• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is there a way to carry internationally when you travel?

Papua New Guinea carry licenses are (or at least were - things could have changed since I was last updated) treated like taxi medallions. No new ones are issues, so it you want one you have to buy one from an existing license holder. The existing license is voided and a new one issued in your name (subject to approval). The going rate was over $50K - and this goes back a few decades.

My friend down under claimed to have one, and naturally me immediate reaction was "yeah, right" - then he emailed me a photo of a well worn laminated card (like an older RI AG permit, not printed on credit card style plastic) - good enough to convince me it was almost certainly real. The last I heard he sold it to some Chinese person who was doing business in PNG.

I used to have an Ontario, Canada eh? handgun permit, but it was very clear on the permit and related correspondence that it was for possession and transport only, not for defensive carry. If you have permission to take a handgun to a match in Thailand (the last I checked) the Thai police met you at the airport, you turned over your gun, and it was lent to you at the competition - and the Thai police met you at the airport to give it back to you when you checked your luggage.

Looks like it is possible in Argentina, but for hunting and competition.
They mention carry, but I don't think they mean conceal carry a handgun while walking around.

I think the prices are in pesos.

OP is going to jail ... abroad.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom