Just Sent FL Non Resident License. Anyone Else?

TWtommers

Instructor
NES Member
As the title says, I just sent in my application for a non resident permit to Florida today. I'm not really sure what to expect for timing. Anyone applied recently?

(BTW I searched the forum but only found response from around a year ago or more)

Mines been sitting on my desk, need to get fingerprinted and find a notary, hopefully get to it soon before I forget again. What did you do to get fingerprinted? Just call up your PD and ask, need it for this and was there a fee? Was wondering if they could just print up the prints they took for my ltc, if FL would even take those.

Mines been sitting on my desk, need to get fingerprinted and find a notary, hopefully get to it soon before I forget again. What did you do to get fingerprinted? Just call up your PD and ask, need it for this and was there a fee? Was wondering if they could just print up the prints they took for my ltc, if FL would even take those.

I emailed my PD. The chief emailed back and said it was $5 whenever an officer was around. Once I went in I noticed the sign in the window that said the same. Got mine notarized at work as a few people there are notaries.

Do you need to go through the same process after the Fla. license expires? Prints, notary, bla, bla. or is there a simpler process to renew out of state permits once you have one? how long is it good for?

They would have received my application about a week ago now. Here's hoping it's a quick turnaround as I was planning on going to FL for vacation later this year [grin]

Len, do you have to mail a request for their print cards? The ones from a MA pd are not the same, or acceptable for this purpose?

All forms I have filled out from FL came hardcopy from them. So I don't know if standard FBI cards will be acceptable. I recommend calling and asking them directly.

Sadly, those getting their FL NR cards wont be having Charles Bronson signing off on them. When I got my Resident license it was a long wait, of course it was just after Obama got elected and they were just getting swamped with requests and couldn't keep up.

When you call them, they are actually very cool and if you have a delay approaching the required time to get back, or over it, the Supervisor will just approve it on the spot and its off to be printed and stuff.

Well, nearly two weeks later they still haven't cash my check. There goes my hopes for a quick turnaround [wink] Hope I get it before my trip to FL in May.

My fingerprint card was sent back because the name of the PD wasn't on the back of the card, so I fixed that and sent it back in. It took a couple of months to come back the first time. Still haven't received the license yet. The check was cashed a while ago.

My fingerprint card was sent back because the name of the PD wasn't on the back of the card, so I fixed that and sent it back in. It took a couple of months to come back the first time. Still haven't received the license yet. The check was cashed a while ago.

Wow. That does not fill ke with confidence. Also not having good luck there with timing. I had my LTC in less time than both.

Wow. That does not fill ke with confidence. Also not having good luck there with timing. I had my LTC in less time than both.

Yeah, I felt the same. I'll post again when it finally gets here. The good news is that FL is very firearms friendly. At least they sent it back with instructions on what to fix.

Yowsah. I just called and got some horrifying news. I mailed the app on 3/9. They cashed the check on 3/25. Last week it was not in the system. Today it is in the system but not processed. I'm told they are back logged and the licenses are taking 8-10 weeks just to get processed. I'm hoping part of the 8-10 is time served in my case and that I get my license before my FL trip in mid May.

Question,
I only have NH and would consider other states LTC,but what good does it do for travel from the NH/Mass area? You still have to pass through NY and might even go through NJ (you could go around and into Pa),can you even bring a handgun through those states as a non resident?

Question,
I only have NH and would consider other states LTC,but what good does it do for travel from the NH/Mass area? You still have to pass through NY and might even go through NJ (you could go around and into Pa),can you even bring a handgun through those states as a non resident?

FOPA (Firearms Owners Protection Act) will cover the transportation of a firearm through any state as long as it is properly stored. However, stories abound of harassment and wrongful arrest of those abiding by the laws in both NY and NJ. Keep things well secured and well concealed, don't do anything stupid to get pulled over or allow a search of your vehicle and you're fine.

Personally, I'm applying for all the permits I can as I travel quite a bit for work. The non resident licenses will allow me to carry as I normally would while visiting those states. Don't forget that it's not all about driving. You can legally, and fairly easily, transport your firearms by commercial airline.

Thanks TWtomers,
I would like to use my carry in other states while I travel as well.It looks like NY (well there is NYC and Washington DC but one could drive around them) has the largest hurtle and does not really recognize the FOPA ( NJ does not either but one could drive out to PA).That kinda "land locks" us up here,for driving (flying is possible but hope there is no stop in NJ).

The NRA ILA site has some info,check out the NJ -and other restrictions

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=59

Here is the New York part-it seems they would require a registration card that you are competitor in a match,and less then 10 round mags ;

NEW YORK—Caution: New York state’s general approach is to make the possession of handguns and so-called “assault weapons” and “large capacity ammunition feeding devices” illegal and then provide exceptions that the accused may raise as “affirmative defenses” to prosecution. The only exceptions to the “assault weapons” and “large capacity” magazine bans are provisions which allow possession of otherwise banned items manufactured on or before September 13, 1994, or ammunition feeding devices “capable of operating only with .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.” The possession or transport of any other “assault weapon” or “high capacity” magazine is a felony. The prohibited ammunition feeding devices include not just magazines that have a capacity of more than 10 rounds but those “that can be readily restored or converted to accept more than 10 rounds.”

"A nonresident who “has in his possession a pistol license or firearms registration card issued in accordance with the laws of his place of residence” may transport a handgun to and from, and possess a handgun while attending, “an organized competitive pistol match or league competition” approved by or conducted under the auspices of the National Rifle Association or the International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association or at a “an organized convention or exhibition for the display of or education about firearms” approved by or conducted under the auspices of the NRA, so long as all of the following apply: (1) the person is a competitor in the match or a registered participant in the exhibition or display; (2) the possession occurs during or within 48 hours of the event; (3) the person has never been convicted of a felony or a crime that within New York would constitute a felony; and (4) the handgun is transported unloaded in an opaque container together with a copy of the match or exhibition program, schedule, or registration card"

Back
Top Bottom