• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Let’s talk rifles...

Ok so i’m looking for some advice. I’m the proud owner of a Sig P320 as well as a G19 & G26. Just purchased my first SG. Winchester SPX field. To round it all out in the near future I’ll be looking to buy my first rifle. It will be for target only as I’m not a hunter. Do I just concede that I go with a .22 or are there better options to consider? Keeping in mind that it will be my first so I’m not looking to break the bank. What rifles are your favorite for target.

Too many political posts on here. Let’s talk guns.

Personally either a .22 (and there are plenty) or a M1 Garand if you want a larger caliber rifle for it (not sure what break the bank entails for you).
Whether a 10/22 (my recommended first .22) with it's massive third party following, or a cheaper marlin model 60 you could have accurate fun with either for fairly cheap.
I'm sure some will recommend the Savage Axis rifles for a entry level price rifle that is accurate and available in a number of calibers.
Or my thought of getting an M1 that can be used for the above, have some heft behind it (fun in and of it's own) and can still be had for 750$'ish from CMP as an investment.

Well everybody needs a 10/22 or four, maybe five. Cheap gun, cheap ammo, reliable and almost as customizable as an AR.

I can’t see your location right now, out of the country on my phone, but as long as you’re not in a commie state, an AR is the logical next step. I will caution you though, they are addictive. And they seem to multiply like rabbits.

I have 3 suggestions:

1. A real AR15. It’s customizable, uses cheap ammo, accurate, easy to learn, and is at the top of the list when it comes to bannable things. You won’t regret it as long as you can find one for a reasonable sum. On the last point, good luck.

2. Kel-Tec SU16. It’s like an AR wannabe. If I was buying my first centerfire rifle now I would probably go this route. I’ve seen them go for under 600 which is nice. Takes stanag magazines and 5.56. Not quite as durable as a real AR but it folds in half which is cool.

3. A Ruger 10/22 or MP1522. Cheap, reliable, customizable. .22 is dirt cheap and now it’s a good time to stack it. 5 bricks will run you $100 and you could shoot for a long time with that many nuggets.

Your first rifle should be a platform capable of defending yourself and your family from criminals and tyrants.
Worry about the .22 later...

This x 1000. And actually, you need two rifles. A battle rifle capable of accepting a 30 round magazine, (AR -AK or similar) and a scoped rifle in .308 or larger.

The first rifle you should buy is a .22. You can’t go wrong with a 10/22. You also can’t go wrong with a bolt action with a decent scope or a lever action.

But if you find a decent deal on something you may not be able to easily buy, it’s hard to not grab that AR/ FAL/ scar/ M1A etc..

And a lever action in a pistol caliber you already own is a real lot of fun too...

It just depends on what you’re into.

Your first rifle should be a platform capable of defending yourself and your family from criminals and tyrants.
Worry about the .22 later...

I agree with you but cost is a factor. Learning how to shoot a rifle is harder than obtaining a defensive capable rifle. I would go:

10/22 if you can afford one, else good quality bolt .22 older is potentially better

2000 rounds of .22LR to learn rifle.

Defensive Perimiter gun. Ar-15 or Sks or ak-47 as you choose .Tend towards ar-15.

Bolt gun in .308/.30-06 or 6.5 Creedmor.

This x 1000. And actually, you need two rifles. A battle rifle capable of accepting a 30 round magazine, (AR -AK or similar) and a scoped rifle in .308 or larger.
I would say 270 or larger, but we are splitting hairs.

I'd finagle a way into an AR (or AK if one has a preference). Ammo, mags, parts, ammo components, rifles themselves right now are as plentiful and affordable as theyre ever going to be. I'd hate to dick around with something else and later on not be able to find one.

Loving the feedback. I’m not so concerned about home defence since I have my p320 at the bedstand & the Winchester will be close by.

A handgun is only there so that you may be able to fight to a long gun.

Winchester def counts as a long gun. Research round selection for it carefully. Out in the stix, 000buck is good. If you are in an apartment I'd consider #4turkey.

Did a bunch of looking back when I was first doing the same thing you are doing and made some choices about what to leave the shorty loaded with based on how close my neighbors were and what the chances would be for overpen.

I had an sks, but bought a 12 ga 870 and set it up with a good light, extension tube, flexible choke and carefully selected rounds for home defense. Sks had too much chance of overpen where I was and wasn't as reliable at the time due to duck bill mags.

