LA Sheriff says no carryin while drinkin

Nov 11, 7:58 AM EST

Sheriff to ban deputies from mixing drinking, guns

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The sheriff of Los Angeles County plans to prohibit his off-duty deputies from carrying their guns while drinking because several have been accused in recent years of firing weapons while intoxicated.

Sheriff Lee Baca says there has been a disturbing rise in alcohol-fueled misbehavior among his deputies.

Since 2004, more than a dozen deputies have been accused of brandishing or shooting a gun while under the influence of alcohol. More than 60 have been arrested this year on alcohol-related charges, most for driving under the influence and most of them armed at the time.

The deputies' union opposes the restriction. Union leader Steve Remige says it would let criminals know that deputies who had put them away would at times be unarmed.

---

Information from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com

© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.
[Get Copyright Permissions]

Maybe he should just fire the irresponsible drunks.

But they are good officers! I promise! Anyone who drinks a lot is bound it screw up something, we'll give them another chance (or two or three; I mean they didn't kill anyone did they?). [rofl]

And this in a State that won't allow civilians to carry because they may do something dangerous. [rolleyes]As a union employee/former union leadership, I am usually behind most of what they fight for, but this is one case where the union should bite the proverbial bullet (pun intended) and agree to fix this.

So....if you have an axe to grind with a particular cop, sounds like the best thing to do is catch him at the watering hole. Smart.

In Washington State you couldn't carry a firearm into any tavern or saloon, CCW or no. If you worked in one you could get permission from the local police which I did, though I kept it in the office. (I moonlighted for a while to pay for a new Hi-Power and didn't like the notion of leaving the place at 3am unarmed and would never leave a weapon in a car.)

IAW Scriv, alcohol + guns = bad outcomes.

And this in a State that won't allow civilians to carry because they may do something dangerous. [rolleyes]As a union employee/former union leadership, I am usually behind most of what they fight for, but this is one case where the union should bite the proverbial bullet (pun intended) and agree to fix this.

CA as a state does allow CCW. The problem is it's not forced shall issue, so it has the same problems MA does, except worse. (Sheriffs generally control
licensing in CA... )

-Mike

It just hardly seems like a situation one would have to have an actual RULE about.

If you're going to drink to the point of intoxication, leave your gun at home. What's so hard about the concept?

So....if you have an axe to grind with a particular cop, sounds like the best thing to do is catch him at the watering hole. Smart.

I think most cops would carry anyway, lots of regular people carry in bars and other places they should not without front page results. I think the Sheriff is removing the blanket from those officers who think they are above and beyond. He has to do something with the 60+ bad boys. :)

I think most cops would carry anyway, lots of regular people carry in bars and other places they should not without front page results. I think the Sheriff is removing the blanket from those officers who think they are above and beyond. He has to do something with the 60+ bad boys. :)

Look Pal, if you are trying to imply that a level headed person without anger "issues" is capable of carrying a concealed gun while he goes out in public and has a drink or two to enjoy with his dinner, and then goes home without getting into a public brawl, is perfectly ok in your book, while the hothead that gets stupid drunk and only THEN is pushed to the limit and shoots up some obviously aggressive bar mirror should be presecuted just like one of US would, then we are in agreement. :) For the majority of the officers (the ones that that DON'T go around shooting street signs or ex girlfriends while drunk) noone will ever know they bent that particular rule.

Back
Top Bottom