Laser Engraving--2A Engraving, Epping NH (Fantastic Outfit)

If you have a pile of SBR lowers, the engraving will pay for itself
Interesting catch-22. If you already have the Form 1 approved and live in MA you need an approved 5320.20 to take it to NH, however, it does not become an actual SBR until you have manufactured it. I assume engraving your name or trust name could be considered the manufacture, so you enter NH with a lower that does not require a 5320.20 and leave with one that does. Obviously not an issue if you have the engraving done before the Form 1 is approved.

Interesting catch-22. If you already have the Form 1 approved and live in MA you need an approved 5320.20 to take it to NH, however, it does not become an actual SBR until you have manufactured it. I assume engraving your name or trust name could be considered the manufacture, so you enter NH with a lower that does not require a 5320.20 and leave with one that does. Obviously not an issue if you have the engraving done before the Form 1 is approved.
It is only an NFA item when in NFA configuration. No different than people taking an SBR and removing the stock to reinstall a brace.
Now it’s a pistol and can freely cross state lines as long as it’s legal in whichever state you go to.

In this case you could just bring the lower receiver assembly to get engraved and reassemble when you get back to your state without doing a 5320.20

Yes, I knew that but I thought he has a pretty low power unit for mostly plastics and the like.

His machine couldn't do wood but I can ask if he does various metals and 'alloys' ;)

He does NFA engraving on lowers

SOrry, I probably shouldn't be encroaching on teh 2A engraving thread, since I know they do a great business too and have lots of positive reviews

Yes, I knew that but I thought he has a pretty low power unit for mostly plastics and the like.

His machine couldn't do wood but I can ask if he does various metals and 'alloys' ;)

I can engrave metal. I do it all the time.

It's not a power issue, it's the type of laser. The1064nm wavelength doesn't play nice with wood.

The1064nm wavelength doesn't play nice with wood.
Exactly, Fiber Lasers (i.e. 1064nm wavelength) pose a serious fire hazard when trying to work with wood. Because of its short wavelength, a 1024nm laser can partially transmit through organic materials like wood. However, because of the differences within the wood itself, this transmission is impossible to control and you'll get heat build up that can eventual cause the wood to ignite. Even if it doesn't burst into flame, you'll get a poor marking/engraving since it will be very inconsistent due to the variations in how the wood absorbs/transmits the 1024nm energy.

Exactly, Fiber Lasers (i.e. 1064nm wavelength) pose a serious fire hazard when trying to work with wood. Because of its short wavelength, a 1024nm laser can partially transmit through organic materials like wood. However, because of the differences within the wood itself, this transmission is impossible to control and you'll get heat build up that can eventual cause the wood to ignite. Even if it doesn't burst into flame, you'll get a poor marking/engraving since it will be very inconsistent due to the variations in how the wood absorbs/transmits the 1024nm energy.
Yup. I've tried it. It came out looking like I did it with a lighter.

Back
Top Bottom