• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WTF - GOAL's Links with info for LTC Application all Broken

A buddy of mine has decided to finally get his LTC. I discussed it with him and thought I would find a web page to send him so he could read up on what to do. Naturally, I thought of GOAL, so I went here:

GOAL - MA License Info

...and all of the links to content return a 404 error. Imagine my surprise that the GOAL site was worthless. :rolleyes:

Can anyone point me to something that will be informative to someone getting their first permit?

link works for me.

Yes, sorry I didn't explain it well. That page does work, but that page is simply a collection of links to other pages that contain the actual info. None of the links to the actual info work.

Example:

This would be something one might want to read, but it and all the rest that I tried go to 404. Are you getting different results?

GOAL's info is worthwhile, but your friend should go to the issuing department's website. Each town has its own "standards" or requirements.

It may be worthwhile, if it were accessible. I was going to suggest he join GOAL, but not now. I will pass along the info about checking his town's PD web site.

It may be worthwhile, if it were accessible. I was going to suggest he join GOAL, but not now. I will pass along the info about checking his town's PD web site.
So GOAL launches their new website 12 days ago, and you won't suggest someone join because there are some broken links on their 12 day old website.

Did you bother contacting goal to let them know?

link works for me.
You're easy to please:
MA License InfoInformation About MA FID or LTC
"InfoInformation" is the best kind of data in town.

On the evening of the Thursday before Halloween,
I noticed that GOAL was apparently in the middle of "improving" their web site.
This appears to be the project plan:
  1. Delete everything useful.
  2. ??? <===== You Are Here.
  3. Profit.
(I'm sure this whinge is a kick in the teeth
to some unrewarded volunteer,
who is tearing their hair out over it,
and hasn't had a free evening for months.
[angry]
Jus' sayin').

In the meantime, nearly the last working copy
of the GOAL Massachusetts Firearms Law Reference
(the table indexing many Mass laws by topic)
is archived on the Wayback Machine.

Not that that answers the OP's question.
But it was the most useful page for me on the old site.

Maybe the OP can get what he wants from this page.
Hopefully it's up to date. (But @MisterHappy is right that
one is better off looking at one's own town's process).

Looking on the bright side of things,
there at least used to be some corner of Mass. law
where @Len-2A Training had a fundamentally different interpretation
than GOAL's official advice.

As long as the web site's a mess,
maybe that means they don't currently disagree with Len
(because their bone of contention is offline).
[rofl]

Reminds me of my (autographed) WTKK T-Shirt: "Jay Severin Agrees With Me".
=====

ETA:
So GOAL launches their new website 12 days ago, ...
Well, that explains some things...

This just in! GOAL is aware of the broken links and is working to resolve the issue. The new website and database is being updated as we speak. Thank you for patience. [banana]

So GOAL launches their new website 12 days ago, and you won't suggest someone join because there are some broken links on their 12 day old website.

Did you bother contacting goal to let them know?

Hey, I don't care when they last updated their website. It's not rocket science; I used to do all kinds of web site updates as part of my job. They should have QA'd every link in a test environment before going live, but TWELVE DAYS and this much shit is still broken? That's insane.

This just in! GOAL is aware of the broken links and is working to resolve the issue. The new website and database is being updated as we speak. Thank you for patience. [banana]
Sorry about that.
chatter_teeth_md_wm.gif

I didn't think you guys didn't know about the glitches.
But now you know people rely on the site.

Hey, I don't care when they last updated their website. It's not rocket science; I used to do all kinds of web site updates as part of my job. They should have QA'd every link in a test environment before going live, but TWELVE DAYS and this much shit is still broken? That's insane.
(Just speculating, but) I won't be surprised to learn in retrospect that
they had to change technology mid-stream
in order to provide some fundamental new service on the site.

Imagine (say) working on Walmart's web site,
and being told "in order to support per-zip code sales taxes,
that new shopping cart module we bought requires that
we have to move all our content to a new server engine,
and the legal deadline means we have to go live with
new tax support even if the new site's product catalog is empty".

Or not.

Back
Top Bottom