Linsky's Amendment is back in play - Call your rep NOW!

I have not parsed this yet, but this is what I've been told the language is:

SECTION 18. Section 121 of chapter 140 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is 240 hereby amended by inserting after the word “gun”, in line 100, the following words:- ; provided, 241 however, that “machine gun” shall include bump stocks and trigger cranks. 242 SECTION 19. Said section 121 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby further 243 amended by inserting after the definition of “Assault weapon” the following definition:- 244 “Bump stock”, any device for a weapon that increases the rate of fire achievable with 245 such weapon by using energy from the recoil of the weapon to generate a reciprocating action 246 that facilitates repeated activation of the trigger. 247 SECTION 20. Said section 121 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended 248 by inserting after the definition of “Shotgun” the following definition:- 249 “Trigger crank”, any device to be attached to a weapon that repeatedly activates the 250 trigger of the weapon through the use of a lever or other part that is turned in a circular motion; 15 of 27 251 provided, however, that “trigger crank” shall not include any weapon initially designed and 252 manufactured to fire through the use of a crank or lever

SECTION 18. Section 121 of chapter 140 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is
hereby amended by inserting after the word “gun”, in line 100, the following words:- ; provided,
however, that “machine gun” shall include bump stocks and trigger cranks.
SECTION 19. Said section 121 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby further
amended by inserting after the definition of “Assault weapon” the following definition:-
“Bump stock”, any device for a weapon that increases the rate of fire achievable with
such weapon by using energy from the recoil of the weapon to generate a reciprocating action
that facilitates repeated activation of the trigger.
SECTION 20. Said section 121 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended
by inserting after the definition of “Shotgun” the following definition:-
“Trigger crank”, any device to be attached to a weapon that repeatedly activates the
trigger of the weapon through the use of a lever or other part that is turned in a circular motion;
provided, however, that “trigger crank” shall not include any weapon initially designed and
manufactured to fire through the use of a crank or lever

That looks like the Tarr language

SECTION 18. Section 121 of chapter 140 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is 240 hereby amended by inserting after the word “gun”, in line 100, the following words:- ; provided, 241 however, that “machine gun” shall include bump stocks and trigger cranks. 242 SECTION 19. Said section 121 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby further 243 amended by inserting after the definition of “Assault weapon” the following definition:- 244 “Bump stock”, any device for a weapon that increases the rate of fire achievable with 245 such weapon by using energy from the recoil of the weapon to generate a reciprocating action 246 that facilitates repeated activation of the trigger. 247 SECTION 20. Said section 121 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended 248 by inserting after the definition of “Shotgun” the following definition:- 249 “Trigger crank”, any device to be attached to a weapon that repeatedly activates the 250 trigger of the weapon through the use of a lever or other part that is turned in a circular motion; 15 of 27 251 provided, however, that “trigger crank” shall not include any weapon initially designed and 252 manufactured to fire through the use of a crank or lever

If that is the languange, that is mostly the Tarr language.

Senate just said no more roll calls today, however they will not adjourn until the matter of today is delivered to the governors desk.
House is in informal session, so no live coverage.

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/190/H4008
Looks like Tarr language.

Bill H.4008 Page said:
An Act making appropriations for the fiscal year 2017 to provide for supplementing certain existing appropriations and for certain other activities and projects

The committee of conference on the disagreeing votes of the two branches with reference to the Senate amendment of the House Bill making appropriations for the fiscal year 2017 to provide for final deficiencies and for certain other activities and projects (House, No. 3979), reports, in part, recommending passage of the accompanying bill (House, No. 4008).
[h=2]
[/h]

So, just to be clear, this is confiscation, correct? Possession of a bump stock (not attached to a rifle) will be a felony. In some ways, this is/will be the most radical piece of gun control legislation ever passed in MA. No grandfathering, no registration, just straight up confiscation or jail.

So, just to be clear, this is confiscation, correct? Possession of a bump stock (not attached to a rifle) will be a felony. In some ways, this is/will be the most radical piece of gun control legislation ever passed in MA. No grandfathering, no registration, just straight up confiscation or jail.

Unless you have an MG permit?

Technically, no. A bump stock was just classified as a machine-gun in Massachusetts. SO if you have a green card, you are good to go.

MAJoe beat me, jeopardy style with that "?" at the end though.

You have 90 Days, even a green card will not allow you to purchase one. (or sell one).

SECTION 53. Sections 18 to 21, inclusive, shall take effect 90 days after the effective
date of this act; provided, however, that no person shall purchase, sell or offer for sale a bump
stock or trigger crank as defined in sections 18 and 19 of this act after the effective date of this
act.

definitely lesser of two evils...if the info is correct. It's sad...but it sorta a win considering. It really looked like Linsky was going to win this one. That would have been the most aggressive anti-2A ever passed in the nation.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to call on this issue. I called all six members of the committee Tuesday, and made sure to speak with an aide at each office instead of leaving messages. I was asked if I was against the Linsky language, which of course I am. However, I stressed how the bump-stock issue should not be addressed with an amendment, as it should have gone through an open hearing process. I stressed that the amendments should be dropped from the budget, and brought forward as a separate bill. I did say that Senator Tarr's language was the more appropriate version, as it actually addresses these devices with responsible language that is not arbitrary or open to interpretation.

Today I called Governor Baker's office and spoke with an aide and asked the following:

If the Governor supported the Second Amendment.
If the Governor believed that our citizens had a right to participate in an open hearing process before legislation is passed.
If the Governor was familiar with the Linksy language which discriminates against women, youth, and the handicapped who require that their firearms be modified to participate in shooting sports or for personal protection.
If the Governor was willing to sign the budget with the Linsky amendment, making these law-abiding citizens felons punishable by 3-20 years in prison.
I asked that the Governor pressure the committee to drop the amendments from the budget, to support Tarr's language as it's own bill, and under no circumstances sign the Linksy language into law.

I am also attempting to contact Rep. Colleen Gary and Senator Eileen Donahue. I'll keep calling until I can speak with someone.

Keep applying pressure on all six committee members, the Governor, and your representatives. My wife has been trying to contact the representatives on the committee, and their receptionists have told her they are being buried in phone calls. It will have an effect.

I think I can clarify some of his positions.
No, he does not support the 2nd amendment.
No he does not support public input on bills . See support of Maura's edict that he worked behind the scenes on
Yes is perfectly fine with turning people who have been law abiding all their lives into instant felons, again see support of Healy's edict.
Charlie didn't bat an eye at the prospect of You or I doing a ten year prison term for legally purchased and owned property.
He has made it very clear he will sign ANY bill that hits his desk.

So, if you own a bump stock, you are supposed to just suck up the fact that your private property is being confiscated?

Baker loves signing this stuff, he’s as anti gun as any dem, he would have signed the mag confiscation bill too

You sure about that?

And can you get an MG permit in 90 days?

Current 140 - 121 Machine gun definition:

''Machine gun'', a weapon of any description, by whatever name known, loaded or unloaded, from which a number of shots or bullets may be rapidly or automatically discharged by one continuous activation of the trigger, including a submachine gun.

Post amendment definition

''Machine gun'', a weapon of any description, by whatever name known, loaded or unloaded, from which a number of shots or bullets may be rapidly or automatically discharged by one continuous activation of the trigger, including a submachine gun ; provided, however, that “machine gun” shall include bump stocks and trigger cranks..

Adding definitions:
“Bump stock”, any device for a weapon that increases the rate of fire achievable with such weapon by using energy from the recoil of the weapon to generate a reciprocating action that facilitates repeated activation of the trigger.

“Trigger crank”, any device to be attached to a weapon that repeatedly activates the trigger of the weapon through the use of a lever or other part that is turned in a circular motion; provided, however, that “trigger crank” shall not include any weapon initially designed and manufactured to fire through the use of a crank or lever.

Therefore, rules on owning a bumpstock are the same as owning a machine gun.

However, the enforcement says no one can buy, sell or offer for sale. So machine gun rules without ability to transfer (in or out of your possession).

You have 90 Days, even a green card will not allow you to purchase one. (or sell one).

SECTION 53. Sections 18 to 21, inclusive, shall take effect 90 days after the effective
date of this act; provided, however, that no person shall purchase, sell or offer for sale a bump
stock or trigger crank as defined in sections 18 and 19 of this act after the effective date of this
act.

It doesn't say anything about possession, so buying one elsewhere and bringing it into the state (assuming you have a MG licence) is still legal.

“Bump stock”, any device for a weapon that increases the rate of fire achievable with such weapon by using energy from the recoil of the weapon to generate a reciprocating action that facilitates repeated activation of the trigger.

So they just classified bolts as machine guns. Cool.

Current 140 - 121 Machine gun definition:

Post amendment definition

Adding definitions:

However, the enforcement says no one can buy, sell or offer for sale. So machine gun rules without ability to transfer (in or out of your possession).

Meh, my gun shoots as fast as the bolt will allow it. End. Of. Story.

... within the state. There's nothing there that says anything about transportation into or out of the state. MA laws and MA definitions don't have any legal weight once you hit even the NY border.

e.g.: Billybob can sell Joebob his trigger crank or slidefire in NH.

So is this piece of plastic or hand generator crank worse than a bad cop planting coke, heroin, etc on your belongings.

Phentonyl overdose gets you a shot of Narcan and send you on your way. Plastic stock or crank go directly to jail for 20 years. Sounds reasonable.

So no ****ing EOOPS bullshit?

Correct. No EOPS bullshit. Until next year. Linsky/DeLeo lost this one but they will keep trying.

Shout out to GOAL, MVGC, and all the NES members who kept us informed of Linky's BS.
Many Many thanks to all the NES members who made the effort to contact the legislators.

can you get a non resident mg license?

I know that I answered this yesterday or the day before.

NO!!

MGL C. 140 S. 131 authorizes LTC and MG licenses for RESIDENTS.

MGL C. 140 S., 131F authorizes LTCs ONLY for NON-RESIDENTS. Absolutely no wording in this section that would allow for licensing NRs for MGs.

Correct. No EOPS bullshit. Until next year. Linsky/DeLeo lost this one but they will keep trying.

Shout out to GOAL, MVGC, and all the NES members who kept us informed of Linky's BS.
Many Many thanks to all the NES members who made the effort to contact the legislators.

This...thanks NES

I think I can clarify some of his positions.
No, he does not support the 2nd amendment.
No he does not support public input on bills . See support of Maura's edict that he worked behind the scenes on
Yes is perfectly fine with turning people who have been law abiding all their lives into instant felons, again see support of Healy's edict.
Charlie didn't bat an eye at the prospect of You or I doing a ten year prison term for legally purchased and owned property.
He has made it very clear he will sign ANY bill that hits his desk.

Don't forget:
Governor and MA Legislature are exempt from open records and FOIA laws.
They exempted themselves from a billion other laws that you have to follow.
They laugh behind your back, and sometimes in your face.

Back
Top Bottom