• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Linsky's Amendment is back in play - Call your rep NOW!

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
Please do this NOW.

GOAL Alert

10/26/17

GOAL has learned that the MA House of Representatives engrossed a new budget bill during informal session today, which includes the Linsky amendment regarding modification of firearms. The language is in two parts.

The first section (Section 18), copied below, would make any basic modification and or maintenance of a firearm illegal, including required maintenance like lubrication of moving parts.

Section 131R. Whoever possesses, owns or offers for sale any device which attaches to a rifle, shotgun or firearm, except a magazine, that is designed to increase the rate of discharge of the rifle, shotgun or firearm or whoever modifies any rifle, shotgun or firearm with the intent to increase its rate of discharge, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison by not less than 3 nor more than 20 years.

The second section (Section 51) is equally egregious in that it gives EOPPS regulatory authority over all maintenance and enhancement of rifles, shotguns, and firearms. Can you imagine what AG Healey would do should EOPPS be granted this kind of authority? See language pasted below.

The Secretary of Public Safety shall promulgate regulations by January 1, 2018 concerning the allowability of maintenance and enhancement of rifles, shotguns and firearms consistent with the intent of this section.

We are being told that Governor Baker will sign this into law, by Tuesday, October 31, 2017. Please take action immediately

Take Action

Please call your state representative and senator immediately! Let them know that this amendment must be stripped from the budget bill. This language is so broad and open to interpretation and abuse that it will cause a legal quagmire for licensed gun owners in Massachusetts.

You can call the State House operator at 617-722-2000 and ask for your state representative and/or senator, or you can look up their direct phone number by clicking here.

Please call your state rep and your state senator. Even if they support it, they should know that they are not in bubble world.

Got my senators aid live.
I made the standard observations, and pointed out that the House seems to hold the Senate in low regard given the language that exited Ways and Means.

Summary notes:
"We just found out ourselves"
"Way too broad"
"I will absolutely let the Senator know"
"The Senator has similar concerns" (re: overly broad language especially WRT EOPS regulatory domain)

Left a message for my rep.

--Edit:
Find your legislators, call offices and aids directly:
https://malegislature.gov/Search/FindMyLegislator

If your senator or rep supports this, ask them exactly what is being banned. The answer will show they either don't know wtf they're talking about or intentionally chose to be vague.

I am sending this to my Rep

It has been brought to my attention that the legislature is once again going forward with more infringements of gun control law adding it to a budget bill. That does not accomplish anything except help you legislatures feel like you did something about public outcry about hysteria from a manic with a gun in the news once again. There are more than enough gun control laws already, please remove this latest legislature from the bill. Enough is enough. I will not stand by and allow you to set a precedent or allow you to make law abiding citizens into criminals overnight. We are not going to sit here and take it so do your job please and I will continue to be a law abiding citizen as always,and hopefully the law enforcement and judicial branches will actually do theirs to reduce crime.

BTW, I find it difficult to believe that you voted yes on the previous bill which included Linsky's gun control section that was such a poor example of legislature that a 7th grade civics student would know better than to write that. And that Senate version was just about as bad. Please stop with the infringements and have the rest of the government enforce and prosecute the laws we have. Don't make more bad laws, we have enough in this state already.

Is that too long or harsh?

Got live people at both my rep & senator's offices. The aide for my rep said I was first to call and thanked me for letting her know, she says Rep Rogers gets a lot of calls from Norwood & Walpole when stuff like this happens, so prove her right people, light them up!

The aide at Sen Rush's office sounded exhausted, I think she has been taking a beating all day on the criminal justice reform thing they're doing today and I could hear in her voice "oh Lord, not a gun thing today too...".

As always, be polite, firm and informed, but call!

Last edited:
Make the calls. I spoke with my Senator's aid for about 10 minutes. My Senator is not pro 2A but he is not in favor of the broad language as put forth by the house. Sounds like he will be in favor of at least rewriting the language. I'm not calling it a win but it's better than a blind following of Linsky's bill.

Has this already passed the house or added back in pending vote?

This has passed house. Now going to senate.

Bill History

Displaying 8 actions for Bill H.3979
Date BranchAction
10/26/2017HouseReported from the committee on House Ways and Means
10/26/2017HouseReported on a part of H3869
10/26/2017HouseCommittee recommended ought to pass
10/26/2017HouseCommittee recommended ought to pass and referred to the committee on House Steering, Policy and Scheduling
10/26/2017HouseCommittee reported that the matter be placed in the Orders of the Day for the next sitting
10/26/2017HouseRules suspended
10/26/2017HouseRead second, ordered to a third reading, rules suspended, read third
10/26/2017HousePassed to be engrossed

This has passed house. Now going to senate.

Bill History

Displaying 8 actions for Bill H.3979
Date BranchAction
10/26/2017HouseReported from the committee on House Ways and Means
10/26/2017HouseReported on a part of H3869
10/26/2017HouseCommittee recommended ought to pass
10/26/2017HouseCommittee recommended ought to pass and referred to the committee on House Steering, Policy and Scheduling
10/26/2017HouseCommittee reported that the matter be placed in the Orders of the Day for the next sitting
10/26/2017HouseRules suspended
10/26/2017HouseRead second, ordered to a third reading, rules suspended, read third
10/26/2017HousePassed to be engrossed

Ugh. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom