Just My 2 Cents About Ads

FWIW Armslist out here is way worse....There is not a single gun for sale in the classifieds for LESS than Brand New...I think people think they can get away with a premium for "no paperwork"...

Also, flakes run rampant and there is never any good trade bait. I don't want your Glock 22 no matter how cheap it is....

What I don't get, is the number of people on a supposedly-freedom-loving site, that think that they should be able to tell others how to write an ad! [laugh]

Yes, the rules : price, location, etc., should be followed, but after that....who cares what's posted? A crappy ad will not sell the item; a too-high price is just a starting point (or dreaming, or a need to get maximum ROI), and will result in negotiation, or a lowered price. Isn't the definition of a "fair" deal one in which nobody's happy? [laugh] And isn't the definition of a value for [insert item here] what someone is willing to pay?

Saying that you should not ask too much money for an item is like saying that Hugo Chavez should be in charge of the classifieds. And, without people asking too much, we'd likely have no idea where to get a pedestal sink, in an emergency. Think of all the quaint houses that got ocean-sprayed this weekend, that may need period specific bathroom fixtures.

I've seen many classifieds with "SOLD- please delete" that I thought were crazy high-priced. Crazy like a fox, maybe?

How do you appeal negative feedback for a transaction that was never committed to?

Contacted a guy here about a rifle and asked via pm at 7:07am when he was available. He replied at 8:38 that he was available all day, but did not provide a location where I could meet, nor a contact email or phone #: I provided him both in my initial pm.

Spoke with my son and then pm’d prospective seller we were no longer interested at 10:20am. It’s a one hour drive to Milford, MA so if I’d left immediately after he responded wouldn’t have been there until 9:38. Guess that 42 minutes of waiting was unbearable. He interpreted my pm comment “Sounds great” as a commitment to buy, apparently.

He then left me negative buyer feedback, saying he’d already removed the ad and that I’d backed out. Except the ad is still there.....
Out him. That’s total bullshit.

I’ll see what the Moderators see about how to handle it before we get to that.

Have to check to see who handles the Classifieds.

Last edited:
I gave him negative feedback. I’ll out myself. He PMd me he wanted to buy the 10/22 I had listed. I marked it sale pending and told 3 different people they were sold. Then he PMd me this morning to say he changed his mind.

Try to get away with that on Gunbroker and they’ll kick you off the site.

Last edited:
FWIW Armslist out here is way worse....There is not a single gun for sale in the classifieds for LESS than Brand New...I think people think they can get away with a premium for "no paperwork"...

Also, flakes run rampant and there is never any good trade bait. I don't want your Glock 22 no matter how cheap it is....
I couldn't give away my glock 22. I broke it up and sold the frame to a guy doing a build, and the slide and mags to a guy with a G17.

I couldn't give away my glock 22. I broke it up and sold the frame to a guy doing a build, and the slide and mags to a guy with a G17.

Gen 4 Police Trades Unissued with night sights and 3 mags $319 shipped right now! Why can't the FBI go back to fo-tay so I can scoop up 9mm handguns at these prices!

I gave him negative feedback. I’ll out myself. He PMd me he wanted to buy the 10/22 I had listed. I marked it sale pending and told 3 different people they were sold. Then he PMd me this morning to say he changed his mind.

Pending means pending...not sold. Ie: holding it for someone, but it's not a done deal. Paypal deposits will cure this.

A real problem is comments are not allowed on ads, so there is no "correction by the hive" if someone advertises a used item for less than reputable sellers are offering it for new. This makes the forum an accomplice in an effort to dupe buyers by finding a low information prospect as a buyer.

A real problem is comments are not allowed on ads, so there is no "correction by the hive" if someone advertises a used item for less than reputable sellers are offering it for new. This makes the forum an accomplice in an effort to dupe buyers by finding a low information prospect as a buyer.
rob, ok, i'm stupid, not quite getting what you're trying to say here. [thinking]

Buyers list of gripes.

I'll take it, nothing else
I'll take it on a Saturday night means their drunk and will never buy
No trades, then offer a trade
The no show, which is why I no longer travel for a sale.

FSguns price is not valid if you don't live close to them. Go ahead and spend half a day, gas money and taxes to get it from FS, I don't care.

The problem was a bunch of children can't control themselves and leave fair comments.

He is saying that if you could leave a comment like.. " Hey, you do know that Four Seasons sell them brand new for $20 bucks less?" It would prevent guys from trolling for a sucker.
Years ago, when comments were allowed in ad threads I posted "You're joking, right?" when someone was trying to sell a junko 25 (I think I twas a Raven) for more than retail. That earned me my first and only violation.

I privately emailed a seller (Pelican case) to let him know he was asking more than new on casesforless.com. I got a nice "I didn't know" reply back and the ad was adjusted to a fair price relative to new.

The key is INFORMED BUYER. Unfortunately, the rules for ads block one of the most effective mechanisms to make sure buyers have the most complete data on the marketplace.

Years ago, when comments were allowed in ad threads I posted "You're joking, right?" when someone was trying to sell a junko 25 (I think I twas a Raven) for more than retail. That earned me my first and only violation.

I privately emailed a seller (Pelican case) to let him know he was asking more than new on casesforless.com. I got a nice "I didn't know" reply back and the ad was adjusted to a fair price relative to new.

The key is INFORMED BUYER. Unfortunately, the rules for ads block one of the most effective mechanisms to make sure buyers have the most complete data on the marketplace.
Buyers have the internet to figure out what they are paying for is at a market price. If you pull the plug on a deal in the classifieds 10% over retail, that's on you. That's not on NES.

Seriously it's 2018, if you pay too much it's on you. I saw two lowers in there today listed at $1000 each. Do I need to tell any idiot that the price may be a tad high?

it must have been a scream here in the days you could leave comments in the classified. imagine the comments in just the parlor rifle and pedestal sink ads, would have been more than worth the price of admission. longing for the glory days i am. [laugh]

i've only done a few sales, and about 4-5 purchases but i always give the buyer the benefit of the doubt. one buyer was stuck in traffic but eventually made it. another buyer had to postpone by a day, then another day. still worked out. sh*t happens. i prefer to speak or text by phone. makes it a lot easier.

but i would not give a neg trader rating to a deal that just didn't work for whatever reason. there's always another buyer

only one that pissed me off was the guy i bought a sig 938 from. gave him a positive, he assured me he'd reciprocate, and never did. shoulda known, he only joined NES to sell a couple of guns, never saw another post from him. and now that i think about it, he effed up the transfer paperwork and i only got a receipt for the transaction, not a copy of the efa-10.

it must have been a scream here in the days you could leave comments in the classified. imagine the comments in just the parlor rifle and pedestal sink ads, would have been more than worth the price of admission. longing for the glory days i am. [laugh]

i'm guessing cooler just keeps bumping that stuff for the giggles now. not laughing here [frown]

Do I need to tell any idiot that the price may be a tad high?
The question is not what you need to or should do, but should the administrator prohibit others from doing so?

I'm not thinking about scarce items where the market is seeking an equilibrium (If I had spare lowers, $1K would not pry one out of my safe, so they must be worth more than that to me), but when I see someone advertising a current product "$250 New, $200 used...." when the street price is $199.95 new, perhaps a bit less at Four Seasons. What good to the list, other than protecting sellers at the expense of potential buyers, does a blackout/prohibition of comments serve? Is not a primary purpose of the list the free exchange of information?

I would be interested in hearing a response to the comment "Are refills currently available for the frostee?" :D
Leaving comments would be impolite no matter how helpful you think you are.
I would consider it impolite to tacitly assist someone in their search for a sucker by remaining silent.

I expect the quality of ads would improve if people trying the "I'll find some sucker who thinks full retail is the actual street price" game knew they would be challenged.

Last edited:
My pet peeves are lack of location - I like to know if it's in NH so there is a possibility of a FTF - and people deleting their whole ad or the asking price after they sell something.

A previous poster said buyers should use the Web to research prices to see if a price is reasonable. Kind of hard to do if that local market price information has been removed here and you can no longer reference it.

- and people deleting their whole ad or the asking price after they sell something.

A previous poster said buyers should use the Web to research prices to see if a price is reasonable. Kind of hard to do if that local market price information has been removed here and you can no longer reference it.

This

Thanks, here are all our PM’s, verbatim and others can decide. CN He assumed “Sounds great” was “I’m going to buy your rifle.” I’ll thus assume that his “outing himself” is license to publish the PM’s we exchanged.

Me, Friday 5:45pm

“Sounds great. What’s your schedule next few days? I’ll be driving out from Boston.” And my name, email and cell #

Him Friday 5:52pm

“Let me know when you want to be here and I’ll be here. We can do the transfer at my house if you like.” (No address, no contact info)

Me Sat 7:07am

“Wherever you like. Let me see what the kids are up to, should be able to come out this morning if that works for you.”

Him 8:38am Sat

“Morning is great.”

Me, Sat 10:18am (Still no address or phone # from him)

“Talked to my son, who is a lefty, and he wants to stick with his LH bolt action for now. GLWS”

Him 11:12am “OK”

Me, 12:45 Sat (after noticing negative feedback)

“Guess I should have been more clear that I was only coming to look at it, and had not committed to buying it sight unseen.

Guess it goes without saying you never provided a location or any contact info. That’s what I get for dealing with Milennials.”

Him 1:20pm

“I’m 54 and you said ‘I’ll take it.’”

Me 1:27pm

“You are wrong. Look at all the text above and show me where it says, “I’ll take it.” I said “It sounds great.” That is not a commitment to purchase a rifle sight unseen.

Explain how am I supposed to buy it when I didn’t know where you live?”

Then he went radio silent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom