Kahr PM9 vs CM9....what do you think??

Yeah, go figure. They're made in MA yet takes years to get a MA version and when it does come out they jack it up b/c of the "safety AG's features". Like...really?? Ah well.

Seems like everyone is extremely happy and confident with the PM9.
Don't blame Kahr. Blame the AG.

Yeah, go figure. They're made in MA yet takes years to get a MA version and when it does come out they jack it up b/c of the "safety AG's features". Like...really?? Ah well.

Seems like everyone is extremely happy and confident with the PM9.

Even worse, they're made in Worcester and it's a pretty pointless product for most Worcester residents since Herr Gemme won't let them carry.

Also, I agree with M1911. The gun is well made and probably as accurate as a gun that size can be. However, it's can be a tough gun to shoot because of the size.

Hi Everyone,

I keep hearing about Kahr pistols for CCW and I'm starting to buy into. Does anyone know if the Kahr CM9 is available in MA? I just saw on FS that the PM9 just got through, finally.

My big question is......is there a quality difference between the PM9 vs CM9? I'm only going to use for carrying.

I know the CM9 is cheaper but is the PM9 that much concealable due to it's more rounded features on the slide vs the CM9?

If anyone has pictures to compare that would help a great deal!

I'm still calling around to get some hands-on looks at the PM9. No shops have them in.

Thanks!
BW

Give North Shore Fire Arms a call. I was just there on my lunch break. The had a couple of Kahrs on the shelf. Can't remember they were PM9 or CM9

2012-05-02084433.jpg

2012-05-02084111.jpg

2012-05-02084137.jpg

2012-05-02084156.jpg

2012-05-02084208.jpg

2012-05-02084235.jpg

Awesome pics!! Now it's just finding one at a shop to handle before pulling the trigger and buying one.

They're both the same size and I'd wager the reliability is the same. I don't see how the CM9 would be less concealable assuming both are in the same pocket holster.

I have a PM9 and I'd have bought the CM9 if it were out then.

EDIT: I should have stated why I'd pick the CM9 over the PM9. The reason is that these aren't fun guns. They serve a purpose and that's to sit in a person's pocket and be ready to go if needed. The PM9 costs more and is finished a bit nicer, but who cares? I'd rather apply the cost difference to something else.
One has Conventional rifling and the other has "glock" or polygonal. I have hear nightmare storys of the CW series. I went with PM9 and it is reliable and accurate. I just wish i had smaller hands hah.

Kahrtalkdotcom has a simple solution for Kahr mags that don't drop free. You need to slightly squeeze the mag body in one spot. It took me 5-7 minutes per mag using bench vice and piece of crap $7.99 digital calipers. I knew about the issue before I bought the PM9 and tweaked the mags before making the first shot.

The real reason People have trouble with PM9 or Kahr is cuz Kahr accually puts the magazine release in the correct spot but ppl can keep their hands off the backside of the mag release. same with ppl going "oh the pistol jammed... no if u keep you fat booger hooks off the slide stop it wont!" lmao recent events and yes he had fat hands...

I have a PM9 and am very happy with it. I carry it in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster.

It is surprisingly accurate and I have no issues with the recoil. If the weather allows, I still prefer to carry my 229 or a 1911, but if it is hot outside I can just drop the Kahr into my pocket and I am good to go. Yes, I prefer a bigger gun but the convenience factor of the Kahr is huge.

Cost is always an issue, but good gear is expensive and usually worth it. I got mine from Adam at Acme Armament. I don't remember exactly what I paid for it but know it was a fair price and a good value.

Great write up. I was wondering this earlier today and couldn't find a picture. I think this is another case of, "you get what you pay for." Why go cheap on a CCW? That's what I never understood. When the Bodyguard's first came out no one had them in stock. I had no idea why they were selling so fast. S&W made a bad choice producing that gun. But if it works for you, then shoot it and carry it with your life. Maybe I'm just an a**hole sometimes on here.

They're both the same size and I'd wager the reliability is the same. I don't see how the CM9 would be less concealable assuming both are in the same pocket holster.

I have a PM9 and I'd have bought the CM9 if it were out then.

EDIT: I should have stated why I'd pick the CM9 over the PM9. The reason is that these aren't fun guns. They serve a purpose and that's to sit in a person's pocket and be ready to go if needed. The PM9 costs more and is finished a bit nicer, but who cares? I'd rather apply the cost difference to something else.

I was told the CM9 is not Mass compliant. Is this true? Would I have to buy used?

Yes. Check the Approved Firearms Roster: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/approved-weapons-roster-4-2012.pdf

As you can see, the CM9 is not on it. Therefore, it is not approved.

You would either need to find a dealer who will sell you something not on the list or buy one used. Your chances of finding a used CM9 are slim. Just buy a PM9 and be done with it.

Even the PM9 has all the MA crap: External safety, LCI, heavier trigger. http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM9-w-External-Safety-and-LCI.asp

PM9 free state model: http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM9.asp

What shops have a CM9 in stock around eastern massachusetts?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. Check the Approved Firearms Roster: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/approved-weapons-roster-4-2012.pdf

As you can see, the CM9 is not on it. Therefore, it is not approved.

You would either need to find a dealer who will sell you something not on the list or buy one used. Your chances of finding a used CM9 are slim. Just buy a PM9 and be done with it.

Weird thing: The roster has the "M9093"model 9mm on the list. The Kahr website uses the code "CM9093" sku for the CM9.

Uness Kahr makes a CM9 with LCI and external safety, you'll never see one for sale in the MA retail market. The PM9's reputation is so good that I think the CM9 would be a great CCW for a larger hand.

They are all small guns and every small gun is some kind of a compromise. At least with a PM9 you're not in .380 land though.

Don't get me wrong I would still use a .380 vs nothing, but its not my first choice.

I tried a Bodyguard .380 and it was not comfortable for me at all. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I really don't want to train all the time to get a peashooter to be useful to me, so I figured I would go for something a bit bigger and with a bit more bang power.

I tried a Bodyguard .380 and it was not comfortable for me at all. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I really don't want to train all the time to get a peashooter to be useful to me, so I figured I would go for something a bit bigger and with a bit more bang power.

No offense to all the BG owners but there has been more problems with those than most other guns. The laser is just a cheap cat toy embedded in a horrible little .380 handgun. The accuracy is bad enough if you can even get it to function properly.

The bodyguard sights for me were dead on accurate. No poblems with mine. The laser was off toward 8 O'clock by 3-4 inches @ 25 feet.

I think the whole point to the CM9 is that there is a quality compromise of sorts relating to fit and finish. How far that goes in terms of actual functuality and quality of parts within is unclear to me.

I've heard people talk about the milling to be rougher on the CM slides. The engraving is obviously not as neat and deep as on the PM.

My beef is that you can't find a CM in Massachusetts, otherwise I'd own one. As it is, I'm still figuring on saving money for the PM as I've pretty much spent my allotment this year on gun gear. I can't really justify a $750 dollar pistol when I've got a perfectly functioning PPS .40, though the PM40 I checked out today with the pinky mag felt pretty darn good in my hand and the trigger seemed decent, too.

They are all small guns and every small gun is some kind of a compromise. At least with a PM9 you're not in .380 land though.

Yes, and I think it's crucial that people try one to make sure it would work for them. I was unsure until I tried the PPS .40, and I liked it. I have smallish hands, though, and that may actually make the gun easier for me to handle as opposed to a big ol' glock 19, or something.

I emailed Kahr earlier in the year and asked if they had plans on getting the CM9 Ma. approved. They answered, it was going to be addressed by maybe this October. Several months later I emailed the same question and the answer was that other products were ahead of the CM9 and it wouldn't be until next year most likely.

I am looking to buy a CM9 or similar 9mm for a CCW. I really like the CM9's features and don't want to spend all the cash for a PM9. I am reading good things about the CM9 but I am open to some of the negative points about it. The Glock 26 is a little fat to compare with this, so please try not to suggest one to me. I want to carry something under 16oz and this model is 2oz under that, the G26 is almost 20oz. The LC9 is awesome but the trigger is garbage and I don't feel like doing work to this handgun. Is the CM9 trigger crisp or is it gritty?
Thanks for all the input!

Back
Top Bottom