Loving the feedback. I’m not so concerned about home defence since I have my p320 at the bedstand & the Winchester will be close by.

Don’t forget to spread the love though for home defense. Tuck your 320 in your pants, toss your Winchester to the wife, then grab up your GPR-15 for twice the fun. Walk out in the hallway saying, “Luceyyyyy, I’m home! Where are youuu?” lol

For target/plinking I'd go with a bolt gun in 17HMR or 22LR. Henry 22 lever guns are also really fun as is the 10-22. Myself, I tend to gravitate to the 30 caliber battle rifles be they semi-auto or bolt.

You are missing the point. A pistol is sufficient for ‘home defense’ if we are talking one or two ill-prepared intruders. For defense against someone or some group intent on doing you or your family harm, and potentially equipped to do so, a pistol is a backup option.

Pray to god that you never need to be in a fairly lengthy fire fight, especially at or near home! But if that ends up being the case, you will want a rifle with the capability to throw lots of lead, quickly, and for a sustained period of time. AR is the cheapest and debatably best option for the most part. I have put together functional and very reliable ARs for under 500, but I am in NH. In MA, that same rifle will cost you about 3x the price if you can find one willing to be sold. They do get much fancier.

Invest in a Preban AR15 for starters. They are as American as Baseball, hot dogs, and apple pie! They have more build options than a Jeep and so much fun at the range! And, as been pointed out in previous posts: economical and practical. Surf the blogs here for a wealth of knowledge and opinions from experts before you invest.

have put together functional and very reliable ARs for under 500, but I am in NH. In MA, that same rifle will cost you about 3x the price if you can find one willing to be sold. They do get much fancier.
Depending on ones tolerance for risk and ability to think outside the box, an AR can be had in MA for just about the same price as anywhere else.

Depending on ones tolerance for risk and ability to think outside the box, an AR can be had in MA for just about the same price as anywhere else.
I wouldn’t know but sure do hope that you are correct!!!

I tell most every gun guy I know in mass to feel free to use my address as a shipping point. My fee is we have to hang out and have a few beers, which would have happened anyways.

I wouldn’t know but sure do hope that you are correct!!!

I tell most every gun guy I know in mass to feel free to use my address as a shipping point. My fee is we have to hang out and have a few beers, which would have happened anyways.
Or mine lols. We gotta help the guys behind the line.

i would say figure out what you really want from your rifle purchase.
1. What are your expectations for "target" shooting.
A. Tiny little groups in the X ring as best as possible
B. Banging 6-8" steel targets as far out as you can see them.
2 . Do you have any interest in shooting any matches be it local fun or high precision
3. You like to shoot from a bench or positional shooting.

How much do you think you want to spend
Rifle ammo optics

Something else to consider is when,where and range distance.
There is really no fun setting up a platform with 500-1200 yard capabilities if you only have time and access to 100 yards 90% of the time.

no one can tell you what to get but my favorite target gun for me inside 200 yards is my remington 513t made in 1942
Sports redfield olympic match sights and option for a 8x32x44 mueller scope. Irons or scope its fun to shoot from 25-200yards and test your skills especially if the wind picks.

Also consider if you just want to shoot rifles look into CMP and NRA events often you can find events with loaner rifles such as M1 garands, ARs and others depending on the event.
This way you can practice some skills for the cost of ammo and small entry fee.
I shot club M1s for 4 years until i saved up enough for one of my own.

right now i like bench and prone shooting trying to shoot small groups and if i had the cash i would buy a anshutz 1903L a nice set of match sights and send it off to eley and have them match some ammo to my rifle and buy 5k rounds of that lot. This set up will entertain me for years to come and im doubtful i will ever out shoot it.

2nd would be maybe a tikka sporter in 223 again more than 200 yards is a once a year thing for me so no need for any "long range," cartridges.
223 is about the least expensive yet accurate out there depending on your budget..

There are many options you just need to figure out what grabs your interest.
My buddy has a custom 338 lapua he spent like 5k on building had it out to 500 yards maybe 6 times and 800 yards once. With ammo being close to $75+ for 20 rounds its just silly shooting it at 100 yards. He only bought it because "lapua" ..... I think he just likes saying 338 lapua.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom