Knives becoming weapon of choice in Gemme's Worcester

It isn't a stretch at all to assume that people will go to the next easily available weapon of choice if their access to the preferred weapon is restricted, either by law or by situation. Plus a knife is silent, those high tech gunfire detection systems they use in Boston are useless against a knife, club, tire iron, baseball bat, etc.

There is no one year mandatory for carrying a knife, they are easily obtainable, cripes a box cutter was the weapon of choice that changed the world as we knew it. It is only a crime in certain communities if the length is illegal or it is a double edged weapon. I'm pretty sure the penalty is nowhere near a year in jail.

BTW previous discussion on the knife topic... http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37516

Stretch to assume? Hardly. Take a look at England if you want to validate your theory. It's an object lesson of how criminals will simply substitute weapons. Economists call this the substitution effect.

IIRC double edged knives are illeagle here in mass. sorry if im wrong but i do believe that they are

Yes.

MGL - Chapter 269: Section 10

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

Here's a novel idea, how about cracking down on murder, assault, gang violence etc., put the thugs in prison and not get so hung up on the criminals chosen toolset.

That might work, if not for the fact that many of those beds in prison are already occupied by grown men doing huge sentences for selling other grown men "evil" substances that they put into their own bodies of their own volition. Far better to keep them locked away than to make room for those who forcibly insert other substances into other people's bodies against their will, like lead or steel.

[rolleyes]

“A lot of these knife assaults and homicides begin with a verbal argument, then there is physical violence and someone is seriously stabbed.”

Well, there's the whole problem right there. Something has to be done to stop these people from arguing. Then they can stab each other humorously.

DA, police to combat knife attacks with old law

Worcester Telegram

WORCESTER— At a time when authorities are saying knife attacks are on the rise, police are investigating an attack Sunday night on Pleasant Street in which three men were stabbed.

Two men suffered serious stab wounds to the stomach, but the injuries do not appear to be life-threatening.

According to Detective Capt. Edward J. McGinn Jr., police were called to the area of 43 Pleasant St. at 11:12 p.m. for a report of a fight. Police arrived and a group of people told officers someone had been stabbed.

Officers found a 17-year-old city teenager suffering from a serious stab wound to the stomach not far from City Hall. He was taken to UMass Memorial Medical Center — University Campus. The stab wound doesn’t appear to be life-threatening.

Police reports said there were 20 to 30 people outside on Pleasant Street, many of them fighting. An argument involving two groups of people started inside Tammany Hall during a music performance, the captain said. Someone was struck and the groups then went outside to fight.

“It appears that one person was struck inside the place, causing a fight outside the bar,” Capt. McGinn said.

Four men injured in the fight were driven by friends to St. Vincent Hospital.

Police found a 23-year-old city man had been stabbed in the stomach. He was originally in bad condition, but authorities said his injury appears not to be life-threatening.

Another person, a 20-year-old Framingham man, was stabbed in the leg. Two other men, a 25-year-old and a 23-year-old, both from the city, also were injured.

Two people were arrested after they were seen fighting on Pearl Street.

“There were people arrested but we are investigating to see if they were involved in the initial fight,” Capt. McGinn said.

Shane Phillips, 17, of Framingham, was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

Andrew Compere, 17, of Framingham, was charged with assault and battery on a police officer, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and vandalism. Police said he struck an officer and broke a side mirror on a police cruiser.

The Police Department and Worcester district attorney’s office are implementing strategies to handle crimes involving knives.

A state criminal statute, rarely used, will be applied and enforced in cases in which people are fighting or causing other disorder while carrying a knife. The two agencies also are crafting a city ordinance — which would have to be approved by the City Council — that would fine people for carrying certain types of knives.

Both Police Chief Gary J. Gemme and Worcester District Attorney Joseph D. Early Jr. said shootings are down in the city, but something needs to be done to curtail the increase of knife attacks. In recent weeks, three people have been stabbed to death.

“I think in part it is just unfortunate these are coming back to back,” Capt. McGinn said of the recent incidents. “None are related to each other. The fact is we are seeing more and more people carrying knives.”

Authorities said they are not looking to go after the people hunting, fishing or carrying knives for work reasons. Police are finding many of the knives used in attacks are not jackknives or Swiss Army knives. Many have long blades and serrated edges.

“Many people are carrying knives for legitimate reasons,” Capt. McGinn said. “But I can’t see any real reason someone would carry a knife to a bar.”

According to police, there were 85 knife attacks in 2006 and 118 in 2007. Not including Sunday night’s incident, there have been 88 knife attacks so far this year in the city.

A comparison from the first eight months of 2007 and 2008 shows the increase in knife attacks has been 27 percent. There could be 132 knife attacks in the city this year if the trend continues at the same pace.

“We need to bring it to the forefront and make the public aware of the severity of the problem,” Chief Gemme said. “Hopefully we can reverse the trend with these new strategies.”

“You can’t make too many valid arguments for carrying a 6-inch blade in your pocket in downtown Worcester on a Saturday night,” Mr. Early said

I'm pretty sure there were atleast 5 good reasons in that article for me to carry a big-ass knife everywhere I go in my hometown. Especially when im not old enough for an LTC yet, and even when i DO turn 21, I probably won't get one I can carry with anyway.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure there were atleast 5 good reasons in that article for me to carry a big-ass knife everywhere I go in my hometown. Especially when im not old enough for an LTC yet, and even when i DO turn 21, I probably won't get one I can carry with anyway.

You could also carry spray. It's "shall issue".

You could also carry spray. It's "shall issue".

I know. I have an FID.

If someone is intent on doing me harm, I'd rather do something other than season him a little, though.

And even if I did carry spray, my point still stands that, with violence apparently rampant in the city, I have a VERY legitimate reason to want to carry a lethal-force option on my person.

Ordinance on knives offered

By Scott J. Croteau TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
[email protected]

24 comments | Add a comment

WORCESTER— A city ordinance regulating knife possession will be presented tomorrow to the City Council.

The ordinance, developed by the Police Department, Worcester District Attorney’s office and city officials, would fine people $300 for carrying knives.

Over the past two months, there has been an upward trend in stabbings and other attacks in the city during which assailants used knives. Several attacks have led to deaths.

In response to the increased use of knives, the Police Department and Worcester District Attorney’s office have been criminally charging people with carrying a dangerous weapon during a breach of the peace.

Over the past few weeks, several people have been stabbed outside bars during fights.

Last month, a Becker College student was stabbed to death, one of three people killed by a knife during the past two months.

“We’re trying to get the kids out of the mindset that it is OK to carry a knife,” Worcester District Attorney Joseph D. Early Jr. said.

“We’re planting a seed. We’ve have such a problem with knives being used in crimes we have to deal with it in a harsh manner.”

Any knife with a blade larger than one-and-a-half inches would be illegal to carry under the proposed ordinance.

There are exceptions, however, such as knives used for hunting, fishing or for work.

People taking a knife home after just buying it, or taking it to be fixed, could also carry it under the proposed ordinance. The ordinance would not apply to businesses involved in selling knives for trade, sport or hobby.

Another section of the ordinance states that no one can give or deliver a knife to someone younger than 18.

It does not prohibit parents, grandparents or siblings 18 and older, however, from selling, giving or delivering a knife to their children, grandchildren or siblings.

Mr. Early said knife ordinances in other communities, such as Boston, were reviewed. He said he understands that the only penalty called for by the ordinance is a fine, but noted that it is being created as a way to shift the mindset people have about carrying knives for nefarious reasons.

There is no need to carry a knife to a bar or when someone is out late at night, he said. Knives are a very personal weapon, he said.

The knife attacks constitute an “epidemic” right now in the city, the district attorney said.

Police Chief Gary J. Gemme called the ordinance another tool to “assist us with this escalation of knife crimes and knife assaults.”

Along with the ordinance and the use of the criminal law, Chief Gemme has placed a Fall Impact Program — a group of 18 additional officers — out on the streets at night.

The fall program is a continuation of the summer program, in which a patrol is added late at night into the early morning. The summer was quiet this year in the city, but September and October have been violent.

The additional patrols will continue until Nov. 30.

The Police Department also has an Anti-Crime Team, officers working bar details and regular patrols watching bars and other areas where attacks have occurred.

Chief Gemme said he hopes the strategies and the change in the weather will work to decrease violent attacks.

Police officials are projecting 148 stabbings by year’s end if the trend continues.

The criminal law now being applied by police and prosecutors does include a limited list of knives.

People carrying only certain types of knives — as listed in the statute — can be charged with the carrying a weapon during a breach of the peace crime.

Mr. Early said yesterday the statute needs to be re-examined because people are carrying knives with smaller blades or other dangerous items, such as box cutters.

That will show those violent criminals assaulting people with knives.

They won't listen to the law against assault with a deadly weapon, attempted murder, or murder, but damn they sure will listen to this new knife ordnance. [rofl]

Gemme = Toolbox

Impossible, people are killing each other without guns? This article would lead me to believe that guns aren't the source of violence, but come on, we all know John Rosenthal told us without guns there would be no violence. And he wouldn't lie to us...would he?

So, does that mean I now have to leave my folder at home when I go to the Dick's in Worcester? I guess that just means I'll have to strap on a roscoe instead. [laugh]

The Police Department also has an Anti-Crime Team...

Brilliant! A group, within the police department, dedicated to fighting crime! This Gemme fellow is a genius! A genius I tell you!

the statute needs to be re-examined because people are carrying knives with smaller blades or other dangerous items, such as box cutters.

Well then, get ready to ban everything. I once beat the crap out of a guy with a bag of rice.

That will show those violent criminals assaulting people with knives.

They won't listen to the law against assault with a deadly weapon, attempted murder, or murder, but damn they sure will listen to this new knife ordnance. [rofl]

Gemme = Toolbox

Gotta disagree with you there Derek. Gemme is not just a tool, he's a wedge, the simplest of all tools.

Any knife with a blade larger than one-and-a-half inches would be illegal to carry under the proposed ordinance.​

It looks like OPEN SWORD CARRY in a scabbard on your belt is out in Worcester.

And here I thought that the MA DoR Article 17 mentions of "arms" was about (only) flintlocks and swords.

Someone ought to notify those Marines in dress uniform to give Worcester a wide berth.

Brilliant! A group, within the police department, dedicated to fighting crime! This Gemme fellow is a genius! A genius I tell you!

Well then, get ready to ban everything. I once beat the crap out of a guy with a bag of rice.

They need it to differentiate from the main function of the Worcester PD -- illegal use of overtime.

More screeners are needed- maybe one outside every residence in the state, sporadic checkpoints on sidewalks and roadways, and retail stores, etc, etc, etc-

Back
Top Bottom