• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

lockable Container

mikelawtown

NES Member
im looking to lock up some ammo and don't want to put it all in the safes I have now as I'm getting full. I have a child so it must be locked up secure, Like a JobBox but smaller. something like 2x2x4 feet, maybe not as tall.i know there are a lot of things out there but just looking for Ideas on what you guy's are using?

I trolled Craigs list until a found a solid double door office cabinet. Works like a champ! I added a 2x3 base to provide full support and some support bracing right up the middle between each shelf to support the weight of ammo.

Something like this:

This has wheels (small) and a lock hole and holds more ammo than you can lift.

k2-_7c9273d8-616d-4a21-98c9-caea2c11c080.v1.jpg-0f6a5467bfc6b1a4a6068f60390ea51758acbf7d-webp-450x450.webp

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Footlocker-Titanium/16415917

I pick filing cabinets up on the side of the road and weld hasps on them. I use either pad locks or cable locks that come with a new gun to lock the drawers. The 2 door cabinets are pretty small and might be a good choice for you. Too bad yard sale season is pretty much over, I was seeing them pretty frequently.

the wife's hope chest i gave her over 40 years ago. cheap button lock that can be opened with a screwdriver and a bit of torque, but is childproof. mrs boscru put up a bit of protest initially, but i explained if she insisted on blasting off 500 rounds of .22 at every range trip, i needed bulk storage space for it.

the wife's hope chest i gave her over 40 years ago. cheap button lock that can be opened with a screwdriver and a bit of torque, but is childproof. mrs boscru put up a bit of protest initially, but i explained if she insisted on blasting off 500 rounds of .22 at every range trip, i needed bulk storage space for it.
If I ever "explained" to my Sicilian wife of 30 years that I'd be "storing something in her hope chest", the first thing that would be stored in there would be my testicles.
Just sayin'...

There is a member on here selling small threaded adapters that can make ammo cans lockable. Just drill a 1/2 inch hole and slide on a lock. I be live they where designed for .50 cal cans but two of them work fine on the big 40mm cans (no hinge on a side)

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Edit, his name is "buggin"

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I have one of these Ridgid boxes from page 1 and it great. Same construction as the big boxes. Probably tougher to pry open than a big one cause the lid is smaller and locking "lugs" closer together sp the lid would probably be harder to bend and open.

Doesn't everyone in Mass store their ammo in a Bunker Hill ammo box?

1. Harbor Freight once again has their $14.99 ammo boxes on sale for $6.99ea. this month. ($4.99 w/ coupon from glossy October 2015 Giant Liquidation circular issue 8526; limit 8 per coupon). Each box holds 3x500==1500 rounds of boxed .22LR or 6x50==300 rounds of boxed .45ACP.
  2. The ammo boxes fit these teentsy padlocks. 4 padlocks identically keyed with 16 keys (each 4-pack differently keyed) costs $6.99ea.
  3. So 8 boxes and 2 sets of padlocks will set you back $53.90.
  4. Make sure the boxes' synthetic rubber seals are intact; and that there are no cracks or cold-mold gaps in the actual plastic body before you bring them to the cash register. Make sure the keys fit smoothly in the locks before you leave the parking lot (and beware wrap rage getting at the padlocks).
  5. Profit.
ETA: 8 boxes at the periodic $2.99 super saver coupon price plus two 4-packs of padlocks (now priced at $5.99 ea.), now adds up to $35.90 for 8 locking boxes that come with two sets of 16 keys, each that work on all the locks in a box quad.

So that's $35.90 to store 12,000 rounds of .22LR or 2,400 rounds of .45ACP.

Last edited:
Has anyone stored 50 cal cans in these to make them inaccessible? How many were you able to fit?

I haven't tried but if memory serves me I wouldn't be surprised if you could fit at least 4.

I did learn that you shouldn't stand on top of them though [shocked].

ETA: I couldn't get a perfect measurement because my bins aren't empty, but if placed left to right you can definitely get 3 in there. If you put them length-wise, two deep, you might be able to fit 4.

Last edited:
I have something like this...it's a little tight in there now though. I might add a locking file cabinet...

61Q3DZpKn4L._SL1000_.jpg

I use 2 drawer wide lateral file filing cabinets that I bought several years ago from Transfer Enterprises scratch and dent store in East Hartford CT. I bought 12 of them at 25 bucks apiece and they are full and ready to rock, 1 for each caliber I shoot. I also bought the 2 door storage cabinets for reloading supplies and other miscellaneous stuff.
http://www.tedesk.com/special-of-the-month/

A good amount of my ammo resides in ammo cans inside of a Pelican 1730 in the basement. A friend once asked me if I was concerned about someone stealing it so I told him if he could tip it up on it's wheels and get it up the steep narrow staircase he could have it, it's still sitting there in the basement.

Heavy duty locking file cabinets or supply , or even flammables cabinets work well for this. Even if the cabinet doesnt lock its not rocket science to use a drill and some hardware to add a hasp to it to throw a padlock on it.

-Mike

Heavy duty locking file cabinets or supply , or even flammables cabinets work well for this. Even if the cabinet doesnt lock its not rocket science to use a drill and some hardware to add a hasp to it to throw a padlock on it.

-Mike

kinda what im thinking on doing. may have to visit our storage upstairs at work and see what I can find...Thanks for all the ideas

I would look for a USED 2 or 4 drawer file cabinet that had been altered to include a locking bar for secure document storage. Just add a padlock, and you are good to go. this type has a long flat steel bar that stops all the drawers from opening.

For childproof ammo storage when the safe became inadequate I picked up something like this on CL a while back:
http://worcester.craigslist.org/fuo/5216686692.html
Added some hardware for a padlock.

Looks decent, fits nicely in an unused corner and I put all my holsters and shit like that in the cubby and can put more stuff on top.
Not overly secure but plenty sufficient for keeps little hands off.

Last edited:
Find some old school gym or regular lockers. These are often getting thrown out when schools are getting redone. Ask a custodian. Sometimes they come as a block of 3 or 4 or 5.

Back
Top Bottom