• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

lLegal carry of Preban Glock mags

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a clean cut answer if I can publically
Carry a preban mag of 17rds loaded in my glock
In public or if its for range use only. I've read differi g
And conflicting answers. Most say its legal but not
Recommended? Any answers are appreciated thanks

I'd suggest you carry as many as you possibly can. If god forbid you had to defend the life of yourself or others, why would you want to be limited to 10 rounds if you can carry 17 ?

It's insane to think people would "recommend" otherwise.

I Yi Yi yi Yi. [rolleyes]

Possession of an ammunition carrying device made after the ban, that holds more than 10 rounds in MA is illegal. If it it pre-ban, do anything you like with it.

You should only carry one round in your top pocket.

Attachments

• barney.jpg
    barney.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 102
I'm looking for a clean cut answer if I can publically
Carry a preban mag of 17rds loaded in my glock
In public or if its for range use only. I've read differi g
And conflicting answers. Most say its legal but not
Recommended? Any answers are appreciated thanks

Preban's are legal, for now anyway, but I don't carry them. Most police don't know the gun laws, on the off chance that I am stopped or whatever, I just don't want the hassle. I'd win in court, but at what cost.

Preban's are legal, for now anyway, but I don't carry them. Most police don't know the gun laws, on the off chance that I am stopped or whatever, I just don't want the hassle. I'd win in court, but at what cost.

Why? You would handicap yourself to avoid hassle?

anything you're afraid to own you can pass on to me and i will rock wth pleasure.

I have not heard any reports of LTC holders being hassled for > 10 round pre ban mags. In general, if there is no incident or other "problem" a valid LTC-A/unrestricted makes the carrying a non-issue.

Of bigger concern is being CERTAIN any mags in your carry weapons are indeed pre-ban. If you are involved in any sort of defensive situation, and it looks like you have a strong claim of lawful self defense, the state will go on a scavenger hunt looking for something, anything, to hang you on - so expect no limit to the amount of effort and resources that might (emphasis, might - we're talking risk mitigation here) be put into trying to determine if they can get you on a magazine felony.

Yes, concealed, LTC-A no restrictions, no govt buildings, no schools, no drinking, maybe not the post office (but we're not sure on that one).

I also carry a 33rd magazine down the front of my pants. It prints...and seems to scare people away. [rofl]

Yes, concealed, LTC-A no restrictions, no govt buildings, no schools, no drinking, maybe not the post office (but we're not sure on that one).

I also carry a 33rd magazine down the front of my pants. It prints...and seems to scare people away. [rofl]

we gonna party whenever your carrier comes in. [rofl]

1232z3s.jpg

Why? You would handicap yourself to avoid hassle?

I'm don't feel I'm handicapping my self. My carry is a G21 with a 10rd mag and two more mags on my six. 30 rounds vs 39 rounds. I like the two mags in the back, great lumber support.

anything you're afraid to own you can pass on to me and i will rock wth pleasure.

Everything I own is legal and I know it, but most police aren't up on the gun laws, and I don't want to go to court, and all that it entails to prove them wrong. To me it's like coming up to an intersection with a green light and I see someone about to run the red. I'm in the right, but I don't want to prove it by potentially getting hit.

I have not heard any reports of LTC holders being hassled for > 10 round pre ban mags. In general, if there is no incident or other "problem" a valid LTC-A/unrestricted makes the carrying a non-issue.

Rob, I was referring to 10 + pre-ban mags.

Of bigger concern is being CERTAIN any mags in your carry weapons are indeed pre-ban. If you are involved in any sort of defensive situation, and it looks like you have a strong claim of lawful self defense, the state will go on a scavenger hunt looking for something, anything, to hang you on - so expect no limit to the amount of effort and resources that might (emphasis, might - we're talking risk mitigation here) be put into trying to determine if they can get you on a magazine felony.

Agreed. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/massachusetts-laws/4944-ma-identifying-pre-ban-glock-mags-11.html

I've got plenty of pre-ban mags in many different calibers, and if the law in this retarded state changes, I'll take'm to NH, where I hope to live full time, some day very soon.

Last edited:
But who would know you have a standard capacity mag that would care anyway ... unless you actually used it in real life stiuation.

But who would know you have a standard capacity mag that would care anyway ... unless you actually used it in real life stiuation.
Traffic stop or a case of mistaken identity.

About two years ago I went into the CVS in North Beverly on my way home from work. It was about 10:30 PM. While I was in line at the register, a policeman walked in and came right up to me and asked if he could speak to me for a minute. I told him sure, as soon as I was done paying for my stuff. He seemed a little impatient. After I paid, I walked over to him and asked him what was up. He wanted to know if I had been bothering a woman out front earlier that evening. I said no. I told him I'd pulled up to the store five minutes earlier and if he didn't believe me he could probably ask CVS to see the security camera footage. He told me a man fitting my description had been harassing a woman and had put his hands on her. He then asked if I could just come outside because he wanted to talk to me out there. I kinda got a bad vibe, but I walked out the door in front of him. I wasn't three feet out the door and he told me everything was fine, and he apologized for the inconvenience and thanked me for my cooperation. It was kinda sureal. I just wanted to get to my truck and go home.

My guess was that the woman was in one of the cars in the parking lot and indicated to the officer that I wasn't the guy. Back then, I carried a G17 with a 17 round mag and a second 17 round mag. They were pre-ban mags. What if the woman indicated that I was the guy, even though I wasn't. I be searched, cuffed & stuffed. I would've know I had an alibi, I'd left the Agawam Diner 20 minutes earlier and had been talking to people that know me. If you get all green light's and don't go more than ten MPH over the posted limit you can't do that trip in under 15 minutes. But what about my mags. I know more than a few cops, and I've asked some of them about hi-cap pre-ban mags. Some say, that it doesn't matter. Some say that's illegal. Most say they honestly don't know. I don't want to be the one to educate a policeman at my expense.

I loaned my CD by Chief Ron Glidden on Law Enforcement Guide To Firearms Law to a cop friend of mine like three years ago. His wife told me she found it when they moved a few months ago and she'll get it back to me [rolleyes].

LenS turned me on to this, I think it's a must have for any gun owner in Mass; Ron's Books & CDs

Exactly. And in that case they're going to look into everything you have anyway. So to not carry a LEGAL pre-ban is ridiculous. You will be investigated and the mag will be found to be legal.

Its funny. When I started living in MA, people told me "Carry your pre bans, but its ok to bring your post bans to the range. hmm.

As a lefty, I prefer the old, cheap U-notch glock prebans. They aren't drop free. So if the mag release accidentally contacts my finger during recoil, the mag won't hit the ground.

Although, I've found this to be less of a problem with the Gen 4 mag release. (left in the standard position)

Don

Do all pre bans have identifying marks as to when they were manufactured? If not, I am sure as hell not carrying a mag greater than 10 without documentation to corroborate as such in this shitshow of a state.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom