at me, do I have to wait for him to pull the trigger before I shoot back to prevent him from shooting me? It is the same with drinking and driving, does society have to wait for someone to get stupid drunk and kill someone BEFORE taking preventative measures?

To your first point: Many laws are stupid; they were written by persons ill-suited to write them. The new Concord Water Bottle Prohibition; the arbitrary cutoff date for magazines >10 rounds; the need for an LTC-A to posess an empty fabric belt for MG ammo.

You think that drivers should be licensed - should gun owners be, too? I have a bartender's license ( really) - should a person who wants a drink be required to take an Alcohol Consumers' Course to learn about responsible use of alcohol? Makes sense to me, in context. And, I'd say that the majority of people that get behind the wheel have no concrete clue as to the BAC that they have, after leaving a cookout. Since OUI is a bad thing, should all vehicles be required to have a breathalyzer interlock, just in case?

To your second point - I think that I used "precrime" first in this thread - Your "pointing a gun" at you is not the same as "drinking and drivinng".

Here's why: OUI has a legal definition; 0.08% BAC. Poinitng a gun at another person is (at minimum) assault with a deadly weapon. Each of these things are clearly defined.

Drinking and driving encompasses everything from 0.01 to 0.07% BAC. "Stupid drunk" is not a legal definition. By your loose definition, all drinking and driving is bad ( I asked you before for a concrete limit on BAC....you did not provide one); to complete your analogy, all carrying of firearms is bad, because just as carrying booze in your system makes you a potential danger, so does the presence of a firearm.

It's your unhappiness with the potential, as opposed to realized, danger that is at issue, here.

You're against storage of greandes and dynamite....are you also against the storage of black powder, smokeless powder and primers? How about ammo? Do you have set limits for each?

Ah well, now I know you sat in the corner chewing the covers off your books when you were in school.

It is IMBECILE. If you are going to insult someone, at the very least spell it right.

BTW, a indication that you are losing an argument is when you have to resort to insults.

im·be·cile

   /ˈɪmbəsɪl, -səl or, especially Brit., -ˌsil/ Show Spelled[im-buh-sil, -suhl or, especially Brit., -seel] Show IPA
noun 1. Informal . a dunce; blockhead; dolt.

2. Psychology . (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of the second order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, above the level of idiocy, having a mental age of seven or eight years and an intelligence quotient of 25 to 50

It's called sarcasm, not a spelling error, as in the way most people pronounce it rather than the way it's spelled. But thanks anyway. I'm moar than awair whut that kewl lital red squigally lien is when i mistipe a werd.

Last edited:

Not the same at all. Do you think drunk drivers get into cars with the intent of killing someone? Also how many people do you think drive drunk and make it home safe every day? I think you have some weird fantasy that all drunk drivers cause accidents that result in deaths. If you look at actual data on accidents and death rates you'll find far more people are killed by sober drivers every year than drunk ones.

You can still kill someone with a car while not being drunk. Ever seen a person learning how to drive weave around in their lane? Should that person be arrested?

Back
Top Bottom