Ideas for Dud Ammo Container at Range?

Mountain

NES Member
One of the clubs where I am a member had an old Jerry can mounted to a post for disposing of duds. It's now missing, so I'd like to propose something to replace it.

I'm willing to bet there are some good solutions at some of the local clubs. Any ideas much appreciated. I'd like to have something mounted or at least locked so that it doesn't walk. Should be sturdy and corrosion resistant, with a lid that doesn't seal tightly.

Maybe another Jerry can would work- though I'd either make a lid that won't seal tightly or just machine off the threads on the lid that comes with it.

Thanks!

Empty propane can. Purged at a fill station. Cut a small hole near the top for dropping them in......cut a "door" on the bottom and weld hinges and a hasp on it. That's what we use at my club. Just ablut 0 chance of that getting stolen. Lol

That would work. Could put a hinge on the lid to make it convenient and safe. Arrigato! (Sorry, with a screen name like Taka, couldn't resist)

Also thanks, Whacko.

Harvard has steel coffee cans - seems like they'd direct any energy up and be sufficient to contain most eye-level-or-lower shrapnel. Cheap to boot.

DF&G used to have coffee cans on all the tables behind the benchs that were used as ash trays. Couple rocks on the bottom and they stayed put. Great idea until some dumbass put a dud in one on a windy day. You guessed it, the smoldering butts cooked off the dud. The bullet stayed in the can but the shell case launched itself right through the side off the can and struck a member 30 or so feet away. No injuries. So...don't use a smoldering coffee can full butts and old cigars.

You need a hobo fire range officer on duty and just toss duds in the fire. About as deadly as sap burst . Once you get used to the pop.
With out going crazy large pvc pipe with caps on the ends.
Or just about any wooden box. For a few years way back we had a birdhouse for dudes. Just drop it through the hole.

Last edited:
4" dia. X 6" long pvc pipe with a threaded cap and a 3/8" hole drilled thru the square on the cap. screwed to the wall with that pipe hanger strapping stuff

DF&G used to have coffee cans on all the tables behind the benchs that were used as ash trays. Couple rocks on the bottom and they stayed put. Great idea until some dumbass put a dud in one on a windy day. You guessed it, the smoldering butts cooked off the dud. The bullet stayed in the can but the shell case launched itself right through the side off the can and struck a member 30 or so feet away. No injuries. So...don't use a smoldering coffee can full butts and old cigars.

LOL, I'd worry about that at our club. Also, oil in the bottom is a good idea to kill the duds- except for the 'geniuses' who will put cigs / cigar butts in stuff. Solution has to be completely idiot proof- at least as best we can manage.

LOL, I'd worry about that at our club. Also, oil in the bottom is a good idea to kill the duds- except for the 'geniuses' who will put cigs / cigar butts in stuff. Solution has to be completely idiot proof- at least as best we can manage.
Idiot proof, don't have a place where duds can be collected, heck get rid of any trash cans also. Apply the you brought it in your bring it out rule. Let's duds be the shooters problem.I
At worst they will leave duds in the dirt

Idiot proof, don't have a place where duds can be collected, heck get rid of any trash cans also. Apply the you brought it in your bring it out rule. Let's duds be the shooters problem.I
At worst they will leave duds in the dirt

Mac, I'd like to try to get them to stop leaving them in the dirt for the mower to find. At least they use the trash cans properly. I'm there often enough to empty them.

Ever see the pvc setups they use at piers and launches to dispose of junk monofilament fishing line?? Something of that nature with a 180 on top should fit the bill.

Any info on how clubs safely and legally dispose of a full dud container? Please spare the traditional, and impractical, answer of "pull all them for components".

Our club has a piece of 6" diameter steel pipe x 18" long, cap welded on the bottom and screwed onto the top. It's mounted vertically on a post. Near the top is a small piece of flat steel permanently bolted to the pipe that easily swivels over a 1" x 1" opening. Let it go and it covers the hole. Drop your duds into that hole and even if it decided to go "bang" nothing would happen to anyone because it's just too robust. It's also painted bright red.

Any info on how clubs safely and legally dispose of a full dud container? Please spare the traditional, and impractical, answer of "pull all them for components".

We drop ours off at the local police station in the town where the club resides. They dispose of them for us.

As recently as a couple of years ago, DF&G drop duds into a heavy barrel with a fire going in it. The barrel was located far enough away from shooters and the duds just cooked off.

As recently as a couple of years ago, DF&G drop duds into a heavy barrel with a fire going in it. The barrel was located far enough away from shooters and the duds just cooked off.
I agree with Glockster, without a barrel directing the bullet, its just expensive firecrackers. You paid for them to go BANG. Make them go BANG!

Back
Top Bottom