lockable Container

I bought school foot lockers for my ammo storage. The locks are cheap but they have hasps on them for a padlock. No kids or grandkids to worry about.

This is one of the containers I use. Inexpensive and you can roll it around if needed. You will need multiple locks or run some cable through on both sides, then lock.
https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Sports...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00HVCPT4W

Bought that and a 4 pk of little Master locks, all on the same key. Works great; holds a ton and the 4 point locks really do hold the lid closed, the only add on I recommend is the rubber lid gasket to control moisture (threw in a bunch of the 50 gm desiccant pks)

im looking to lock up some ammo and don't want to put it all in the safes I have now as I'm getting full. I have a child so it must be locked up secure, Like a JobBox but smaller. something like 2x2x4 feet, maybe not as tall.i know there are a lot of things out there but just looking for Ideas on what you guy's are using?

You're able to fit ALL of your ammo into a 2x2x4 box?!

You're kidding, right?

These M10 trailers are pretty good for day-to-day storage needs:

M10-Ammunition-Trailer-2.jpg

Your goal should be purely legal compliance. Nothing more. Ammunition, absent a firearm is no more dangerous to a child than a marble. Once the kids know not to put things in their mouths. (~4 years old), it is purely legal compliance.

In CT, I didn't lock up ammo as a strict rule.

In MA, I used large Plano boxes locked with an inexpensive padlock. They were also in a locked room. But I didn't consider that part of the legal "locked" aspect, although I now know that the room itself qualifies as a "locked container".

One thing I considered using in MA was an old computer 42U (about 6' tall) rack with locking mesh doors on both sides. This locks up the ammo and also leaves it "uncontained" so a fire doesn't turn into an explosion.

These can be had pretty cheaply on Craigslist. They are also designed to hold thousands of pounds

This is what I'm talking about, although you can get them for much less money if you keep your eyes open.

APC 42U Network Server Racks - $900

Last edited:
I had a seldom used closet in my house. I removed the door knob and replaced it with a deadbolt. Fit perfect, had to do zero drilling. The deadbolt lined up perfectly with the latch plate from the old door knob. I don’t know how you would do it but if somehow you got locked in the closet all you do is flip the lever and walk out because the key is on the outside and the lever is on the inside. So no danger on locking somebody in. You can stack up as much ammo as you want in a closet. I stack my 50 Cal ammo cans on the floor. You can stack them as high as you want. Ammo storage completely solved never had a problem since . You could put shelves in the closet. You can stack it on the floor. Do anything you want.

Your goal should be purely legal compliance. Nothing more. Ammunition, absent a firearm is no more dangerous to a child than a marble. Once the kids know not to put things in their mouths. (~4 years old), it is purely legal compliance.
The yout from the (non-NES(?)) family at the rifle range yesterday at
@Radtekk's "Bring your "Cowboy guns" TODAY 7/28" function kept idly flicking
the follower loading assist button on the empty, non-installed (15-22?) magazine.

I considered commenting that he should never do that with
2+ rounds of .22LR loaded in the magazine.
My bad.

(ETA: The S&W 15-22 manual merely states...
... Hold the follower down only far enough to load one round at a time to maintain cartridge alignment. ...​
...with no further explanation of why that might be important.
Maybe going thwackata thwackata with the button on a half-loaded mag
isn't dangerous. I reserve judgment).

I also didn't tell him not to smack a round of .22LR between two bricks.
But there was no sign he was contemplating that,
and that is an idea I didn't need to plant in his brain.

One thing I considered using in MA was an old computer 42U (about 6' tall) rack with locking mesh doors on both sides. This locks up the ammo and also leaves it "uncontained" so a fire doesn't turn into an explosion.
I once had that concern, but Olde Intarweb Wisdom says
that only matters for black powder.

Last edited:
AHM, a couple of years ago I offered $100 to anyone who could find an example of a child seriously injured by ammunition.

The best anyone could come up with was some kids who threw .22s into a camp fire and were hit by a couple of bits of stray brass.

Re explosion. I'm not buying it. modern smokeless powders contain both fuel and oxidizer and need high pressures to burn fast. Remove the ability to generate much pressure and you have nothing more than burning. Of course, applying my same "$100 to anyone who can find a case of" type method. I'm guessing I couldn't find a single case of a safe exploding. ha.

AHM, a couple of years ago I offered $100 to anyone who could find an example of a child seriously injured by ammunition.

The best anyone could come up with was some kids who threw .22s into a camp fire and were hit by a couple of bits of stray brass.

Re explosion. I'm not buying it. modern smokeless powders contain both fuel and oxidizer and need high pressures to burn fast. Remove the ability to generate much pressure and you have nothing more than burning. Of course, applying my same "$100 to anyone who can find a case of" type method. I'm guessing I couldn't find a single case of a safe exploding. ha.

I know of exactly one injury from ammunition.

Someone tossed a handful of dud .22lr into a fire.

They obviously cooked off.

One of the pieces of extremely hot brass hit a friend on the sclera of his eye, burning it pretty well. He didn't lose the eye, but it was a near thing.

Back
Top Bottom