• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Let’s talk rifles...

He did ask for opinions. Doesn’t mean we can’t have some fun with it does it? Some of us come here to be lighthearted and enjoy the site without all the OMG the sky is falling BS.

Preferring a particular rifle and giving reasons for that to someone who’s new to them really doesn’t equate to “operator” status. Though if it helps I did spend several years in the Rangers.
Have a hot dog and enjoy your day Sgt Fury. Irony?
yeah yeah ...ah what, anyway to the OP see this is what can happen if you buy one of them ten twentytoozs when it just doesn't do as well as you hoped (mind you I swore off 10/22s when I was in my teens. See back when I was 18 a 10/22 was about all I could afford for a semi auto and you could find a one with issues( 99% of the time it was operator error) cheap for like $40)
well some where along the way a few years back I traded a pistol I disliked more than the 10/22 and ended up with this a few/several hundred $$$ later when it just was not much fun to try and shot small groups and Xs. its the lower rifle. It used to ne a plain jane 10/22 carbine
iDT0D6Rl.jpg

Oh and if shit hits the fan im bugging out all "tracker" style.

OP I know it might be a bit of a drive but come on down to Old Colony Sportsmen Association on july 8th at 830 and shoot a M1 garand bang your brain around check out some rifles and get some ideas
2018 OCSA Pembroke ma NEXT July 8th M1 and Vintage Rifle match

Last edited:
yeah yeah ...ah what, anyway to the OP see this is what can happen if you buy one of them ten twentytoozs when it just doesn't do as well as you hoped (mind you I swore off 10/22s when I was in my teens. See back when I was 18 a 10/22 was about all I could afford for a semi auto and you could find a one with issues( 99% of the time it was operator error) cheap for like $40)
well some where along the way a few years back I traded a pistol I disliked more than the 10/22 and ended up with this a few/several hundred $$$ later when it just was not much fun to try and shot small groups and Xs. its the lower rifle. It used to ne a plain jane 10/22 carbine
iDT0D6Rl.jpg

Oh and if shit hits the fan im bugging out all "tracker" style.

OP I know it might be a bit of a drive but come on down to Old Colony Sportsmen Association on july 8th at 830 and shoot a M1 garand bang your brain around check out some rifles and get some ideas
2018 OCSA Pembroke ma NEXT July 8th M1 and Vintage Rifle match

Whaat? lol I’ll read that again in the morning and see if it makes more sense with coffee as opposed to scotch.

Keep in mind that if you're not looking to break the bank to stick with calibers that have the most plentiful/cheap ammo (9mm, 22 lr, 5.56, 308). If you eventually shoot on a regular basis - at least once a week or more - ammo is where most of your money will go in the long run.

Where are you going to target shoot? Having a 1000yd rifle for a 100yd range gets old quick. If I were starting over, I would buy a Ruger 10/22 first. Great plinker and Appleseed rifle. Do the Appleseeds—for training and a little history. For longer range, I have become a fan of the Savage 10T. I also recommend the 6.5 creedmoor. Plenty accurate out of my the box and easy to up

AR. Out to 100-150 pistol caliber carbine is another thought as well. The 9mms are plenty cheap to shoot, and for all around enjoyment as well as style you just can't beat a 357 lever gun.

A good bolt-action 22. "Good" can cost a lot if new, so shop used. Cabelas and KTP always have a good selection.

10-22: meh. Good way to waste alot of ammo I guess.

A good bolt-action 22. "Good" can cost a lot if new, so shop used. Cabelas and KTP always have a good selection.

10-22: meh. Good way to waste a lot of ammo I guess.

If you are gonna blow a lot of $ on a .22 bolt I'd recommend CZ, their higher-end (like the Varmit EVO) are dead-nuts accurate and sexy as hell. So you get both form & functions. And what's wrong with blowing through .22? its 5 cents a round, its what its for! (Says the steel challenge shooter)

Mind you i find the base 10/22 carbine to be one of the most ill fitting stocks for just about anyone for anything but plinking.

I agree. If you go the .22lr route you might want to take a ride to Kittery. They have all types of .22s to handle for fit. And you have aisle after aisle of other long guns to check out.

I bought a Ruger 10-22 takedown recently. I only have 600 rds through it, but it's been flawless and I haven't gotten around to cleaning it yet. Also, the Springfield M1A in .308 is awesome, and by some coincidence I have one I'm selling.

Don’t really have a figure, but where as a rifle is what I have the least experience with I don’t feel I should dump a lot of dough into something that may not fit me well.

S&W 15-22 is probably a good choice then. ~$300 should get you shooting right away. Although it's flimsy feeling equipment and not really useful for most grown men other than mag dumping, it's a good entry rifle to toy around with minimal financial commitment. All the other recommendations for larger calibers are going to cost you $1,000+ easy. Have fun.

If you are gonna blow a lot of $ on a .22 bolt I'd recommend CZ, their higher-end (like the Varmit EVO) are dead-nuts accurate and sexy as hell. So you get both form & functions. And what's wrong with blowing through .22? its 5 cents a round, its what its for! (Says the steel challenge shooter)
Comes down to what you expect from a rifle and 5 cent ammo. I like the classic looks of the CZ wood stocks for sure.
i dont like the evo style stocks. For me they just dont fit me.
Im always lifting my head to get to the eye bell.

He did ask for opinions. Doesn’t mean we can’t have some fun with it does it?

Thank you for your service. Now lighten up Francis...

Pointing out a half dozen responses that have little or nothing to do with the original question is my idea of internet fun. I do try and be informative too. Package deal.

Have a hot dog and enjoy your day Sgt Fury. Irony?

Actually I had 2 bacon cheeseburgers and onion rings whilre pretending to be my comic book hero. Failing to see the irony there but then again I didn’t serve.

Bottom line is this new gun hobbiest needs a .22 rifle. End of story.

I will be the one to ask. What is a "good" 22 bolt gun.
Possible break it down to whats good,gooder and goodest in price range for used rifles?
For some the end all is remington 40x or a anshutz 54 action.

as for good deals at kittery.... I have not priced out a 54 super match in sometime but for under $900 bucks that does not sound bad espwcially if the sights are nice. I never heard of Hock sights. ANSCHUTZ 1413 SUPER MATCH 54 PRE OWNED | Kittery Trading Post
Plus a few Win 52s there for not terrible prices.

Last edited:
Thank you for your service. Now lighten up Francis...

Pointing out a half dozen responses that have little or nothing to do with the original question is my idea of internet fun. I do try and be informative too. Package deal.

Actually I had 2 bacon cheeseburgers and onion rings whilre pretending to be my comic book hero. Failing to see the irony there but then again I didn’t serve.

Bottom line is this new gun hobbiest needs a .22 rifle. End of story.
But what 22? I have not slept well and now have a craving for a bacon berger for breakfast.

As far as my wife knows I only have a Glock 26 & it was a Poly 80 build so she’s under the impression it was cheap. I did not mislead her in any way, but I’m not about to volunteer more info than she’s looking for. She does know I’m about to get the Winchester.

My GF has no idea what's in my safe, and I'm pretty sure she'd be horrified if she knew.

After handling one that a friend has, I'd recommend an MG34 with barrel/shroud shortened about 7" (convenient since the shroud is 2 piece), modified booster, forward grip added with 50rd drums.

Good for home defense and thread drift.

I’m thinking of a bolt action .22 like a CZ 455 Varmint. But I’m worried it’ll get boring putting holes on top of holes at 100 yards (limit of my club).

I get bored with my semi .22 as well. I enjoy shooting my AR with iron sights at steel more. So maybe a bolt action center fire would be better?

Haven’t tried the .22 with iron sights much cause the Sig ones are crap.

But what 22? I have not slept well and now have a craving for a bacon berger for breakfast.

A 10/22 of course. Can't beat having an endless selection of aftermarket parts. But hell any .22 will do. Not sure why we all can't agree on that... Lol!

I will be the one to ask. What is a "good" 22 bolt gun.
Possible break it down to whats good,gooder and goodest in price range for used rifles?
For some the end all is remington 40x or a anshutz 54 action.
Well, I'd put Anschutz at the top of the"best" list, but that could include FWB and Walther, also. Of the 3 Anscutz' I've bought, none were more than $600, but those were "in the right place at the right time" kind of deals.
Just below that are any of the"target" rifles put out by Remington (40×, 513t, 514, 37, etc) or Winchester (the 52's, 75's). They are easier to find, but still pull a high price.

In the "good 22 bolt rifle" category, the Mossberg 43, Ruger 77/22, cz's, etc. There's a ton of them I'm leaving out because I'm on the can and can't sit here all day.

I put them down in the"good" category not because of less accuracy, but because they are not specifically set up for formal target work

Well, I'd put Anschutz at the top of the"best" list, but that could include FWB and Walther, also. Of the 3 Anscutz' I've bought, none were more than $600, but those were "in the right place at the right time" kind of deals.
Just below that are any of the"target" rifles put out by Remington (40×, 513t, 514, 37, etc) or Winchester (the 52's, 75's). They are easier to find, but still pull a high price.

In the "good 22 bolt rifle" category, the Mossberg 43, Ruger 77/22, cz's, etc. There's a ton of them I'm leaving out because I'm on the can and can't sit here all day.

I put them down in the"good" category not because of less accuracy, but because they are not specifically set up for formal target work
Im drawn to the classic match rifles my 513t as old and beat as it is still does well. Again im out of touch with prices but i like the classics

REMINGTON 37 PRE OWNED | Kittery Trading Post

S&W 15-22 is probably a good choice then. ~$300 should get you shooting right away.

One downside of S&W 15-22 is they can't be used at Appleseed shoot due to perceived safety issues.

If you want a semi auto .22 either go 10-22 or build dedicated .22 upper for AR. I've done both and 10-22 just as much fun and way less expensive.

For a basic plinker I don’t see any reason not to go with a 10/22 or 1522 if you want a .22. Neither are super accurate but will be fun and will suit most purposes.

Ok so i’m looking for some advice. I’m the proud owner of a Sig P320 as well as a G19 & G26. Just purchased my first SG. Winchester SPX field. To round it all out in the near future I’ll be looking to buy my first rifle. It will be for target only as I’m not a hunter. Do I just concede that I go with a .22 or are there better options to consider? Keeping in mind that it will be my first so I’m not looking to break the bank. What rifles are your favorite for target.

Too many political posts on here. Let’s talk guns.

I was way into handguns up until recently. I bought a CZ 455 in 22LR and quickly after bought a Tikka T3x 223. Both are good rifles. 22 in general is frustrating. Too many variables. The ammo consistency is a killer. But, I think I have it figured it. If you go on whittakers guns, they have some CZ 452 that alot of people swear are better than CZ 455. Price is right at $450. It's like the Chevy vs Ford argument I guess. Once you get a 22 you will end up dumping alot of $ into aftermarket stuff. If you get a CZ, shoot me a PM, I have been going through my gun the last year and I can hook you up with links, trigger work how to, etc. Here is a few groups I shot yesterday... The paper is at 50 yards, 5 rounds each. The smallest is just under 3/8. The steel is at 200 yards, 10 rounds, 5" plate. It is fun to take it out 200 and beyond.

Attachments

• Resized_20180630_212302_2414.jpeg
    Resized_20180630_212302_2414.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Resized_20180630_141634_91.jpeg
    Resized_20180630_141634_91.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom