Kahr PM9 vs CM9....what do you think??

BW23

NES Member
Hi Everyone,

I keep hearing about Kahr pistols for CCW and I'm starting to buy into. Does anyone know if the Kahr CM9 is available in MA? I just saw on FS that the PM9 just got through, finally.

My big question is......is there a quality difference between the PM9 vs CM9? I'm only going to use for carrying.

I know the CM9 is cheaper but is the PM9 that much concealable due to it's more rounded features on the slide vs the CM9?

If anyone has pictures to compare that would help a great deal!

I'm still calling around to get some hands-on looks at the PM9. No shops have them in.

Thanks!
BW

They're both the same size and I'd wager the reliability is the same. I don't see how the CM9 would be less concealable assuming both are in the same pocket holster.

I have a PM9 and I'd have bought the CM9 if it were out then.

EDIT: I should have stated why I'd pick the CM9 over the PM9. The reason is that these aren't fun guns. They serve a purpose and that's to sit in a person's pocket and be ready to go if needed. The PM9 costs more and is finished a bit nicer, but who cares? I'd rather apply the cost difference to something else.

Last edited:
They're both the same size and I'd wager the reliability is the same. I don't see how the CM9 would be less concealable assuming both are in the same pocket holster.

I have a PM9 and I'd have bought the CM9 if it were out then.

EDIT: I should have stated why I'd pick the CM9 over the PM9. The reason is that these aren't fun guns. They serve a purpose and that's to sit in a person's pocket and be ready to go if needed. The PM9 costs more and is finished a bit nicer, but who cares? I'd rather apply the cost difference to something else.

That's what I was thinking. It's just a carry pistol. As long as it goes bang everytime i pull the trigger i don't care about the bells and whistles. But I did want something I can pocket carry like a Desantis Pocket Holster.

Do you carry in the pocket or waistband?

I ain't rich enough. If i was this would be a whole different thread!

If the money is an issue (and these days, it always is, or so it seems!) then the choice is sort of a self fulfilling prophecy. [grin] I think the CM9 will probably work fine for its intended purpose.

-Mike

I have a CM9 and just wanted to add that the magazines don't drop cleanly from the gun when ejected. I have about 6 magazines for it and only one drops out and even that one doesn't pop out as cleanly as I like.

I've read on Kahr forums that it's a common problem and some have worked on their mags to get them to drop out. I've decided I won't carry it because of that though. I think quick reloads are important in a carry gun. Otherwise the build quality seems good. It's not a fun shooter though but most pocket guns wouldn't be.

That's what I was thinking. It's just a carry pistol. As long as it goes bang everytime i pull the trigger i don't care about the bells and whistles. But I did want something I can pocket carry like a Desantis Pocket Holster.

Do you carry in the pocket or waistband?

I carry it in a Desantis Nemesis.

cm-chart.jpg

I bought my fiance the MK9, it shoots a hell of a lot more comfortably than the PM9s, which I don't think I'd ever buy. I haven't fired it yet, but I really like the shield, the MK9 may be getting sold for that.

Mike

If I were choosing this platform I would choose the CM9. I don't think I can justify the $221 difference. I'd get the CM9 and buy 2 more mags. Do you really need a match grade barrel in a CCW gun? I don't know, but I sure think I could buy a lot more ammo to make myself a lot better with it. My self I got the new Springfield XD-s for CCW. 6 rounds of .45 acp vs. 7 rounds of 9mm. I'll take the .45 and it's not that much bigger.

I bought my fiance the MK9, it shoots a hell of a lot more comfortably than the PM9s, which I don't think I'd ever buy. I haven't fired it yet, but I really like the shield, the MK9 may be getting sold for that.
I agree that the MK9 has significantly less felt recoil than the PM9. But I find the MK9 is just too heavy for comfortable pocket carry. The PM9 carries very well. So I carry the PM9 and put up with the recoil.

I have a PM9, and the six round magazine doesn't drop free when empty from it. For the money, I would get CM9. There have been a few reviews and reliability wise, CM9 is equal to PM9.

I have had my PM9 for pocket carry for 3 months now, and I really do like it.

VERY accurate for such a little gun, but that comes with a down side..... It is machined to very tight tolerances and requires 200 rounds to "break it in" I have 700 rounds through mine without any sort of failure.

I have also two issues 1. my rear sight became loose in the dovetail at 400 rounds and needed the dovetail adjusted. 2. 1 of my 3 mags was not dropping free and needed adjustment to do so

Overall Im glad I went with the pm9 and Kahr in general. I do seem myself adding a "mid size" for IWB carry at some point as the PM9 was purchased with the intent of pocket carry and is a little small for IWB

I had a PM9 which I sold and missed right away. I now have a CM9 and find it every bit as accurate and easy to conceal. The mags in my PM9 did drop free if I remember correctly and both mags in my CM9 drop free after a little tweaking. I did have a couple failures during break-in on the PM but have yet to have any issues with the CM. The machining on the PM9 barrel and slide were better but the CM9 is not bad at all. Go with the CM9. It's a better deal.

I carry my PM9 in my pocket. Summertime, no problem, drop it in your shorts pocket. Personally I find it very comfortable to shoot. If your a newbie to firearms I guess it would make you jump a little when fired. As for mags not dropping, if you are in a life threating situation and the 7 rounds is not enough, well, i rest my case.

My self I got the new Springfield XD-s for CCW. 6 rounds of .45 acp vs. 7 rounds of 9mm. I'll take the .45 and it's not that much bigger.

Come on down and let us try it :)

Back on topic, i can't justify buying a Pm9 for that kind of money.

Both the pm9 and sig 938 are in Boberg shorty territory , id rather buy a peice of art like the 9mm boberg than either of those.

Get the CM9,

Or take a look into a 238 like im doing now

I have a PM9, about 500 rds through it. No FTE's, FTF's from round one.It's consistently accurate as well. After the first two hundred rounds, field strip and clean it. Mine runs well on any ammunition, from cheap foreign ball ammo to top end JHP.No problems with the mags dropping freely. However, that slide's mighty taught and some folks have had problems with the first round going to battery if you put in a magazine and just rack the slide. You'll be better off to open and lock your slide, insert the mag, then release the slide forward. After that, it's Rock-ola like Pepsi-Cola. As far as holsters, I use a Desantis Super-Fly for back pocket use. The adjustable cover eliminates any printing. Don Hume makes an excellent IWB and Small of the Back. Desantis also makes a three slot pancake that works well for OWB. Just a FWI, whatever holster fits a Kel-Tec P-11 will fit the PM9...go figure.

Kahrtalkdotcom has a simple solution for Kahr mags that don't drop free. You need to slightly squeeze the mag body in one spot. It took me 5-7 minutes per mag using bench vice and piece of crap $7.99 digital calipers. I knew about the issue before I bought the PM9 and tweaked the mags before making the first shot.

BW23 said:
So for self defense carrying pistol it really doesn't matter, right?

Correct. Particularly for a pocket gun like a PM/MK/CM9 - you are not buying It for its accuracy (though my PM9 and MK9 are surprisingly accurate for their size).

I went with the PM9, but I live in a free state so I didn't have to pay the stupid MA price for it. Pretty sad since it's manufactured in MA.

Yeah, go figure. They're made in MA yet takes years to get a MA version and when it does come out they jack it up b/c of the "safety AG's features". Like...really?? Ah well.

Seems like everyone is extremely happy and confident with the PM9.

Back
Top Bottom