• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just My 2 Cents About Ads

iofneedle

NES Member
Few things that bug me a little:

• Always post pictures, if possible.
  • Don't tell me what it cost new. It is not new. Seller drove it off the lot...now it's used.
  • Along the same lines, I am not interested in what seller paid for it
  • Price in the FFL transfer. "No more my FFL and buyer pays." I think if it is seller FFL, seller should pay. Get around that by adding another $25 to price. Seller look like a swell guy picking up the transfer.

Thanks for listening.

• Don't tell me what it cost new. It is not new. Seller drove it off the lot...now it's used.
  • Price in the FFL transfer. "No more my FFL and buyer pays." I think if it is seller FFL, seller should pay. Get around that by adding another $25 to price. Seller look like a swell guy picking up the transfer.

Thanks for listening.

That and, when you think you've listed the gun at a fair price, subtract $50. If you bump it more than once, the price is too high.

I find that information useful, ***IF*** they are talking street price at places like Four Seasons, decent internet sites, etc.

What is annoying is seeing someone offering something for $75 claiming it is $150 new when I can find it on a reputable site for $80 new.

I find that information useful, ***IF*** they are talking street price at places like Four Seasons, decent internet sites, etc.

What is annoying is seeing someone offering something for $75 claiming it is $150 new when I can find it on a reputable site for $80 new.

This indeed! I have looked at a number of ads thinking, "sounds like a decent deal but what can I buy for right now, only to find it, literally $10 cheaper, on $150 or $200 item."

This indeed! I have looked at a number of ads thinking, "sounds like a decent deal but what can I buy for right now, only to find it, literally $10 cheaper, on $150 or $200 item."

the art of the sale...start high with expectations of being negotiated to what you really wanted to get in the first place.

Thanks for listening.
This!!! [grin]

That and a general idea of where on the planet you are is nice.
And this!!! [grin]

So simple and yet so difficult (it seems) for a seller to look at these things from a potential buyer's point of view. [thinking]

What really bothers me are the sellers and buyers that do not leave any feedback on perfectly good transactions. My first (positive) deal was with a gentleman that has nine positive feedback comments but has only taken the trouble to leave one in return. My last (also positive) was with another nice guy that has 25 positive feedback comments and has only been able to leave three (edit: two) in return... [banghead] Of course, neither bothered to leave feedback for me. I have managed to leave seventeen and got ten in return. [hmmm] I know in the grand scheme of things this is not a big deal but it would be nice if there was some sense of honor/equality to take a few minutes to give honest positive feedback to the other person involved in stead of only collecting it for yourself.

What really bothers me are the sellers and buyers that do not leave any feedback on perfectly good transactions. My first (positive) deal was with a gentleman that has nine positive feedback comments but has only taken the trouble to leave one in return. My last (also positive) was with another nice guy that has 25 positive feedback comments and has only been able to leave three (edit: two) in return... [banghead] Of course, neither bothered to leave feedback for me. I have managed to leave seventeen and got ten in return. [hmmm] I know in the grand scheme of things this is not a big deal but it would be nice if there was some sense of honor/equality to take a few minutes to give honest positive feedback to the other person involved in stead of only collecting it for yourself.
Very common. It's why you should always check the feedback left for others if you want the full picture on how many deals a member has successfully done. [thumbsup]

Location, location, location. I've pretty much given up looking for stuff, since I have to wade through each ad, only to find out that it's in Mass. and I can't buy it there anyway (plus, MA prices are always waaaay higher).

This should be a no brainer, if a picture isn't posted I'm not buying.

If I see the "price new" it just tells me the seller is trying to justify his too high sales price.\

I look at this like a shipping fee and find it acceptable.

If I see the "price new" it just tells me the seller is trying to justify his too high sales price.\

I have listed what prices were new, but for opposite reasons. To highlight the good deal I was offering.

Like a pedestal sink?

Somewhere out there, there is a NES member that only logs in every 2 years that is desperately seeing a pedestal sink.

for sure, this ^

and what the hell does "south of boston", "north of boston", "metro west", "off of rt. 2" and the like mean to me? some serious liberties taken with the location descriptions.
Actually, that is still a whole lot better than nothing. I understand that some members don't wish to post their home town.

