Knives becoming weapon of choice in Gemme's Worcester

http://www.telegram.com/article/20081012/NEWS/810120584/1116

Ban assault knives -- its for the children! And, get the AG to publish a list of approved knives in Mass!

Weapon of choice

‘What we’re seeing is a crisis’

By Scott Croteau TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

WORCESTER— Decades ago a feud could be solved with a good old fistfight.

More recently, ongoing disputes were handled with guns as evidenced by gang shootings.

But in the past 18 months, in this city of 176,000, bullets and bare knuckles have given way to 4- or 5- or 6-inch blades. The use of knives in crimes is up 9.5 percent to 231 instances, through Aug. 31, compared with the same period in 2007, while the use of guns in crimes fell 16.8 percent to 94 instances in the same period, according to Worcester police.

Shootings are steadily declining, and knives are becoming the weapons of choice.

Those figures don’t include the latest spate of knife violence. Within the past three weeks, three people have been stabbed to death. A fourth was killed earlier this year by a stab wound to the leg. Of the five murders in the city this year, only one was a fatal shooting.

In 2007, of the city’s five murders, two were shootings and one was a stabbing, police said. The others were strangulation and personal weapon (shaken baby). In 2006, no knives were used in the city’s six murders; guns were used in three, according to Federal Bureau of Investigation figures. Weapons used in the other three murders were fire, blunt object and “not known.”

“What we’re seeing is a crisis,” Police Chief Gary J. Gemme said. “We need the entire criminal justice system to see it as a crisis.”

Both police and the Worcester District Attorney’s Office see the rise in the use of knives in crimes as an urgent situation.

Now, a state criminal statute, seldom used in recent years and whose roots trace back to passage in 1906, will be applied and enforced in cases where people are fighting or causing chaos while carrying a knife. The statute, under the Crimes Against Public Peace, Section 10 of Chapter 269, General Laws of Massachusetts, lists a number of weapons, including different types of knives and odd and rarely used weapons.

The defined list of weapons in the statute — and especially the list of knives — leaves some loopholes. Authorities have a plan to close the loophole with an ordinance used in other Massachusetts cities fining people for carrying knives and other weapons.

Police Department officials met with Worcester District Attorney staff, and Chief Gemme spoke with Worcester District Attorney Joseph D. Early Jr. last week about enforcing the state statute and crafting the ordinance.

“What we want to do is get rid of the perception that it is all right to carry a knife, and get the message to the young kids that it is not OK to have a knife in your possession,” Mr. Early said.

“I have spoken to city councilors and we are working with the chief on an ordinance to heighten awareness and bring more attention to the fact that knives are a problem and we want to get them off the streets,” Mr. Early said.

Police officers will undergo orientations so they better understand and apply the state statute.

“We’re going to start implementing it is as soon as possible,” Chief Gemme said.

The criminal charge of carrying a weapon during crimes against the peace used to be a charge quickly dismissed.

“We now need to educate all those involved in the criminal justice system that the carrying of knives is significantly increasing,” the chief said.

Assistant district attorneys working in Mr. Early’s office are aware of the rising trend in the use of knives. They’ve received instructions from Mr. Early.

“Now any stabbing that comes in, we’re going to focus on it immediately to see if it should go to Superior Court,” Mr. Early said. “We want to send a clear and loud message that stabbings won’t be tolerated.”

When police respond to knife attacks, the outlook is grim. Some victims have come close to dying, but medical personnel in the city kept them alive. Both the district attorney and police chief praised the medical facilities in the city for saving several victims.

Other cases end in tragedy.

What begin as arguments escalate to fighting and a knife is pulled by the alleged assailants. A fight inside a North Ashland Street apartment spiraled into a deadly fight on the street.

William L. Smith, a 19-year-old Becker College student, was cut once, then moments later stabbed fatally through the heart.

A similar scenario occurred more than a week ago. A group of friends were drinking at a home at 77 North St. Words were exchanged and two men went outside to fight.

Jean H. Mathieu Jr. had his fists. Police say Sylvanus Jacob Barjolo had a knife. He allegedly stabbed Mr. Mathieu several times, causing fatal wounds.

Two days after the North Street killing, a mentally ill man walked inside a three-decker apartment building at 10 Lancaster St. He randomly picked a second-floor apartment door and jiggled the handle.

When Shelleigh Wilcox answered the door, Benjamin L. Makinen allegedly stabbed her to death.

“What we have seen is the number of crimes committed with guns going down,” Mr. Early said. “Not taking anything away from guns, but we have to focus on the knives more and give attention to knives being used in crimes.”

Mr. Early drew a distinction between a murder involving a gun and one that utilizes a knife.

“You can argue a stabbing or something with a knife is more personal,” he said. “You have to be close to the person.”

Chief Gemme said that this year the city is on pace to have the lowest level of gun violence in its history. But knife use continues to trend upward.

“We’ve seen a dramatic increase in the past 18 months,” Chief Gemme said. “A lot of these knife assaults and homicides begin with a verbal argument, then there is physical violence and someone is seriously stabbed.”

Knives are easier to conceal than guns, police said. Knives are more accessible and there have been no consequences to carrying one — something that will change when authorities begin aggressively pursuing the crimes against public peace statute.

“They are easy to conceal and unless this charge is levied there are no consequences,” the chief said.

Some criminals are smart, Mr. Early said. A convicted felon caught with a gun can face serious state and federal charges.

“They are well aware of the fact that the gun will put them in jail a lot longer than a knife will,” Mr. Early said.

The crime of carrying a knife during a breach of the public peace is a misdemeanor. If a convicted felon is found guilty of the crime, however, the charge bumps up to a felony with a longer criminal sentence.

Earlier in the decade, Boston dealt with the same problem — people carrying knives and using them during crimes. In 2001, Boston passed an ordinance fining violators a maximum of $300 for carrying certain types of knives.

It was a successful deterrent, Mr. Early said.

The proposed Worcester ordinance will address knives with blades 2-1/2 inches long or longer and knives not listed in the state statute.

Authorities are not going after people hunting, fishing or those who use knives during work, Mr. Early stressed.

Authorities want to deter and go after the gang members, drug dealers and others committing “bad acts.” Box cutters are being used sometimes and causing significant damage. Those could also be addressed in the proposed city ordinance.

“You can’t make too many valid arguments for carrying a 6-inch blade in your pocket in downtown Worcester on a Saturday night,” Mr. Early said.

If these strategies don’t work, the district attorney’s office and Police Department will seek other enforcement options that could include legislation strengthening penalties in knife crimes or for carrying a knife.

“Hopefully these (the state charge and planned ordinance) will act as a deterrent,” Chief Gemme said.

Last edited:
Stabbings have always outnumbered shootings, nothing new here. Worcester's still a crime ridden dump, again, nothing new.

Maybe banning sharp sticks and stout objects will help... [hmmm]

MA is sounding more and more like the UK everyday... ban sharp objects... brilliant, that'll solve all of the cities problems.

I remember reading some years ago that, somewhere in the UK, glass beer mugs were exchanged for plastic, due to a spate of pub violence.

We are following in the same path as the effete nations of Europe.

Earlier in the decade, Boston dealt with the same problem — people carrying knives and using them during crimes. In 2001, Boston passed an ordinance fining violators a maximum of $300 for carrying certain types of knives.

It was a successful deterrent, Mr. Early said.

yeah..and we all know how well that REALLY worked out....[thinking]

Its so tiresome, these foolish public officials actually think criminals care about their new 'law', when they are already breaking older laws! There is no logic in that line of thought.

Mr. Early said. “We want to send a clear and loud message that stabbings won’t be tolerated.”

And until now I thought stabbings were okay.

If the thugs are killing the thugs.....I dont see a problem here. The are solving our problem of over populated, law breaking citizens. Let not stop them until they are gone.....

If the thugs are killing innocent people, then those innocent people should have embraced the 2nd amendment[wink]

I think certain areas of Worcester may always be s dump.

“Not taking anything away from guns, but we have to focus on the knives more and give attention to knives being used in crimes.”​
No. What you have to do is focus on the violent acts themselves and stop playing legal whack-a-mole in some perverse obsession with the instrument rather than the actor and act.

So long as some people are larger than, or outnumber, others, the act of violence will remain entirely independent of the instrument. Is the world of Harrison Bergeron the ultimate, absurd goal of this obsession with removing the tools, rather than punishing the actor for the violence in and of itself?

Worcester Knife Crimes Surging

Any bets on if these bad press would help folks get LTC-A, w/o restrictions?

Worcester hoping to stem surge in knife crimes

October 12, 2008

WORCESTER, Mass. --Knives are increasingly becoming the weapon of choice in Worcester.

The use of knives in crimes is up nearly 10 percent during the first eight months of the year compared with the same period in 2007.

During the same period the use of guns fell nearly 17 percent.

The statistics don't include three fatal stabbings in the past three weeks. A fourth killing this year was also the result of a stabbing. Of the five murders in Worcester this year, only one was the result of shooting.

Police say they are hoping to use a law dating back a century that bars the possession of a knife while fighting or causing chaos.

In 2001, Boston passed an ordinance fining violators $300 for carrying certain kinds of knives during crimes.

------

Information from: Telegram & Gazette, http://www.telegram.com

Source: http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...rcester_hoping_to_stem_surge_in_knife_crimes/

Lynn, Revere and I think Chelsea have knife ordinances limiting length. I was on a website one day and besides the usual list of things they wouldn't ship to MA was a list of knife restrictions to those communities. I know for a fact Lynn has a restriction, not sure about the other 2.

With the influx of people from central and south america, you see a rise in things like machete attacks and other similar crimes. It is the weapon of choice IMHO.

Remember the 21 foot rule.... or as it is known to LEO's the Tueller rule, if someone has a knife and gets closer than 21 feet to your position, there is a good chance they will get to you before you can get unholstered and get a shot off. Assuming you have a chambered round of course. REMEMBER the 21 foot rule is for those who have been trained, and there are new opinions that even trained LEO's are not giving themselves sufficient reaction time at 21 foot separation. As for me, I consider anyone with an edged weapon within 50 feet a threat since they can be thrown with deadly consequences. I just hope to never have to prove that to a Jury... anyone have Massad Ayoobs number?

the 21-Foot Rule, when accurately stated, says that in the time it takes the average officer to recognize a threat, draw his sidearm and fire 2 rounds at center mass, an average subject charging at the officer with an edged weapon can cover a distance of 21 feet. Thus, when dealing with an edged-weapon wielder at anything less than 21 feet you need to have your gun out and ready to shoot before he starts rushing you or else you risk being set upon and injured or killed before you can draw your sidearm and effectively defeat the attack
http://www.policeone.com/writers/columnists/force-science/articles/102828/

Last edited:
How many people here carry a knife as a backup or when not able to CCW? With all of these local ordinances, what is the chance that someone who is legally able to CCW, gets nailed with a weapons charge for carrying a buck-knife while legally carrying a handgun? There is no provision/CCW license for carrying knives so...

How many people here carry a knife as a backup or when not able to CCW? With all of these local ordinances, what is the chance that someone who is legally able to CCW, gets nailed with a weapons charge for carrying a buck-knife while legally carrying a handgun? There is no provision/CCW license for carrying knives so...

There's no law against carrying knives in the commonwealth, so unless the knife you're carrying violates MGL (eg, you're carrying an auto knife, etc. ) I don't see how they could "charge" you with carrying a knife.

If you're talking about Boston's silly knife ordinance, IIRC it's not even a felony or misdemeanor, and is basically some kind of infraction with a fine stuck onto it. (If I'm wrong, someone correct me, but I've never seen a criminal penalty applied in these ordinances. )

-Mike

So this moron of a Cheif has people in his city which he has sworn to protect, getting violently assaulted and yet he still prevents them from protecting themselves...

That right there tells you all you need to know about that loser waste of life Gemme.

So this moron of a Cheif has people in his city which he has sworn to protect, getting violently assaulted and yet he still prevents them from protecting themselves...

That right there tells you all you need to know about that loser waste of life Gemme.

Derek, we civilised folk here in MA choose to discourage self help. [puke]

Well this was all very predictable huh?

I don't suppose England could have shown us the way?

Gemme is a dirtbag. One more "Only One" with an ass 5 times the size of his head.

That about sums it up!!!

When will the billboard outside of Fenway condemn straw purchases of knives? And when are they going to link Gun Shows to the knife wielding community... [rolleyes]

"How many more, Mr. Speaker! How many more innocent lives must be taken by knives!"

“You can’t make too many valid arguments for carrying a 6-inch blade in your pocket in downtown Worcester on a Saturday night,”​

He better check with Crocodile Dundee first.

carrying a knife during a breach of the public peace is a misdemeanor​

I better try to check on the exact wording of this before going out on a limb.

I suspect that this is easy to charge by the police, but don't we need a precise definition of "breach of the public peace". Surely, just carrying can't be it.

Interesting use of "during" if it just means a temporal association. It wouldn't be right, if you walk past two fellows in a fight, and you get charged for the knife carrying (even though it remained sheathed) because it was "during" the breach.

Anyone want to organize an
Open Sword Carry Day in Worcester
for Gemme's benefit?

You've got to have pretty big pockets for a knife with a 6 inch blade. You've got to figure the handle is another 3 or four inches. That's about ten inches worth of knife. I dont have any pockets that would fit my KA-BAR in it. Of course, I don't shop at thugs "r" us with the rest of those neanderthalls.

And another thing. What kind of logic is it where you come to the conclusion that people stopped carrying guns and started carrying knives because there was little or no penalty for carrying a knife, and you decide to curb violence by making it a penalty to carry a knife. Now at first that sounds like a pretty decent idea right? But then it hits you like a ton of bricks. If I'm going to get in trouble for carrying a knife and I'm a bad guy, well I might as well go big or go home, and get back to carrying my gun around before I get into a knife fight with someone better.

Last edited:
It isn't a stretch at all to assume that people will go to the next easily available weapon of choice if their access to the preferred weapon is restricted, either by law or by situation. Plus a knife is silent, those high tech gunfire detection systems they use in Boston are useless against a knife, club, tire iron, baseball bat, etc.

There is no one year mandatory for carrying a knife, they are easily obtainable, cripes a box cutter was the weapon of choice that changed the world as we knew it. It is only a crime in certain communities if the length is illegal or it is a double edged weapon. I'm pretty sure the penalty is nowhere near a year in jail.

BTW previous discussion on the knife topic... http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37516

Back
Top Bottom