Is this a pipe dream???

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
The past few weeks I have been hankering for a new firearm. I decided to look at .22 revolvers. The inexpensive Ruger Wrangler sorta caught my eye. It’s cheap (well, maybe was) and the reviews I’ve seen are pretty good. My $$ limit is about $300 so if I find a used a revolver in great shape, not necessarily the Ruger I would probably jump on it…

I have an older 22/45 Ruger but it's a semi auto. I want something I can shoot.22LR, Shorts and CBs out of.

Is it a pipe dream to think I’m going to find one at a place like Shooter’s in Hooksett? I’m thinking about strolling down there tomorrow to see what they have, if anything.

The past few weeks I have been hankering for a new firearm. I decided to look at .22 revolvers. The inexpensive Ruger Wrangler sorta caught my eye. It’s cheap (well, maybe was) and the reviews I’ve seen are pretty good. My $$ limit is about $300 so if I find a used a revolver in great shape, not necessarily the Ruger I would probably jump on it…

I have an older 22/45 Ruger but it's a semi auto. I want something I can shoot.22LR, Shorts and CBs out of.

Is it a pipe dream to think I’m going to find one at a place like Shooter’s in Hooksett? I’m thinking about strolling down there tomorrow to see what they have, if anything.

Two years ago, in non-pandemic times, it took me several months and a very concerted effort to track down the right .22 revolver. I wish you better luck than I had, but it seems your odds are much longer.

Ended up with a Smith 617...But it was very difficult finding any .22 revolvers.

22 smith.jpg

I'm with you timbo. I also want a .22lr revolver for range fun. I'd love a Taurus 942. I'd prefer a S&W 317-2, but I have a feeling that prices on those are outside of what I'd be willing to spend.

Funny though. Pre-pandemic, I probably glanced over several .22lr revolvers at various gun stores and didn't give it much thought. Now that I want one and SHTF already, it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

The Ruger Wrangler is an excellent single action .22 LR single action revolver built like a tank and great looking too. Sights could be better but work if you put some red or white paint on the front sight. Love mine and they are a deal at the $200-$225 you can usually get a new one for.

The Ruger Wrangler is an excellent single action .22 LR single action revolver built like a tank and great looking too. Sights could be better but work if you put some red or white paint on the front sight. Love mine and they are a deal at the $200-$225 you can usually get a new one for.

Or win this month's giveaway!

Save your money and get a 617 or something like that instead. Or something similar. I think smith made a 3" "kit gun" 22 LR as well that was like an 8 shot.

I am biased though. Single action revolvers make me go to sleep practically. When I cant sleep at night, I just think of a rossi reproduction clunker or something, out like a light. [rofl]

There's a small mom and pop store that I can drive by on my way home tonight and check them out. They are usually a couple of % higher than the bigger stores but they are good people and I like to give them business when I can. They might have a Wrangler there that I can fondle and perhaps walk out the store with it if I like it

Meh, screw gun broker. There are other companies that sell online.

Yeah, those gun skinflint sittes... the ones that are out of stock on everything, or drop ship from someone else. No thanks.

A third way is find some of the GB sellers, don't use GB to buy the gun. Call them on the phone, or send them an email. You might be surprised at the results. That will be another way to dodge tax shit post wayfair.

Yeah, those gun skinflint sittes... the ones that are out of stock on everything, or drop ship from someone else. No thanks.

A third way is find some of the GB sellers, don't use GB to buy the gun. Call them on the phone, or send them an email. You might be surprised at the results. That will be another way to dodge tax shit post wayfair.

I've done this before. Some are quite receptive to working this way. I think they actually prefer not having to deal with GB themselves.

It seems like everyone wants self defense guns so I'm thinking you'll have a better chance of finding a .22. Shooter's had a lot of single actions the last few times I was there. I'd take the ride to Shooter's. They might even have some primers.

I've done this before. Some are quite receptive to working this way. I think they actually prefer not having to deal with GB themselves.

I've never actually bought anything on GB by pressing the buttons. I've bought tons of stuff by finding out who the dealer is and talking to them on the
phone, or sending them an email.

It seems like everyone wants self defense guns so I'm thinking you'll have a better chance of finding a .22. Shooter's had a lot of single actions the last few times I was there. I'd take the ride to Shooter's. They might even have some primers.

Part of the problem with the ammo crunch is the same shit is happening all over again. people dont wanna pay $30-50 for a box of 9 so they are shooting any 22 LR they can get their
hands on. I even bought a 22/45 during this bullshit. (and anyone who knows me knows how much I hate 22 LR. ) [rofl] At least the MKIV is easy to take apart.

Part of the problem with the ammo crunch is the same shit is happening all over again. people dont wanna pay $30-50 for a box of 9 so they are shooting any 22 LR they can get their
hands on. I even bought a 22/45 during this bullshit. (and anyone who knows me knows how much I hate 22 LR. ) [rofl] At least the MKIV is easy to take apart.
yeah, I have the earlier 22/45 with the non replaceable grips (MkII ?). It's a better shot than I am. I've thought about putting in some Volquardson (sp?) upgraeds but they are pretty pricey.

Mine isn't hard to take apart but it was a bitch to get back together the first few times I tried, especially that I bought this before YouTube.

Where were all you guys when I was selling my SW .22 8 shot kit gun 2-3 years ago. I think I bumped that 10 times.
It is a nice little gun. I hope the guy who bought it is happy with it.
Forgot why I sold it. Think I needed $$. or something.

I've seen a few at Shooting Supply in Westport this Monday, I think the odds of finding them in any store are pretty good right now. 22 pistols/revolvers aren't the go to for panic buying

I've seen a few at Shooting Supply in Westport this Monday, I think the odds of finding them in any store are pretty good right now. 22 pistols/revolvers aren't the go to for panic buying
Yeah, I'm basically buying this as a farm carry gun for when I move to Missouri...slithering snake shaped critters and all. :cool:

That's probably true about not going for panic buyers, but then you have seasoned gun owners who are bored and can't find/afford center fire rounds.

In stock as of 11:25 AM EDT

I knew I saw one in the dealer classifieds.

I knew I saw one in the dealer classifieds.

Yeah...I saw that too but I don't want to deal with the whole NH buying in Mass thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom