• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

? Legal--LTC renewal receipt permits you to ...

I thought I'd start this thread in case there were a slew of MA folks in the situation of having their receipt (since Jan 1, 2015) in hand while still awaiting their actual license to arrive.

So this much I (think I) know:

`- Possession of the MA LTC renewal "receipt" while you await your new license allows you to continue to legally possess your firearms, without concern for how long it takes for the renewal license to arrive.

- It allows you to legally carry your firearm concealed.

- According to one NES'r and one NES'r/FFL, it permits you to transfer a firearm, including sell to an FFL.

- According to one NES'r, it permits you to purchase a firearm.

- However, according to one NES'r/FFL it does not permit you to sell a firearm.

Is this one of those "it depends on the gunshop" YMMV kind of things?

Is the sale/purchase different if conducted through an FFL versus FTF?

Can a sale/purchase be made with an eFA10 (does the fancy schmancy software allow it)?

Thanks in advance for all the "IANAL but this was my experience" responses...

Last edited:
The FRB had agreed to update MIRCS to allow transactions at shops, and by private eFA10s, for licenses that are expired but under renewal. I think that has already been done.

The FRB had agreed to update MIRCS to allow transactions at shops, and by private eFA10s, for licenses that are expired but under renewal. I think that has already been done.

Thanks, Rob.

One particular FFL (I know, I know--don't always trust what your FFL says about the law) said I could sell to him but not purchase. I could order and pay the $, but would have to wait to take delivery until the actual LTC arrived.

Again, is he just trying (understandably) to cover himself, regardless of the (recent) legality?

Again, is he just trying (understandably) to cover himself, regardless of the (recent) legality?
Probably just doesn't understand the law. The "grace period" was in effect even before the law change (though it was limited in time) and, prior to the law change, the FRB had no provision for processing "grace period" dealer sales.

Due to a backlog that caused my grace period to expire prior to renewal of my LTC, I was without a permit. The officer responsible for these renewals had told me that the receipt could not be used in lieu of the actual LTC. This happened about five years ago.

screw grace period and new laws.... they just need to give us our damn license when it needs to be renewed. None of this sh-t should even have to be talked about here, we should be talking about exercising our rights ..... period. Our license expires in 2 months, we reapply and before the last day of our about to expire license.... there should be a new license in our possession!!!!!

There is no excuse for it to be any other way!!!! None, zero, notta....

Michaela told me in a previous conversation that all that update work was done and all transactions should be able to proceed. HOWEVER, it is based on the PD INPUTTING your info PRIOR to expiration of the current LTC . . . if they don't do that, no transactions can proceed and CCW becomes a gray area.

Thanks, Rob.

One particular FFL (I know, I know--don't always trust what your FFL says about the law) said I could sell to him but not purchase. I could order and pay the $, but would have to wait to take delivery until the actual LTC arrived.

FFLs almost always are clueless. This one fits the mold. I honestly expect a good many FFLs to refuse sales on renewal, most just refuse to learn the law and are easily scared . . . sometimes by ignorant PDs threatening them if they do what the law allows but the PD disapproves of (example: At least 1 Wal-Mart was issued a state ammo dealer's license but threatened by the police chief that if they sold BBs/pellets that he'd revoke it, so that store sells ammo but no pellet/BB guns/supplies)!

screw grace period and new laws.... they just need to give us our damn license when it needs to be renewed. None of this sh-t should even have to be talked about here, we should be talking about exercising our rights ..... period. Our license expires in 2 months, we reapply and before the last day of our about to expire license.... there should be a new license in our possession!!!!!

And from the Un-Constitution state of Connecticut - my permit was due to expire 11/03/15. So, my renewal form showed up in the mail this past week. I took a ride over to the State Police barracks this morning, (the closest one of the three possible locations I could go to). I walked in, presented the form they sent me, my CT driver's license, signed the form in front of the clerk, handed over a check for $70, got my picture taken, and walked out with my renewed permit within 10 minutes. Good for five more years.

screw grace period and new laws.... they just need to give us our damn license when it needs to be renewed. None of this sh-t should even have to be talked about here, we should be talking about exercising our rights ..... period. Our license expires in 2 months, we reapply and before the last day of our about to expire license.... there should be a new license in our possession!!!!! There is no excuse for it to be any other way!!!! None, zero, notta....

And what changes after your rant? NOTHING more invective from the land of shoulds, unicorns and fairies?

Your point? Channel your anger and your dollars and support GOAL and Comm2A where it can do some good. [wink]

We all share your pain brother, you are preaching to the choir.

screw grace period and new laws.... they just need to give us our damn license when it needs to be renewed. None of this sh-t should even have to be talked about here, we should be talking about exercising our rights ..... period. Our license expires in 2 months, we reapply and before the last day of our about to expire license.... there should be a new license in our possession!!!

Yeah, and we should be allowed to store our guns as we please. And transport as we please. And own and carry any mags we please. And own a suppressed, folding stock, pistol gripped rifle. And level 3 sex offenders should be in jail, and...(etc etc etc)

But a +1 for the effort/rant, since I rant/vent often here too. There's also an awesome emoticon available here that shows you banging your head on the wall. I think I've used it a few thousand times...

And from the Un-Constitution state of Connecticut - my permit was due to expire 11/03/15. So, my renewal form showed up in the mail this past week. I took a ride over to the State Police barracks this morning, (the closest one of the three possible locations I could go to). I walked in, presented the form they sent me, my CT driver's license, signed the form in front of the clerk, handed over a check for $70, got my picture taken, and walked out with my renewed permit within 10 minutes. Good for five more years.

[banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead]

Don't feel too bad. I still can't legally purchase any more AR-15's other than "pre-ban", which are ridiculously expensive, and I can't legally purchase any "high-capacity" magazines, nor load mags with more than 10 rounds, not carry any "large capacity magazine" with ammo in it other than in my firearm. Freaking byzantine laws written by morons.

I've been looking at South Carolina and Georgia, planning an exit in the next five years. With Malloy's grand highway infrastructure improvement plan which starts with a negative balance and then raises taxes, I'm thinking of accelerating that and leaving in the spring. Gun laws down there are a lot simpler.

Yep.... I let loose a few times yesterday.... the insanity started off with a road biker thread that was just unfrickinbelievable.... then I come across Gibbs thread and the wheels were already turning.... I just applied for my new license a couple weeks ago, renewal due in October... the officer said they were running about 3 months behind... WTF... so I will send another $50 to GOAL.. have already sent $100 this year... maybe more... I do what I can to support the groups that support us... I call and email my representatives and I am gearing up to vote for those that are pro gun... not sure what else I can do... as for letting off a little steam..... yep, I do that as well.. [banghead][horse][rockon]

Yeah, they're running way slow. I went to renew 2 months before mine expired and finally got the call 3 months and a few weeks later, so I was living on the renewal receipt only for about a month and a half.

Ok... now I really can say... something is BS here.... My license expires in Oct, I applied at my LPD 07/22/2015..... I received my new license in the mail with a postmark on the envelope of 08/17/2015.... 2 months before it expires!!!!!! [party]

LESS THAN 1 MONTH......?????????? WHAT GIVES, can someone explain that...

This last statement above is my confusion statement, I had hoped Len or someone here might have some comment as to why my town had my license to me in less than a month. This has me questioning again, where is the hold-up, the state or the town.... this makes me think the town is where the delay occurs... if that is the case, then our efforts to fix the system should be directed there.

I hope I have been clear enough now.....

Last edited:
Ok... now I really can say... something is BS here.... My license expires in Oct, I applied at my LPD 07/22/2015..... I received my new license in the mail with a postmark on the envelope of 08/17/2015.... 2 months before it expires!!!!!!

Am I missing something here? You are bitching because you received your license in a timely manner?

Ok... now I really can say... something is BS here.... My license expires in Oct, I applied at my LPD 07/22/2015..... I received my new license in the mail with a postmark on the envelope of 08/17/2015.... 2 months before it expires!!!!!!

are you really complaining about the process going faster than what they said it would?

Some people just can't be pleased either way [rolleyes][rolleyes]

Am I missing something here? You are bitching because you received your license in a timely manner?

Sorry if I wasn't clear..... bitching about why it isn't the same for everyone else!!! I asked the question as to why .... really.... does it take so long for so many...

are you really complaining about the process going faster than what they said it would?

Some people just can't be pleased either way [rolleyes][rolleyes]

Since you asked if I was complaining, you obviously did not get the jist of my post.... maybe you should have saved your last comment until you understood me.... I won't say what I want to say.... don't want to end up like Not Tom...

Since you asked if I was complaining, you obviously did not get the jist of my post.... maybe you should have saved your last comment until you understood me.... I won't say what I want to say.... don't want to end up like Not Tom...

It's no ones fault but your own if your posts are as clear as mud and come off as complaining

I thought I'd start this thread in case there were a slew of MA folks in the situation of having their receipt (since Jan 1, 2015) in hand while still awaiting their actual license to arrive.

So this much I (think I) know:

`- Possession of the MA LTC renewal "receipt" while you await your new license allows you to continue to legally possess your firearms, without concern for how long it takes for the renewal license to arrive.

- It allows you to legally carry your firearm concealed.

- According to one NES'r and one NES'r/FFL, it permits you to transfer a firearm, including sell to an FFL.

- According to one NES'r, it permits you to purchase a firearm.

- However, according to one NES'r/FFL it does not permit you to sell a firearm.

Is this one of those "it depends on the gunshop" YMMV kind of things?

Is the sale/purchase different if conducted through an FFL versus FTF?

Can a sale/purchase be made with an eFA10 (does the fancy schmancy software allow it)?

Thanks in advance for all the "IANAL but this was my experience" responses...

Gibbs, I would ammend your statement of "It allows you to carry your firearm concealed" to "It allows you to carry your firearm concealed unless the restrictions from your issuing authority forbid it"

Last edited:
Gibbs, I would ammend your statement of "It allows you to carry your firearm concealed" to "It allows you to carry your firearm concealed unless the restrictions your issuing authority forbids it"

Actually, the wording of the extension law allow carry without restrictions - though this, or the suitability implications, has not been tested in court.

Len - comments?

Actually, the wording of the extension law allow carry without restrictions - though this, or the suitability implications, has not been tested in court.

Len - comments?

Hmm. My wife's co-worker just dropped off his renewal packet and was told by the licensing officer that all his terms and conditions were still in effect until the renewal was processed.

- - - Updated - - -

Len - comments?

Hmm. My wife's co-worker just dropped off his renewal packet and was told by the licensing officer that all his terms and conditions were still in effect until the renewal was processed.

He no doubt believes that to be the case.

So whats the scoop with renewals? I was told 4-6 weeks about 7 weeks ago. I called down to Chelsea to find out what the scoop was and they said it was pending delivery on 8/6/15 I have been terrorizing the lady who deals with the licensing and she still hasn't received it. As far as I knew you could purchase firearms with the temp ID thing but that got shot down when we tried to enter the info into the system. So needless to say I have a Glock 23 sitting in a safe at the store that I bought and paid for almost 2 months ago that I cannot have.... I don't get it....

So whats the scoop with renewals? I was told 4-6 weeks about 7 weeks ago. I called down to Chelsea to find out what the scoop was and they said it was pending delivery on 8/6/15 I have been terrorizing the lady who deals with the licensing and she still hasn't received it. As far as I knew you could purchase firearms with the temp ID thing but that got shot down when we tried to enter the info into the system. So needless to say I have a Glock 23 sitting in a safe at the store that I bought and paid for almost 2 months ago that I cannot have.... I don't get it....

IFF your PD entered your renewal prior to expiration and it was done after 1/1/15, the system should allow transactions. I'd get on the phone with FRB and describe what you tried to do and what happened to them and they should be able to fix it from their end assuming the conditions in my first sentence were met.

I have been assured by Michaela that the software was set up to work. The key issue is "when did the PD enter your info in MIRCS"?

Back
Top Bottom