The last two things I was interested in from the classifieds turned out to be very far away... too far to make it worthwhile.

Even posting a region or general area would have helped in those cases.

Thanks for listening.

Amen - I see that in the ad I just move on to the next ad that catches my eye.

Sellers should also take the number of rounds fired minus all the FTFs and light strikes, divide by 10 and use that as the number of "flawless rounds threw it."

I only have two complaints regarding ads: No location & no price. Also violates the rules, so one could report such ads if one wanted to do so.

I agree with some of this and disagree with some.

Pictures are a must
General location is a must

I like to know the price the seller paid new and will look it up if the seller does not post it. Sure, some sellers overpaid when the purchased new, but it is a glimpse into what the seller has in his head with pricing.

I recently picked up a new Colt 1911. The seller bought it new and put 50 rounds through it. But he also sent it out for a reliability service, replaced the extractor, front fiber optic sight, bushing, polished the feed ramp, and he had it done by a well known gunsmith. So in my head, I know he dropped $350 bucks or so on the service. I paid him basically MSRP on a brand new gun. I thought it was a super deal and saved me having to send the gun out.
The way I was looking at it, I actually saved $350 because the guy put a box of ammo through it.

I hate it when a seller is asking more for a used gun than what you can buy it for new. They list the price they paid new, and I think. what an idiot. I always want to message them " Hey Mr. Potato Head, do you realize you can buy that Sig brand new for $850 at 4Seasons?" But I never do. I also hate it when they list "Extras" and it is garbage you don't want. No I don't want your Serpa holster or alum case blazer ammo.

But my biggest pet peeve is when the seller lists a 1911 in near perfect condition, but the picture clearly shows an idiot scratch.

I could care less about transfer fees. If $25 bucks is make or break on the transaction, you probably shouldn't be wasting people's time.

Last edited:
and what the hell does "south of boston", "north of boston", "metro west", "off of rt. 2" and the like mean to me? some serious liberties taken with the location descriptions.

I only have two complaints regarding ads: No location & no price. Also violates the rules, so one could report such ads if one wanted to do so.

If you state an FFL transfer, why not state which FFL or at least the city/town the FFL is located in??

There are so many ads that violate the rules that get posted daily that hounding the Mods about it will just drive them insane. I don't suggest doing that. Just ignore the ad and move on.

How do you appeal negative feedback for a transaction that was never committed to?

Contacted a guy here about a rifle and asked via pm at 7:07am when he was available. He replied at 8:38 that he was available all day, but did not provide a location where I could meet, nor a contact email or phone #: I provided him both in my initial pm.

Spoke with my son and then pm’d prospective seller we were no longer interested at 10:20am. It’s a one hour drive to Milford, MA so if I’d left immediately after he responded wouldn’t have been there until 9:38. Guess that 42 minutes of waiting was unbearable. He interpreted my pm comment “Sounds great” as a commitment to buy, apparently.

He then left me negative buyer feedback, saying he’d already removed the ad and that I’d backed out. Except the ad is still there.....

Last edited:
Location, location, location. I've pretty much given up looking for stuff, since I have to wade through each ad, only to find out that it's in Mass. and I can't buy it there anyway (plus, MA prices are always waaaay higher).

I filter first by doing a search for "NH" in the private WTS ad forums. It's about 95% effective at weeding out ads that are of no use to me.

How do you appeal negative feedback for a transaction that was never committed to?

Contacted a guy here about a rifle and asked via pm at 7:07am when he was available. He replied at 8:38 that he was available all day, but did not provide a location where I could meet, nor a contact email or phone #: I provided him both in my initial pm.

Spoke with my son and then pm’d prospective seller we were no longer interested at 10:20am. It’s a one hour drive to Milford, MA so if I’d left immediately after he responded wouldn’t have been there until 9:38. Guess that 42 minutes of waiting was unbearable. He interpreted my pm comment “Sounds great” as a commitment to buy, apparently.

He then left me negative buyer feedback, saying he’d already removed the ad and that I’d backed out. Except the ad is still there.....
Out him!

Back
Top Bottom